• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leak? Middle Earth: Shadow of War [Box Art, Game Details, tons of DLC]

What do you think the "Gold War Chest" is for?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Chairhome

I can't get over how weird it is that they named this Shadow of War and not eg War of Mordor
It's been a while since I finished the game, but I'm pretty sure the protagonist's powers have to do with Shadows, which may be why they want it prominently in the title

Playing SOM on my PS4 Pro currently, pretty hyped. Now that theres no more cross-gen BS, cannot wait to see how the game looks/plays on current gen only hardware!

Supposedly going to be revealed monday, so tomorrow depending on what timezone you're in (UK here) so I guess there's still a chance for that March 8th date to be for Arkham. It's 50/50. Played mordor, find it extremely repetitive and boring. Hope the sequel is much better.

Frostman

It would be a far better time to release than September through November, which looks like even more of a Bloodbath than usual this year.

I agree, I would prefer this date. August has usually been a dry month for me last year being an exception with Deus Ex

With the obvious faults of the first one and now Horizon raising the bar for open world games I will remain cautiously optimistic about this but it has potential to be great!

Hopeford

I fucking love the first game, so I'll probably day 1 this if I'm not busy with life. I know a lot of people here didn't like the game, but it was my GOTY when it came out. I know the game was simplistic as hell, but I had SO, SO MUCH FUN just screwing around with the Nemesis system.

Hope they fix the difficulty though. Main issue in the last game is that you eventually got so powerful dying was less a rarity and more an impossibility. And that affected the Nemesis system quite a bit sometimes and you had to handicap yourself to die more often, which was unfortunate. If they fix this, it will be one of my favorite games ever.

Hopefully the Nemesis System works this time, the game rarely if ever adapted to what I did. It kept throwin generals at me whose weakness was arrows to the head, they rarely got "stronger" after killing me & there were a few times where it brought back Orcs that I decapitated which I thought signified the final encounter you were gonna have with that particular Orc.

Killing Orcs by throwing them off ledges & cliffs that were only 2 feet off the ground never got old though.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Didn't knew there was a sequel coming. They better have a proper campaign and fix the difficulty, spamming evade and trashing mobs with eyes closed got pretty old quickly!

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
It would be a far better time to release than September through November, which looks like even more of a Bloodbath than usual this year.
Maybe i'm not following release dates so close this year but Q1/Q2 looks much stronger than Q3/Q4. I mean besides the usual annual releases like CoD and Battlefront 2, what else is there this year?

Skux

Oh damn I was not expecting a sequel. I liked the first game but it felt more like a template. The sequel has a chance to be something great.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Maybe i'm not following release dates so close this year but Q1/Q2 this looks much stronger than Q3/Q4. I mean besides the usual annual releases like CoD and Battlefront 2, what else is there this year?
Hypothetically Destiny 2 and Red Dead Redemption 2, though I'm skeptical of the latter.

There's also Ubisoft who will assuredly wheel out at least one game they want to sell 10+ million copies.

If we assume they all make it out, that gives us six or seven 10-20+ million selling games in three months.

That's before we even get to smaller titles that do 5+ million like Madden.

I didn't write down Nintendo's potential line-up yet since it's not 100% clear what's actually shipping, but there's overlap potential there.

Mind, Q1/Q2 is stronger for games GAF is interested in, but launching next to Persona and Nioh is way less scary than Destiny 2 and RDR2 for something like this.

Ramenman

YEEEESSS I'm so pumped.

Mordor is my GOTY 2013 and one of the best games of the generation so far, and the only AAA breaking some new ground with open-world structure and systems on a macro scale, AND it did it marvelously well in its first try.

All of this as a delicious wrapper around a very good core gameplay based on batman and lots of very cool unique powers and mechanics and meaningful upgrades to unlock. No complaints here either. Shadow Strikes and Caragor riding/taming/attacks were two of my most fondly remember bits.

I can't wait to see where they go with this sequel. Hopefully an actual reveal soon.

Though this is probably the worst way to leak, with your whole monetization pre-order DLC season pass thingies going out before you even got the chance to pitch your game, as shame for the devs :p

I really enjoyed the first one but they really need to flesh out the world/environments for me to bite on the second. It was boring as shit to look at. Music was forgettable as well. In hindsight it was an okay game, not great, but not bad.

Xero

YEEEESSS I'm so pumped.

Mordor is my GOTY 2013 and one of the best games of the generation so far, and the only AAA breaking some new ground with open-world structure and systems on a macro scale, AND it did it marvelously well in its first try.

All of this as a delicious wrapper around a very good core gameplay based on batman and lots of very cool unique powers and mechanics and meaningful upgrades to unlock. No complaints here either. Shadow Strikes and Caragor riding/taming/attacks were two of my most fondly remember bits.

I can't wait to see where they go with this sequel. Hopefully an actual reveal soon.

Though this is probably the worst way to leak, with your whole monetization pre-order DLC season pass thingies going out before you even got the chance to pitch your game, as shame for the devs :p

This is one of the few games I just cannot understand this opinion. Normally something just isn't my cup of tea and I can understand it. Shadows of Mordor I just completely cannot comprehend this amount of praise for it.

I am hoping Shadow of War will have a better graphics engine than the modified LithTech that Shadow of Mordor used. Unreal Engine 4 will be perfect.

Massicot

The first game wasn't stellar but had the groundwork for something great. Lets see if this properly iterates on it. Loved people sharing their specific Nemesis stories in the first OT.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Hypothetically Destiny 2 and Red Dead Redemption 2, though I'm skeptical of the latter.

There's also Ubisoft who will assuredly wheel out at least one game they want to sell 10+ million copies.

If we assume they all make it out, that gives us six or seven 10-20+ million selling games in three months.

That's before we even get to smaller titles that do 5+ million like Madden.

I didn't write down Nintendo's potential line-up yet since it's not 100% clear what's actually shipping, but there's overlap potential there.

Mind, Q1/Q2 is stronger for games GAF is interested in, but launching next to Persona and Nioh is way less scary than Destiny 2 and RDR2 for something like this.

Yeah, i completely forgot Destiny 2 is a thing, not sure on RDR2 releasing this year given Rockstar's history though.

Wagram

First one was interesting, but it had no reason to be in any GoTY discussions. I would like to see some substantial improvements.

Top Bottom