• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left leaning anti-scientific beliefs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyan

Banned
See, I think it's unscientific to paint with such a broad stroke that a fetus is not human life. More question for philosophy, perhaps, but the fact stands that science defines life while philosophy defines "human life". If we can't reconcile these things then we can never really have a profound argument for or against abortion.
But this type of argument about categories is more typically the realm of philosophy. (Scientific categorization is more about having standards in place so that everyone can understand what they're talking about. See e.g. arguments about Pluto--is it really not a planet? The answer is that it isn't really anything, but it's convenient to define it as not a planet because then we don't have to worry about whether a bunch of other stuff is or is not a planet, and because it's generally useful to agree on terminology.)

"Life begins at conception" is not a statement of scientific fact, it's an attempt to sneak in an argument via categorization. Life implies human life implies moral weight. This is fairly typical of argument by definition. Other examples include "affirmative action is racist by definition" (sneaking in the argument that affirmative action is bad), "genetic engineering is eugenics by definition" (sneaking in the argument that genetic engineering is bad), etc etc.

I don't really see a broad scientific consensus that human life begins at conception or that a fertilized egg immediately gains moral weight. So yeah, I don't see how it's anti-science to disagree with the argument-by-definition and its sneaky implied arguments.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
While such fringe beliefs may exist on the left, it's generally limited to random Democratic voters. Unlike the Republicans, such beliefs are not held by actual elected officials on every level of government.

jmdajr

While such fringe beliefs may exist on the left, it's generally limited to random Democratic voters. Unlike the Republicans, such beliefs are not held by actual elected officials on every level of government.

Elected officials will tell you anything to get elected.

Wait really? I thought it was considered common knowledge that organic food uses less pesticides and doesn't damage the environment as much. Is that not the case?

No, that's the common image projected. "Organic" does not inherently mean the process was more environmentally friendly. In fact, it can result in more wasteful farming and lower quality products. Basically, are there ways farming can be/has been improved? Sure. But "organic" is nonsense.

Timeaisis

But people do do this analysis. No one's saying that fetuses obtain rights in the third trimester because magic. The usual language you see is about how an early fetus is "a clump of cells" or similar, which is getting at how the early fetus doesn't have those features that we associate with rights-having individuals. There's lots of talk about when the fetus can feel pain, which ties into a broader debate about not just human rights but all animal rights, where the idea is that sentience is plausibly an important aspect of personhood.

It seems to me that all you're asking for is a semantic argument, which is really uninteresting. Who cares what we use the words "human life" to mean? That's not what's important, except to the extent there's some sort of Orwellian concern about language here (but I don't think that's where this is going). There's no reason to think that "organism" maps to "person" in any neat way - that's the assumption that seems to me to need a lot more analysis.

Like I said, "life" is just being used to mean "person", and the arguments we have about abortion are very much about justifying particular theories of personhood, although many pro-life arguments are a little confused because the people making them really just think that persons have souls but are instead arguing about things like heartbeats.

Edit: And it should probably be noted that of course a lot of pro-choice arguments are more-or-less willing to grant that the fetus has moral value.

Of course people make these arguments. My point was that plenty on both sides do not. They arbitrarily pick when personhood begins, which does little to support the credibility of their argument or lets me justify my opinion.

The part where the soul comes in just muddies the waters of the whole debate, as you said. I guess my problem comes from, being a pro-life person myself who is more-or-less non-religious, explaining my views to others using simple moral values I apply to aborting a fetus. "Oh, but it isn't life at that point" isn't what I want to hear, because then it just becomes an argument of when life begins, not an argument of the ethics of aborting a potential human life.

I'm getting super off-topic at this point so I'll just leave it at that, but I suppose the bottom line for me is that both sides of the abortion debate like to argue upon a set of biases, out of conveniences, in order to skirt the larger ethical ramifications of aborting a fetus VS protecting a women's rights to do what she wishes with her body. For pro-life: "all fetuses have a soul", and for pro-choice "the fetus isn't a human until X, anyway".

Raonak

Banned
The hate for GMOs is fucking frustrating, I mean, yes the companies are doing some shady stuff, but the concept behind it is great, and the way of the future.

genetically engineering vegetables is something that we have always done, but far slower, like how we breed dogs, we bred vegetables to grow better, taste sweeter, etc. It's just now we can modify it extremely well, and not waste generations.

It's currently the best way we're gonna solve world hunger.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I don't know anyone,myself included, who eats organic(or the EU equivalent) because it's supposed to be healthier. It's always because of ethical or environmental reasons.
Generally I hear a lot about pesticides before I hear about either of those.

Environmental reasons don't really pan out either.

http://news.discovery.com/earth/plants/organic-farms-can-pollute-too-140221.htm

http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebat...e/the-ecological-case-against-organic-farming

Ethical reasons I could understand for meat etc.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I'm againts GMO in the following issues:

- Patenting of DNA sequences: making the code of life a private property.
- Genetic Divide: Not only in the Gataca sense, but these advances, given the current capitalist neo-liberal model, will come to the rich first.
- Unintended consequences.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Very good example, and probably too abstract for some to really explore in depth.

No its definitely the most interesting thing we could be talking about in regards to liberal anti science because attacking it will get you such vitirol.

Woorloog

Banned
- Genetic Divide: Not only in the Gataca sense, but these advances, given the current capitalist neo-liberal model, will come to the rich first.

I would argue that it won't matter what it is, rich will get it first. Anti-human genetic engineering stance won't solve this.
(No comment on actually being anti- or pro-GE.)

EDIT And if not genetic enhancing, then cybernetic or some other. Rich will get it first... and likely could get away with such even if they were illegal or taboos.

Gotchaye

Of course people make these arguments. My point was that plenty on both sides do not. They arbitrarily pick when personhood begins, which does little to support the credibility of their argument or lets me justify my opinion.

The part where the soul comes in just muddies the waters of the whole debate, as you said. I guess my problem comes from, being a pro-life person myself who is more-or-less non-religious, explaining my views to others using simple moral values I apply to aborting a fetus. "Oh, but it isn't life at that point" isn't what I want to hear, because then it just becomes an argument of when life begins, not an argument of the ethics of aborting a potential human life.

I'm getting super off-topic at this point so I'll just leave it at that, but I suppose the bottom line for me is that both sides of the abortion debate like to argue upon a set of biases, out of conveniences, in order to skirt the larger ethical ramifications of aborting a fetus VS protecting a women's rights to do what she wishes with her body. For pro-life: "all fetuses have a soul", and for pro-choice "the fetus isn't a human until X, anyway".

I'm having a hard time picturing the argument you're trying to describe. When you explain your views to others are you starting from principles like: "it's wrong to end a human life"? And then they say "well the fetus isn't life at that point"? I think this is a perfectly reasonable response if you understand "life" to mean "person", which is how lots of people use the word, and which is the only way you could be using the word in order to not be begging the question. So then of course you get into an argument about when life (i.e. personhood) begins, because that's precisely where the disagreement is.

Now, if you're arguing that it's wrong to end a potential human life, then it's a non sequitur to respond with "the fetus isn't a human life yet", but this strikes me as an implausible sort of argument to be having because it's obvious that you've already granted that the fetus is not a human life (it's merely a potential one).

On your second point: Most GMO stuff is quite specifically intended for mass consumption. That's kind of the entire point.
On your third point: This statement is so generic and lacking in context that it has no value.

Abounder

Banned
Not just lefties but there's always voters that want to cut funding for NASA, NSA, especially the military, etc. even though it keeps the USA and Co. on the cutting edge

Buzzman

Banned
Well shit, clearly I should've researched these things more in depth, you just fall into the trap of "well a lot of people say this so it must be true!"

Thanks for the links guys.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Genuinely the irony of a lot of left-leaning anti-scientific beliefs which I'd argue come down mainly to alternative medicine and organic food.. plus GMO to a extent (although the ironic point doesn't really apply that heavily to GMO unless you are making a comparative comparison) is the root of the ideology behind such beliefs comes down to a kind of form of resistance against the profit-driven exploitative nature of capitalism.. which can make such beliefs seem sincere in a way, but the problem is the alternative medicine and organic food industry generally is a profit-driven industry with high profit margins like anything else, but unlike the medical industry, it's profits purely on the basis of lies and deception (this partly applies to big pharma but only in certain cases, simply because the majority of drugs do actually work despite their problems).

What about it? Is it not as harmful to the environment as liberals claim?

In my experience, people opposed to this issue are chiefly educated by things such as the Academy Award nominated documentary "Gasland", which is disingenuous at best, and complete and utter bullshit at worst. It's a glowing example of the problem with liberal anti-science in that a person with no scientific background puts a lot of effort into trying to educate the public about something.

The scientific literature finds that most of the claims made in the movie (and widely in apposition to fracking and shale gas) are untrue, or again, disingenuous.

Fracking doesn't cause earthquakes (of notable magnitude). However, USGS and other reports of waste water injection wells causing earthquakes are often used as evidence of fracking caused earthquakes.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/research/induced/

The increase in seismicity has been found to coincide with the injection of wastewater in deep disposal wells in several locations...

[...]

Hydraulic fracturing, commonly known as “fracking,” does not appear to be linked to the increased rate of magnitude 3 and larger earthquakes.

Lighting your tap water on fire happens anywhere there are hydrocarbon bearing rock strata (i.e. places where fracking is done). There are a variety of reasons for this (poor well casing, permeable strata adjacent to water-bearing units), but it's natural and common.

http://pubs.cas.psu.edu/FreePubs/pdfs/XH0010.pdf

The prevalence of methane in water wells in Pennsylvania is not well defined. A 2011 Penn State study of 233 water wells throughout the Marcellus region of Pennsylvania found detectable methane concentrations in 24% of the water wells before drilling began at adjacent gas well sites.

[...]

A 2012 report from the United States Geological Survey (USGS) summarized dissolved methane results from 239 water wells throughout New York state and found detectable methane concentrations in 53% of the water wells prior to any drilling of unconventional gas wells.

Fracking is the process of retrieving gas from impermeable shale. That fact alone explains why the gas doesn't migrate into other strata. It can't escape that shale strata. Also, most aquifers are relatively shallow (think hundreds of feet), and most of the units used for fracking are thousands of feet below the surface.

The only evidence of groundwater contamination comes from instances where the drilling well itself was not properly cased, or surface spills causing contamination. There are no documented instances of a properly cased well causing groundwater contamination.

http://www.jsg.utexas.edu/news/2011...w-no-direct-link-to-groundwater-contamination

- Many allegations of groundwater contamination appear to be related to above-ground spills or other mishandling of wastewater produced from shale gas drilling, rather than from hydraulic fracturing itself.
- The lack of baseline studies in areas of shale gas development makes it difficult to evaluate the long-term, cumulative effects and risks associated with hydraulic fracturing. Groat said researchers could recommend additional baseline studies, depending on final evaluation of data yet to be compiled.

Rambling post. Sorry, I'm at work and don't have time to edit into something more coherent. Back to work (being a geologist ;) ).

Opiate

Just to be clear, this is a valid position to hold but 1) it's not the typical complaint and 2) It's a purely ideological position.

Again, a great comparison here are libertarian climate change deniers: the core of their objection is typically that they don't believe the government should intervene in private businesses. This is an ideological position that isn't necessarily "true" or "false." It's just a belief or value.

It's certainly something that we should always consider, but almost every change in the world has unintended consequences. I am not reflexively against every change because it could possibly affect the world in ways I cannot anticipate. If I were, I'd be against all change.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
On your second point: Most GMO stuff is quite specifically intended for mass consumption. That's kind of the entire point.
On your third point: This statement is so generic and lacking in context that it has no value.

I have little/no issue with making crops more resistant to plagues, or even designing a total new organism for the terraformation of Mars. I don't like that the new super-humans are going to be the sons of the Kochs, Kardashians, Abramovichs of the world.

It's certainly something that we should always consider, but almost every change in the world has unintended consequences. I am not reflexively against every change because it could possibly affect the world in ways I cannot anticipate. If I were, I'd be against all change.
The third point is more a call for very strict regulation.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
You're both right. Meat is currently economical and convenient and easy, excellent protein. However most of what it offers could eventually be gained from vegetarian sources and vat grown meat. I'd be happy with either of those eventual solutions as long as flavor, texture and nutrition weren't compromised.

I think 300 years from now it will be weird if we're still torturing and killing animals for food.

A lot of vegetarians/vegans went that route strictly because they were uncomfortable with animals being killed/mistreated. But then they felt the need to justify not having meat in their diet from a nutritional standpoint. Some even went so far as to convince themselves that meat was nothing but poison.
Vat-grown meat is meat, but without the issues that drove these people away from meat.
It's going to be interesting to see the mental gymnastics that readily available vat-grown meat will cause.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia

Since people tackle the other two points, let me tackle the first. I'm assuming you are okay with GMOs, just don't like these specific things.

Lets say someone makes a GMO - and they spent hundreds of millions on R&D - how would you suggest they protect this asset, aside from patents (which expire in 10 years, I think it is, by the way).

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Just to be clear, this is a valid position to hold but 1) it's not the typical complaint and 2) It's a purely ideological position.

Again, a great comparison here are libertarian climate change deniers: the core of their objection is typically that they don't believe the government should intervene in private businesses. This is an ideological position that isn't necessarily "true" or "false." It's just a belief or value.

I think it's more valid if your opposition exclusively remains towards corporations like Monsanto.

GMOs are just GMOs - if you are making that argument (which I'm incredibly sympathetic towards) you are making a argument against how GMOs are implemented in the political economy not what they are inherently.

Opiate

Since people tackle the other two points, let me tackle the first. I'm assuming you are okay with GMOs, just don't like these specific things.

Lets say someone makes a GMO - and they spent hundreds of millions on R&D - how would you suggest they protect this asset, aside from patents (which expire in 10 years, I think it is, by the way).

Without speaking for Lonely1, I know people who would rather have the government or a non-profit do it, even if this process proves profoundly less efficient and effective, just so that the information can be available in the public domain.

That is, they instinctively dislike the notion that a company can own patents on DNA, and would be willing to accept alternatives even if those alternatives were proven to be less effective and more costly.

Yoritomo

And here is a published article (so i guess it must be true) that states that the intelligence difference between black and white people is rapidly decreasing. So clearly black people are evolving at a faster rate than white people!

Also, a working class kid being adopted by a middle-class family sees a 12 to 18 point increase in its intelligence, so clearly middle-class people know this one weird trick to change your genes!

I'd also say that based on rapid increases every decade that require recalibration of IQ tests themselves the issue is purely cultural/social stratification and more accurately reflects haves vs have nots than white vs black.

Opiate

I think it's more valid if your opposition exclusively remains towards corporations like Monsanto.

Okay, again, how is Monsanto uniquely abhorrent as a company? It has been my experience through investigation (significant thanks to Kinitari for encouraging me to dig) that Monsanto has become a boogeyman for the anti-GMO cause without any real merit. By making Monsanto look bad, people can say, "Well, it's not just my personal beliefs. Look at how evil Monsanto is!"

Or maybe I'm wrong. Maybe Monsanto really is particularly evil. Can you provide evidence to show that to be the case?

I have little/no issue with making crops more resistant to plagues, or even designing a total new organism for the terraformation of Mars. I don't like that the new super-humans are going to be the sons of the Kochs, Kardashians, Abramovichs of the world.

Oh, sure, but stopping GMO crops won't do much to prevent the elites from attempting that.

Leunam

There is mercury in the flu shot.

There was at one point. But it was ethyl mercury, not elemental, which isn't enough of a distinction for some people. Thimerosal is no longer used as a preservative purely because of public fears, and it's never been shown to cause problems.

I think stoner utopianism would fall under this category. You know, when somebody gets REALLY into weed and considers it a cure for all ills and will talk your ear off about how hemp is a wonder-plant that can be used to solve all the world's resource shortages.

tokkun

I know. I just don't know what should be done about it, in practice. What would you suggest? This particular company hired around 400 or 500 testers (as temp workers, naturally) for the grading season for each shift (morning and evening), and there were constantly increasing production goals (I started at 150 / hour on one question and ended up at well over 900 / hour by the time we finished it, and though I was by far an outlier it was pretty normal for people's hourly quotas to double or triple.

So what would you suggest they do differently?

That is going to vary on a case-by-case basis. If we are talking about using standardized tests as a replacement for individualized tests, in theory you ought to be able to reallocate whatever grading resources were going to be used to score the individualized tests. Now with current policies, that would be a problem, since individualized tests are usually graded by the person teaching the class and tying test scores to compensation for those teachers creates an incentive for them to cheat on the grading. But the basic principle still makes sense - if the standardized tests being used as a replacement, there should be resources being freed up that could in some way be shuffled around so that they could be applied to grading the standardized exams.

If, on the other hand, the standardized tests are being used in addition to the individualized exams, then you do have a problem of supplying additional resources to grade them and there's not really any easy answer to that. You either pay for the resources you need, or you modify the test so it requires fewer resources. That is, after all, why the bulk of these exams are multiple choice. But it's not that hard to envision solving this problem with technology. The very simplified scoring rubric you described early could certainly be automated, and I imagine that we already have the capability to do more sophisticated computer-based scoring. Even if we are not confident enough in completely relying on computer systems, we could do computer pre-scoring with manual adjustments afterward.

The IQ difference between white and black people. It doesn't fit peoples worldview so they reject it.

http://psychology.uwo.ca/faculty/rushtonpdfs/PPPL1.pdf

It speaks to a moralistic fallacy, meaning that just because something should be a certain way - there is then a real desire to claim that that's the way things actually are despite the scientific evidence. Basically, to say “everybody should be treated equally, because there are no genetic differences between black and white that matter” sounds really fucking awesome, but is ultimately a fallacy.

Of course, a little cognitive dissonance in these cases is a positive - as who really wants to get on the soapbox proclaiming genetic superiority?

That is going to vary on a case-by-case basis. If we are talking about using standardized tests as a replacement for individualized tests, in theory you ought to be able to reallocate whatever grading resources were going to be used to score the individualized tests. Now with current policies, that would be a problem, since individualized tests are usually graded by the person teaching the class and tying test scores to compensation for those teachers creates an incentive for them to cheat on the grading. But the basic principle still makes sense - if the standardized tests being used as a replacement, there should be resources being freed up that could in some way be shuffled around so that they could be applied to grading the standardized exams.

If, on the other hand, the standardized tests are being used in addition to the individualized exams, then you do have a problem of supplying additional resources to grade them and there's not really any easy answer to that. You either pay for the resources you need, or you modify the test so it requires fewer resources. That is, after all, why the bulk of these exams are multiple choice. But it's not that hard to envision solving this problem with technology. The very simplified scoring rubric you described early could certainly be automated, and I imagine that we already have the capability to do more sophisticated computer-based scoring. Even if we are not confident enough in completely relying on computer systems, we could do computer pre-scoring with manual adjustments afterward.

Wait, wait. Are you proposing the whole "standardized tests to determine if teachers are good" nonsense again? Because this will cause issues regardless and it's not just that NCLB did things badly (Which it did). It also basically allows people to completely ignore many structural and societal issues because all the focus is on how well teachers make kids perform, however the hell that's supposed to work.

Ethelwulf

Okay, again, how is Monsanto unique as a company? It has been my experience through investigation (significant thanks to Kinitari for encouraging me to dig) that Monsanto has become a boogeyman without any real merit.

By making Monsanto look bad, people can say, "Well, it's not just my personal values. Look at how evil Monsanto is!" It's similar to how many conservatives will constantly harp on all the bad/evil/incompetent things the government has done in order to make the government look bad.

Or maybe I'm wrong. Maybe Monsanto really is particularly evil. Can you provide evidence to show that to be the case?

Not sure if a evil corporation but transgenic maize became a real problem in Mexico. Take this for example:

From FoodTank
In 2001, US-based researchers discovered the presence of transgenic traits in native maize varieties in the southern state of Oaxaca (southern Mexican state). A formal citizen complaint brought anexhaustive study by the environmental commission set up by the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA). The researchers acknowledged that “gene flow” had occurred, warned, as other studies did, of more widespread contamination, and called for precautionary policies, including restrictions on imports from the United States.

This is about protecting culinary endemic tradition and endemic gene diversity rather than just saying 'GMO's are bad'. It's fare more complicated than what it looks like. Further, as far as I'm concerned, because Monsanto's genes are patented, who would own the maize if your stock is contaminated? These are questions that are not answered entirely.

It speaks to a moralistic fallacy, meaning that just because something should be a certain way - there is then a real desire to claim that that's the way things actually are despite the scientific evidence. Basically, to say “everybody should be treated equally, because there are no genetic differences between black and white that matter” sounds really fucking awesome, but is ultimately a fallacy.

Of course, a little cognitive dissonance in these cases is a positive - as who really wants to get on the soapbox proclaiming genetic superiority?

Or, you know, we might say "Sure, there are differences, but treating IQ as some universal and all-telling RPG stat value is absolutely ridiculous." because that seems to be how people want to treat it. In fact, it's a pretty awful number and it shouldn't be used for much of anything. I know there are multiple ways and testing methods that give an IQ, but the situations where I've gotten a value were when I took various cognitive test batteries looking for strengths and weaknesses. Sure, they gave an IQ at the end too, but that's probably the least important result from the entire thing. People are different, with their own strengths and weaknesses. Only a fool limits their view to things that they happen to seem strong at and consider themselves superior. I'm not even going to get into all the other sorts of issues using IQ as some magical number creates.

Opiate

Not sure if a evil corporation but transgenic maize became a real problem in Mexico. Take this for example:

From FoodTank

This is about protecting culinary endemic tradition and endemic gene diversity rather than just saying 'GMO's are bad'. It's fare more complicated than what it looks like. Further, as far as I'm concerned, because Monsanto's genes are patented, who would own the maize if your stock is contaminated? These are questions that are not answered entirely.

I'm not sure how this is particular to Monsanto as a company, or even to companies working on GMOs generally. This would be a problem for GMOs whether they were created by governments or non-profits or by corporations.

Not that the problem isn't real, mind you. It's something worth considering. But it's sort of like saying "if we let Space X build space shuttles, their shuttles may be faulty and people might die." Yes, they may; they also may die if other companies build them, or if our government builds them, or if the Russian government builds them. It's a problem, but it's not particular to Space X nor is it particularly to a capitalist approach.

Okay, again, how is Monsanto uniquely abhorrent as a company? It has been my experience through investigation (significant thanks to Kinitari for encouraging me to dig) that Monsanto has become a boogeyman for the anti-GMO cause without any real merit. By making Monsanto look bad, people can say, "Well, it's not just my personal beliefs. Look at how evil Monsanto is!"

Monsanto (and other biotech firms) are evil not because their genetically-engineered seeds are inherently unhealthy, but because their corruptly obtained patents are used to back litigation forcing non-participating farmers to either buy their product or go bankrupt. It's anti-competitive and potentially harmful in the way of biodiversity.

I would just Google Organic Seed Growers and Trade Association et al v. Monsanto.

tokkun

Wait, wait. Are you proposing the whole "standardized tests to determine if teachers are good" nonsense again? Because this will cause issues regardless and it's not just that NCLB did things badly (Which it did). It also basically allows people to completely ignore many structural and societal issues because all the focus is on how well teachers make kids perform, however the hell that's supposed to work.

No. If you read my posts in this thread on the topic that ought to be pretty clear.

genjiZERO

My problem with the whole GMO debate is that the ethics of big agro and the environmental impact too often is overlooked or dismissed. I agree that GMOs themselves are not a problem, but it's the baggage that comes with it that very well may be.

Monsanto (and other biotech firms) are evil not because their genetically-engineered seeds are inherently unhealthy, but because their corruptly obtained patents are used to back litigation forcing non-participating farmers to either buy their product or go bankrupt. It's anti-competitive and potentially harmful in the way of biodiversity.

I would just Google Organic Seed Growers and Trade Association et al v. Monsanto.

Exactly. This is what the debate should be about.

I'm not sure how this is particular to Monsanto as a company, or even to companies working on GMOs generally. This would be a problem for GMOs whether they were created by governments or non-profits or by corporations.

Not that the problem isn't real, mind you. It's something worth considering. But it's sort of like saying "if we let Space X build space shuttles, their shuttles may be faulty and people might die." Yes, they may; they also may die if other companies build them, or if our government builds them, or if the Russian government builds them. It's a problem, but it's not particular to Space X nor is it particularly to a capitalist approach.

If you acknowledge that Monsanto is a "hard capitalist" company, isn't it potentially problematic that they control a large portion of our food source? Do you really want an organization whose sole motivation is profit having that much impact on your diet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom