• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO Announcement: 10253 Big Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghostmind

KrJvDBY.jpg

10253 Big Ben
Ages 16+. 4,163 pieces.
US $249.99 – CA $299.99 – DE 219.99€ – UK £169.99 – DK 1999.00 DKK
*Euro pricing varies by country. Please visit shop.LEGO.com for regional pricing.

Build the world’s best-known clock tower!

Get up close to Big Ben! The clock was first started on May 31st 1859, and Big Ben’s first chime rang from the 96-meter Elizabeth Tower on July 11th of the same year. This over 23” (60cm) high LEGO® interpretation of the iconic structure is a tribute to its engineering and architecture. It features a detailed facade with statues, shields and windows, and a clock tower with 4 adjustable clock dials and a removable roof allowing access to the belfry, plus buildable exterior elements including a sidewalk, lawn and a tree depicting the building’s location. This model makes a great display piece for the home or office.

• Big Ben features a detailed section of the Westminster Palace and the adjoining Elizabeth Tower, 4 detailed clock dials with movable hour and minutes hands, and a sidewalk, tree and grass area depicting the building’s location.
• Remove the top of the tower to access the Big Ben bell.
• Put your LEGO® building skills to the test!
• Special elements include 4 printed clock faces.
• Rare elements include ski poles, flowers and corner plates in molded gold color, and tinted-translucent elements.
• Big Ben measures over 23” (60cm) high, 17” (44cm) wide and 7” (20cm) deep.

Available for sale directly through LEGO® beginning July 1st, or by VIP early access starting June 15th via shop.LEGO.com, LEGO® Stores or via phone.

Designer Video

(For more LEGO discussion, visit LEGO-GAF in the OT Community forum. Our current thread is here.)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Nice. Much better than their smaller architecture one which was just the tower. Looks more like the mod I did to extend that

N1HV5ve.jpg

Edit: doh they only did one tower at the end - that looks weird. Now I have to mod that too :p

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Oh shit. I think I need that.

Surprised its not part of their architectural line though. Do they still do those? My Fallingwater model is one of my favorite things

The only hesitation I have in not buying this in early VIP access is cuz I'm not going to build it right away and it should be available for a while. I might wait for double VIP points too.

In before "Lego is so much more expensive than it used to be"
In before modern Lego sets don't require any imagination cuz specialty parts and instructions.

ghostmind

Oh shit. I think I need that.

Surprised its not part of their architectural line though. Do they still do those? My Fallingwater model is one of my favorite things

The Architecture theme still exists, and there has been a Big Ben set released for it, but the "World Buildings" theme is much larger in scale.

Previous entries to the World Building theme:

10181 Eiffel Tower (2007)
DtKfiwK.jpg

10189 Taj Mahal (2008)
KL5T6IB.jpg

10214 Tower Bridge (2010)
Ryi4oZX.jpg

10234 Sydney Opera House (2013)
FB8Iyk4.jpg

iosefe

price point is so good for Big fucking Ben

i've had a lot of people ask me why The opera house is mroe expensive than the Tower Bridge, and i'm sure people will ask why Big Ben is so cheap comparatively as well, seeing as the opera house has less pieces. i would assume some of that extra comes from the larger molded pieces.

Plum

How quick do these sell out? I've not built anything Lego for years now but damn, I'm seriously considering saving up for this. Looks amazing.

iuuk

How quick do these sell out? I've not built anything Lego for years now but damn, I'm seriously considering saving up for this. Looks amazing.

Depends on how well they sell, but I wouldn't expect this one to go OOP soon. As mentioned earlier the Tower Bridge came out in 2010 and is still available. I'm pretty sure this one is going to be available for at least 2 years, but probably quite a bit longer.

Plum

Depends on how well they sell, but I wouldn't expect this one to go OOP soon. As mentioned earlier the Tower Bridge came out in 2010 and is still available. I'm pretty sure this one is going to be available for at least 2 years, but probably quite a bit longer.

Well looks like I'm getting either this or Tower Bridge. Both look amazing and deep down I've seriously missed Lego. Thanks!

I'd love to get these big creator sets but they just love to collect dust and I rarely if ever rebuild a model. Plus that porsche be calling my soul in a few weeks anyways.

SDCowboy

My question to those who are really into the large adult Lego sets is, how do you display these beasts? I mean, with traditional model building, the models display very easy. These Lego sets have a massive footprint, though.

SDCowboy

Because it's not a licensed property set. Anything with a license of a known IP costs more. Like all Star Wars sets are typically the most expensive when it comes to Lego

Makes sense. I was legitimately expecting this set to retail around $500.

I'd love to get these big creator sets but they just love to collect dust and I rarely if ever rebuild a model. Plus that porsche be calling my soul in a few weeks anyways.

Do people actually tear these down and rebuild them?

Because it's not a licensed property set. Anything with a license of a known IP costs more. Like all Star Wars sets are typically the most expensive when it comes to Lego

The fact that it is a ton of tiny pieces, and in massive quantities also helps keep the costs down on it.

And this looks like a magnificent parts pack for MOCs later. All those black windows...

Ryuuroden

The fact that it is a ton of tiny pieces, and in massive quantities also helps keep the costs down on it.

And this looks like a magnificent parts pack for MOCs later. All those black windows...

Those windows are actually all 1x1 trans black bricks. (watch 57 seconds into the video)

Those windows are actually all 1x1 trans black bricks. (watch 57 seconds into the video)

Ah. Looking at the video and pics on my computer and not my phone finally.

So, lots of trans black bricks ahoy! Either way, it looks like absolutely massive quantities of many types of bricks in this.

Tower Bridge still takes the cake for having over 500 of the tan cheese slopes. I don't know if anything else comes close to having that much of one part, except maybe Taj Mahal. It seems the Brickset piece counters stop at 200.

Man, this set is screaming to me to get it and I haven't built a set in probably more than 20 years.

So? Buy it and build it. The first set coming out of the dark ages is always one that will stick with you. And it will also lead you down the dark and expensive path.

But go ahead and buy it if it is calling. Don't deny yourself the fun of it.

Yes, LEGO GAF are a bunch of filthy enablers.

SDCowboy

So? Buy it and build it. The first set coming out of the dark ages is always one that will stick with you. And it will also lead you down the dark and expensive path.

But go ahead and buy it if it is calling. Don't deny yourself the fun of it.

Yes, LEGO GAF are a bunch of filthy enablers.

Just to date myself, the last set I built was the wild west fort (Fort Legoredo). lol

Just to date myself, the last set I built was the wild west fort. lol

This one?
6769-1.jpg

Bah. The last set I bought before coming out of the dark ages back in 2012 was earlier than that. It was Space Police II themed stuff. I was out before the wild west theme, and it is a shame. That fort looks sweet.

You are only 20 years out. It is never too late to jump back in. The thing is that now, you can actually afford to get some of the really cool stuff you always wanted as a kid.

SDCowboy

This one?
6769-1.jpg

Bah. The last set I bought before coming out of the dark ages back in 2012 was earlier than that. It was Space Police II themed stuff. I was out before the wild west theme, and it is a shame. That fort looks sweet.

You are only 20 years out. It is never too late to jump back in. The thing is that now, you can actually afford to get some of the really cool stuff you always wanted as a kid.

That's the set. Still my favorite of all time as a wild west guy.

Man, this set is screaming to me to get it and I haven't built a set in probably more than 20 years.
I'm not going to tell you to buy this set. Frankly I'm not sure it's the right first set for someone coming out of their dark age. It's an extreme set--lots of pieces and looks like lots of repetition. Your first set will set your expectations for other sets and this is not going to be like most sets.

I suggest starting smaller, such as the Creator set in this current MOC contest: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1215793

It's small, inexpensive, has 3 different model instructions in one set, and after you've spent a couple hours building and breaking down the official builds, you can join the fun in the contest and make something on your own.

Then after you've whet your appetite, make room in your house cuz you're going to need it.

SDCowboy

I'm not going to tell you to buy this set. Frankly I'm not sure it's the right first set for someone coming out of their dark age. It's an extreme set--lots of pieces and looks like lots of repetition. Your first set will set your expectations for other sets and this is not going to be like most sets.

I suggest starting smaller, such as the Creator set in this current MOC contest: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1215793

It's small, inexpensive, has 3 different model instructions in one set, and after you've spent a couple hours building and breaking down the official builds, you can join the fun in the contest and make something on your own.

Then after you've whet your appetite, make room in your house cuz you're going to need it.
I'm not necessarily looking to really get back into it. I've just been hankering for one really massive, time consuming grownup set, for old time sake. And this is the first one that's really spoken to me. Like, the Star Wars ones don't really do it for me (even as a huge SW fan).

AMUSIX

I'm not necessarily looking to really get back into it. I've just been hankering for one really massive, time consuming grownup set, for old time sake. And this is the first one that's really spoken to me. Like, the Star Wars ones don't really do it for me (even as a huge SW fan).

My first set 'back' into Lego was the Tower Bridge, and I loved it. So, yeah, a ton of pieces, a lot of repetition, but it proved to be the perfect break during a busy, stressful week. Since then, I've done the ferris wheel and the Shield Helicarrier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom