• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Late to the Party: The Wire (spoilers unmarked)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mistouze said:
And the fact that Stringer is a secret dracula.
Or that Reginald "Bubbles" Cousins is a spy for the CIA and has been tracking a terrorist cell with the help of Special Agent Terrance "Fitz" Fitzhugh in an episode called "Brother and Fitz: The Untold Stories of Bubbles and the Suit"

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Never watched The Wire. Brother-in-law bought all the seasons so I am going to snag the first season and see how it goes. I haven't read anything in this thread so I'm going in dry!

speedpop said:
Never watched The Wire. Brother-in-law bought all the seasons so I am going to snag the first season and see how it goes. I haven't read anything in this thread so I'm going in dry!
I'm re-watching season one. Enjoying it more than my first time around.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Dax01 said:
I'm re-watching season one. Enjoying it more than my first time around.
That very first scene in the courtroom is way different when you alreay watched the whole show. I was like "yeaaaaaa, look at all those motherfuckers!", The Wire is like Arrested Development in that regard : it only gets better with each viewing as you pick up stuff you might have missed on previous viewings.

Mistouze said:
That very first scene in the courtroom is way different when you alreay watched the whole show. I was like "yeaaaaaa, look at all those motherfuckers!", The Wire is like Arrested Development in that regard : it only gets better with each viewing as you pick up stuff you might have missed on previous viewings.
It's more like, "yeaaaaa look at all those motherfu- is that Chris Partlow?! WTF?!"

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
heliosRAzi said:
It's more like, "yeaaaaa look at all those motherfu- is that Chris Partlow?! WTF?!"
Funny you should mention that. Even though I know the actor is playing a cop in the courtroom, I never actually noticed it while watching that scene.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Only 3 episodes in but things are getting ridiculously tight. Probably a bad time to start it up at 11pm, heading into 2am now and I want to keep watching more. Trying to skim read through a few posts and avoid shit, but I think it would be the safest option to simply avoid the thread as much as possible. Damn wikipedia taunting me too.

speedpop said:
Only 3 episodes in but things are getting ridiculously tight. Probably a bad time to start it up at 11pm, heading into 2am now and I want to keep watching more. Trying to skim read through a few posts and avoid shit, but I think it would be the safest option to simply avoid the thread as much as possible. Damn wikipedia taunting me too.

STAY FAR AWAY, FAR, FAR AWAY. Trust me. I had a few things ruined for me and I completely regrett seeing them.

speedpop said:

Total blackout for maximum enjoyment. You'll appreciate even more every bit of reading you'll do afterwards.

YOU SHOULDN'T BE READING THIS.

Tonight i'll be starting season 3.
Don't know if this can be emphasized enough, but GOD TIER GOD TIER GOD TIER. I'm rewatching it now, and the introduction of a major character/plot line is so goddamn wonderful.

I'm talking bout mah man with the tuna sub Carcetti.

I've been dying to rewatch The Wire and The Shield but I am trying to hold out 'til my girlfriend gets home from school so she can watch for the first time. May have to just watch an episode or two before hand. I think this is the first show I watched where as soon as I was done with the series I've immediately wanted to rewatch.

MMaRsu

Banned
afternoon delight said:
Don't know if this can be emphasized enough, but GOD TIER GOD TIER GOD TIER. I'm rewatching it now, and the introduction of a major character/plot line is so goddamn wonderful.

I'm talking bout mah man with the tuna sub Carcetti.

Carcetti is awesome

I've been dying to rewatch The Wire and The Shield but I am trying to hold out 'til my girlfriend gets home from school so she can watch for the first time. May have to just watch an episode or two before hand. I think this is the first show I watched where as soon as I was done with the series I've immediately wanted to rewatch.
I'm still noticing on this third/fourth run through. Mainly to do with what actors are playing the kids and street extras, because they're pretty much the exact same throughout the years. Missed soooo many connections between 3 and 4 and 5 in regards to non-Barksdale crews.

UrbanRats

slider said:
Not my favourite scenes despite how good they are. But I wanna thank you cos they were enough to make me know I gotto rewatch the whole thing. Absolutely brilliant.
Ofcourse not, that's because the best scene, up until now, is the one with Bunk playing with the ball and hitting Freeman on the head (which does the same thing in return, later).
Cracked me up, but i can't find a video of it. :(

Drewsky

DeuceMojo said:
Sheeeeeeit. Motherfucker ain't got nothing on Clay Davis. And was Carcetti ever supposed to be the least bit likeable? Seemed like the world's biggest asshole.
I liked Carcetti in S3.

DeuceMojo said:
Sheeeeeeit. Motherfucker ain't got nothing on Clay Davis. And was Carcetti ever supposed to be the least bit likeable? Seemed like the world's biggest asshole.
I think he was meant to be likeable before he became mayor. I think the character was made to show how power corrupts or something like that.

Mr. Sam

I think the stark reality of Baltimore corrupted him more than anything - just as it did to arguably every character in the series at one point or another. Though he did, um, "sell out" so to speak to become a Congressman or whatever.

Liquid Helium said:
I think he was meant to be likeable before he became mayor. I think the character was made to show how power corrupts or something like that.

I would agree. That and the fact that once he got into office he realized he couldn't do near as much as he promised.

Mr. Sam

One of the saddest things about the series, for me, was how Daniels finally climbed all the way to the top and then knowingly gave it all away by making a stand and refusing to juke the stats.

Drewsky

Mr. Sam said:
One of the saddest things about the series, for me, was how Daniels finally climbed all the way to the top and then knowingly gave it all away by making a stand and refusing to juke the stats.
That was great. He stuck to what he believed in, he was a better person than pretty much anyone else on the show.

Mr. Sam said:
Yeah, and how Rawls stood bulldog-like, ready to toss under the bus anyone who bucked the status quo.

I was thinking about Hamsterdam the other day and how the cops in Denver created a "look-the-other-way" part of town. They were getting sick of motorcyclists riding their wheelies and having drag races and whatever in the streets between downtown and skid row, so they either proposed or condoned the idea of not patrolling a massive piece of private property (some mostly-vacant industrial park in the middle of town.) On a given night, all the Fast'n'Furious kids would show up there, and be fairly self-policing.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Liquid Helium said:

Probably one of the best illustrations of "the road to hell is paved with good intentions" I've seen on televison.

jergrah

I know some of you hate Twitter --- but #NotAWireQuoteDay is trending and there is some pretty funny shit on there.

Here's a random handful that I quite enjoyed, the Waffles one was posted by Raiin Wilson, Latte one by Seth Meyers

"Soy latte for Omar? Omar? Your soy latte is ready." #NotAWireQuoteDay

"Omar like these whole grain waffles, yo." #NotaWirequoteday

"I wish people didn't spit so much." -Bodie #NotaWirequoteday

"Wow, it's getting late. I should probably go home and get a good night's sleep." -McNulty #NotAWireQuoteDay

"My name isn't my name. It's actually Kevin." -Marlo #notawirequoteday

"LOL! ur so random! gimme those stickers back betch!" -- Bodie #notawirequoteday

"Just playin. Keep your drugs. I was just pointing out the weaknesses in your safehouse surveillance." -Omar #notawirequoteday

wirepage136.jpg

wirepage138.jpg

UrbanRats

Finished the 3rd and started with the 4th.
Stringer .. man.. i thought Avon was the one to go down, i actually thought Stringer would've been on until the end of the Fifth Season.
So far it's been amazing and the 4th will probably be my favorite (still have to finish it, though).
Too bad there's not enough McNulty, but i kinda like his change, he finally seems "in balance".

So season 3 is about to land on my mat some time this morning and I hope to get at least 3 episodes in tonight, but it's been over a year since I watched season 2. Is there any need to do a recap of 1 & 2 to get complete enjoyment out of 3 or will it all come back to me.

From what I remember, season 2 came away from what I had learnt in season 1, almost like a completely separate story.

MarkMclovin said:
So season 3 is about to land on my mat some time this morning and I hope to get at least 3 episodes in tonight, but it's been over a year since I watched season 2. Is there any need to do a recap of 1 & 2 to get complete enjoyment out of 3 or will it all come back to me.

From what I remember, season 2 came away from what I had learnt in season 1, almost like a completely separate story.
Season 3 is very much tied into season 1 and 2. I'd do a rematch personally.

UrbanRats

Finished it!
I'm a bit in shock now, it really is the best TV Shows i've ever seen.

I don't know if the thread still have some juice in it, but some quick thoughts:

Omar's death couldn't have been handled better.
Him screaming, on the empty corner asking for Marlo, was amazing, like the relic of a dying world.

I can't really say which is my favorite season, as i see them just like one big "picture" of the city.
I'm sad that they didn't have the time to explore the Sun paper's characters more, i really liked Alma and Gus.

Wow it's quite a ride.. i'll finally read the topic now, i had a lot of things to say, when the credits rolled on the last episode, but now nothing comes up in my head, funny enough. :p
But i do feel like a friend is gone. :(

UrbanRats said:
But i do feel like a friend is gone. :(

The saddest part of the series. This was the one show that I just hated that it ended. All others I have watched I could accept that it was over, with The Wire I wanted to start watching it again immediately.

Akim

Banned
again, not reading any posts....I'm in the middle of the 2nd season

Ziggy shooting up those people. What the fuck?

UrbanRats

RepairmanJack said:
The saddest part of the series. This was the one show that I just hated that it ended. All others I have watched I could accept that it was over, with The Wire I wanted to start watching it again immediately.
Yeah.
The Wire is more than just entertainment, i think.
Don't wanna overhype it, but it really goes deep.
It's 57 minutes for episode, with no downtime, the script is VERY dense.. it says a lot of stuff and even if you don't realize it at first, at the end it seems like something's changed in you.
I mean, good art does that, so it's not absurd, but it made me think a lot of stuff through, no TV shows ever did that.

It's not just there to entertain, to give you the better twist or the funniest line, it builds something and in the end, when you have all the picture complete, you see things more clearly (not only in the show).

MMaRsu

Banned
UrbanRats said:
Yeah.
The Wire is more than just entertainment, i think.
Don't wanna overhype it, but it really goes deep.
It's 57 minutes for episode, with no downtime, the script is VERY dense.. it says a lot of stuff and even if you don't realize it at first, at the end it seems like something's changed in you.
I mean, good art does that, so it's not absurd, but it made me think a lot of stuff through, no TV shows ever did that.

It's not just there to entertain, to give you the better twist or the funniest line, it builds something and in the end, when you have all the picture complete, you see things more clearly (not only in the show).

Agreed, it really is THAT good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom