• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Korra Book 3: Change |OT| SCHEDULEBENDING

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeytj

Banned
That podcast is great, listening to it right now.

Anyway, the hype for the finale is getting intense thanks to reviewers who already saw the finale:

tumblr_nakryjp8YC1t38a1oo3_500.jpg

And even Sifu Kisu:

tumblr_nakryjp8YC1t38a1oo1_500.jpg

Quotes from the cast and creators about it:

tumblr_nakryjp8YC1t38a1oo2_500.jpg

:O

So maybe Tenzin or someone else will die in the finale. I guess that if they kill Tenzin they'll have Jinora displaying her airbending skills, and taking over the reconstruction/teaching of the air nomads.

Veelk

Banned
I've been lied to before....but I'm excited to see the ending here, all the same.

I understand the joke that GRRM kills big characters, but I feel like people need to read the other three books as well where he has lost a bit of his guts.

He kills plenty of important characters in those as well,
just not the PoV characters.
Besides, Tenzin is the Obiwan, you don't even need to be GRRM to slaughter him, he should have died around season 1 if we're going by conventional tropes.

Flandy

but, comparing it to ATLA's S2? i'm really impressed but cautious, for me nothing beats that whole season, including the finale...

And i'm here really hoping they planned both seasons and the Red Lotus conflict continues on S4...

They're comparing it to Book 2 of Korra thought, aren't they?

Laieon

So what is the general consensus on this show?

Apparently season 2 was bad, but into season 1 I'm enjoying it so far.

I thought season 2 was significantly better than season 1, and season 3 is better than both. I didn't like all the pro-bending stuff in season 1.

Season 2 has the best episodes so far though (The Beginning Part 1 and Part 2)

Magwik

Banned
So what is the general consensus on this show?

Apparently season 2 was bad, but into season 1 I'm enjoying it so far.

Season 1 is good but most tend to agree it declines near the finale.
Season 2 is ... judge for yourself
Season 3 is fantastic.

Joeytj

Banned
A cool reveal from the Nerdist Writer's Panel Podcast interview with Bryan and Mike about Avatar, Korra, etc.

Before Korra, they handed over a treatment for another show based on the Avatar universe ( I think this was mentioned before, somewhere else), but Nick didn't do anything with it, so they "retracted" that idea. But they make it sound like it's more of a spinoff and not another story about the avatar. They still have that story for the future.

A cool reveal from the Nerdist Writer's Panel Podcast interview with Bryan and Mike about Avatar, Korra, etc.

Before Korra, they handed over a treatment for another show based on the Avatar universe ( I think this was mentioned before, somewhere else), but Nick didn't do anything with it, so they "retracted" that idea. But they make it sound like it's more of a spinoff and not another story about the avatar. They still have that story for the future.

With how this season was handled by Nick, let's hope any future projects are published elsewhere.

rexor0717

I'd love a story that just utilizes the world they've created without focusing on the avatar. There is so much to be explored, I know I'll always show up for some Avatar-Universe.

Joeytj

Banned
Season 1 is good but most tend to agree it declines near the finale.
Season 2 is ... judge for yourself
Season 3 is fantastic.

Yeah, I'm kind of surprised how many people that are just starting to binge watch LOK go through Book 2 and like/love it. Two friends (who I had no idea where into The Last Airbender) suddenly told me they were watching Book 2 for the first time a couple of weeks ago, before heading into Book 3. They thought it was awesome.

Hu, go figure.

And Book 2 is selling strong on Amazon and Google Play, along with Book 1, which is getting a lot of new traction. Maybe the buzz around Book 3 is making people get back into LOK or introducing them to the Avatarverse.

EDIT:
With how this season was handled by Nick, let's hope any future projects are published elsewhere.

They did hint that Nick doesn't have the story. Could be that they simply handed over a binder with text of the basic premise and artwork for the show and later just took it back. Maybe if Nick doesn't do anything with the Avatarverse in the future, they might simply rewrite that spinoff into a totally new series for another network.

Book 1 and 2 were awful. Same formula: They start off awesome and then go on horrible nosedives towards the end. Its usually the ending that sours the whole thing and makes the bad taste linger for so long.

I loved all of S3 so far, and the hype for the finale is really getting to me. I am so excited plz dont let me down ;_;

Joeytj

Banned
they have a fricking dragon!
just fly to the temple

Zuko bailed on them and instead went back to the Fire Nation to "protect" his daughter. It's just an excuse to have less characters in the final battle I guess, and save Zuko for Book 4.

Yeah, I'm kind of surprised how many people that are just starting to binge watch LOK go through Book 2 and like/love it. Two friends (who I had no idea where into The Last Airbender) suddenly told me they were watching Book 2 for the first time a couple of weeks ago, before heading into Book 3. They thought it was awesome.

Hu, go figure.

Yeah me too. I've seen posts on the internet of people saying they're starting to watch Korra (or catchin up or whatever) and those people seem to enjoy season 2 fine.

I definitely enjoyed it a lot, though I understand all of the criticisms. I feel like I enjoy this show for more superficial reasons lol.

Hamlet

Hu, go figure.

And Book 2 is selling strong on Amazon and Google Play, along with Book 1, which is getting a lot of new traction. Maybe the buzz around Book 3 is making people get back into LOK or introducing them to the Avatarverse.
The fact that they are binge watching book 2 certainly helps because if you happen to watch a bad episode you can quickly go onto the next episode. Where those who are watching it as it airs are left to mull for a week over the episode.

cLOUDo

Zuko bailed on them and instead went back to the Fire Nation to "protect" his daughter. It's just an excuse to have less characters in the final battle I guess, and save Zuko for Book 4.

zuko has been so useless this season
to this point is just fanservice

I heard that part differently. They were talking about how they were going to pitch a more Nickelodeon style show (Bryan described it as "Peanuts meets FLCL") but they pitched Avatar instead because Nickelodeon was actually looking for fantasy material to ride Harry Potter/Lord of the Rings wave. They developed Avatar in only a month before pitching it.

They said that after Korra they are planning to return to the Avatar universe, but they're going to take a break for a while before that.

Edit: I realize now that you were talking about something else, so I apologize for the correction.

DominoKid

I heard that part differently. They were talking about how they were going to pitch a more Nickelodeon style show (Bryan described it as "Peanuts meets FLCL") but they pitched Avatar instead because Nickelodeon was actually looking for fantasy material to ride Harry Potter/Lord of the Rings wave. They developed Avatar in only a month before pitching it.

They said that after Korra they are planning to return to the Avatar universe, but they're going to take a break for a while before that.

hell will Nick even let them?

also i want to see that Peanuts meets FLCL type of show.

Toa TAK

Banned
Jeremy Zuckerman does such a fantastic job with the score. Only wish Nick would just go and release the soundtracks already for ATLA and Book 2.

Yeah, what's up with that? I did a quick look up on iTunes and only book 1 is there. Did the score not make enough money for a second soundtrack?

Joeytj

Banned
Yeah me too. I've seen posts on the internet of people saying they're starting to watch Korra (or catchin up or whatever) and those people seem to enjoy season 2 fine.

I definitely enjoyed it a lot, though I understand all of the criticisms. I feel like I enjoy this show for more superficial reasons lol.

Haha, yeah. I'm a pretty dual person on many aspects, and also enjoy Avatar for both the "superficial" and "deeper" reasons. I absolutely love and appreciate immensely the humor, story and heart of ATLA, but also the music, animation, fighting and setting of LOK, even if the "deeper" aspects of it are lacking. And to me, one isn't more "worthy" of my respect than the other.

Listen to the Nerdist podcast, it's very insightful in regards to Mike and Bryan's thinking and approach to both shows.

Korra is definitely more Bryan's creation in some ways, and even says that Korra is more like him. They talk pretty extensively about the criticism of Korra and Book 2, stressing the fact that they purposefully made Korra get even worse when it comes to her attitude before bringing her back up.

They also talk about how Nick asks relatively little of them.

Oh, and they let loose on the movie. They call it the "The Catastrophe." "The Movie That Shall Not Be Named." "It's a long horrible story..." when asked by the moderator about it. It's the most they've talked about the movie since it's release, I think. "It was a wasted opportunity", the only thing you can say about it. Woah. The moderator sounds speechless hahaha.

The movie's failure was one of the main reasons why they preferred to take on Book 1 of Korra all by themselves.

Joeytj

Banned
The fact that they are binge watching book 2 certainly helps because if you happen to watch a bad episode you can quickly go onto the next episode. Where those who are watching it as it airs are left to mull for a week over the episode.

Yeah, I'm guessing that too is what is happening. We hardcore fans had built up huge expectations for it, and then discussed and got hyped every week before and after episodes air.

If you binge watch it, you really are just left with the general feeling of it and... I guess it's overall pretty good ?

zulux21

Book 1 and 2 were awful. Same formula: They start off awesome and then go on horrible nosedives towards the end. Its usually the ending that sours the whole thing and makes the bad taste linger for so long.

I loved all of S3 so far, and the hype for the finale is really getting to me. I am so excited plz dont let me down ;_;

did you watch the same book 2 I did o_O
book 2 started off like crap, then had an awesome middle (where there is no korra :p), and then was okish for the rest of it (with a number of stupid moments)

I mean they threw out any sort of character growth from the first season to start off with season 2 and seemed to aim to make korra the least likable main character ever (likely so when we got korra 2.0 she would be just that much better)

Sounds good although comparing it to Season 2 ending is somewhat disheartening. Hype mode on.

All they're saying is it doesn't have quite of a supernatural bang (which season 2 did regardless of quality) and that the emotional stakes might be higher. Those aren't directly indicative of quality. It's not like they're saying "its as good as book 2's finale!"

Haha, yeah. I'm a pretty dual person on many aspects, and also enjoy Avatar for both the "superficial" and "deeper" reasons. I absolutely love and appreciate immensely the humor, story and heart of ATLA, but also the music, animation, fighting and setting of LOK, even if the "deeper" aspects of it are lacking. And to me, one isn't more "worthy" of my respect than the other.

Listen to the Nerdist podcast, it's very insightful in regards to Mike and Bryan's thinking and approach to both shows.

Korra is definitely more Bryan's creation in some ways, and even says that Korra is more like him. They talk pretty extensively about the criticism of Korra and Book 2, stressing the fact that they purposefully made Korra get even worse when it comes to her attitude before bringing her back up.

They also talk about how Nick asks relatively little of them.

Oh, and they let loose on the movie. They call it the "The Catastrophe." "The Movie That Shall Not Be Named." "It's a long horrible story..." when asked by the moderator about it. It's the most they've talked about the movie since it's release, I think. "It was a wasted opportunity", the only thing you can say about it. Woah. The moderator sounds speechless hahaha.

The movie's failure was one of the main reasons why they preferred to take on Book 1 of Korra all by themselves.

Already an hour and 7 minutes in

Astral Dog

Where are the White Lotus? one would think that with Zaheer escaping they would be helping the Avatar to capture him, they should know about Zaheer and Xai Bau too, what are they,exactly?

Hamlet

Yeah, what's up with that? I did a quick look up on iTunes and only book 1 is there. Did the score not make enough money for a second soundtrack?

Yeah Nicks being pretty silent on that front they haven't even released an OST for ATLA yet. Jeremy Zuckerman did say this earlier this year.

"The Korra B1 soundtrack has sold really well *for the soundtrack genre* but we need to move a lot more to get a B2..."

https://twitter.com/JeremyZuckerman/statuses/420986436650008576

Joeytj

Banned
Woah, big reveal about the leak in the podcast. They say that Nick didn't give a damn and Book 3's leaks and the main reason it was released a week after announcing it was because they couldn't find a place in the schedule later on. Either it was released now in the summer or not until next year.

They weren't accidentally leaked by Nick Mexico either, those episodes. They were stolen from the servers. They even backtrack to problems with ATLA's scheduling, saying that they were baffled by the network's reluctance to show them in order.

Overall, they say Nick cares about the series but they have a hard time finding a place for it, even though they know it is extremely popular.

Also they laugh-off the idea that Korra was pulled from TV because the content got more "mature" or dark (They directly cite the theory about Tenzin dying).

And the show does "incredibly" well on iTunes. They are hoping it's put back on there as soon as possible.

Finally, although they love the Avatarverse, and believe it's "gravity will pull" them back to it in the future, they want to take a break from it after Korra.

Magwik

Banned
Woah, big reveal about the leak in the podcast. They say that Nick didn't give a damn and Book 3's leaks and the main reason it was released a week after announcing it was because they couldn't find a place in the schedule later on. Either it was released now in the summer or not until next year.

They weren't accidentally leaked by Nick Mexico either, those episodes. They were stolen from the servers. They even backtrack to problems with ATLA's scheduling, saying that they were baffled by the network's reluctance to show them in order.

Overall, they say Nick cares about the series but they have a hard time finding a place for it, even though they know it is extremely popular.

Did they just leave them on an open server or something?

Mariolee

Wait....the avatar bet was for the end of this episode causing Tenzin to die right? Not for him to die by the end of the finale? I just...I have a bad feeling about my bet now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom