• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Late to the best Mario game you never played - PAPER MARIO 64.

Borys

Banned
Insert obligatory: yes I've beaten M&L: SS, SMRPG and own PM2 but have yet to play it.

On to PM which I beat just 8 hours ago.

Wow, Paper Mario for the N64 is a damn cool game and hell - a better Mario game than say Super Mario Sunshine.

To be frank I have my doubts to call it only a Mario game - it borrows so many things and ideas from any Zelda game that sometimes it just *feel* like a Zelda game, especially in areas when you can't get to because you lack an ability or don't have that special item... yet.

BTW Searching for Party Member Upgrade Blocks = Searching for Heart Containers.

What was so awesome about PM?

MUSIC - Dry Dry Desert, Boo's Mansion, Bowser's Theme, Shiver Village tunes are absolutely great. The battle music could use some more variation though - one combat mix and one boss mix isn't enough.

LEVELS or should I call them dungeons? Cities? Mini-worlds? MT. Lavalava, Shy Guy's Toy Box, Crystal Palace, Flower Fields - absolutely amazing design of puzzles, enemies placement and hidden items.

OMG PRINCESS PEACH IS SAM FISHER

GRAPHICS - goddamn this looked like a cartoon way before Celda. 2D sprites made to 3D objects that beat the shit out of Mario 64's graphics. ANIMATION is top-notch too.

BOSS FIGHTS - I mean wow, just wow. From the Koopa Bros' Mecha Bowser, through meetings with Jr. Koopa, Huff n' Puff and Crystal King - all perfectly designed and executed bosses that more than often kicked your ass if you weren't prepared (proper badges!). When I lost to Huff N' Puff for the first time I took him only ONE HP off his total!
Oh and Master from the Dojo. One tough motherfucker especially in the super-sayan mode.

GAME SYSTEM
Different party members for different "overworld" tasks, different combat skills and different side-quests. Whoa.
HP = HP, Mana = FP, Skill Points = Badges and SKILLS that you can activate/deactivate at your own will. Talk about an ingenious system. No more of the "Help! I need a 200 page FAQ thread cause I'm stuck with some crappy Barb skillz in Diablo 2" :lol :lol :lol BTW Pallys > Barbs in D2.

OMG PRINCESS PEACH BAKES A PIE

VARIOUS SIDE-QUESTS & STUFF
Backtracking throught the whole goddamn world, every nook & cranny, every map area just to fight the missing Star Shards? CHECK and... fun.

Doing the same shit over again to find INVISIBLE blocks with Watts? CHECK and... no, thanks.

Random quizes, cooking recipes, Koopa's Koot errands, timed trading events, Lil' Oinks farms etc. This game has side stuff to do in SPADES.

Man, I'm gonna miss Paper Mario now... that is untill I boot Paper Mario 2 for the first time sometime next week, YAY! :D

If I had to rank Mario RPGs I'd do it this way:

PM > M&L: SS >>>>>> Super Mario RPG (take those nostalgia glasses off, this game was CRAP)

I'd love to play Partners in Time alas I don't have and don't plan to own a DS.

Yet.

OMG PRINCESS PEACH FIGHTS WITH KAMY KOOPA

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Borys said:
PM > M&L: SS >>>>>> Super Mario RPG (take thos nostalgia glasses off, this game was CRAP)

I'd love to play Partners in Time alas I don't have and don't plan to own a DS.

Yet.

You Sir are dead wrong

Dyne

I've never understood the hype for any of the Mario RPG's after the original Mario RPG. They're decent games but I personally haven't liked any of them enough to beat them.

Nothing beats Mario RPG.

I rented it towards the very end of the life of the N64. I already had Dreamcast. I figured I'd try out the game. I freaking loved it. I got really close to the end (I think). I was going to buy it, but I didn't feel like going through the game again. (I rarely play through games more than once) I bought and beat Paper Mario:TTYD though. I agree with the rest of the posts that it took everything and made it better.

Kroole

Yeah it's really a great game and IMO better than SMRPG and the portable versions.

PM2 does everything better though with its graphics, funny script and an improved battle system.

Beezy

Paper Mario for N64 was a great game with a hilarious commercial. I wish more people played it. My friends would say stupid shit like, "How can you play that? It's fuckin' paper!"

I haven't gotten through The Thousand Year Door yet, so I can't compare them.

nubbe

Paper Mario and the sequel are the best games there is. It feels so damn good to play them... I get all fluffy and warm on the inside.

I've played it. Don't you tell me what I have and have not played.

Anyway, here's how the Mario RPGs rank:

Paper Mario TTYD > Paper Mario > Mario & Luigi > Partners in Time > Super Mario RPG (OVERRATED RAGH)

Tarazet

Archie said:
Paper Mario 2 is much better than Paper Mario. GO PLAY IT NOW

QFT! I loved every minute of PM2, then tried to play PM1 after that. The difference is immense. You will be in love right away.

Borys

Banned
Archie said:
Paper Mario 2 is much better than Paper Mario. GO PLAY IT NOW

Yay :) I know, I read reviews but I simply HAD to finish PM1 first - I want to beat them in chronological order!

CO_Andy

I find M&L & Mario RPG to be much more satisfying games based on their difficulty level. PM2 is extremely easy.

CO_Andy said:
I find M&L & Mario RPG to be much more satisfying games based on their difficulty level. PM2 is extremely easy.

Difficulty? I found SMRPG to be way too easy. Not only is there little skill required in winning a battle, but once you get really good equipment, like the Lazy Shells and the Suit, you can beat anyone without really trying.

acidviper

Banned
Apenheul said:
Let me be the first one to say M&L:SS > PM2 > PM > SMRPG. I haven't played PiT yet.
Have you got this backwards guy? Props to MLSS, but SMRPG belongs at the bottom of no list. Its old school Square. I couldn't stand PM2. The whole princess/voyeur computer and infinite backtracking are just awful.

Ark-AMN

Banned
I was just going to start up another game of Paper Mario 2. When you get to it, be sure to talk to Luigi about his "adventures" during the game, and be sure to also speak to his "partners" about the truths behind those stories. Pure comedy genious.

Ark-AMN

Banned
I don't understand how anyone could like Super Mario RPG. First of all it was easier than all the other Mario RPG's (I never lost a battle), and then it was extremely short (I beat it under 6 hours, maybe even close to 5).

acidviper said:
Have you got this backwards guy? Props to MLSS, but SMRPG belongs at the bottom of no list. Its old school Square. I couldn't stand PM2. The whole princess/voyeur computer and infinite backtracking are just awful.

See, this is what I'm talking about. Super Mario RPG has aged terribly, and everyone ignores it. Now that true Mario RPGs are here, they are insistant that SMRPG is so much better. Honestly, what does SMRPG do that makes it better? It's certainly not the charm, it's certainly not the gameplay, and it's certainly not the ingenuity.

Yep, Super Mario RPG isn't too great. Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga is the real crap of this sub-franchise though. Awful repetitive shit with no payback for playing. Ugh.

Paper Marios are all good.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Yeah Paper Mario is great, although it's the game that appealed to me the least. Imo it's:
SMRPG=PM2>M&L:SS>PM1, didn't play Brothers in Time yet, but I will soon do it. Overall, Mario RPGs are really great, I love them :).

Ark-AMN

Banned
Hmm, yeah, I dont know why AlphaDream took the route they did with PiT's design. I guess maybe they tried to do something different. Oh well, it wasn't that much of a success. I mean, you really shouldn't get rid of the "overworld" in an RPG for starters. Then the whole time travel thing was pretty much wasted (I mean, come on, you only did stuff in the past). It really did sound like the whole premise of the games design was built upon needing to do something with the X and Y buttons on the DS.

Apenheul

acidviper said:

SMRPG is the only one I haven't finished. Perhaps I quit too soon? MLSS definately gets my vote though

Johnas

I also played and finished PM2 before even playing 1 (haven't finished 1 yet) and the difference is huge. 2 is just so polished, so crisp, so shiny in comparison. And the music rocks.

1 is still a good game, but I definitely felt like I was going back in time with it.

For the record, my stance is PM2-SMRPG-M&L:SS-PM, even though I as I stated, I haven't finished the first Paper Mario yet.

Cheebs

All The Mario RPG's are great. PM2 is better than PM easily though. M&L is still my favorite of the "franchise". M&L 2 while great just felt too much like the first game which is not that old so I was a bit burned out.

Ark-AMN

Banned
Heh, with all this talk about it, I sure hope that Nintendo (Intelligent Systems) is hard at work with Paper Mario 3 for the Revolution (though I gotta admint, I have no clue how that controller can be used for this type of game).

Considering that PM2 did sell more than the original (someone must have the sales data to back me up here), Nintendo would be nuts not to make another.

dark_chris

Gold Member
i am still trying to find Bower's Theme somewhere on the net. I loved that theme. Possibly the best theme I heard for a Mario game theme character. **dunno if it made sense** :lol

Cheebs

Ark-AMN said:
Heh, with all this talk about it, I sure hope that Nintendo (Intelligent Systems) is hard at work with Paper Mario 3 for the Revolution (though I gotta admint, I have no clue how that controller can be used for this type of game).
Doubt it. PM 1 and 2 both came out in the later half of the systems life. I expect the same for PM3.

What IS needs to be doing is Fire Emblem DS. *drools*

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I don't know why I still think SMRPG is the best one. I know the gameplay wise, art wise, Superstar Saga and the Paper Mario series have it beat, but there's just something awesome about Nintendo and Square's joint effort that made it the one I remember the most today.

ethelred

BorkBork said:
I don't know why I still think SMRPG is the best one. I know the gameplay wise, art wise, Superstar Saga and the Paper Mario series have it beat, but there's just something awesome about Nintendo and Square's joint effort that made it the one I remember the most today.

It's because of the Mole People.

ethelred

Archie said:
After Fire Emblem Revolution with gorgeous hand drawn sprites and online play ;)

Online play works in a lot of games. It'll work great in a lot of Revolution games. But I don't think online play would contribute much at all to Fire Emblem, and I'd prefer IntSys just leaves it out rather than trying to cram it in just for the sake of cramming it in (and this holds true with Fire Emblem DS, as well).

Cheebs said:
How about both. ;)

Agreed, both are needed and I hope both are in development (which isn't terribly far-fetched, as Path of Radiance and Sacred Stones were both developed simultaneously). They need to get the Fire Emblem DS engine up and running so they can then quickly crank out a handful of sequels, just like with the GBA.

I hope the Revolution Fire Emblem continues the story of Path of Radiance.

Also, what this thread really proves is that Intelligent Systems is one of the most awesome developers ever.

Archie said:
After Fire Emblem Revolution with gorgeous hand drawn sprites and online play ;)

What they should really focus on is making Advance Wars 4 online. Fire Emblem DS online is, well, pointless (although, I speak as someone who's only played the GBA FE's multiplayer, and am not sure if they've improved it any).

Amir0x

Banned
Yeah, these games are awesome. Special props for the translation, which in most of the Mario RPGs is just leaps and bounds beyond the competition.

Flipmo23

This thread makes me want to try all the Mario RPG's....I've only played the one on SNES.

I only have enough for one or 2 of them right now, so which would you recommend to start with, and if I were to play through all of em, in what particular order as to not ruin the last one?

1 - Paper Mario 64
2 - Paper Mario 2
3 - Mario and Luigi: SS
4 - Mario and Luigi: PIT

????

Kroole

Flipmo23 said:
This thread makes me want to try all the Mario RPG's....I've only played the one on SNES.

I only have enough for one or 2 of them right now, so which would you recommend to start with, and if I were to play through all of em, in what particular order as to not ruin the last one?

1 - Paper Mario 64
2 - Paper Mario 2
3 - Mario and Luigi: SS
4 - Mario and Luigi: PIT

????

My suggestion:

PM64->PM2

M&L:ss->M&L:pit

The console versions are different from the portable ones so it's basically two different versions of the same franchise (Mario RPG).

ethelred

Mr_Moogle said:
Maybe Fire Emblem DS at E3?

I really want a Golden Sun for the DS as well.

I was disappointed Golden Sun never manifested itself on the GameCube, because it was a pretty awesome RPG series. Golden Sun and Fire Emblem both deserve to make appearances on the DS and the Revolution. These systems need more RPG love -- I also wouldn't mind seeing another new RPG franchise from Camelot, too.

Kroole

ethelred said:
I was disappointed Golden Sun never manifested itself on the GameCube, because it was a pretty awesome RPG series. Golden Sun and Fire Emblem both deserve to make appearances on the DS and the Revolution. These systems need more RPG love -- I also wouldn't mind seeing another new RPG franchise from Camelot, too.

Well there was a bunch of rumours about the Camelot RPG that was bound for Gamecube. Hopefully it was relocated to the Rev.

Top Bottom