• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends World Championship 2016 |SEP 29-OCT 29|

Ashhong

Pretty salty at the swag given away for Worlds. A lanyard was probably the highlight of it. How hard is it to give a simple skin away? It's virtually free on their part. Season 3 Worlds saw free figures, poros, skins and more. Come on Riot.

Pretty salty at the swag given away for Worlds. A lanyard was probably the highlight of it. How hard is it to give a simple skin away? It's virtually free on their part. Season 3 Worlds saw free figures, poros, skins and more. Come on Riot.

They didn't give even the Riot skin ward. (?)

That's weird, maybe time issues? Like how they couldn't do the closing ceremony they had planned because of the games taking too long.

Nekofrog

Banned
I think you forgot about Olaf, he's viable in any meaning of the word. The only notable ghost instead of flash users are Hecarim, Olaf and Nasus. Unless I also forget someone. Hecarim is viable every now and then.

Bad jax players take flash, good ones take ghost

I have a friend who got a poro during Semis from a Rioter who was tossing them into the crowd. It was one of the tiny foam ones, though.

Why is this bad.

Why is a bundle with no gambling stuff bad. It's literally just a bundle, the exact thing they do now, just with a Worlds theme.

Sometimes I think you just hate things that are new. Does change scare you?

I think Zky is one of those people who doesn't want Riot to ape the DOTA team, in any way shape or form. I'm a bit hesitant about the Compendium thing for this reason, but I'm also sick of people going "DOTA ESPORTS IS 1000% BETTER THAN LEAGUE'S"

That's weird, maybe time issues? Like how they couldn't do the closing ceremony they had planned because of the games taking too long.

We got a "collector's cup" with a lanyard (shitty compared to the LCS one I got in July), thundersticks (same as LCS), a wristband (same as LCS), and some people got Riot Point cards (some people got cards that you had to scratch off and some of those said "sorry! try again next time!" lmao).

There really wasn't any swag to be had. But they had the venue set up ages before the games so not sure what was up there.

The pyrotechnics and lighting during the games were ace, but yeah we didn't get out until like 10:30 PM our time.

No one really wanted to stay after that and I found it hilarious because all of my friends were telling me it was gonna be a 3-0 and after the second Baron pitfight in game three I kept cheering "GAME FIVE BOYS"

I have a friend who got a poro during Semis from a Rioter who was tossing them into the crowd. It was one of the tiny foam ones, though.

I think Zky is one of those people who doesn't want Riot to ape the DOTA team, in any way shape or form. I'm a bit hesitant about the Compendium thing for this reason, but I'm also sick of people going "DOTA ESPORTS IS 1000% BETTER THAN LEAGUE'S"

The Poros were at the July LCS event too. They had little foam cannons too halfway through the set.

As someone who plays Dota mostly, I dislike them never coming to the west coast for some reason. I go to LCS events because it's an hour or two drive and I can hang out with friends.

Really I feel both are on par with each other in terms of event presentation, except League is more season based like traditional sports whereas Dota is more like a festival / gauntlet setting with week long brackets every quarter or so. I think people are more expecting Riot to put Valve money into tournaments but TBH I'm getting sick of Valve fucking people over with the compendium lottery system for item sets. Like I can spend $15 on Riot skins and get what I want, or I can spend $15 on compendium item chests and get nothing I want because the good sets are rare drops.

Like I said, I don't play League that much and I would gladly go again. I may start learning it more just to have more common ground with a wider group of friends.

Quonny

I didn't even get a lanyard. Riot kinda bungled the night I was at Chicago. Doors opened late, merch line had four people manning it instead of five, and they took all the swag away when the matches started.

I thought I could get a lanyard on the way out, but nope. It was all taken down.

Newt

Dignitas is gonna win worlds 2017.

Especially with a quality coach like Saintvicious. Honestly, Kkoma should just retire. Can't keep up with someone like that.

zkylon

zkylewd
CLG not going to IEM, say goodbye to half the roster.
wasn't c9 going to go to iem?

Why is this bad.

Why is a bundle with no gambling stuff bad. It's literally just a bundle, the exact thing they do now, just with a Worlds theme.

Sometimes I think you just hate things that are new. Does change scare you?
honestly i should've gone a bit more in-depth with my response to say that i mostly mind the exclusive stuff, as well as the leveling stuff. i'm against exclusive virtual goods because it's fake and manipulative (which is why i'm 100% for getting rid of limited skins), and i'm against leveling stuff cos that's just there to benefit a 1% that either has too much money than brains or is about to make big mistakes in their life

obviously a bundle of stuff u can get in other ways is fine

linky: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBtXyv0Q1Eg&list=PLhyKYa0YJ_5BF-cMaj6gIe-7uD5rZG9ur&index=5

nothing to do with copying doto, i've said many things i'd like league to steal from doto like the party system, sandbox mode, pings being voiced by champions and more detailed champion models. can't think many more cos i didn't play doto

i just really dislike doto's business model and specially the compendium cos it's scummy and predatory in a way i don't want to see in league. i don't want gambling in league, i don't want endless leveling up so ppl with compulsive tendencies can't help themselves, i don't want exclusive virtual goods for no other reason than to exploit people (and this is very different from something like halloween skins or even championship skins that are at least themed and come back every year and shit, and of course, reward-based exclusive like gold skins and medieval twitch and shit, those are ok too), etc.

that's not to say league doesn't have any of these issues, cos they do, but games shouldn't prey on people that don't know better, and the less of that there is in league the better

Quonny

honestly i should've gone a bit more in-depth with my response to say that i mostly mind the exclusive stuff, as well as the leveling stuff. i'm against exclusive virtual goods because it's fake and manipulative (which is why i'm 100% for getting rid of limited skins), and i'm against leveling stuff cos that's just there to benefit a 1% that either has too much money than brains or is about to make big mistakes in their life

obviously a bundle of stuff u can get in other ways is fine

While I agree that in a perfect world everything would be available all the time, we have to choose what to be for and what to be against.

Blind boxes are complete horseshit and the second Riot added exclusive skins to the chest system was the second I turned on it. Limited, though? You know what you're getting and you know how much you have to pay to get it. And we're not talking about hundreds of dollareuroanimebux. The most you can realistically spend during any event is, what, $50? 3-4 skins, maybe a ward. Most people just grab a skin or two if anything at all.

I dunno, I just think people need to pick their battles. A straight up bundle with some limited time skins that you can buy at a discounted rate sounds like a perfect balance. If you just give skins you can get anywhere else you won't get nearly the sales. Of course you'd get a lot more sales from blind boxes, but that is so scummy and I can't believe I see people defending it like they do in things like Overwatch.

zkylon

zkylewd
bear in mind i mean Limited skins with a capital L

legacy skins are fine, part of the fun of buying a halloween skin is that it's exclusive to that date, and since u can buy it next year anyways it's not such a big deal

ideally everything would be available at all time but that's my middle ground

Ashhong

I don't know what time issues would have to do with it. They handed out little "collectors" cups made out of the lamest, cheapest plastic (about the quality of a movie theater collector's cup) that they shoved lanyards, boom sticks that deflate after 30 minutes, and some cheap silicone bracelets. They also put in scratch cards where you could win RP or one grand prize monitor. Between my friends and I, we did about 10 and got nothing. Put it in there instead of the lame scratcher.

Even a ward skin would have been good. SOMETHING. The whole concert outside seems kind of lame too. Why not something for the fans that had just paid to be there, sometimes double or triple the cost do to scalpers.

I saw they were throwing out something after game 2, but I couldn't tell what it was. I watched the Rioters throw them out, and legit none of them made it past the first section lol.

If they are skipping IEM then its almost certainly due to not having a roster locked in.

The hyperbole was mostly a joke but don't forget its CLG, chances are they'll do some really fucking dumb roster move like replacing everyobe but Darshan.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

Not really salty but I am a tad disappointed. I mean I know the bar was set up high in previous years. But attending and not even getting a skin code is extremely disappointing. We just got a lanyard and a flimsy Championship Zed Cup when all is said and done. Meh...

zkylon

zkylewd
things are weird atm, old players like edward and cyanide and hai and voyboy have been talking about playing again

would be nice to see like a revival of sorts lol

Ashhong

Not really salty but I am a tad disappointed. I mean I know the bar was set up high in previous years. But attending and not even getting a skin code is extremely disappointing. We just got a lanyard and a flimsy Championship Zed skin when all is said and done. Meh...

What you got a Championship Zed skin????

patchday

whoa this thread still a thing. LoL's gaf community is truly wonderful

Im all for Limited skins

I got Riven with a crown or something from S2

Suck it riven mains who will never ever ever have her

that makes me sad cause I think shes too good for you ;(

sarcasms

zkylon

zkylewd
Is there a tl dr? I ain't got time for an hour and a half video!
dardoch has a big ego

loco has a big ego

piglet is a cutie

rest are like "oh god what did i do to deserve this"

dardoch actually saying things like my bot lane is d5, locodoco smashing a keyboard against the wall, matt bearing his feelings and locodoco being like "yeah, ok whatever" lol and piglet rolling in bed like a 8 year old

Hubb

mind u dardoch is like 17

That doesn't matter to me, but any team looking to pick him up (or has Fox already done that?) is going to see this and know they need to put him on some kind of leash. Maybe he can mature, but as of right now I don't think he is anywhere near good enough to have a team put up with his attitude.

Granted I don't get to see everything, so I can only speak from what is out in public.

Oh and I don't really like Locodoco either so this isn't some biased thing.

Hubb

Wow, can't believe I watched an hour of that. Was better than I thought and a pretty good insight into how much TL was hurting themselves. If anyone is interested 49:00 starts why Piglet left and goes for a little bit.

zkylon

zkylewd
i think the doc does a good job of showing u different sides of most players, dardoch is kind of an asshole but he's also really committed and probably works the hardest out of any of the other players, and neither piglet nor loco nor fenix look too easy to work with, and while matt and lourlo seem to be mostly harmless, they're too passive and don't provide any positive influence either

overall it feels like mostly a failure on loco's side, which isn't such a big deal since u know, no one died or anything lol, but i feel like so many clashing personalities needed someone to keep em in check and to unite them towards a same goal

also i say dardoch is like 17 cos like, try and think if you at age 17 would've been prepared to go live with strangers and train for 16 hours a day and then play live in front of millions and be judged and shit on and whatnot. and like piglet must've be like what, 20 at most?

i feel like these kids shouldn't be judged too severly for how they act in the heat of the moment when they're frustrated and angry and feel as much pressure as they do

Top Bottom