• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT13| Diamond is Unreachable

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
idk why his e was considered a cool spell, you barely got any time to react to it and it's impossible to ward against and super safe on zac's side

i hate that shit
I mean...there is definitely space in the game for a long range initiation that needs to be charged. People just need a better chance to react once he is in I think.

zkylon

zkylewd
Uh I like how one of them requires a certain ward skin, and then its actually about killing and assists?

So are they repeatable? Do you get a new one every day? They should make it like HotS and simply have a limit of 3 quests, and you dont get any after you reach the limit.
these are placeholder missions, just to test the system

missions are apparently gonna be handed out weekly and will be replaced by new ones next week. it's gonna be two sets of 3 escalating missions (as in, u have to beat mission 1 to get mission 2) and missions will sometimes have requirements (such as owning that ward skin or owning leona). also some missions are mutually exclusive (like you can only get one icon, so you have to choose between getting ekko's or leona's)

it's so fucking bad, thank you rito for adding more compulsive elements to the game

ughhh

I mean...there is definitely space in the game for a long range initiation that needs to be charged. People just need a better chance to react once he is in I think.
yeah a change i would've liked to be done is have the landing indicator show up much earlier so you have time to react to it

but either way, i don't think e is a cool spell, it rewards finding hidden spots to jump from but there's barely any counterplay to that since the time to flash out of it is really small and even then you just traded flash for a spell that you didn't even have a way to ward against

initiation is something you should earn, by maneuvering around enemy kiting or flanking or whatever, not just from being able to land an insanely long distance

it might not be the worst spell in the game but it's certainly not a specially original one

these are placeholder missions, just to test the system

missions are apparently gonna be handed out weekly and will be replaced by new ones next week. it's gonna be two sets of 3 escalating missions (as in, u have to beat mission 1 to get mission 2) and missions will sometimes have requirements (such as owning that ward skin or owning leona)

it's so fucking bad

...sounds...complicated for something that can be simple?

Like..requiring rp wards or specific champs is bad. Imo it should be condensed to "play x games as adc/ap/support/etc." to allow people to not be forced to play a character they might not want to play. They can even do "play as a noxian/valoran/demacian" since thatll be more fun than "play as leona".

In the pic you posted it also shows "completing this mission will lock out that mission" and Im thinking...rito you didnt have to do that?

Edit: says "disables thief of timr" so I presume an Ekko mission?

As for requiring rp items...i dunno what their goal is there.

zkylon

zkylewd
...sounds...complicated for something that can be simple?

Like..requiring rp wards or specific champs is bad. Imo it should be condensed to "play x games as adc/ap/support/etc." to allow people to not be forced to play a character they might not want to play. They can even do "play as a noxian/valoran/demacian" since thatll be more fun than "play as leona".

In the pic you posted it also shows "completing this mission will lock out that mission" and Im thinking...rito you didnt have to do that?

As for requiring rp items...i dunno what their goal is there.
i added a bit of context about the "completing this mission locks out another"

but yeah, "complicated for something that can be simple" is riot's motto for all outside-of-match experiences, sadly

it's crazy to think that league, the biggest game in the world, a game that makes billions every year and is played by more people than any other game, a game that's fantastic on its own gameplay and is already rewarding and deep and has motivations all over and has done perfectly fine without any of these predatory elements for years needs to keep getting poisoned with this bullshit

blegh

drawkcaB

Not really feeling the Rek'Sai changes after trying it out some more. I don't think the kit works, it's much more coherent on paper than it actually is in practice. With the exception of tremor sense, there's a champion(s) that can do anything that Rek'Sai wants to do way more effectively.

lux video is up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvflWd9t95I

i don't like it, i think the music choice is bad again and riot keeps shoehorning lux into this victimized character that's boring and lame af, but in this video in particular it does so without giving her character or a cool scene or nothing, she's just like lying there all sad faced and then walks a bit and rides a horse, which again i'm really confused why it's so important on her story

the only video out of this series i've liked is darius'

How ... is she "victimized"?

What I see is an interesting study in what Lux goes through day to day from what lil I know of her lore. She has these amazing magical powers but her kingdom fucking hates magic (even her own brother hates magic and probly makes mental blocks to look past anything magical he may have seen her do I'd guess).
It's a part of her and even though she may love and nourish it she must hide it and may very well be ashamed of it (cause up bringing and environment I'd assume. I recently heard a co-worker express how she "loves women but also loves god" and how this is something she has to deal with. Would imagine it's hard to hold a part of yourself you love in one hand and your love for a belief system you believe directly conflicts with it in the other hand).

In a few ways it's the counterpart to the Darius study that I had hoped it would be. As in, it's ultimately about bravery. Being brave isn't being fearless or having no fear. Being brave is acknowledging that you're afraid, but not letting it stop you from doing what you have to/ doing what's right. She's afraid that her secret will get out but she doesn't let it stop her from doing what she needs to do for her people.

That being said I read very lil lore. Until Galio's lore I would have assumed everyone knew about Lux's magic given she fires beams of light across the map.

Also doesn't hurt that it was made by mother fucking Glen Keane after they invited him to do something for this "work shop" and he read through some LoL lore.

zkylon

zkylewd
How ... is she "victimized"?

What I see is an interesting study in what Lux goes through day to day from what lil I know of her lore. She has these amazing magical powers but her kingdom fucking hates magic (even her own brother hates magic and probly makes mental blocks to look past anything magical he may have seen her do I'd guess).
It's a part of her and even though she may love and nourish it she must hide it and may very well be ashamed of it (cause up bringing and environment I'd assume. I recently heard a co-worker express how she "loves women but also loves god" and how this is something she has to deal with. Would imagine it's hard to hold a part of yourself you love in one hand and your love for a belief system you believe directly conflicts with it in the other hand).

In a few ways it's the counterpart to the Darius study that I had hoped it would be. As in, it's ultimately about bravery. Being brave isn't being fearless or having no fear. Being brave is acknowledging that you're afraid, but not letting it stop you from doing what you have to/ doing what's right. She's afraid that her secret will get out but she doesn't let it stop her from doing what she needs to do for her people.

That being said I read very lil lore. Until Galio's lore I would have assumed everyone knew about Lux's magic given she fires beams of light across the map.

Also doesn't hurt that it was made by mother fucking Glen Keane after they invited him to do something for this "work shop" and he read through some LoL lore.

to me it's victimizing cos it spends most of the time on her being vulnerable and disempowered (being literally naked and on the verge of tears). she then gets to proudly walk and ride a horse but not after it's been made clear she's actually really fragile and sad

which is kinda lame cos the idea in her old lore is that all that shit was behind her, and while that made for a more "flat" character, the new lore seems to be only exploring that side which is most definitely not the side of lux that anyone that likes the character cares about. her hiding the emotional baggage of being feared and mistrusted by the country you sworn to protect while putting on a cheerful and positive facade is interesting, but only if you get to see the side she's showing to people, but the new lore (including this video) never cares about that and just puts lux in situation after situation in which she's struggling or sad or weak (even if in the end she still manages to be really powerful)

much like the ahri lore, i feel like they're characters that riot is for some reason not allowing to just be powerful without paying some sort of emotional toll, which is boring when they're choking out the part of the character people actually like

lux is the character in the lux mix, not the character in some old lore entry where it said she had trouble controlling her magic (same lore that said she was a weirdo magic spy that liked to do magic tricks lol), and riot shoehorning her into that just cos it fits their new demacia is a disservice to the lux that's already exists

and in the end this video didn't say anything new about lux, this side of lux has been explored to death in the new lore and is not original or interesting as a fan of the character i've played for years. i don't care about these newfound internal struggles or her stupid horse, i just want the lux in the lore to match the lux in the game.

also no idea who this person is, but i don't particularly care about the animation or art. not saying it's bad or anything but it's not something that i found impressing?

edit: also the song choice was bad. i don't like real world songs in these videos, it just pulls me out of the fantasy of the league universe

edit2: videos in my opinion darius > zed >>> lux > mf

edit3: kind of ironic i wrote this considering my avatar lol

i added a bit of context about the "completing this mission locks out another"

but yeah, "complicated for something that can be simple" is riot's motto for all outside-of-match experiences, sadly

it's crazy to think that league, the biggest game in the world, a game that makes billions every year and is played by more people than any other game, a game that's fantastic on its own gameplay and is already rewarding and deep and has motivations all over and has done perfectly fine without any of these predatory elements for years needs to keep getting poisoned with this bullshit

blegh
I dunno, I feel like you're making this more complicated than it actually is? You get a set of missions per week, beat those and they unlock another set, if you have a ward skin - this sucks dick btw - you get an extra mission, that's really all to it.

All they need to do is get rid of this "own this RP only thing" bullshit and we gucci.

faridmon

Goddamn it, I just escape Bronze III. For every two games I have, there is 3 followed which I either play against better players, play with trollers, afk, or simply I have bad games.

zkylon

zkylewd
Time to find a new main waifu. Lux's always been trash.
it's not a waifu thing, i just dislike them not being true to the characters we know and love

i remember people feeling the same when they took away nasus' scholarly traits too

I dunno, I feel like you're making this more complicated than it actually is? You get a set of missions per week, beat those and they unlock another set, if you have a ward skin - this sucks dick btw - you get an extra mission, that's really all to it.

All they need to do is get rid of this "own this RP only thing" bullshit and we gucci.
i don't want to like get a mission to play ziggs and have to play ziggs to unlock it

yeah ofc i don't have to play it, but like all skinner box shit, when you give people a reward they're gonna want to do it, and when you make that shit timed then that's just compulsion driven to max levels

this was not how I expected to spend my Saturday afternoon

I wanted to go back and play FFX-2 again :(
i don't know what would've been worse lol

Final Fantasy X-2 is an abomination. It should not be associated with the greatness that's FFX.

i don't know what would've been worse lol

tumblr_n8tg3xgNfE1rtbkkjo1_r2_500.gif

dimb

X-2 is a good game with one of the best RPG combat systems of all time.

Also I bought the Project Ekko skin. I am not very good with Ekko but he's fun and the abilities seem like they read better on the Project skin, so hopefully it'll help me out. First time the Your Store for me has been really good.

Talents

Banned
X-2 is a good game with one of the best RPG combat systems of all time.

Also I bought the Project Ekko skin. I am not very good with Ekko but he's fun and the abilities seem like they read better on the Project skin, so hopefully it'll help me out. First time the Your Store for me has been really good.

Good combat doesn't make up for every single other thing about the game being bad.

dimb

Good combat doesn't make up for every single other thing about the game being bad.
I like lots of other things about the game. The music is incredible. The concept of returning to this changed world is really cool. The characters are enjoyable. I understand why some people would not like it but most of what I come to RPGs for is the combat/visuals/music and I think X-2 gets all of that stuff right.

Leezard

I really wanted to like X-2 more than I did but it was so bothersome if you actually wanted to do some completionist stuff and get proper endings.

Combat was cool though.

X-2 is a good game hampered by people being super hung up on the dramatic shift of tone compared to X.

If it weren't for the fact that it's a sequel to X it would probably be considered one of the best PS2 RPGs.

My only beef is how tediousit is to get the best ending in X-2. It's so much more bothersome than trying to 100% Persona on first run (which I discourage anyway).

Otherwise, I dig the game completely. Love it on Vita. X is still my favorite though.

Dobkeratops

OT Hard Carry
Despite some odd/bizarre/questionable design choices X-2 is fantastic. If nothing else, the combat is good enough to carry the whole game. Both X and X-2 had the best implementations of the ATB and it's a disgrace neither approach was ever reused.

I'd still place X over it because it has a bigger emotional impact (and playable summons!) but I do intend to pick up the X-2 remaster when I get a backlog break and have a blast.

zkylon

zkylewd
yeah maybe my thing is that i didn't like ff10 at all so more of these characters was not something i was looking forward to

Top Bottom