• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[LEAK] PlayStation Monthly Active Users as of Feb 2023: PS3 - 1.9M; PS4 - 70.3M; PS5: 37.1M

4g9yZGS.png

S0ULZB0URNE

Means money is still to be made with the older generations 😶

Sony needs to offer some type of trade up promotion or incentives *cough*-PS3 backwards compatibility- for those generations.

Last edited:

Skifi28

I’m still buying games on the PSN store. Got Killer is Dead and Puppeteer this year. I hope my PS3 never dies.
I just changed my desk setup and I now have room to have mine always connected, so many stuff you can't play anywhere else. Well, I suppose there's always emulation, but I'd rather have original hardware if I can.

How does buying on the PS3 store work? Can you buy directly or do you need to put credits from a modern platform and use those?

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
I’m still buying games on the PSN store. Got Killer is Dead and Puppeteer this year. I hope my PS3 never dies.

Me too. Hooked up my PS3 a couple of months ago and started buying a lot of games on the store out of fear when Sony threatened to close it. PS3 has a great library of games that are still stuck on the console. It also has a far better BC support with PS1 and PS2 than PS4 and 5 has. I love my PS3. Probably the best console Sony has made, although PS5 is pretty damn good too.

tommib

I just changed my desk setup and I now have room to have mine always connected, so many stuff you can't play anywhere else. Well, I suppose there's always emulation, but I'd rather have original hardware if I can.

How does buying on the PS3 store work? Can you buy directly or do you need to put credits from a modern platform and use those?
You do need to put money on your wallet though the PS5. At least, that’s how I’m doing it.

tommib

It also has a far better BC support with PS1
Oh, yeah. I have a US account and have classics like PS1 Silent Hill, Tomb Raider and Resident Evil 2 and I play them like god intended. I never tried using the Blu-ray player for old PS1 games.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member

I tried RPSC3 but it doesn't work that great with a lot of the software. Lots of graphical issues such as flickering and weird artifacts. Frame rate can be all over the place too. Games that use sixaxis, such as Folklore, is a pain in the ass to play and not really worth the effort. Some games work flawlessly but a majority of the ones I tried didn't, unfortunately. Original hardware is still the best bet when it comes to PS3, imo.

wvnative

you have to load a gift card on your ps4 or ps5, the funds will be there on ps3. credit cards no longer work.

I wonder why there are spikes on january and february? holidays I guess?

And no wonder people are still making PS4 games. Also it seems PS5 sales are essentially the people who used to have PS4.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
VitaPS3 means life. 2M is a little surprising but that PS4 number is just impressive.

Last edited:
Those PS3 numbers are shocking, I'm still playing my ps2 got an hdmi connector and hdd full of games 😏 play it more than my switch I think I'll always be a retro gamer it makes me appreciate the graphics of current gen I just wish sony had full hardware backwards compatibility on PS5 they would make a killing on the catalog.

DarthPutin

And no wonder people are still making PS4 games. Also it seems PS5 sales are essentially the people who used to have PS4.
IIRC PlayStation said that they have like 30% new users who never had PS4. But I don't remember exact figures, there was also something similar with XSS IIRC, so I might mix up numbers.

IIRC PlayStation said that they have like 30% new users who never had PS4. But I don't remember exact figures, there was also something similar with XSS IIRC, so I might mix up numbers.
They did mention that, but those are basically those who were lost post Xbox One era and did not buy Xbox Series (basically just some marketshare from Xbox), but this MAU numbers show that by and large those console sales don't change much for Sony.

I think there was a chart somewhere recently with PS4, PS5, Xbox One and XBS and basically XS selling less that XBO matched with the PS selling more. But now that we have this chart - MAU was it did not change anything.

Last edited:

chonga

I wonder why there are spikes on january and february? holidays I guess?

The spikes are in December and January, not January and February.

February is when the spike wears away.

Which is why the dude comparing the latest February against a January month is pointless.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
What am i looking at?
Recap of OPs chart I did in excel.

In that two year gap, their PS hardware MAU trend is flat (gains in PS5 just equal losses to PS3/PS4). All the gains in MAU are non-console users, so PC or any device that can play PS games without being a Playstation system.

No wonder Sony is big into ports, and the thread about expanding PS sub plans to stream on more devices.

Sushi_Combo

Me too. Hooked up my PS3 a couple of months ago and started buying a lot of games on the store out of fear when Sony threatened to close it. PS3 has a great library of games that are still stuck on the console. It also has a far better BC support with PS1 and PS2 than PS4 and 5 has. I love my PS3. Probably the best console Sony has made, although PS5 is pretty damn good too.
Switched out the HDD to an SSD and downloaded a ton of games from my purchase list. The system is still functional and I seriously miss the XMB layout from this era.

Kerotan

Also, PS5 is still so far from PS4 number of active users. Surprised Spider-Man 2 was not cross-gen taking into account their sales expectations.
They have sold a lot of ps5 in the 10 months since this.

PS3 bros stand up! Played like 20 game's in mine this past year.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Switched out the HDD to an SSD and downloaded a ton of games from my purchase list. The system is still functional and I seriously miss the XMB layout from this era.

I did the same! Just installed a 1tb Kingston SSD. UI and the shop feels so much faster and fluid. Load times in games are shaved off a couple of seconds too, which is also a nice bonus. PS3 feels modern again 💪

simpatico

PS5 barely mustering half of the PS4 base midway through the Gen?

Was it like this with PS3 midway through the PS4 Gen? This will always been remembered as the most impotent console generation. Might have been bad enough to kill the medium. Not gaming, but physical consoles and defined gens.

Also, PS5 is still so far from PS4 number of active users. Surprised Spider-Man 2 was not cross-gen taking into account their sales expectations.
Some day I'll be an 80 year old man and my ps3 slim will still be hooked up to a screen and the grandkids will love it.

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
PS5 barely mustering half of the PS4 base midway through the Gen?

Was it like this with PS3 midway through the PS4 Gen? This will always been remembered as the most impotent console generation. Might have been bad enough to kill the medium. Not gaming, but physical consoles and defined gens.
Don’t know about the PS3 drop-off compared to PS4, but PS5 is tracking roughly inline with PS4 launch-aligned total sales (one week behind) and substantially ahead on comparative monthly sales.

God Steam is a behemoth compared to Playstation now, a far Cry from the PS2 and PS3 eras. Steam monthly active users only continues to increase, back in the day it was a feat to reach 10 million MAUs but not by bit Steam has only grown and now it has north of 120mil. I don't see Playstation ever catching up because every new console generation they start at 0.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
God Steam is a behemoth compared to Playstation now, a far Cry from the PS2 and PS3 eras. Steam monthly active users only continues to increase, back in the day it was a feat to reach 10 million MAUs but not by bit Steam has only grown and now it has north of 120mil. I don't see Playstation ever catching up because every new console generation they start at 0.
Console user base for MS/Sony/Nintendo collectively hasn't grown. It actually peaked during the 360/Wii/PS3/handheld days. Dropped and then leveled off. It's basically gamers just trading up to new hardware or swapping platforms.

Check my excel chart recap I did earlier today. In two years, PS3/PS4/PS5 total MAU hasnt changed. It's just swapped up to Ps5.

I think only PC and mobile user base are truly growing in the industry.

Thats not to say money doesn't trend up. Every platform can amp up on mtx or higher prices or sub plan fees etc.... But console hardware unit base hasn't zoomed up the charts with gaming dollar revenue.

Top Bottom