• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leak? Middle Earth: Shadow of War [Box Art, Game Details, tons of DLC]

What do you think the "Gold War Chest" is for?

Results are only viewable after voting.
It's been a while since I finished the game, but I'm pretty sure the protagonist's powers have to do with Shadows, which may be why they want it prominently in the title
Oh I guess.

But yeah the 'Shadow of' series and then having to resort to 'War' for the second one just sounds like they never expected to become a series of games.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Oh I guess.

But yeah the 'Shadow of' series and then having to resort to 'War' for the second one just sounds like they never expected to become a series of games.
I've heard there were concerns about Monolith's continued existence if the first game didn't perform, and it wasn't really expected to perform.

But it seemed to end up in the 4-5+ million territory, so then they were golden.

What else were you expecting to change? Honest question.

i'm waiting for footage to make judgements but I want new mechanics, deeper/expanded nemesis system, new environments, animations, etc.

also waiting to see how dropping last gen systems affects this game

Matt

Oh I guess.

Every original AAA game is made with the expectation of it becoming a series.

Planet

The next title after this will change to another universe and be titled: Westeros - Shadow of Hodor. Out in late 2020 on PS5, Xbox Two and PC, so way before book 6...

I've heard there were concerns about Monolith's continued existence if the first game didn't perform, and it wasn't really expected to perform.

But it seemed to end up in the 4-5+ million territory, so then they were golden.
Well, in that case, at least this meh naming scheme has a happy origin.

Every original AAA game is made with the expectation of it becoming a series.
Nirolak begs to differ :)

Neptonic

Okay do retailers put up boring stuff accidentally as well as games? Like does someone accidentally leak a brand new sofa bed on target.com but nobody notices because it's a fuckin couch?

These are the things that keep me up at night.

Ramenman

Also "Nothing will be forgotten" is a very good tagline for a sequel to Mordor.
Further proves they understood the strength of their own game and that they're building upon it.

The title makes me hope they expanded the nemsis system to a full blown conflict between factions you can manipulate. They should also ditch the standard story no one cared about in the first game and make it all about emergent gameplay.

but no muh precious story missions and epic boss battles and good ending!! and what about living breathing towns full of NPCs !!

I 100% agree with you but as far as AAA audience goes we'll always be a minority, they'll never drop story and may even risk trying to make "a huge world" and "thousands of quests" or whatever thing that's not actually needed for Mordor but that people want to hear :D

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
When your dlc leaks before your game is announced.....

Really makes you think

I was just thinking about that and how some reactions to various DLC announcements go. This is about as early as it gets. I guess maybe something like EVOLVE has it beat?

I enjoyed my time with the first one but all that DLC makes me just want to wait for a GOTY edition. It's extremely rare for me to go back to a game after the initial play through no matter how good the DLC supposedly is.

I platinumed the first one , so I'm in day one. The nemesis system is one of the coolest things I've seen in a game and I would love to see how it's expanded upon

Ramenman

I wouldnt jump on the season pass at all. The first game's dlc was pretty rubbish.

the beastmaster DLC was great, I mean it had stealth caragors, more caragors is alway good.

Also warchiefs on beasts was nice. And the character model was better than the default one.

Sayad

Poor Kratos! 😐

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I hope they ditched the Assassin's Creed rip-off locomotion. It was shameless, and worse, it sucked.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
The first one was samey and boring as fuck, with a story so stupid it would make Tolkien spin in his grave. Yet here we are.

I'll get the GOTY edition for cheap.

Skux

I guess they were trying to do a Batman Arkham with the name and make it sound bigger and more grandiose each time. (Asylum, City, Knight)

"Shadow of Mordor" would have expanded to "Shadow of Middle-earth" but then you would've gotten "Middle-earth: Shadow of Middle-earth" lol

Ramenman

I hope they ditched the Assassin's Creed rip-off locomotion. It was shameless, and worse, it sucked.

It was actually a lot less complex than Assassin's Creed climbing ever was, it was a lot more straightfoward with the character being able to jump and climb several meters at once.
I enjoyed it more for these reasons, because it was also a lot less sluggish and finicky.

Never understood why people thought it was "the same as Assassin's Creed", probably a mix of the setting reminiscent of middle-age and the character performing air assassinations with a dagger, but that's just surface.
But the "climbing" was way closer to something like Infamous for example, jumping from point to point, not reaching out for specific parts of buildings.
Uncharted 4's climbing looks more like assassin's creed than mordor's climbing does, if anything.

The overall controls and movement had way more to do with Batman than AC (and yes I mean even outside of combat).

TheXbox

I was hoping this would be set somewhere else in Middle-earth, like the North. Somewhere we haven't seen before. Story will be terrible again if that rumor is anything to go by.

I had a hell of a great time with the first one, but it's flawed as fuck. Enjoyed the Nemesis system, enjoyed the simplistic Batman-esque combat, hated how Assassin's Creedy it was. Reduce the collectables, remove the towers, make the plot less of a shitshow and we're onto a winner.

Rather than get this though, I might just play the DLC I didn't get round to the first time because when I bought it the PS4 actually started getting games.

Top Bottom