• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda Wii U Gameplay Demo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yamauchi

Banned
I'm a tad worried about the game being barren like many other users and overall last night I was underwhelmed with the footage. The Twilight Princess was somewhat barren, but it was not something I really realized until I heard others complaining about it.

As I come back to the video this morning, I'm really excited about the potential. And now as I see the parallels with the original NES title, I'm starting to get much more excited. Watching as they run through the forest almost gives me chills. I think this game could be a massive leap for the series, and for Nintendo.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I miss a brand new Zelda, it's hard to believe this industry only gets this kind of game every 4/5 years.

Jagsrock

Banned
they did it for Twilight Princess. Everything in between the dungeons/towns/etc was barren and boring. Great game, one of my favorites, but that was the big the flaw of the title. There's a reason people even have this concern, because it has been a problem in the past with certain 3D Zelda titles.

TP followed the same structure as Ocarina of time in the way the map was set up. It was also quite linear. This game is billed as an "open world" game with emphasis on exploration. Hyrule field was never really meant to be anything more than a field in TP. This time around is different the open field is not a means to an end any more as dungeons and secrets seem to be hidden within the expansive area instead of designated to the outskirtd of the map. Also dont forget ss. Even though the scope was smaller they did kind of dip there toes into creating more side quests and such in skyward sword along with weapon upgrade system, I'm sure they will expand on that premise here. Also don't forget the initial trailer. He said its quite peaceful now but that could change at any moment que giant monster. I'm sure there will be lots of surprising waiting in the vast fields this time around.

thefro

Zero²;141997795 said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMXD5DxbXog
OMGOMGOMG I thought he was kidding, but you can really listen to the battle song on the Japanese footage!!!! I cant!!..dsandjkawhjk

Yeah, everyone needs to watch the Japanese video since that's the closest we're going to get to direct footage.

You can actually hear all the sound effects which they dubbed over for the NOA English translation. They really should have provided direct audio to NOA of the game footage.

Grief.exe

I can understand the "it looks boring" comments when only talking about the footage shown. They didn't exactly blow the lid of the game. It was a another small amount of info shown for he sake of showcasing the scale of the game. For me personally it was fantastic to see but i'll agree it wasn't the most "exciting" thing.That said if you honestly believe they would finally go out and make a giant Zeglda world only to leave it barren then get ready to eat crow when the next trailer comes around. People said similar things about 3d world and that was even closer to release. It looks bland, all the levels look boring, what's with the cat suits, it's literally just 3d land ported etc.Then couple months before release epic trailer and everything changed.

The modern gamer is becoming exceedingly frustrating to deal with.

They have to be constantly entertained with new stimulus or they will become bored, yet the mechanics must be so extremely simple so they are not lost.

chadboban

Anyone else notice how fucking powerful arrows seem to be in this game? I mean this guy just goes flying when link hits him.

fkczrm.gif

Also really liking the new slow mo stuff they showed. It also confirms that what happened during the E3 reveal is possible in actual gameplay.

isnmbd.gif

Also I don't think gyro controls will be mandatory. You'll likely be able to aim with the right stick if you want to.

balgajo

My major problem is with ground textures and the way that engine is mapping rock textures(especially in terrains with high degree of verticalization)....those looked very ugly. But that's something I noticed back in E3 trailer...I really hope them to have time for these improvements

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
they did it for Twilight Princess. Everything in between the dungeons/towns/etc was barren and boring. Great game, one of my favorites, but that was the big the flaw of the title. There's a reason people even have this concern, because it has been a problem in the past with certain 3D Zelda titles.

We'll see what the final product looks like, but that's a fear of mine after seeing this video.
One thing I loved about Skyrim's world is that while traveling you would discover things. Be it a cave, landmark, or small cabin in the woods there were things to stumble across while making your way to your objective. These things could sometimes lead to more quests or gear. In my world that's a great thing, and something I hope to see in Zelda.

I don't want predictable, here's your points of interest with nothing in between. Skyward Sword's world was dull. Wind Waker's ocean was dull. I'm hoping this is the game to take Zelda's overworld to the next level.

Hopefully the more we see of the game, the better it is. We've still got plenty of development time left, so my fingers are crossed.

Btw the wild horses were a great touch. Let's have more of that stuff too.

The Argus

Looks amazing. So pumped to maybe be getting a Wii U this Christmas :) Something about this just seems so magical.

Horse AI...Red Dead Zelda. Want.

AdanVC

As always, everytime a new Nintendo game is revealed, posts are 25% hype and 75% dissapointment and "Nintendo is doomed 5 ever" "They dOn't know how to make gaims!" replies. It's been happening pretty much since the Internet became relevant for gaming news. Yeah, I definitely agree that there could have been a better way to showcase this game considering it's Nintendo's biggest and most respectable IP, but come on, even Reggie said fans were always asking him about the new Zelda so he actually listened to freaking fans for once and he got Miyamoto and Aonuma together so they can personally show a gameplay demo of Zelda exclusively for a Western webshow awards. I'm sure they didn't were supposed to show this footage in first place until a proper trailer with direct-feed footage was ready for a Nintendo Direct or something but they did. In my opinion I'm just happy that we get a chance to finally see gameplay of one of the most important games of this generation and looks really, really great. Tons of potential and I'm sure the game will no dissapoint at all.

Grief.exe

Anyone else notice how fucking powerful arrows seem to be in this game? I mean this guy just goes flying when link hits him.

Noting the explosion when they hit the target, I wonder if they are bomb arrows.

Also I don't think gyro controls will be mandatory. You'll likely be able to aim with the right stick if you want to.

Nice to show the pad has value, but controlling with the gyro looked terribly awkward.

phanphare

Banned
Nice to show the pad has value, but controlling with the gyro looked terribly awkward.

if they allow the sensitivity to be adjusted gyro controls would actually be preferable for me

right analog + gyro aiming is the way to go in my opinion, as long as I don't have to move my arms or wrists too much to be accurate

Gyro aiming in conjunction with dual sticks in Wind Waker is amazing, btw. Go try that out if you're worried. The bow in WW was never very good, especially since the arrow shot is slow and there's no aiming reticule, but it's much better with gyro aiming and Zelda U seems to fix those issues

Choomp

Banned
Hopefully there's still a lot of work to be done because the world looked kinda empty. Besides that looked beautiful, can't wait.

7threst

I don't really get what happens when Aonuma sets the beacon thru the zoom in-feature. Is it only possible to set beacons at certain landmarks you'll have to aim at or something? Because I didn't see an option to choose the exact location of the beacon, I only saw that tower he aimed at light up when he set the beacon.

NotLiquid

Agreed, really hope they're just optional. Looked really finicky in the footage.

Most likely optional just like all previous Zelda games. Miyamoto just really, really likes gyro.

I don't really get what happens when Aonuma sets the beacon thru the zoom in-feature. Is it only possible to set beacons at certain landmarks you'll have to aim at or something? Because I didn't see an option to choose the exact location of the beacon, I only saw that tower he aimed at light up.

I think they just chose to zoom in on it to show where they were trying to go and the distance they'd have to travel. Chances are you can set waypoints on the touch pad.

Fuchs

Can someone pls post all gifs in one post or maybe add them to the OP? Would be nice too see those glorious gifs all together.

I hope this is a continuation to Skyward. They bothered to literally explain the entire series and it really set the stage moving forward, and ZU's art style looks like a progression of Skyward's. I also loved the story cutscenes because the story was interesting and they were charmingly directed so I wouldn't mind more of that either.

I get that not everyone shares that sentiment but since they can't make everyone happy I will selfishly hope.

maxcriden

Couple questions:

A) the slomo mechanic must tie into the abilities of Link in this game, right? Any speculation about this?

B) there was another question I had. I really can't think of what it was now. Ah well.

I don't see why it wouldn't be the same as Wind Waker HD: right stick for big adjustments, gyro for fine tuning. That works great, in my opinion.

Cincaid

Well, the video made me want to buy a WiiU (which I'll probably do after Christmas during sales holiday in Sweden). I do hope they fill the somewhat empty void they call "open world" before release though, since it felt extremely barren and pointless from what they showed. An open world doesn't need to be huge just for the sake of being huge, they need to fill it with interesting stuff to do while travelling between point A and B. I trust that's what they'll do during these final months of development.

Also, I haven't played that much on WiiU, but it didn't look that steady when doing the jump-off-Epona-fire-arrow-slow-motion. I noticed the same shaky feel when they zoomed in on the tower in the distance.

Either way, I can't wait to see more of it, and again; it made me want to buy a WiiU. So congratulations on doing that Nintendo, I guess. :)

Also, this image floating around sure made me smile, considering I was 6 years old when playing the first Zelda when it released. :3

Ninjimbo

It still seems early. I'm sure it will be refined so that it doesn't look so rough. In WWHD you can aim with the gyro and, trust me, it's better than using the analog. Not only is it faster, it's also surprisingly smooth. Zelda U should definitely expand on this.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
After open world demos of games like Just Cause 2, Dragon's Dogma, and MGSV which radiate fun activities at every turn, I'm not sure Nintendo is up to date enough to compete. I'm sure the dungeons will be great as always, but every other element in Zelda has been lacking for a long while, and they seem too far behind the curve to wow people that have played other contemporary adventure series. Their open world is open and seemingly little else.

llehuty

Agreed, really hope they're just optional. Looked really finicky in the footage.

It's also probably not very intutitve when playing with that weird angle. Looks like higher than 90º. Gyro controls can work very well as it was proven in Wind Waker HD.

Who

Banned
This has potential to be GOAT. Nintendo's first-party output has been incredible lately too so my hype is pretty high

phanphare

Banned
Well, the video made me want to buy a WiiU (which I'll probably do after Christmas during sales holiday in Sweden). I do hope they fill the somewhat empty void they call "open world" before release though, since it felt extremely barren and pointless from what they showed. An open world doesn't need to be huge just for the sake of being huge, they need to fill it with interesting stuff to do while travelling between point A and B. I trust that's what they'll do during these final months of development.

Also, I haven't played that much on WiiU, but it didn't look that steady when doing the jump-off-Epona-fire-arrow-slow-motion. I noticed the same shaky feel when they zoomed in on the tower in the distance.

Either way, I can't wait to see more of it, and again; it made me want to buy a WiiU. So congratulations on doing that Nintendo, I guess. :)

the reason it didn't look steady is because it was using the gamepad's gyro to control aiming during those sections

After open world demos of games like Just Cause 2, Dragon's Dogma, and MGSV which radiate fun activities at every turn, I'm not sure Nintendo is up to date enough to compete. I'm sure the dungeons will be great as always, but every other element in Zelda has been lacking for a long while, and they seem too far behind the curve to wow people that have played other contemporary adventure series. Their open world is open and seemingly little else.

think about how Nintendo operates when they reveal content for their games. this one isn't coming out until next year, probably in November. you really think this one section of the game is it? you don't think they'll progressively show more and more as time goes on? to go back to 3D World, the first trailer was shown at E3. the trailer that really sold the game was shown October 1st. a month and a half before the game came out.

let's all just chill out

DizzyCrow

I just can't process how beautiful this games is, I'm so glad they didn't go make it realistic. I hope that we get a Direct in January with direct feed footage.

A) the slomo mechanic must tie into the abilities of Link in this game, right? Any speculation about this?

I speculate that it will be used to take down certain enemies or even bosses or even the final boss, which provokes me to further speculate that I will shit my pants if that happens. Remember the badass way you delivered the final strike in Between Worlds? Not saying this is the equivalent of that as that was a defining mechanic in that game, I'm just saying that it would make me shit myself, that's all.

Cincaid

the reason it didn't look steady is because it was using the gamepad's gyro to control aiming during those sections

Ah I see. I suppose the same moves can be done with one of the sticks, like when controlling a camera. Or I have to drink less coffee and more whiskey to remove my shakes. :p

jmizzal

I havent watched the gamexplain video yet, but some things I was thinking about

The slow down effect when you jump off the horse is likely a move you can only do with magic, he had the magic meter, that makes sense I doubt you will just be able to freely go around and jump of the horse in slow motion freely.

The slow down move is most likely a tactic made for when your fighting a lot of enemies at a time and also big enemies like in the first trailer from E3. Its likely that fighting a Boss like that you cant hit certain weak points while on foot on the ground and you have to jump off the horse and slow down time to make it easier.

edit Looking at the video now it does look like the magic meter drops a lil bit when he does the slow motion jump

Spinluck

As always, everytime a new Nintendo game is revealed, posts are 25% hype and 75% dissapointment and "Nintendo is doomed 5 ever" "They dOn't know how to make gaims!" replies. It's been happening pretty much since the Internet became relevant for gaming news. Yeah, I definitely agree that there could have been a better way to showcase this game considering it's Nintendo's biggest and most respectable IP, but come on, even Reggie said fans were always asking him about the new Zelda so he actually listened to freaking fans for once and he got Miyamoto and Aonuma together so they can personally show a gameplay demo of Zelda exclusively for a Western webshow awards. I'm sure they didn't were supposed to show this footage in first place until a proper trailer with direct-feed footage was ready for a Nintendo Direct or something but they did. In my opinion I'm just happy that we get a chance to finally see gameplay of one of the most important games of this generation and looks really, really great. Tons of potential and I'm sure the game will no dissapoint at all.

Why are there so many overreactions over the people who were not impressed with what was shown? I am sorry, but slomo arrow shooting, and big worlds and waypoints is nothing new to get excited over. At least for some people, I don't care about the auto horse, and I do not care about Link parachuting off a cliff. That's not what makes Zelda fun for me, none of those things actually.

However, the potential for them to make a Zelda all about exploring again is through the roof, yes, I'm excited about that. But I can be hyped for the games potential, and think this demonstration is lame as hell. I in no way think or believe this is the final product. I am not gonna settle with, "AT LEAST WE GOT TO SEE IT," or "YOU'RE NOT ALLOWED TO JUDGE IT UNFINISHED" (even though that's what the positive reaction are also doing). I am just saying none of these new gameplay bits they have shown are anything special or unique to Zelda, sorry that I hold Nintendo to a better standard--so that when they show shit that should have been in Zelda for years... I don't go crazy about it.

Game moves and looks beautiful for the most part though.

Here's a theory:
In the footage you can see Link can take off his hood, what if it works like masks in Majora's Mask and you can get new hoods/masks to replace it?

llehuty

Could the day-night cicle focus, the time displayed in the gamepad screen and the slow-mo mechanics when jumping from the horse point to a time control Zelda entry in line with Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask?

What if they somehow tie it with Majora's Mask plot since the 3DS remake is being released in the same year?

tumblr_mbrjl9ZDNn1riqizno1_250.gif

HYPE

Yasumi

Banned
Definitely some very strong Shadow of the Colossus influences there. Though Skyward Sword pretty much killed any interest I had in Zelda, this still looks quite neat.

Grief.exe

It still seems early. I'm sure it will be refined so that it doesn't look so rough. In WWHD you can aim with the gyro and, trust me, it's better than using the analog. Not only is it faster, it's also surprisingly smooth. Zelda U should definitely expand on this.

I would know this, but my Wii U that came in doesn't read discs.

iIltVzfmezPNI.jpg

Definitely some very strong Shadow of the Colossus influences there.

That was the first thing I thought of as well.

RagnarokX

jSNa4aavh75gf.jpg

Start: magic meter full.

jvX7maYcuwRow.jpg

After cut: magic meter drained a bit.

jSAW7B3tvkvN7.jpg

Magic meter remains drained for rest of demo.

ixOKTl3YruUFF.gif

You can see the stripes in the meter change when it drains.

Yay magic meter's back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom