• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Late to the party: iPod

Status
Not open for further replies.

kumanoki

One of my friends just got one of these things, a 60GB one that does pictures. I don't need that, but maybe a 40GB iPod could be in my future. What are your opinions on the iPod performance-wise? Any commendations? Any problems?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I had a 4th generation 40gb model (clickwheel) and was leaning towards replacing it with a cheaper competitor. I, instead, traded up to a 60gb iPod photo and have since had my iPod love renewed.

sheep-4.jpg

join the herd

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
There's a thread like this every week.. and every week the iRiver is still better.

Dilbert

I've been thinking about upgrading, since my 20 GB third-gen is completely full, but I'm torn between a) the 40 GB fourth-gen, b) the 40 GB iPod Photo, and c) putting up with manual sync until the fifth-gen gets announced. Each of them has a downside -- the base 4G is clearly incremental, not revolutionary...the iPod Photo is expensive and larger than the other models...and the fifth-gen hasn't been announced yet and I'm out of space now.

Still, iPods are amazing. I've enjoyed mine to death.

GG-Duo

Hitman said:
There's a thread like this every week.. and every week the iRiver is still better.

Not necessarily. It really depends on what you need.

Features, sound, plug-and-play, battery life = iRiver.

Usability, screen readability, categorzing = iPod.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Hitman said:

Look, the man's eyeing an iPod, it'd be awesome if we can just have one - one - thread where it doesn't turn into a screaming match between technophiles with iRivers, and people willing to pay more and get an iPod.

Anyway, the iPhoto's a little...excessive. I'd almost say that you can get away with a 20GB iPod, unless you KNOW you're going to be shoving more than 5,000 tracks onto it, or you want to encode at a slightly higher bitrate than 128kbps/AAC. I'd almost recommend getting the 20GB model, and using the extra, saved cash and getting a good pair of headphones instead.

Outside of that, the iPod is a great device for those who want hassle free, portable music. It relies entirely on metadata to organize the music, so you don't need to fuss around with folders, files, and file structures; iTunes and the iPod don't need to be directed unless you'd like the option, and you can obviously use the thing as a portable, USB hard drive if you move a lot of raw data around.

kumanoki

I'm not going to apologize for making a 'late to the party' thread, because that's exactly what I am. I don't know anything about iPods, and this is the first I've ever heard of iRiver.

xsarien said:
Look, the man's eyeing an iPod, it'd be awesome if we can just have one - one - thread where it doesn't turn into a screaming match between technophiles with iRivers, and people willing to pay more and get an iPod.

Anyway, the iPhoto's a little...excessive. I'd almost say that you can get away with a 20GB iPod, unless you KNOW you're going to be shoving more than 5,000 tracks onto it, or you want to encode at a slightly higher bitrate than 128kbps/AAC. I'd almost recommend getting the 20GB model, and using the extra, saved cash and getting a good pair of headphones instead.

Outside of that, the iPod is a great device for those who want hassle free, portable music. It relies entirely on metadata to organize the music, so you don't need to fuss around with folders, files, and file structures; iTunes and the iPod don't need to be directed unless you'd like the option, and you can obviously use the thing as a portable, USB hard drive if you move a lot of raw data around.

I want hassle-free, portable music. I have a MD player, but I'm getting tired of having to haul around stacks of MDs. I have quite a bit of music in my personal collection (300+ CDs, 300+ MDs, lots of downloaded music on the computer) that I'd like to be able to access at any time on the go. The reason I was considering a 40GB model is because I might use some of that space to move some raw data, from work to home, and vice versa.

john tv

more like iGOD

love that thing. don't worship it though, i was just being facetious

happy new year btw! must be cold up there.

kumanoki

john tv said:
more like iGOD

love that thing. don't worship it though, i was just being facetious

happy new year btw! must be cold up there.

Happy new year! How are you feeling? I heard you were sick.

Yes, it's cold as hell up here.

BTW, one of my friends just came back from Tokyo with a 60gb iPhoto, he said it ran him about 7 man. What would I be looking at for one of the 40gb iPods in Aki or someplace downtown?

hobart

I've been an iPod user for some time now and I've never been upset. What I find truly amazing about the iPod, nowadays, is the VAST amount of accessories you can find for your investment. From cases, to radio playing devices... you can find virtually anything for the iPod (and that includes fucking fabric to match whatever shoes you want to wear).

I'm also a Mac user and am floored by the seemless tranfers and compatibilty between the two. Recent developements with iTunes for the PC has really changed my thinking for the iPod for PC... it's better and well done. If there is a problem... I have never had any problems with Apple's customer service... their techs are friendly, responsive... and... AMERICAN.

As far as the interface goes... I love it because it is so simple. I've only used one iRiver product in the past (the SlimX... a MP3 CD Player) and will have to admit was also impressed by the quality. However, having now gone through two full generations of the iPod (as well as having friend who have owned 2nd and 1st gens) I just feel more comfortable with one.

For fast, reliable, easy to use portability... you really cannot go wrong with an iPod. The 20 GB is my favorite... I wouldn't look much further than that. I agree with some of the other posters... the Photo iPod is excessive.

As far as alternatives to the iPod.. I wouldn't look towards the Shuffle just yet. Having read hands on reviews and seeing a vasts amounts of pictures... the thought seems to be that they MISS having a screen... and the lanyard is simply a joke. However I do see the plus side of the Shuffle: active users such a gym goers and joggers will love it, for one: no need to see the screen and it's size and weight a truly ideal. Another plus is Apple's proposed ease of use... plug and play operation (with Auto Fill) is a nice addition to iTunes... but I will warn you... iTunes (and the iPod) have always had a dodgey randomizer (At least in my experience... I've heard others claim the same).

For you... I'd look at the 4th Gen 20 GB iPod... unless you need the ultra portability, size, and weight of a Shuffle (which, BTW, won't ship for another 2-3 weeks).

john tv

kumanoki said:
Happy new year! How are you feeling? I heard you were sick.

Yes, it's cold as hell up here.

BTW, one of my friends just came back from Tokyo with a 60gb iPhoto, he said it ran him about 7 man. What would I be looking at for one of the 40gb iPods in Aki or someplace downtown?
Getting over a nasty cold (feels like SARS 2), but doing good, thanks. I dunno what the larger iPods are running these days but I know the prices are usually pretty comparable with the US, maybe $10 or $20 more, depending where you go. I don't usually shop in Akiba because I prefer getting points at places like Bic Camera and such. (Helps when I can't justify spending $30 on a game but have the points to spare...) :)

I really, really love iPod. I don't know much about iRiver or any of those other players but frankly, I don't care, because iPod does the job I need and it does it well. It's damn sexy, too - can't say that about any other player I've seen.

I've literally had no problems with mine whatsoever. I have a 30GB model from the previous gen (with the buttons), and the only negative thing I can say about it is that the remote is total shit (both in functionality and durability), but I don't really have much use for it anyway, so that never bothered me.

I'm off to get some breakfast now -- hope you can find the info you need!

kumanoki said:
One of my friends just got one of these things, a 60GB one that does pictures. I don't need that, but maybe a 40GB iPod could be in my future. What are your opinions on the iPod performance-wise? Any commendations? Any problems?

I bought a mini and never got more than 3 hours of battery life. Needless to say I took it back and got a full refund. Bastards.

VPhys

Can someone answer this question.

Can I put ___ MP3s____ on the iPod? Or do I have to transcode them to AAC. I take pride in my mp3 colletion and have a specific process for ripping them and storing them on my hard drive. They are all about 10 megs each because I'm a sucker for high quality audio.

Can I just drag and drop these to the ipod? Do I need to use itunes? Do I need to convert them to AAC?

nitewulf

doesnt allow you much control over how the music is setup or transferred, and eats batteries too fast.
but aside from that its a sleek device with awesome navigation.

GG-Duo

Apple Jax said:
I've been an iPod user for some time now and I've never been upset. What I find truly amazing about the iPod, nowadays, is the VAST amount of accessories you can find for your investment. From cases, to radio playing devices... you can find virtually anything for the iPod (and that includes fucking fabric to match whatever shoes you want to wear).

EXCEPT an LCD remote.

Mejilan

To answer the question, I currently have over 14,000 songs in the form of MP3s (mostly VBR Lames, not nasty 128s) on my 60gb photo. I have never bothered with Apple's preferred AAC format. If I ever switch away from the iPod line of portable mp3 players, I'll be able to do so relatively seamlessly by sticking with MP3s.

Truth. The remote is absolutely horrible, and breaks down quickly. I went through 3 of them before I stopped using them entirely.

Like John TV, I pretty much couldn't care less about the competition because the iPod does its job so damn well (yes, on a PC as well.)

Edit - an LCD remote (for the Shuffle AND the standard iPod lines) would be G-DLY.

hobart

GG-Duo said:
EXCEPT an LCD remote.

Truth. WOULD be a nice addition... but I've never felt the need for a remote myself... always found the iPod easy to handle by hand.

As for MP3s... the iPod can be loaded with them... as well as other types of files... including ACC (which is what iTunes sells).

Vgamer said:
Anyone have a Rio Karma or know if they are reliable? Circuitcity has one for $199. It seems like a good price and ive been looking for a good MP3 player thats why I ask.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=79048&c=1

Yea, I had one for about a year and a half and it just died about 2 days ago(hard drive locks up at bootup).. I've heard they have a history of this, dying rather quickly.

I'm debating between an iRiver, and an iPod right now to replace it. Leaning torwards the iriver for it's recording capabilities and support of ogg vorbis. Ipod's interface is so damn cool though.

xsarien

daedsiluap
kumanoki said:
I'm not going to apologize for making a 'late to the party' thread, because that's exactly what I am. I don't know anything about iPods, and this is the first I've ever heard of iRiver.

I want hassle-free, portable music. I have a MD player, but I'm getting tired of having to haul around stacks of MDs. I have quite a bit of music in my personal collection (300+ CDs, 300+ MDs, lots of downloaded music on the computer) that I'd like to be able to access at any time on the go. The reason I was considering a 40GB model is because I might use some of that space to move some raw data, from work to home, and vice versa.

In that case, yeah, go ahead and get the 40. Just do some research and make sure you can live within the concessions Apple's made to the music industry. You can't *easily* transfer your collection between computers. Apple's vision of how it works goes like this:

User #1 has his entire collection of music digitized, the poor bastard can't take it with him. Wait, we know! He can mirror that entire catalog on a portable device, and keep it up to date simply by syncing it with his machine! BRILLIANT!

And it is, no sarcasm intended. The process is seamless, and the only thing you, as a user, have to do is plug the stupid thing into the dock (or cable, if you don't want to buy the dock.) But there are built in protections. The syncing goes one way; iTunes, by default, will match the iPod with whatever the main library contains on your computer. So if you dock to another computer with an empty library, say bye-bye to your music until you get home. You can switch iTunes over to manual, if you prefer more control. That would, for example, let you transfer only pre-selected songs over to your iPod, not the whole magilla.

Of course, there are plenty of alternatives to iTunes on the PC side, EphPod being the most popular. But if you feel inclined to get one, go get it, and don't let anyone stop you. You'll be paying a little more, but you're paying for Apple's UI know-how, and their (very) sturdy hardware. Besides, my position is that if I wanted to listen to the radio at all, I wouldn't be getting a high-capacity digital audio player to begin with. Maybe it's yours too, maybe it isn't.

Mejilan

Actually, even if you do set iTunes to manual, you can still synch up your entire library at once. Just access your library, hit Ctrl-A to select all, then drag and drop the entire selection to your iPod.

And there are freeware 3rd party apps for both Macs and Windows machines that will allow you to copy the contents of your iPod back to your computer. Actually, it CAN be done without any apps as well, just not as cleanly and not through iTunes.

hobart

Mejilan said:
Actually, even if you do set iTunes to manual, you can still synch up your entire library at once. Just access your library, hit Ctrl-A to select all, then drag and drop the entire selection to your iPod.

And there are freeware 3rd party apps for both Macs and Windows machines that will allow you to copy the contents of your iPod back to your computer. Actually, it CAN be done without any apps as well, just not as cleanly and not through iTunes.

If your talking about what I think you are talking about (e.g. the same way you can change those lovely ACC songs you bought on iTunes into MP3s) then you are DEADLY correct.

I won't say for now... but I will say that Leo Laporte around Christmastime last year did explain how to do it on Call for Help (it's pretty obvious... but man is it laborious).

Edit: On second thought... we are thinking of two different things.

Mejilan

Apple Jax said:
If your talking about what I think you are talking about (e.g. the same way you can change those lovely ACC songs you bought on iTunes into MP3s) then you are DEADLY correct.

I won't say for now... but I will say that Leo Laporte around Christmastime last year did explain how to do it on Call for Help (it's pretty obvious... but man is it laborious).

Edit: On second thought... we are thinking of two different things.

I'm not sure what you're talking about, actually. If you use Windows Explorer (on a PC) to access your iPod as a USB hdd, then you can copy your songs back to Windows that way (or so I was told.) However, since iTunes renames and reorganizes all of your music using a gibberishy, proprietary format structure, they won't be organized at all like they were before. (Then, using iTunes or some other metatag manipulating software, you could rename those files off the information stored within the metatags.) It's a pain, but it's doable. I haven't fiddled with the 3rd party apps that claim to copy your music back to your PC intact, but I imagine they make most of this roundabout copying/renaming/reorganizing process invisible by doing most of the hard work for you.

hobart

Simply using it as a HD? Yah that makes sense. The thing is though is that for PC (and even MAC) you'd have to delete your iPod... and then change it to HD use. Then upload all the song onto it (a bitch with PC and USB 2.0... not as fast as FW).

Of course... that's if you were diehard about sharing your shit with people... the normal person keeps it in iPod mode and, thus, is not able to do this on the fly.

I was talking about taking your ACC files and burning them onto a CD (something that iTunes allows you to do). From there you take that same CD and burn the files (as MP3s) back onto your comp... you can now do as you wish with your new MP3 files.

Mejilan

Actually, USB2.0 is slightly faster than Firewire. USB1.1 is the one that is ABYSMALLY slow when compared to USB2 and FW connections.

I'm pretty sure that iTunes allows you to convert AAC files to MP3 straight from the hdd, without burning them to disc.

If not, then other file conversion programs certainly can. After all, isn't AAC just an MP4 shell? I forget. Like I said, I've NEVER bothered with the AAc format (as I hate proprietary formats), and I avoid, whenever possible, converting one compressed format into another compressed format, as it tends to negatively impact sound quality.

Actually, I use iTunes STRICTLY as an iPod interfacing portal. It is not my default music player, metatag editor, or music extraction/conversion program.

Macam

Banned
Mejilan said:
Actually, USB2.0 is slightly faster than Firewire. USB1.1 is the one that is ABYSMALLY slow when compared to USB2 and FW connections.

I'm pretty sure that iTunes allows you to convert AAC files to MP3 straight from the hdd, without burning them to disc.

If not, then other file conversion programs certainly can. After all, isn't AAC just an MP4 shell? I forget. Like I said, I've NEVER bothered with the AAc format (as I hate proprietary formats), and I avoid, whenever possible, converting one compressed format into another compressed format, as it tends to negatively impact sound quality.

Actually, I use iTunes STRICTLY as an iPod interfacing portal. It is not my default music player, metatag editor, or music extraction/conversion program.

Depends on the Firewire. USB 2.0 is 400mbps, where as Firewire 400 is 400mbps and Firewire 800 is 800mbps. So, Firewire is faster, depending.

AAC is the same thing as MP4; Apple just calls it AAC.

You can convert a song or any selection in iTunes to another format, by going to Preferences>Sharing and selecting the format you want to convert to. Then you hit OK, exit Preferences and go to Advanced>Convert Selection To (desired format). iTunes will retain the original file and add the newly formatted file into your Library.

Mejilan

USB2.0 is 480, not 400. (USB1.1 tops out at 12.)

I didn't know FW 800 was even out. A month or two ago I was in the market for a firewire notebook cardbus adaptor, and all of the ones I ever found were 400.

hobart

Macam said:
Depends on the Firewire. USB 2.0 is 400mbps, where as Firewire 400 is 400mbps and Firewire 800 is 800mbps. So, Firewire is faster, depending.

AAC is the same thing as MP4; Apple just calls it AAC.

You can convert a song or any selection in iTunes to another format, by going to Preferences>Sharing and selecting the format you want to convert to. Then you hit OK, exit Preferences and go to Advanced>Convert Selection To (desired format). iTunes will retain the original file and add the newly formatted file into your Library.

I'm still pretty certain, though, that even when you do this you are unable to share downloaded music off iTunes over Network Connections via iTunes (furthermore, I do believe that your name remains branded within the file of the AAC/MP4 file you download).

I'm not sure if the burning to a CD--->Ripping onto your computer actually deletes the name branding iTunes gives to the files... but I do know for certain thaat you CAN share those files ripped over the Network.

I'm going to try to do it simply over iTunes tonight. It's actually something worth doing, IMO (seeing as how there is a massive network for iTunes here in Scotland).

hobart

Just tried to convert and cannot. Because files downloaded over iTunes are protected it simply will not let you convert them over to MP3.

Burning and Ripping (unless you have conversion software) is the only way that I am aware of doing it...

...unless of course you have your own, unprotected, AAC/MP4 files lying around. You can do with those as you wish, of course.

BuddyChrist83 said:
Until you go through two of them in one month.

I'd heard a few dodgy things but I got mine last August and I've dropped it on a wooden floor mid song recently and its been fine.

Macam

Banned
No, you can't convert Protected AAC files; if that was the original context, I missed it. I presumed that the poster was trying to convert an unprotected file. To do convert a Protected AAC file, you'd have to burn it on a CD and rip the tracks off the CD into the desired format or just use some of the programs out there that rip the protection scheme off of it.

If you want to share music you bought via iTMS, you have to grant permission to do so by entering or sharing your Apple ID information; ill-advisable if you don't trust the person, since they have to log out to free up one of your permissions let alone the fact that they can use your account on iTMS. You can do this on up to, if I recall correctly, 5 computers at once.

snaildog

Apple Jax said:
Simply using it as a HD? Yah that makes sense. The thing is though is that for PC (and even MAC) you'd have to delete your iPod... and then change it to HD use. Then upload all the song onto it (a bitch with PC and USB 2.0... not as fast as FW).

Of course... that's if you were diehard about sharing your shit with people... the normal person keeps it in iPod mode and, thus, is not able to do this on the fly.
Huh? I use mine as a hard drive and mp3 player at the same time. Just plug it in and access it through Windows Explorer. I've got it on manual transfer, is that why?

And can anyone recommend an application to get music from an iPod on to a computer? I'll have to do that soon. Cheers.

aoi tsuki

While we're on the subject, whar are the recommended competitors to the iPod that have good screens and are equally as usable? i have no need for an MP3 player, but i have the feeling that if i have the cash laying around, i may just drop a few hundred on one on a whim.

hobart

snaildog said:
Huh? I use mine as a hard drive and mp3 player at the same time. Just plug it in and access it through Windows Explorer. I've got it on manual transfer, is that why?

And can anyone recommend an application to get music from an iPod on to a computer? I'll have to do that soon. Cheers.

I believe it's partly because of your manual setting. You can allocate HD space on your own at any time on the iPod. Point being... let's say you have 1000 songs. You can listen to those 1000 song on the regular iPod setting... but in order to "take them with you to your friend's house" or whatever... you would have to put them on your iPod in it's HD format. In essence... you'd be taking up twice the capacity (1000 songs and then 1000 files).

What's interesting about the Shuffle is that there is actually a new part of iTunes that let's you allocate a specific amount of memory to music and data... much like an external would (with appropriate software).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom