• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Latin American Gamers, please gather. Watching the world preorder new shiny box from afar.

Vitter.

Hello guys!
Wanted to share, this story will probably be alien to most in this site, but latin american brothers will chime in that sure have similar situations going.

Context:
¡My country (Argentina) is going into the drain for like decades(now is prolly the worst it has ever been)!
¡Right now 1 dollar is around $150 pesos and rising everyday!
(basic income is $16.875 pesos per month)
The governament has severe controls to even get a few dollars and it even reaches into buying digital stuff now.

Let's talk PREORDERING CONSOLES here:
Yesterday a company that has the license for Sony products (speaking like they were truly Sony) stated that the preorders will happen wich is prolly a first so soon(they gave no dates at the time)!
They confirmed (like they could know, around here we never know and cannot know prices in advance, even a few months will make prices rise like crazy, inflation is at an insane level)
PS5 regular edition at $99.999 pesos and Digital $74.999 pesos for a release in DECEMBER(wich they won't meet and probably won't be able to get the consoles in the country by then).

Today on social media:
I see the complaints online, hope the Xbox is easier to preorder for you up north!

A bit of current gen history:
2013: Bought Ps4 at launch, I happened to be in US that year...

Today: I have a PS4 Pro a Switch and gamepass on pc and my hands full!
it meant so much effort and several issues to just get them and every game.

Buying games means around 7 to 10 thousand pesos and rising(today and adjusting all the time just a few years ago it went around 1500 pesos)!

Usually our reality means getting new tech on sites similar to ebay(Mercado Libre), people travelling or whatever charging so much more plus no warranty, nothing.

Retailers are worse if we talk about pricing and availability, even though gaming got bigger last decade, still nothing compared with Europe or US/Can.

Please share your stories and sorry if there are spelling errors!

Last edited:
I'm going PC but I feel for those who are trying to get a new console, especially in unfavored territories. I don't know if this will help anyone, but I just looked it up for you guys and it looks like Xbox All Access might be coming to Brazil as well. It's unconfirmed but heavily rumored apparently. I don't know what Brazilian sources to follow for gaming news so this was the best I could do.

Rudius

In Brazil it is expensive, as always, but what irritates me the most is the 10% price difference between PS5 models, when everywhere else it is a 20% diferrence. They take every possible opportunity to fuck us.

Fbh

dNIQgdg.jpg

Probably going to be expensive as hell. I'll pass for now, still not sure I want one anyway.

Matsuchezz

I live in Mexico and I was able to secure a preorder from Walmart, It cost me around US$700 PE, DE is around US$600, games have never been cheap down here, but Nintendo games and consoles have been way more expensive than any Sony or MS game or console for ages. VG are an expensive hobby everywhere in the world, I guess the US and other territories get the MSRP, but where this does not apply, importers charge whatever comes from their balls, and importing taxes screw everyone.

DiegoAndrad

I'm going PC but I feel for those who are trying to get a new console, especially in unfavored territories. I don't know if this will help anyone, but I just looked it up for you guys and it looks like Xbox All Access might be coming to Brazil as well. It's unconfirmed but heavily rumored apparently. I don't know what Brazilian sources to follow for gaming news so this was the best I could do.

In Brazil, almost every store does financing like this on Credit Card (usually for 12 months), so I don't think it's really necessary.

In Brazil, almost every store does financing like this on Credit Card (usually for 12 months), so I don't think it's really necessary.
Right, but this plan also includes gamepass ultimate. Which I figured would be a big help since the consoles are already so expensive there. You'd instantly have access to a pretty big library of games.

Vitter.

No, wait, 3600 dollars for the diskless and 4800 for the disk version? Wow!
more like 500us dollars for the 400 but, to access 500 us dollars it means at least 5 basic incomes(monthly) here now hahaha(plus it will be 1000us dollars in reality)

Last edited:
Top Bottom