• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Late to the best Mario game you never played - PAPER MARIO 64.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
The ravens in PM2 are fucking awesome.

The only thing that kind of sucks about PM2 is the backtracking. It gets REALLY bad at times.

Jasoco

Banned
I loved Paper Mario 2. I own Mario RPG and the two Mario & Luigi's, but yes, I never played the original Paper Mario. And I feel sad about it. Which is why I really hope Nintendo makes it available to download on the Revolution.

The only thing I hated about PM2 was the leveling up system. No Experience, just flowers that if you went back to earlier enemies to level up, they gave you less points than they used to. It just seemed too frustrating to level up in PM2.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Haven't played too much of the Paper Mario games, but Mario and Luigi: SSS was some of the most charming and hilarious writing I've ever seen.

At the moment, though my favorite Mario RPG is SMRPG.

I was starting to get a bit tired of Paper Mario 2 for some reason. My guess was the backtracking as well, the wrestling level wasnt all so hot either...hmm...

I beat it but man...really tiresome

I really liked when you beat the game and reload your save that it acts as if you revisited Rogue Island, because Mario would never revisit such a place in any sequel =P

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
HeadsUpSevenUp said:
Even better than the parade from Paper Mario?? Luigi led both!

I was hoping they would continue the tradition in the rest of the games, but saldy, these are the only two games with the legendary Luigi Parade.

Yes, it's better than the Paper Mario one... mainly because SMRPG's ending parade is a blatant attempt to emulate a Disneyland (or, more likely, Tokyo Disneyland) parade... especially when it switched over to the "Electric Parade" floats. Heh...

jett

D-Member
I gotta say...Paper Mario is one of the most insanely overrated games I've played, and one of the easiest too. :p It's a fun diversion, but seeet jebus some people act as if it was the best RPG ever. I think I liked Mario RPG better back when it came out. :p

Ark-AMN

Banned
Jasoco said:
The only thing I hated about PM2 was the leveling up system. No Experience, just flowers that if you went back to earlier enemies to level up, they gave you less points than they used to. It just seemed too frustrating to level up in PM2.
It was the exact same leveling-up system that was used in Paper Mario 1.

Oh, one other thing I loved about PM2 was the audience intereaction, not only in normal boss battles but especially in "special" battles when enemies would use the audience to their advantage (usually at the audiences expense) :D

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Ark-AMN said:
It was the exact same leveling-up system that was used in Paper Mario 1.

Oh, one other thing I loved about PM2 was the audience intereaction, not only in normal boss battles but especially in "special" battles when enemies would use the audience to their advantage (usually at the audiences expense) :D
Hooktail
ruled. :D

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
GaimeGuy said:
Hooktail
ruled. :D

That part was weird... it was the point at which the game severely deviated from the mood of a typical Mario game. The final boss battle was pretty odd, too.

Top Bottom