• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As of right now, the Wolverine leaks show combat that is very reminiscent of GOW 2018, and I'm not a fan of the camera perspective at all.

Should Wolverine PS5 have a close-up camera like GOW 2018 or a camera like Devil May Cry?

• Close-Up Camera (GOW 2018, The Last of Us)

Votes: 48 40.0%
  • Pulled-Back Camera (Devil Mary Cry, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance)

Votes: 72 60.0%

• Total voters
While we are still years away from the final game, generally at this point in development, the primary elements of gameplay are set in stone such as the camera positioning and the basic combat concepts. GOW 2018 for example, even though there were some minor variations in the combat mechanics, the basic concepts and the camera perspective were the same throughout development judging by the prototype footage.

There is enough footage in the leaks to see that Insomniac's Wolverine game takes very heavy influence from God of War 2018 with the third person camera more fitting for a third-person shooter game, and honestly I'm not excited at the idea of Insomniac going in such a direction. The gameplay in God of War 2018 and Ragnarok felt clunky compared to the original God of War series, with concessions that were counter-intuitive to the "immersion" God of War 2018 was trying to achieve such as the circle light indicator (and the companion warning Kratos of an off-screen attack) rather than being able to see the enemy prepare the attack all because of how little the player is able to see the enemies around them. How "deep" the gameplay is in GOW 2018 is debatable, but I don't really see a valid argument for why the camera shouldn't have been further back like in other games such as Devil May Cry or the X-Men Origins Wolverine game outside of the "cinematic presentation" which I think defeats the purpose of a game. Communicating brutality and power can be just as well through brief close-ups when needed as well as other techniques.

I was worried that Insomniac would just use the Spider-Man combat for Wolverine, and the idea of them applying the third-person perspective like in GOW 2018 is not something I was expecting. Perhaps I have been too infatuated with the idea of going back to the gameplay reminiscent of X-men Origins Wolverine, but the GOW 2018 style just seems disappointing and I can already imagine how clunky the perspective is going to make Wolverine PS5 feel. I really hope Insomniac changes their mind on the camera perspective and allows for a more pulled-back camera, but I fully expect them to go full steam ahead on this decision of keeping the third-person shooter camera perspective when playing as Wolverine.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It's going to be similar for the most part.

Both games are heaviliy focused on close range combat.. And both Kratos and Wolverine arent exactly methodical jiujitsu or taekwondo fighters. Both heroes are angry mash and splash attackers.

Gojiira

Nah, DMC style camera works because of the way combat is handled, personally I dont want Wolverine to feel like Dante or Raiden moving at blinding speeds and juggling enemies its just stupid.
He’s heavy, strong,brutal, the camera being up close will hopefully convey these things if the animations and combat work towards this. Its way to early to tell if they will pull this off but Insomniac have a good track record so we’ll see.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Single player tent pole game will be marketed and sell well. Very popular character too. I assume Batman style combat.

Pimpbaa

I’m fine with the gameplay being similar to krato’s combat in GOW 2018 and its sequel. But If I have to take care of a child that complains all the time I’m gonna flip a table or something.

Yes, judge a game that's still years out based on unfinished pre alpha game development build. That is 100% how the final product and the game will ship. GG, it's all over now for Wolverine /s

Last edited:

poodaddy

Gameplay is the least of my concerns, Insomniac has shown for many years that they are very good at putting a fun and competent gameplay loop together. The story and missions' structure on the other hand...
This and the writing. Based on the leaks and what we know about this company's values, not to mention how cringey some of the writing was in Spoders 2, to say I'm worried would be an understatement.

SO FUCKING WHAT!
Comments like this make no sense.
We have been infiltrated by corpos!
Scared Panic GIF

Soodanim

Gold Member
I'm currently playing through new GOW, and while I wouldn't mind a slightly higher FOV I do enjoy the camera and don't mind the warnings the NPCs give you.

As much as I enjoyed the original GOW camera, I don't think it would have worked for the way combat is in new GOW. Originally it was designed for mid-range sweeping attacks, but gameplay designed around an axe needs it to be closer. Not necessarily as close as it is, but definitely closer.

Whether or not that requirement translates to Wolverine depends on how agile and fluid they want the gameplay to be, but as it's Insomniac who like cinematic games I imagine they will stick with the closer style.

cormack12

Gold Member
Part of the design masks out of view enemies waiting to attack as well. Would look odd if they were just in a circle standing there (you can sometimes catch it in Ragnarok, especially in the trials).

Problem is simple to solve with that camera.

Dont throw a barrage of enemies at player. Focus more on 1-2 enemies which are formidable enough.

but I suspect Insomniac wouldn’t have time to create something properly polished in gameplay department.

It will likely be busy in perfecting lip syncing.

Fredrik

Looks like standard third person action but sure a zoomed out perspective is always better since you can see what’s going on around you.
But I think it’s what you would expect, devs care more about viceral close-up action today so they can add movie sequences when you break a neck and impale someone etc, they even add it to fighting games.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I would be more worried about the mentality in place at Insomniac fucking up this game .. after what I heard from SM2 and the recent inclusivity focus leak ... things are not very promising right now.. hope something changes
This feels like a “found something to keep bringing up like people used to shit TLoU threads with”.

What you “heard” (not played) about a game and focus studies that EVERY SINGLE medium to large dev is running (including Nintendo) because tons and tons of industry consultant are telling companies that Good standing DEI programs make them more efficient and richer (which is the snake oil they sell) on top of how it was spreading already.

Also, exaggerated as hiring consultants and travelling to learn more about what you are going to be depicting is not a weird practice and if you need a DEI course to make you see that well we had other problems 😂.

———

I thought this post of yours was off topic, but I guess it was a difference of perspective (so it fits talking about the camera).

Meme Reaction GIF by Travis

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
One of these has actual impact, weight/meat and a viscerality to it. The other is a bunch of paperweight punches and flashes on screen. No meat, character feels weak and feminine.

6ePwOAfwdMZsOByx21f079QETV_k8-fW4vbG-LSGcGpJAkrIHBlG7CKv-oNltat9DIvopAKGQmR6E0L5-GPHg3JJ46eqdblv8S01MU1TLWa5IiPhJReb2uKUol2kgxKQErpzp_pE

giphy.gif

You tell me which is which.

"Sick Skills!"

No thank you

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
but I suspect Insomniac wouldn’t have time to create something properly polished in gameplay department.
Aside from asking where the hope springs eternal attitude to games went, seems to be there in “other” threads 🤔, why would a game that has so much time left in production not have time to create something polished?

It will likely be busy in perfecting lip syncing.
How does this stack in priority with everything else lol? Since it will have cinematics and character interacting excuse them from not having a shitty experience there. There is time for them to have a polished all around package. Their history and reputation speak for themselves (despite puddlegate like BS storm in a teacup like scenarios).

You see how this eternally pessimistic or suspicious attitude with some topics and greener ones met with a hope springs eternal attitude (always an upside) plus a good dose of victim card playing does give astroturfing smell even beyond the one you would want to give out?

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

One of these has actual impact, weight/meat and a viscerality to it. The other is a bunch of paperweight punches and flashes on screen. No meat, character feels weak and feminine.

6ePwOAfwdMZsOByx21f079QETV_k8-fW4vbG-LSGcGpJAkrIHBlG7CKv-oNltat9DIvopAKGQmR6E0L5-GPHg3JJ46eqdblv8S01MU1TLWa5IiPhJReb2uKUol2kgxKQErpzp_pE

giphy.gif

You tell me which is which.

"Sick Skills!"

No thank you

SO MUCH WEIGHT:

Kikorin

I was expecting a Batman Arkham style of combat, more than a GoW one. Anyway, I hope it'll feels good and reactive at the end.

Expecting western devs to make something close to Bayonetta/DMC/Japanese action games in general is pointless because they'll never "sacrifice" animations and "cinematic experience" for a better combat feeling and gameplay. Also, probably they'll have no clue how to do it right, so better stick with what they are good at.

Last edited:
I'm kind of in the middle on this topic. I enjoyed the combat system of GoW18. It's not the best combat in the gaming world, but it was decent. However, from the moment I started the game to the moment I finished it, I always felt too zoomed in on Kratos and would have enjoyed a wider FOV to see more of the environment and more of the enemies around me. I'm feeling the same way about the Wolverine leaks thus far.

Last edited:
Aside from asking where the hope springs eternal attitude to games went, seems to be there in “other” threads 🤔, why would a game that has so much time left in production not have time to create something polished?

How does this stack in priority with everything else lol? Since it will have cinematics and character interacting excuse them from not having a shitty experience there. There is time for them to have a polished all around package. Their history and reputation speak for themselves (despite puddlegate like BS storm in a teacup like scenarios).

You see how this eternally pessimistic or suspicious attitude with some topics and greener ones met with a hope springs eternal attitude (always an upside) plus a good dose of victim card playing does give astroturfing smell even beyond the one you would want to give out?

I don’t think we are looking for same thing. I always find haphazardly created open world or throwing mobs of enemies to be lack of polish.

If they want to keep camera that close, every encounter needs to be handcrafted with right number of enemies and so it always feels crunchy and great.

Instead I expect them to throw tons of fodder class enemies at you like they did in spiderman games. They have done that before hence scepticism.

But of course game is far off from release, maybe they will surprise.

Bartski

Gold Member
you know the camera could dynamically change perspectives depending on what's happening on screen?

IAmRei

This and the writing. Based on the leaks and what we know about this company's values, not to mention how cringey some of the writing was in Spoders 2, to say I'm worried would be an understatement.
Plus one for this, i'm one of logan fan, but seing the previous works, i'm afraid i will not like it, and i dont want to waste money for things that i will regret. Not day one for me, just like to wait and see situation.

CGNoire

I was expecting a Batman Arkham style of combat, more than a GoW one. Anyway, I hope it'll feels good and reactive at the end.

Expecting western devs to make something close to Bayonetta/DMC/Japanese action games in general is pointless because they'll never "sacrifice" animations and "cinematic experience" for a better combat feeling and gameplay. Also, probably they'll have no clue how to do it right, so better stick with what they are good at.
Ravensoft already did.

Top Bottom