• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Late to the Party: The Wire (spoilers unmarked)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had some question about S2 of The Wire that I asked in the TV shows thread, and since no one seems interested in answering there, I'll repost them here.

Dax01 said:
I'm on season 2 on my Wire rewatch and I'm confused on a couple of points:
When and how did the detail get a clone of the dockers' computer?
How did Kima know who Proposition Joe was?
Why don't they need to witness the dude's cellphone the detail tapped to listen to a call? Back in season one, they had to have a witness to see the call being made before the detail could listen. Why is it different for a cellphone?

Just kind of lost on a few details.

Blader

Dax01 said:
I had some question about S2 of The Wire that I asked in the TV shows thread, and since no one seems interested in answering there, I'll repost them here.

Not 100% sure about this, especially since it has been a while since I saw The Wire, but:

In season 1, didn't D'Angelo and the others in the projects all making calls from a payphone? If you have multiple people making calls from one number, you need to have someone ID which person is making which call and when. Whereas if they're using cells, you can just match up one number to one person, no need to constantly ID them.

Blader5489 said:
Not 100% sure about this, especially since it has been a while since I saw The Wire, but:

In season 1, didn't D'Angelo and the others in the projects all making calls from a payphone? If you have multiple people making calls from one number, you need to have someone ID which person is making which call and when. Whereas if they're using cells, you can just match up one number to one person, no need to constantly ID them.
Yeah they were using payphones in season one and it was important to ID who was who (though over time it would've been pointless, Lester and Prez would recognize who's voice was who's). But I specifically remember instances in S1 that I thought they made pretty clear that to listen in on a conversation, they had to see one of their targets were placing the call. Wait. Actually, that's probably it right there. They can't listen to any person's phone conversation, so they had to make sure it was one of their targets placing the call.

MMaRsu

Banned
Dax01 said:
Yeah they were using payphones in season one and it was important to ID who was who (though over time it would've been pointless, Lester and Prez would recognize who's voice was who's). But I specifically remember instances in S1 that I thought they made pretty clear that to listen in on a conversation, they had to see one of their targets were placing the call. Wait. Actually, that's probably it right there. They can't listen to any person's phone conversation, so they had to make sure it was one of their targets placing the call.

Correct, they could listen in for 30 seconds to say if it was pertinent or not, if it wasn't they had to abandon listening to the call.

The other questions I can't help you with, been over a year since I saw S2.

Blackhead

Redarse
Dax01 said:

i don't quite recall exactly how it went down ( i think the actual setup happened off camera) but Beadie talked to Maui who tipped her off on the system and the detectives went to ask one of the workers about the computer before Sobotka took over and 'explained' how it worked, then Pres hit upon the idea of tapping and making a clone of the system.

Hmmm... I'll have to watch season 2 again :)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I just finished watching this today. I'm treading old ground I'm sure, but man, humanity is beautiful.

Just out-fucking-standing.

Drewsky

Rez said:
I just finished watching this today. I'm treading old ground I'm sure, but man, humanity is beautiful.

Just out-fucking-standing.
I didn't get "humanity is beautiful" out of watching The Wire. Other than that I agree with you.

Its rare for a work of fiction to have so much truth and honesty. The Wire is in a category of its own for the truth it reveals. A work of fiction understands the problems and dynamic of crime,poverty and power more so than most official authorities whose job it is to address them.

Its both sad and amazing.

zero_suit

Drewsky said:
I didn't get "humanity is beautiful" out of watching The Wire. Other than that I agree with you.

I think he meant humanity is beautiful for being able to create such an outstanding show.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not sure it was the intent. I don't even know if I can describe it, but there was something about the way the story was told, the fact that it was able to be told and the way I was able to understand it that had a net result of "everything is fucked up, broken and fuuuuucking beautiful".

It's one of those things that I finish watching and walk away from just being happy to have experienced.

Drewsky

Rez said:
I'm not sure it was the intent. I don't even know if I can describe it, but there was something about the way the story was told, the fact that it was able to be told and the way I was able to understand it that had a net result of "everything is fucked up, broken and fuuuuucking beautiful".

It's one of those things that I finish watching and walk away from just being happy to have experienced.
I can feel ya.

FStop7

Banned
So I had an overnight flight from LA to Atlanta for a tech conference. When we landed and everyone got up to get their bags, I couldn't believe what I saw - Sonja Sohn, aka Kima Greggs, was sitting across from me the entire time. She was really nice, especially considering she looked pretty tired.

Meier

Got this poster over the weekend.. creator (if you will) said he had a version with the cops too and was working on one for Marlo's crew. Gotta get these bad boys framed.

249393_10100765718815203_5205301_69143207_1995392_n.jpg

Jarmel

Banned
Drewsky said:
I liked Carcetti in S3.

Actually I liked Carcetti for most of S4. He's a perfect example of how small compromises turn into big ones. It's quite beautiful how well done his arc was.

I really need to do a re-watch here soon. Maybe this summer. Just watching some of the clips in this thread again is giving me chills.

Zep

Banned
I used to go around parading the idea of a Herc & Carver show. Nobody seemed to understand where I was coming from.

Meier

MMaRsu said:
Fuck 20 bucks, all of a sudden its up to 60.
The artist has one with the cops in blue which I am picking up after work. It's apparently $30 so he must have had a discount at the Craft Fair. $50 for the two is a bargain though -- deffo going to get them framed ASAP.

I never thought about this, but I have to wonder if some of the names in The Wire were inspired by those jazz musicians. Mainly, these 3 names are unusual:

Lester Young (whose nickname is "Prez")
Bird, Charlie Parker's nickname

I can't find other examples, though, so it's probably me searching, considering we know Simon is a jazz fan. But, hey, maybe during writing someone said "we need a name for this guy," and someone threw out his favorite musician's name.

Attorney General orders more episodes of the “The Wire”, or a movie

Sometimes government officials draw fire for potentially overstepping their authority — but Attorney General Eric Holder will probably get some praise for ordering the writers of the critically-acclaimed television series HBO “The Wire” to come up with more episodes or a movie.

The gritty fictional series, which ran five seasons on HBO, showed the raw side of Baltimore as it endured hundreds of murders annually and a rampant drug scene. The show focused on the cash-strapped city police trying to root out crime as well as the drug dealers fighting for turf, using children to run their corners and the related effects on the city.

On Tuesday three of the actors, Wendell Pierce (“Bunk”), Sonja Sohn (“Kima”) and Jim True-Frost (“Prez”), dropped by the Justice Department to join Holder in trying to draw attention to the issue of protecting children from drug abuse and exploitation.

But Holder could not resist a plea — well really an order — to the writers David Simon and Ed Burns for more.

“I want to speak directly to Mr. Burns and Mr. Simon: Do another season of ‘The Wire’,” Holder said, drawing laughter and applause from the audience. “That’s actually at a minimum. … If you don’t do a season, do a movie. We’ve done HBO movies, this is a series that deserves a movie. I want another season or I want a movie. I have a lot of power Mr. Burns and Mr. Simon.”

Wendell “Bunk” Pierce, who is now on the latest HBO hit “Treme”, chimed in with a “hear hear.”

People who want more wire seasons are crazy, the show ended perfectly, anything more would just be tarnishing it's brilliance. If anything more shows need to end after 5 seasons.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Charred Greyface said:
I don't see how a movie of The Wire would work at all.
Ending was perfect so it can't be something that's a sequel from there on. A new season or movie has to take place somewhere before that

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
The Big Rig said:
Just have an 8 minute scene of Marlo being killed and I'll be happy. It really bothered me that he got away.
The fact that he did get away attributes to the realism. 'cause guess what? A lot of the time the bad guys do in fact win...

zero_suit

Forceatowulf said:
The fact that he did get away attributes to the realism. 'cause guess what? A lot of the time the bad guys do in fact win...

Well, he didn't really "win." Remember the scene on the corner? Nobody no longer knew his name, and that's all he really cared about.

Fjordson

Motherfuck me, season 3 is so good. I'm on Episode 11, with the standoff between Brother Mouzone and Omar in the beginning.

"I'd like to ask you something."

"Omar listenin'."

*intro sequence*

Fucking bad ass. Shit is about to go down. This is easily the best of the first three seasons, imo.

Zeliard

The way Marlo's story ended, and his very last scene, were exceptionally perfect. Why would anyone want to mess with that?

Acid08

Banned
Fjordson said:
Motherfuck me, season 3 is so good. I'm on Episode 11, with the standoff between Brother Mouzone and Omar in the beginning.

"Omar listenin'."

*intro sequence*

Fucking bad ass. Shit is about to go down. This is easily the best of the first three seasons, imo.
Avon and Stringer face off was so fucking relentlessly intense.

Fjordson

Acid08 said:
Avon and Stringer face off was so fucking relentlessly intense.
Yeah, you're right. String is always intense. Same with that scene with them two and Brianna. And Prez going out like he did. When McNulty had that badge in his hand it was like "NO WAY!". So much crazy goodness in this season.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Fjordson said:

"Omar listenin'."

*intro sequence*

Man. I think I'm going to rematch the entire series again during the winter break (I guess summer break for you northern hemisphere folk).

Snipes424

Just saw it recently on the ipad with HBOGO and it's was absolutely amazing, one of the best I've ever seen.

It also blew my mind that Domonic West (The guy who played McNulty) is British, such an amazing actor.

I know a lot of the same people are producing & acting in Treme atm, but I can't get into it unfortunately. I appreciate what they are trying to do, but it's just not the show for me.

Zeliard

Snipes424 said:
Just saw it recently on the ipad with HBOGO and it's was absolutely amazing, one of the best I've ever seen.

It also blew my mind that Domonic West (The guy who played McNulty) is British, such an amazing actor.

I know a lot of the same people are producing & acting in Treme atm, but I can't get into it unfortunately. I appreciate what they are trying to do, but it's just not the show for me.

Check out the other HBO stalwarts if you haven't, like Sopranos and Deadwood.

Personally I got the Rome Blu-Rays in recently and am about to start watching that for the first time.

Fjordson

End of episode 11: NOOOO! God damn. I knew it was coming, sort of, but String was one of my favourite characters. Idris Elba is a great actor.

Man, I need to take a break after that before capping off season 3.

Just saw it recently on the ipad with HBOGO
I love HBOGO. Basically what spurred me on to starting watching this. I would have got around to it eventually, but GO is so convenient.

Only problem I have with it is the little pictures they have for each episode in the menus. The picture for episode 12 is McNulty behind Avon, obviously in cuffs. Spoiled that right off the bat since all the episodes in a season are on one screen lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom