• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leaked iPhone 7 Plus Design = iPhone 6 Plus w/o Headphone Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see it now, Tim comes one stage, talks numbers then, the big reveal. Followed by "Don't believe everything you read." Shows iPhone with headphones plugged into a 3.5mm port.

I thought the future was supposed to be wireless everything.

I like progress. If the iPhone 7s plus or whatever it's called does come with no head phone jack and a free pair of wireless head phone I'll jump ship and buy.

This is coming from a person who use to listen to his Walkman going and coming back from school back in the day. I would've thought Gaf would have been excited for this small push foward.

kami_sama

I like progress. If the iPhone 7s plus or whatever it's called does come with no head phone jack and a free pair of wireless head phone I'll jump ship and buy.

This is coming from a person who use to listen to his Walkman going and coming back from school back in the day. I would've thought Gaf would have been excited for this small push foward.

The problem is not the progress by itself, but the lack of quality of alternatives.
The benefits are small compared to the problems. It really only benefits the OEM, with more space inside the phone. You can always go full wireless if you desire right now.
But, going wireless means there's another gadget you have to charge, more battery consumption on the phone, headphones cost more, and right now, wireless audio is simply not good enough.
It's not an "organic" change. It comes mandated from above.

You can do Bluetooth without forcing the removal of the 3.5mm jack. I don't see why its existence bothers you.

AllenShrz

Whats stopping you from going wireless now?

You can buy your cheap headphones with bad quality audio now, enjoy your "progress" at the expense of options.

The problem is not the progress by itself, but the lack of quality of alternatives.
The benefits are small compared to the problems. It really only benefits the OEM, with more space inside the phone. You can always go full wireless if you desire right now.
But, going wireless means there's another gadget you have to charge, more battery consumption on the phone, headphones cost more, and right now, wireless audio is simply not good enough.
It's not an "organic" change. It comes mandated from above.

This is something I'll have to look into because I'm ignorant on the entire subject. I thought Gaf was just resisting change because they didn't want to get rid of their wired headphones.

Thanks for the reply.

You can do Bluetooth without forcing the removal of the 3.5mm jack. I don't see why its existence bothers you.

Never said anything bothers me. I'm just curious on the tech side of things.

Whats stopping you from going wireless now?

You can buy your cheap headphones with bad quality audio now, enjoy your "progress" at the expense of options.

I just figured that if Apple built it in the phone the quality wouldn't be bad. If it's built into the phone with a good to great quality I think it's a plus.

Also when CD players became a thing I slowly lost out on options for my Walkman. Or was it MP3 players? Things get dated.

I'll just wait and see.

AllenShrz

I just figured that if Apple built it in the phone the quality wouldn't be bad. If it's built into the phone with a good to great quality I think it's a plus.

Built what? a new wireless standard that can match what is a available now with cable??

Or Headphones? Beat wireless headphones?! Included in the package with no extra charge?!! With good sound quality?!!!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Never said anything bothers me. I'm just curious on the tech side of things.

Also when CD players became a thing I slowly lost out on options for my Walkman. Or was it MP3 players? Things get dated.

I'll just wait and see.

You'd think. Apple still don't support AptX which improves audio quality over Bluetooth with compatible headphones/speakers. iPhone has horrible wireless audio quality. Although you're probably right - if they went wireless only they'd probably introduce their own proprietary codec which improves quality but requires new headphones

Built what? a new wireless standard that can match what is a available now with cable??

Or Headphones? Beat wireless headphones?! Included in the package with no extra charge?!! With good sound quality?!!!

Dude, why are you so excited? Did I kick your dog or something?

If Apple wants to take away wired head phones for their next iPhone I'm sure they need to know the only way they can get away with it is by building in a wireless feature that's just as good as wired head phones. Doesn't new iPhone come with a wired head phone? Why wouldn't they include wireless head phones with the new IPhone, especially if they want it to take off.

Edit : let's say apple releases the iphone 7 without wired headphones and replaced it with wireless headphone features. Let's say it sucks. Like sucks really bad. It'll be a mistake on their part and they may or may not lose a considerable amount of $$$ over it. Not only that, they'll have to be embarrassed as they go back and release iPhone 7 with head phone jack.

I'm not going to spend the rest of my sick filled night thinking about head phones.

CS_Dan

What if for this generation they included wireless buds to gauge reactions, get people used to the idea of wireless. Then, once everyone is comfortable with them, drop the jack?

No headphone jack, no go.

I was thinking about buying a iPhone 6s Plus as my first iPhone anyhow (seeing that something huge is going to happen on the iPhone's 10th Anniversary next year with the iPhone 8).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom