• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks | officially announced. THIS YEAR

Gomu Gomu

For the DS.

gdc-09-iwata-keynote-live-blog-900-am-wednesday-20090325102537220-000.jpg

From Iwata's GDC09 keynote:

Link has the ability to control/create enemies and make them fight enemies. Railroad mechanic is an extension of Phantom Hourglass boat system -- riding a rail and shooting cannons
This new DS title is tentatively named The Legend of Zelda; Spirit Tracks. It will be available this year."

From 1UP's live blog:
New Zelda looks better than my description probably makes it sound. Looks like a fairly traditional Zelda portable game, with puzzle dungeons and Phantom Hourglass-style touch mechanics. The train basically works like the boat in PH, running along the overworld (presumably on a rail defined by players). Enemy control mechanics look pretty nice -- link distracted a big Zora with a controlled shadow guard, then snuck around to hit it from behind.

IGN:
Iwata wants to satisfy longtime Nintendo loyalists. Nintendo DS game. New Zelda game. Link is riding in on a train. Wind Waker style. Awsomeness supreme. Link is able to direct a sidekick character, an armor-clad warrior, with the stylus. Fights huge crab-like boss. It's called The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks. Will be available later this year.
http://wii.ign.com/articles/965/965783p1.html

zelda8.jpg
zelda3.jpg

zelda7.jpg
zelda10.jpg

zelda1.jpg
zelda5.jpg

More Images: http://www.nintendo-difference.com/news16577-un-nouveau-zelda-sur-ds-update-.htm
http://media.ds.ign.com/media/143/14333936/imgs_1.html

Teaser Trailer

10:15
New Zelda looks better than my description probably makes it sound. Looks like a fairly traditional Zelda portable game, with puzzle dungeons and Phantom Hourglass-style touch mechanics. The train basically works like the boat in PH, running along the overworld (presumably on a rail defined by players). Enemy control mechanics look pretty nice -- link distracted a big Zora with a controlled shadow guard, then snuck around to hit it from behind.

Why does everyone think it's a bad idea? We haven't even seen it yet! The description says it's like the other games with a train instead of a boat. Works for me.

I'm not giving up hope. I want to play it.

Vorador

Banned
Legend of Zelda on rails? :p

I'm not really sure about this. I need more information before defining my position about this, but it doesn't look too hot :-/

Sage00

Once And Future Member
The Zelda games with the reactions like this are always the good ones (TP and PH had universal praise upon announcement, MM and WW mixed like this).

Definitely going to be great. :D

Tiktaalik

Sounds pretty alright to me. I don't know why Nintendo fans are against it. Not similar enough to Zelda: Link to the Past? We need new ideas in the Zelda franchise people!

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Vorador said:
Legend of Zelda on rails? :p

I'm not really sure about this. I need more information before defining my position about this, but it doesn't look too hot :-/
It is a regular Zelda game, but you ride around on a train instead of a boat.

Why does that sound so bad?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Phantom Hourglass-style touch mechanics

Where's the Vadernoooooo.gif when you need it?

Seriously--HUGE disappointment.

farnham

Banned
so we keep bitching on forums all day

omg twilight princess is so bad because its just like all the other zelda games

then nintendo finally tries something new and whats the response..?

LOL ITS NOT EVEN A ZELDA GAME BECAUSE IT INVOLVES TRAINS..

duckroll

Sounds fucking awesome! I loved PH, and this sounds like it has a lot of the cool mechanics I liked about PH, but more! And a train! FUCK YES! Controlling other characters and Link too? YAY! I can't wait! :D~~~~~~~~~~

jman2050

So after years of decrying TP for basically being more of the same, which came after years of decrying WW for being a huge departure, we're back to decrying Spirit Tracks for being different?

You Zelda fanboys piss me off sometimes.

kizmah

I don't mind another PH-type Zelda on my DS. And train instead of boat is totally fine.

Zelda Wii with huge emphasis on Wii Motion+ will be unvailed at E3.

duckroll

jman2050 said:
So after years of decrying TP for basically being more of the same, which came after years of decrying WW for being a huge departure, we're back to decrying Spirit Tracks for being different?

You Zelda fanboys piss me off sometimes.

Hey STFU! I'm a Zelda fanboy! :( :( :( :(

D-Pad

Interesting concept. I hope Tetra plays a bigger role this time than kidnapped damsel in distress.

Oh yeah. All aboard the HYPE TRAIN -- Link ON RAILS?! ...Troll -- Etc.

bottles

Sage00 said:
The Zelda games with the reactions like this are always the good ones (TP and PH had universal praise upon announcement, MM and WW mixed like this).

Definitely going to be great. :D

TP is an awesome Zelda.

jibblypop

Banned
I hope it's better than phantom hourglass. At first I thought that game was incredible based on the smooth gameplay... but when I realized the dungeons were timed and stealth based, I just turned it off and never touched it again.

Tiktaalik

I am actually amazed at all the "huge disappointment" comments? What the hell did you people want? Twilight Princess 1.5? Miyamoto coming out on stage with a shield waving a sword around?

Top Bottom