• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Korra Book 3: Change |OT| SCHEDULEBENDING

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for letting me know, I was actively searching for one even this morning for you. Was kind of stressing out. So happy to hear you got one. :D I'll make sure to hook you up with a $10 PSN or E-Shop code in October. I do giveaways on here for free, but I'll get an extra one to hook ya up.
Have I ever mentioned how much I love you?

I love you.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
tumblr_nbsk5lcCmy1rogcuio1_1280.jpg

I liked Korra's original character design better

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Since this is a season 3 thread, I'm gonna assume it's safe to talk about Season 2 stuff without spoilers.

I haven't seen much of season 2, but I did see the videos on the origin of the first Avatar. So apparently the power of bending was bestowed upon humans by the lion turtles? Um..what? We've had an episode whose entire plot was about the origin of fire bending, which was supposed to be some dragons or some shit. Hell, we had a (fantastic) 3 part season finale that explained in detail the origin of water bending. In both cases, no one mentioned lion turtles at all.

Did I miss something?

Gotchaye

Since this is a season 3 thread, I'm gonna assume it's safe to talk about Season 2 stuff without spoilers.

I haven't seen much of season 2, but I did see the videos on the origin of the first Avatar. So apparently the power of bending was bestowed upon humans by the lion turtles? Um..what? We've had an episode whose entire plot was about the origin of fire bending, which was supposed to be some dragons or some shit. Hell, we had a (fantastic) 3 part season finale that explained in detail the origin of water bending. In both cases, no one mentioned lion turtles at all.

Did I miss something?

Dragons are the larval stage of lion turtles. Also the moon is just a huge pile of lion turtles.

I'm not sure it really does hold together very well. Probably the best way to reconcile it is that the lion turtles gave humans the capacity for bending, and then they learned how to do it (presumably sometime after the spirits left and all that) from the dragons, the moon, the badger-moles, and the sky bison. Maybe you need a Dark Ages where people forgot how to bend somewhere in there.

AniHawk

Did I miss something?

i think the way the two are meant to be massaged together is that the lion turtles gave humans the genetic ability for bending, and the dragons/moon etc became the teachers of how to master bending (for those who had the genetic ability).

Joeytj

Banned

Did I miss something?

Yes, you missed the part where the Lionturtles stopped giving humans bending after the creation of the Avatar. Afterwards, humans started learning bending from other sources. Fire=dragons, water=moon and ocean, earth=badgermoles and air=sky bison.

It's not that complicated.

VeeP

Did I miss something?

Did you watch the origin episode? Wan trains with the dragons. I think at one point some humans said they've never seen anyone fire bend like that before.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
i think the way the two are meant to be massaged together is that the lion turtles gave humans the genetic ability for bending, and the dragons/moon etc became the teachers of how to master bending (for those who had the genetic ability).

Dragons are the larval stage of lion turtles. Also the moon is just a huge pile of lion turtles.

I'm not sure it really does hold together very well. Probably the best way to reconcile it is that the lion turtles gave humans the capacity for bending, and then they learned how to do it (presumably sometime after the spirits left and all that) from the dragons, the moon, the badger-moles, and the sky bison. Maybe you need a Dark Ages where people forgot how to bend somewhere in there.

That sounds somewhat reasonable.

Did you watch the origin episode? Wan trains with the dragons. I think at one point some humans said they've never seen anyone fire bend like that before.

I don't remember seeing the dragons there. I know the other humans said that about him, but I thought that was just him practicing on his own for years.

Okay, so you have spirits and humans. Are lion turtles considered spirits too or are they their own separate entities?

Tuck

That sounds somewhat reasonable.

I don't remember seeing the dragons there. I know the other humans said that about him, but I thought that was just him practicing on his own for years.

Okay, so you have spirits and humans. Are lion turtles considered spirits too or are they their own separate entities?
As far as i know, Lion turtles aren't spirits.

As others have said, it appears that the writers meant for lion turtles to give humans the genetic ability to control the elements, but they learned how to actually bend and control the elements from dragons, the moon, etc.

Its a retcon, tbh. But I don't hate the explanation.

Edit: another explanation would be that humans didn't get to keep the bending power after harmonic convergence and had to relearn it after the lion turtles stopped letting them borrow it, but I don't think that's what was suggested in the origins episodes.

Sandfox

Where did Nick and Legend of Korra go Wrong? I have never seen a Children's Television Company Treat a show like this like crap since CN Cancelled Young Justice.

Nick and Cartoon Network treat all shows doing poorly in some way like that even if the initial issues are their fault.

Mononoke

Banned
Amazing video comparing Korra and Aang.More perspective on where we're heading in Book 4.

Amazing stuff. Really though, it only highlights why I liked Aang more as a main character. I'm not saying he's a better person/Avatar. Just that, I think it's a lot easier to empathize with someone that is thrust/forced into a situation that they can't handle. His character was really young, and the world was expecting him to save them. Aang had more doubt, and humility as a result, and therefore he comes off more flawed, with more struggles.

Korra actually has gone through more on paper, but I think her attitude and how she approaches her role kind of obscures that. Again, I'm not really comparing the two as people, or how they were as Avatar. I'm saying purely from a storytelling perspective, I think Aang's archetype was a lot more likable. It's a cool video though, because it really highlights the different types of character/plot elements they were going for with each series. Korra is someone that embraced her destiny, and yet the world rejected her. Aang is someone that was scared of his destiny, but the world needed him more than ever. It's a pretty cool way to handle the plot. I just think the former is a little bit more relateable than the latter. Then again, both are just variations of the Hero Journey. I guess I just preferred Aang's archetype a little more on a storytelling level.

The ways I saw it was that the Lion turtles gave humanity to power to bend. But they were all ignorant in it's use. It's like giving a sword to a regular guy and calling him a soldier. The animals were the ones that trained humanity to properly wield bending. So instead of being an idiot that swings a sword around, they became graceful masters of their craft.

Gotchaye

The ways I saw it was that the Lion turtles gave humanity to power to bend. But they were all ignorant in it's use. It's like giving a sword to a regular guy and calling him a soldier. The animals were the ones that trained humanity to properly wield bending. So instead of being an idiot that swings a sword around, they became graceful masters of their craft.

I think this kind of works, but it's pretty awkward - hence my Dark Ages suggestion. IIRC we see some pretty capable benders in Beginnings, even before people leave the Lion Turtles (I think the airbenders were flying around, for example). But I think the real problem is ATLA. There's really no indication that the waterbenders' origin story is about people who were already bending on, say, Katara's level learning how to do it even better by watching the moon. Like, surely no one thinks that the Northern Water Tribe actually knew about the chelonian origin of their powers and just didn't mention it, so at the very least people in ATLA think that the very first benders became benders by learning it from nature. The earthbenders' origin story is explicitly about the first two earthbenders, and it's hard to say that this is just myth given that there's an actual tomb and pictographs.

VeeP

Hamlet

haha oh geez

October 3rd? So soon.

It kinda hurts to watch season 2 though. I hope I make it on time!
Keep at it as it gets much better after the halfway mark.
The Beginnings part 1 & 2 are easily the highlight of Book 2.

Qusetion: Is book 4 really going full digital?

Yep every Friday a new episode is put up on Nick.com and its Nick app similar to how the second half of Book 3 was done. They'll also most likely have the episodes up on Hulu, Amazon and Google play again.
Itunes is still up in the air considering Book 3 still isn't on it.

Yep every Friday a new episode is put up on Nick.com and its Nick app similar to how the second half of Book 3 was done. They'll also most likely have the episodes up on Hulu, Amazon and Google play again.
Itunes is still up in the air considering Book 3 still isn't on it.
I see, looks like it's Hola + nick.com to me, since my amazon prime free trial expired.

So as a side note not on the season 4 topic. I was watching a few episodes from season 1 and does anyone feel like Bolin's character has been completely mishandled? He was actually very likable in season 1. He was actually funny because his humour was meshed with his inherent personality. He was jokes because his natural personality was amusing like in the noodle scene or when he would talk to Pabu. After season 1 it literally seemed like he had no purpose other than being a side earth bender. It's kind of sad honestly. Season 1 Bolin was awesome. The love triangle episode in season 1 basically highlights Bolin's worth to the series, be a joke when it comes to Korra and Mako's story.

Mononoke

Banned
If you squint your eyes, the new Korra haircut looks like they took Jinora's hair and swapped it on her head. lol

So as a side note not on the season 4 topic. I was watching a few episodes from season 1 and does anyone feel like Bolin's character has been completely mishandled? He was actually very likable in season 1. He was actually funny because his humour was meshed with his inherent personality. He was jokes because his natural personality was amusing like in the noodle scene or when he would talk to Pabu. After season 1 it literally seemed like he had no purpose other than being a side earth bender. It's kind of sad honestly. Season 1 Bolin was awesome. The love triangle episode in season 1 basically highlights Bolin's worth to the series, be a joke when it comes to Korra and Mako's story.

Yes, Bolin is easily one of the worst missteps in this series. I feel like Book 1: he was one of the better characters. He still needed to be fleshed out more, but he was pretty likable and probably had the biggest heart out of anyone on the show. Season 2: his movers plot dragged on too long, and he slowly started becoming a buffoon (he was always kind of clumsy/slow, but not THAT dumb). They also made him douchey with the fame getting to his head, and, his stuff with Ginger was cringe. He wasn't really ruined here, but definitely not used the way he should have been. Although he was redeemed in the end by saving the President and kicking ass in the finale. Book 3 he was just flat out obnoxious. All of his humor was really poorly timed, and irritating. He basically had been reduced to a dumb man child. His stuff with Opal was non stop cringe, and it never let up (even in the finale he was really bad).

Deep down, I still want to love Bolin. I like his character as a concept. And I still think, regardless of the direction they went with him, I like his core personality. But my god, they have dumbed him down to ridiculous levels over these three seasons. I'm still not happy about how they had Asami go back to Mako immediately after he broke up with Korra (I thought this was a really weak moment for the character). But really, Asami still hasn't been ruined. She's still awesome, she's just totally underused. So at least she hasn't been messed up like Bolin. Oddly, I think Mako probably had the most improvements. I know people still hate his guts, but I think he's had a big turn around from Book 1 (where he was a pretty boy douche/ w/ all his qualities tied to the romance plot).

Yes, Bolin is easily one of the worst missteps in this series. I feel like Book 1: he was one of the better characters. He still needed to be fleshed out more, but he was pretty likable and probably had the biggest heart out of anyone on the show. Season 2: his movers plot dragged on too long, and he slowly started becoming a buffoon (he was always kind of clumsy/slow, but not THAT dumb). They also made him douchey with the fame getting to his head, and, his stuff with Ginger was cringe. He wasn't really ruined here, but definitely not used the way he should have been. Although he was redeemed in the end by saving the President and kicking ass in the finale. Book 3 he was just flat out obnoxious. All of his humor was really poorly timed, and irritating. He basically had been reduced to a dumb man child. His stuff with Opal was non stop cringe, and it never let up (even in the finale he was really bad).

Deep down, I still want to love Bolin. I like his character as a concept. And I still think, regardless of the direction they went with him, I like his core personality. But my god, they have dumbed him down to ridiculous levels over these three seasons. I'm still not happy about how they had Asami go back to Mako immediately after he broke up with Korra (I thought this was a really weak moment for the character). But really, Asami still hasn't been ruined. She's still awesome, she's just totally underused. So at least she hasn't been messed up like Bolin. Oddly, I think Mako probably had the most improvements. I know people still hate his guts, but I think he's had a big turn around from Book 1 (where he was a pretty boy douche/ w/ all his qualities tied to the romance plot).

I understand why in season 1 Bolin wasn't fleshed out, with the format of the show it made sense since it was meant to just be a mini series one off thing. However, upon getting an extra mini season I feel they took it the wrong way. You touched on one of the reasons I loved Bolin in season 1. You could tell he had a big heart and it was always in the right place even if he made mistakes. I despise him in season 2 because they made him a complete doucher and he served no actual purpose to the main plot. Not even his presence was notable. Also, the way they made him with relationships onward was absurd. From his introduction he was shown to be a fairly desirable person with lots of fans. He was very direct about asking Korra out and he was genuine if not a little self conscious.

All of season 2 he is a massive loser. His relationships are shallow, he's thick headed. It's painful. I dunno why he fell for crazy water girl at the end for no reason or shallow mover star but it was dumb. Then season 3 he is even worse. Here is a girl that genuinely likes him and he's all herp derp not my type, let's have Mako the "KING" of relationships give me advice. On top of that he totally acts like an idiot to her which again was just very out of character compared to season 1. The entire thing is just sad, I have a thing for genuine characters but he honestly needs redemption. He had some glimpses in season 3 with his family but mostly just shitacular jokes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom