• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lawsuit: Officer handcuffed mentally disabled kids as punishment

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/kentuck...lly-disabled-kids-as-punishment-lawsuit-says/

video at link

FRANKFORT, Ky. -- Two northern Kentucky women have sued a county sheriff and one of his school resource officers for placing their two disabled elementary school children in handcuffs.

The handcuffs were too large to fit around the wrists of the 8-year-old boy and the 9-year-old girl, both of whom have been diagnosed with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and are identified in court documents only by their initials. The boy also has a history of trauma, CBS affiliate WKYT reports.

School Resource Officer Kevin Sumner put the handcuffs around the children's biceps, locking their arms behind them. A video of one of the incidents shows the 8-year-old boy struggling and crying while sitting in a chair.

"You don't get to swing at me like that," Sumner told the boy, according to a video that was captured by a school administrator and uploaded to YouTube by the American Civil Liberties Union, which is representing the women and their children. "You can do what we've asked you to, or you can suffer the consequences."

Siegcram

cartman_respect_my_authoritah.jpg

ADHD isn't a mental disability. It is a learning disability. Big difference.

But yeah cop should know how to handle hyper children.

Grakl

The lawsuit says officials at both schools were aware of the students disabilities, which including "impulsivity, and difficulty paying attention, complying with directives, controlling emotions and remaining seated."

Huh, weird -- since when have people considered ADHD a disability?

Looks like it can be considered a disability if it's debilitating enough, but I haven't heard of that before.

bigkrev

So, what is a "School Resource Officer"? Are they actually a cop? Because if they are, this totally seems like a valid method of restraining someone who is lashing out. If it is just a school official, then I am really curious as to why they had handcuffs on them.

And yeah, as someone with ADHD, it's not a mental disability.

Never heard of ADHD being qualified as a disability. A learning disorder, sure.

Still, I don't think handcuffing kids is a good way to go about things.

Huh, weird -- since when have people considered ADHD a disability?

Looks like it can be considered a disability if it's debilitating enough, but I haven't heard of that before.

Yeah, reading Wikipedia is interesting.
I always associated disability with something that cannot be controlled, like Tourette's. You can control ADHD with medication and such.

Edit: Psh, the video was tame. The only thing I really saw wrong was he put the cuffs too high hince it being tight on the child.

Sanjuro

I don't find it "really disturbing" to watch the video. I see the intent, just don't see how doing it to a child in school nowadays seems like a good move in the first place.

I'm also not sure how things progressed in the diagnosis stages, but pretty much everyone had ADHD for a period of time when I was going through school.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
It's a disorder. It can definitely impair your ability in school and life, but generally mentally disabled is used for person's with very low IQ's. Do autism support advocates even want that term used for those with autism?

You can have a high IQ and have ADHD.

You can have autism and have a high IQ.

It's a disorder. It can definitely impair your ability in school and life, but generally mentally disabled is used for person's with very low IQ's. Do autism support advocates even want that term used for those with autism?
Disorder or Handicap works because while it is harder to learn, you can still achieve it. Here is what I found defines "disability"
According to the fifth edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-IV), three criteria must be met for a diagnosis of intellectual disability: deficits in general mental abilities, significant limitations in one or more areas of adaptive behavior across multiple environments (as measured by an adaptive behavior rating scale, i.e. communication, self-help skills, interpersonal skills, and more), and evidence that the limitations became apparent in childhood or adolescence. In general, people with intellectual disability have an IQ below 70, but clinical discretion may be necessary for individuals who have a somewhat higher IQ but severe impairment in adaptive functioning.[8]
ADHD and Autism generally does not cause deficiency in general mental abilities.
As such IQ has nothing to do with it because dementia and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom