• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Grimrock - April 11th PC release [Mac/iOS later]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minsc

Gold Member
From the Grimrock forums:

Heads up!

Due to popular request if you preorder or have already preordered the game directly from us, in addition to the steam key you will get access to the standalone installer when the game is released on April 11th. You can get the installer on April 11th from the download page link that is mailed to you when you made the pre-order, so make sure you hold on to the mail if you want to use the standalone version!

DRM free copy + Steam key! Also, I believe the achievements in this game are designed to extend unique challenges, so it is a disappointment they didn't implement them outside of Steam (afaik) for people who want to order on GOG:

In bigger news we have implemented 40 achievements, some of them pretty challenging to unlock.

My first run through the game was about 10 hours and I knew all the solutions to puzzles. Some testers have reported play through times much longer than that. If you go with the Old School Mode (automap disabled) and explore every nook and cranny playtime will be longer. On top of that, we have plenty of secrets, achievements, different party builds and difficulty levels to try after finishing the game.

Sounds to me like direct is the way to go this time, the cheevos could add quite a bit of interesting replay mechanics.

Eusis

It seems like the big advantage for going to GOG MIGHT be the fact you can redownload the extras whenever you feel like it, and even then it may be covered for all I know.

And yeah, I can be disdainful of Achievements at times but that's just exasperation with the mindset some have and how some games really shouldn't have them. This seems like the kind of game where they'd make some sense and offer extra value in regards to adding extra goals to pursue.

Mimir

Great news! I was going back and forth on whether to buy it from gog.com or directly from the developer; this makes that a very easy decision.

Aeana

I preordered from them. Sad that the graph paper included won't look very good printed from my printer. Would be nice to get it printed well.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
From the Grimrock forums:

DRM free copy + Steam key! Also, I believe the achievements in this game are designed to extend unique challenges, so it is a disappointment they didn't implement them outside of Steam (afaik) for people who want to order on GOG:

Sounds to me like direct is the way to go this time, the cheevos could add quite a bit of interesting replay mechanics.

Ah, damn. I may have to go direct.

Two of the classics. I liked them more than EoB series, they were more "casual" but still very, very hardcore. Graphics are way nicer than those in EoB. Puzzles are easier as well.
In what terrifying universe is Lands of Lore 2 a classic?

And I disagree on your M&M ranking, IMO 7 is a strong refinement over 6. 7>6>>8>>>>9. Both are worth playing, though, along with 4+5.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

And I disagree on your M&M ranking, IMO 7 is a strong refinement over 6. 7>6>>8>>>>9. Both are worth playing, though, along with 4+5.

I agree with all of this, though I still haven't gotten the nerve to try M&M 9.

I hadn't heard of this game before clicking the thread 5 minutes ago. It is now preordered.

And if I like it, the iOS version will follow.

So only those four races are confirmed then? Not expecting Wizardry 8 levels of abundance but still...

chargen1.jpg

Teknoman

I hadn't heard of this game before clicking the thread 5 minutes ago. It is now preordered.

And if I like it, the iOS version will follow.

lol you too? Also this may seem trivial to most...but what is the soundtrack like? Are they aiming for a specific feel/or with battle encounter music, or is it mostly atmospheric/ambient noises?

moozoom

Game looks interesting, but the character design is meh.
I guess Etrian odyssey spoiled me with its fantastic artworks and art direction... maybe I'll get it on ipad later on.

SparkTR

I guess Etrian odyssey spoiled me with its fantastic artworks and art direction... maybe I'll get it on ipad later on.

It's going for the same high fantasy aesthetics of those classic dungeon crawlers, except with infinite more graphical detail. I love it.

Bento

While I agree that the art design could be better (just look at The Dark Spire omfgomfgomfg!) I do think it's nice to see a new Dungeon Crawler with a non-anime aesthetic, there's just not that many of them aside from the aforementioned The Dark Spire and I don't mind a little variety in my dungeon crawler genre.
Get out :I

Eusis

We've got room for both styles of aesthetics, we get western developed stuff like this, while Atlus keeps making Etrian Odyssey games which have my favorite cutesy style for these games.

Although, I think I'd like to see From-style aesthetics, but I think that's something hard to grasp that can only be attained BY having dark fantasy filtered through a Japanese perspective, even when it's not consciously Japanese styled.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Just got the preorder direct from the developer. Hard to argue with both a DRM free installer AND a steamkey AND all the cool preorder goodies.

I also have the week this game comes out off. Gonna dive deep. =)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

On the contrary, I love this one much more with art because it's not shitty animu that plagued the genre post Wizardry.

I miss Wizardry 8, I hope this one refuels that.

Someone's salty!

On the contrary, I love this one much more with art because it's not shitty animu that plagued the genre post Wizardry.

I don't think it's too much to wish for a modern game that takes the broad strokes of the low-fantasy, down-and-dirty dungeon aesthetic and executes it with some of the imaginativeness, elegance, and style of the best parts of other RPGs (including, say, the stratum concept art from EO) while avoiding some of the embarrassment and off-key elements of the same (including, say, the more extreme parts of the character art from EO.) Grimrock seems pretty journeymanlike on this score to me -- the art is perfectly functional but entirely lacking in distinction.

All that said, preordering this and looking forward to it quite a bit.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I don't think it's too much to wish for a modern game that takes the broad strokes of the low-fantasy, down-and-dirty dungeon aesthetic and executes it with some of the imaginativeness, elegance, and style of the best parts of other RPGs (including, say, the stratum concept art from EO) while avoiding some of the embarrassment and off-key elements of the same (including, say, the more extreme parts of the character art from EO.) Grimrock seems pretty journeymanlike on this score to me -- the art is perfectly functional but entirely lacking in distinction.

I'm just happy that for once, the first person dungeon crawling RPG doesn't have moe artstyle or that annoying Class of Heroes bullshit art, evoking that of Wizardry 8's.

Lands of Lore 1 undeniably is. LoL2 not that much, LoL3 even less (not at ALL)... even though I loved part 3.

World of Xeen is the pinnacle of M&M series for me but sometimes during some days I can put M&M6 over it. It depends on my mood.

7 is just really bad. It really soured me after the perfection that was Mandate of Heaven. I hated even the box art for it.

I were to rank all the M&M RPG titles:

M&M6 >= M&M4+5 > M&M3 > M&M8 > M&M2> M&M7 > M&M9 > M&M1

There was also a M&M title made on the M&M3-4-5 engine called Swords of Xeen. It reuses all assets and is a fun romp. I don't think it was released in retail though. Only in eastern Europe maybe?

Eusis

I'm just happy that for once, the first person dungeon crawling RPG doesn't have moe artstyle or that annoying Class of Heroes bullshit art, evoking that of Wizardry 8's.
Actually, now that I've seen the portrait options for this there's one angle of EO's that I miss here: 50/50 gender split for portraits. I like to keep my parties a balance of both, and I see only ONE human female there. Not a serious issue, especially if this is friendly towards bringing in your own, but it'd be nice if the options where there innately.

DiscoJer

It's the first project from an indie company apparently consisting of 4 people, being sold for $15 ($12 if you pre-order).

Is it really fair to expect production values better than full retail games from Japan like EO or even CoH? Or even the old Western games before the genre went belly up here?

Eusis

Is it really fair to expect production values better than full retail games from Japan like EO or even CoH? Or even the old Western games before the genre went belly up here?
Given that this is about static pictures I don't think it's TOO unreasonable. But it's more or less moot if it has the capability to import pictures of your choice (or if they added more since the picture I saw), which I'm actually kind of expecting already is there or will end up one of the first things patched in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom