• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leaks and Spoilers

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
As we approach a new round of vg shows, would it be possible to try and keep spoilers out of topic titles so people who want to can enjoy the shows and reveals, rather than wait for the procession of things we already know are coming to end?

I'm not sure if I'm in the minority around here, and everyone always watches the final scenes of a movie first, or reads the last page of a book before they even buy it, but I like going in not knowing what I'm going to get.

So I wonder if people would agree to "new state of play Sony spoiler" rather than "Wolverine game will feature Spiderman and Iron Man - Reveals at State of Play" or whatever just until the event happens.

Obviously if you love the spoilers, then you can still click through and get the stuff you like.

Of course I could just avoid GAF and other sites until then, but I thought I'd see what opinion was all the same.

Last edited:
There are no spoilers for adds, just grow up.

kqz1pzs.gif

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Exactly, this is frankly getting ridiculous. This is about "spoilers" for a marketing event, not the plot of video games. If you don't want to have a marketing event "spoiled", then don't visit video game forums for a little while. It's weird and unreasonable to ask everyone else to adjust.

I think calling these things marketing events is fair but also dismisses that people are looking forward to them. Whether you think that's stupid or not, it is the case.

I don't personally think it's a major imposition to ask people to use slightly less descriptive text for a few days, but maybe I'm weird and unreasonable.

I would personally prefer they be limited to threads with a spoiler tag in the title. There is something fun about the moment of recognition when a big thing is announced, live Keanu Reeves in Cyberpunk, or Captain Titus's reveal in Space Marine 2.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
OP, you are fighting a losing battle.

If not Gaf, then twitter, or google trends, or hell fucking youtube.com home page will be spoiling any announcement leaks between now and then anyway.

The only way is a complete blackout.

Camreezie

I think calling these things marketing events is fair but also dismisses that people are looking forward to them. Whether you think that's stupid or not, it is the case.

I don't personally think it's a major imposition to ask people to use slightly less descriptive text for a few days, but maybe I'm weird and unreasonable.
You can take a measure of not going on the site for a couple of days or you can ask everyone to Implement a new rule. Sounds like it's you this time mate

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I would personally prefer they be limited to threads with a spoiler tag in the title. There is something fun about the moment of recognition when a big thing is announced, live Keanu Reeves in Cyberpunk, or Captain Titus's reveal in Space Marine 2.
That's what I think too. C'est la vie.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
As we approach a new round of vg shows, would it be possible to try and keep spoilers out of topic titles so people who want to can enjoy the shows and reveals, rather than wait for the procession of things we already know are coming to end?

I'm not sure if I'm in the minority around here, and everyone always watches the final scenes of a movie first, or reads the last page of a book before they even buy it, but I like going in not knowing what I'm going to get.

So I wonder if people would agree to "new state of play Sony spoiler" rather than "Wolverine game will feature Spiderman and Iron Man - Reveals at State of Play" or whatever just until the event happens.

Obviously if you love the spoilers, then you can still click through and get the stuff you like.

Of course I could just avoid GAF and other sites until then, but I thought I'd see what opinion was all the same.

Essential Chrome extensions:

- Spoiler Protection 2.0 (image thumbnail blocker and mentions blocker)
- Unspoiler (mentions blocker see screenshot below)

SgvXfOA.jpg

Youtube mentions and channel blacklist tools: BlockTube + Channel Blocker.

Twitter: - go Settings and privacy -> Privacy and safety -> Mute and Block -> Muted words - add Elden Ring [keyword] to the list.

Last edited:

I agree, I think it would be reasonable to have a spoilers/leak thread at this time of year. I kind of look forward to seeing things as they are announced rather than read a post about it.

Of course, I am probably in the minority and can absolutely just avoid this site for a few days.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
OH NO THE GAME TRAILERS GOT SPOILED FOR ME!

Do you yell at your partner at night for telling you they're going to put the dish washer on and then brush their teeth?

BAH GAWD, SPOILING THE NIGHT FOR ME

Christ, this reads like an Era parody thread.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
OH NO THE GAME TRAILERS GOT SPOILED FOR ME!

Do you yell at your partner at night for telling you they're going to put the dish washer on and then brush their teeth?

BAH GAWD, SPOILING THE NIGHT FOR ME

Christ, this reads like an Era parody thread.

That's a pretty weird take, my friend. Hope you're feeling better soon.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Did not expect so many people to respond this way... I never am the first to make the thread so I can't help you Mr Reasonable Mr Reasonable

I will say, it would be a real tragedy if people started DM-ing high profile spoilers in the future to the people acting like jerks in this thread.

YukiOnna

Leaks I agree with. If it's a leak from an upcoming show, I hate if it's featured in the thread title right there. I love watching it and experiencing it blind, but oh well. Spoilers for something announced at the show or confirmed officially is a bit unreasonable though, going to just have to go off-site for that.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Did not expect so many people to respond this way... I never am the first to make the thread so I can't help you Mr Reasonable Mr Reasonable

I will say, it would be a real tragedy if people started DM-ing high profile spoilers in the future to the people acting like jerks in this thread.

I mean, if it was for game shows, yes, it would be a tragedy. Company A is releasing Product B? FUUUUUU-

I'm not saying spoilers in general are silly. I think it's perfectly legitimate to want to engage with a piece of fiction at the pace it wants you to. It's the same reason I listen to albums the whole way through instead of being a radio whore, or I don't start a novel at chapter sixteen.

The thing that I, and others in the thread aren't seeing eye to eye with the OP on, however, is that it's pretty challenging to be spoiled on a series of advertisements. They function specifically to get you in a money spending mood, to get hyped for things that actually can be spoiled, and are becoming largely less representative of the final product as time goes on, anyway.

Final Fantasy XVI isn't going to be ruined for me knowing that there's a trailer for it. He'll, Final Fantasy XVII won't be, either, because I understand how intellectual properties coincide with capitalism. There's always gonna be a new "Popular Franchise," and expecting an entire forum to jump through hoops because of your odd definition of what constitutes a spoiler is kind of off key.

Hell, I'll even concede that people like Schreier and Grubb and Golem are professional piss on paraders, because leaking something, or falsely leaking something, or completely making shit up just dirties the hype train, and I think a studio should be entitled to reveal THEIR work as they see fit, but if it means that much to you, you shouldn't miss the show.

Wait who reads the last page of a book first?

My wife does this. It drives me fucking nuts. In recent years she found a new friend that also does it. FFS, what are the odds of these two lunatics finding each other. SMH.

*Wifey does this even when shopping for books, she reads the last 1-2 pages and then buys the one that apparently "ticks the box". Weird AF.

Last edited:

ShaikhCroft

My wife does this. It drives me fucking nuts. In recent years she found a new friend that also does it. FFS, what are the odds of these two lunatics finding each other. SMH.

*Wifey does this even when shopping for books, she reads the last 1-2 pages and then buys the one that apparently "ticks the box". Weird AF.
Stay far from her to avoid spoilers!

Top Bottom