• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lawrence of Arabia - is it one of the top 10 films of all-time?

For me personally, it goes down as #1. The performances, the scope of the story, dialogue, the soundtrack, the direction, and stunning photography -- it all comes together seamlessly and is one of the (first) true brilliant cinematic experiences I've ever had. What do you think? Is it in your top 10? Top 5? Let's discuss.

tumblr_mi7ehmLGAl1qg4blro1_500.gif

Ra\/en

I watched it several years ago for the first time, and I can say that it certainly deserves to be mentioned amongst the best. Particularly for the cinematography.

Also, Peter o'toole put together a very intriguing performance.

I love how this film begins. Not only with him dying, but with such an avoidable, unheroic death will no fanfare or build-up.

It sets the film up perfectly. A man with skills, yes, but at the end of the day, he's just a guy with a motorcycle and a giant ego.

*puts on snobby hat*

Well, if you want to say 10 UK movies, sure. But, expand that out to be English speaking and certainly international/foreign films? Then, nah.

*takes off snobby hat*

It's a great movie, and I'm happy to have seen a good 70mm print at the AFI years ago. O'Toole is great, and it's fun learning about his behind the scenes training, like his time as a mime, translating into his performance. Shame he had to go up against Greggory Peck in a perfect role. People speak of the great editing cut of blowing out the match, and for good reason. It's wonderfully patient and sprawling and you just don't see many big blockbuster movies like it anymore...

*puts on snobby hat again*

because comic book movies have currently ruined big blockbuster films.

*takes off snobby hat again*

*puts on snobby hat one last time*

I also wish people talked about and discussed Bridge on the River Kwai and Brief Encounters more. Doctor Zhivago is a bit of a mess at times, though.

*throws hat in trash*

Ottaro

I will always cherish having seen one the screenings of the remaster they did not too long ago.

Seeing it on a big screen is magical.

*puts on snobby hat*

Well, if you want to say 10 UK movies, sure. But, expand that out to be English speaking and certainly international/foreign films? Then, nah.

*takes off snobby hat*

It's a great movie, and I'm happy to have seen a good 70mm print at the AFI years ago. O'Toole is great, and it's fun learning about his behind the scenes training, like his time as a mime, translating into his performance. Shame he had to go up against Greggory Peck in a perfect role. People speak of the great editing cut of blowing out the match, and for good reason. It's wonderfully patient and sprawling and you just don't see many big blockbuster movies like it anymore...

*puts on snobby hat again*

because comic book movies have currently ruined big blockbuster films.

*takes off snobby hat again*

I like you. Wear the snobby hat more often and recommend me some great films if you get the chance.

It wouldn't be on my top 10, but definitely would be in my top 20s.

I would love to see this in a 70mm screen someday. The cinematography takes my breath every time, along with the music and the performances.

As many movies I've seen I always avoided this one because of the length. I'm going to seriously put time aside and get to it

You are going to feel its length at times (deliberately). There's a minute long shot of just a sunrise and another of two people emerging from the far off horizon in an oasis. The movie quite literally uses its entire giant canvas to show the expansive and oppressive desert, and it is one of the reasons why it is so good to see on a big screen. I also know a lot of people who just don't like the second half because it gets slow, a bit introspective, with Lawrence acting on his own, and the aftermath of the successful "revolution".

I like you. Wear the snobby hat more often and recommend me some great films if you get the chance.

*puts on hat*

Logan's ending shot is one of the most provocative and blasphemous things in all comic book movies, it's also the first big budget Hollywood film to deal with the 2016 U.S. presidential election, and all the Shane references are there to bait critics (thank you Film Comment podcast for backing me up on this a few weeks later!).

*takes off hat again*

:p

zeemumu

It's in someone's top 10 and is considered to be a great film, but the library of film is so broad that there's no definite answer to your question.

Easily top 10 (other opinions are wrong). Should be in most people's top 5. Some top 3.
Statement verified as truth. I just rewatched it last weekend actually, and I think it's remarkably better every time you see it depending on what part of your life you may be at.

As a film person, it makes me remember why I love film as a medium. Up there with the very best. I love how very complex and sublimely cheeky every character is.

The first half, yes.

I rewatch it a few times every year but the second half is a slog, sometimes I skip it entirely or do something else while it plays in the background.

Aters

I don't think I've seen enough films to make such a judgement, and I doubt most posters in this thread do. It's definitely a timeless classic though.

I think it's a great film and I would recommend people watch it, but it wouldn't crack anywhere close to my hypothetical top 50. LoA would be in several top tens within certain categories, but the story doesn't do much for me. There's a false depth to it. I dislike saying it, but it has kind of a Oscar bait quality. I think the director aimed too high and failed to hit his mark.

It's a great movie, but it doesn't stack up against a lot of the stuff that came out of Europe and Japan in the 10 or so years preceding it, and the 15-20 succeeding it (add America to that list in the late 60s/70s). I might even make a case that it's the weakest of the "big 3" David Lean epics, tbh.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Absolutely incredible in every way that counts. Masterful performances, cinematography, scope and scale.

It's at least Top 10.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
My personal top 5 (order changes)
- Alien
- M
- Stop Making Sense
- Hard to Be A God (Watching this is basically visiting hell for me)
- Children of Men

If that is wrong I don't wanna be right. At the end of the day consensus is for geeks and people with no taste.

Yeah. It's gorgeous to look at and I do like the performances. I unfortunately tried to watch it twice and both times was very tired (I used to work nights) and never really fully invested in it. Need to go back.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I think getting millenials to sit through a 3 hour epic is damn near impossible, much less 4. They would have internet withdrawals unless they checked their phone 40 times during the runtime.

The Siege of Aqaba still astounds me to this day.

Today's filmmakers would use 100% CGI for that scene and all the life would be drained out of it. It is why any army shot in LotR, Pirates of the Caribbean 5, etc suck,because the extras have no weight or independence to them.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I need to see it again. Last time was maybe ~2001 when this DVD came out??

51P24W0KFHL._SY445_.jpg

You are missing a substantial part of the film. Seriously, the 8k remaster, shown in 4K a few years back was a total restoration of scenes, runtime, and frames. Totally spotless and amazing. I have an old DVD too, and there os no comparison. Do yourself a favor and grab the Blu-Ray ASAP.

Strax

Nah.
It's really good but overrated at the same time. You could cut 30 mins from it without losing anything that matters.

The thing with the runtime of this movie is, you're supposed to feel its length AT TIMES. It uses time purposefully. Also, it tells a hell of a lot of story in its runtime.

Contrast with Captain America: Civil War with a runtime of 2 and a half hours that goes on forever on the tarmac. Or Batman V Superman, bloated mess that it is. Or that fucking Transformer movie that was three hours long or something.

Film needs more women

Watchya talkin' about? Remember that memorable scene with them in burqas shouting as the men rode into the desert?! (I think I read somewhere once that this is the only major motion picture of a certain cast size with no female characters. Don't know how true that is).

Certainly it's in top 50 greatest films. It's amazing epic with terrific production values and acting. Long yes, but it's a film that deserves it.

Top Bottom