• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO Announcement: 70922 The Joker™ Manor

ghostmind

z2ZJ0d4.jpg

70922 The Joker™ Manor
Ages 14+. 3,444 pieces.
US $269.99 – CA $349.99 – DE 269.99€ – UK £249.99 – DK 2299.00 DKK
*Euro pricing varies by country. Please visit shop.LEGO.com for regional pricing.
Available November 24th at LEGO Stores and on LEGO Shop at Home.

Dare to enter The Joker™ Manor!

Help Batman™, Barbara Gordon, Alfred Pennyworth™ (in his classic Batsuit) and Nightwing™ regain control of the jokerized Wayne Manor with this massive THE LEGO® BATMAN MOVIE set. The Joker™ Manor is packed with iconic details from the movie and cool functions, including a rollercoaster encircling the whole building, a huge buildable The Joker head with trapdoor and slide, punching boxing gloves, a rocking ‘The Joker' sign and rotating ‘big eye' tower. The interior includes a cinema room with a romantic DVD element, kitchen with buildable microwave plus lobster and lemon-slice decorated tile elements, living room with a buildable grand piano, fireplace and bust, swimming pool room, and a music studio with guitar element and buildable mixing desk and loudspeakers. Build this magnificent manor and then recreate your favorite scenes from the movie with 10 included minifigures.
• Includes 10 minifigures: The Joker™, Batman™, Barbara Gordon, Harley Quinn™, Nightwing™, Alfred Pennyworth™ Classic Batsuit, Disco Batman™, Disco The Joker™, Disco Batgirl™ and Disco Robin™.
• Features a grand entrance flanked by 2 buildable bombs with translucent spark-style elements, 2-level and 3-level towers with turrets and flag elements on top, a rollercoaster track and train with 3 cars (each with a minifigure seat), rotating ‘big eye' tower with lever-operated iris to ‘look' up and down, huge buildable The Joker™ head with trapdoor and slide, rocking ‘The Joker' sign, ‘Ha! Ha!' sign, 2 wheel-operated punching boxing gloves, plus many multicolored, translucent light-style decorative elements.
• Activate the trapdoor to send a minifigure tumbling from the top of the The Joker™ head, down the slide and out through the mouth.
• Interior includes an entrance hall with 4 plastic, bendy ‘mirror' elements; living room with a buildable grand piano and stool, bust, and fireplace with translucent-red fire-style elements; cinema room with a screen, minifigure seat and assorted elements including a romantic DVD; kitchen with cup, pot and pan elements, and a buildable microwave with lobster, lemon and plate elements inside; music studio with a buildable mixing desk and loudspeakers, seat and a guitar element; swimming pool room with translucent-blue water-style elements; and an attic with 2 buildable boxes and a rat figure.
• Weapons include Batman's Batarang, Barbara Gordon's revolver and Harley Quinn's bat.
• Disco Batman™, Disco The Joker™, Disco Batgirl™ and Disco Robin™ minifigures are new!
• Recreate and reimagine memorable scenes from THE LEGO® BATMAN MOVIE.
• The Joker™ Manor measures over 21" (55cm) high, 25" (66cm) wide and 10" (27cm) deep.
• Rollercoaster train measures over 1" (3cm) high, 5" (15cm) long and 1" (3cm) wide.

(For more LEGO discussion, visit LEGO-GAF in the OT Community forum. Our current thread is here.)

Was very confused about Nightwing until I realized this was based on the Lego Batman *movie*, because I used to have different Batman Legos that pre-dated it

N21

Nice set, but I suspect that a lot of people will think the price is too high.

Cool, but $270? Damn, Legos are expensive.

I guess they can afford to be expensive considering K'nex, Mechanio (what ever it's called) and Mega Bloks aren't putting up much of a fight in when it comes to competition. Fortunately, even though these Lego sets are expensive, Lego don't cheap on quality (just employees, massive layoffs recently).

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Love the minifigures, and the set looks neat, but not something I would spend that much for. I still need the 60s Batcave.

Is that supposed to be the Eye of Sauron at the top?

edit:
rotating ‘big eye' tower

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

slider

Is there a link I can send to my wife? Our kid loves Batman/superheroes and recently got a couple of Lego sets that he loves. What could go wrong??

Edit: Shit, our son is only four. He'd lose the pieces VERY quickly I'm sure. Shame.

CHC

Weird it has so many pieces, it doesn't look that large or intricate. Not compared to, like, Ghostbusters HQ, which seems much denser.

And I love Lego but damn they're really no longer shy about releasing these big expensive anymore, huh?

Krakn3Dfx

Legos for the 1%.

If you're going to spend $270 on Legos, why would you buy a set that basically only lets you build 1 thing?

Lego's producing bad decisions faster than I can make them. Wonder if I'll wind up getting anything out of this, ninjago city, and assembly square.

Weird it has so many pieces, it doesn't look that large or intricate. Not compared to, like, Ghostbusters HQ, which seems much denser.

And I love Lego but damn they're really no longer shy about releasing these big expensive anymore, huh?
Well if little Timmy decides he'd rather have this than a console for Christmas I guess many parents would be thrilled for the reduced screen usage. This would be one hell of a hand me down for the next sibling in line. A hell of a lot of raw material once it gets mulched into the family Lego bucket.

Legos for the 1%.

If you're going to spend $270 on Legos, why would you buy a set that basically only lets you build 1 thing?

Because enough raw material to make an enormous building is enough to make a wide variety of smaller ones. The only stuff in there not flexible would be the roller coaster track and any printed pieces or stickers.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Legos for the 1%.

I do believe these LEGO pieces can be used to make whatever the hell someone wants, and, like every other LEGO set ever made, can be used to build whatever you can think of.

Per brick cost makes no sense logically, nor does anyone care when they see the sticker shock. LEGO is too expensive, and large factor in their financial issues. Their licensed sets are ridiculous

They do tier their sets to reach all price ranges though, the Lego Batman sets range from $15.00 to infinite money (this is the most expensive set in the theme). Folks tend to react badly to the more expensive ones and I do understand that perfectly. I know I reacted badly to the 60s batcave one mostly because I had little interest in the license and the build looked tedious for kinda ho-hum aesthetics and an awkward build size. But this is an actually attractive looking build with cool elements like a roller coaster and a shitton of minifigs, on the scale of the Sea Cow from the first Lego film.

you think it costs even one penny to manufacture a lego brick?

Do you expect me to believe that the only cost lego incurs is the plastic in their injection molds?

teeny

If you’re not interested in Lego why even come into a thread about a large licensed Lego set and proceed to moan about the price? Yes, large sets are expensive. I am shocked. Just buy one of the cheap boxes that consist of many random parts if that’s what you want.

I expect all those complaining live such spartan existences /s. Given this is gaf, I bet the vast majority of you all buy into some kind of plastic shit marketed towards your interests with rabbid enthusiasm.

Crispy75

Per brick cost makes no sense logically, nor does anyone care when they see the sticker shock. LEGO is too expensive, and large factor in their financial issues. Their licensed sets are ridiculous

The spread of prices from small to medium sets is the same now as it's always been, adjusting for inflation. You get more bricks for your money in those sets of course. What's changed is that they now make big expensive sets for adults too.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Well, this seems expensive, even by Lego standards. The recent Ninjago City has a lot more pieces, is a more impressive construction no doubt, and costs about the same.

"HA HA"

Do you get it?

Because it's the Joker.

The Joker tells jokes.

Do you get it?
This is supposed to be a 50s Batman set, where the Joker also was more lighthearted and not a complete murdering psychopath.

It's 12.7 cents per brick in the US. That's not counting sales tax either.
You divided the numbers backwards. It's 8 cents, which is pretty decent for Lego. 80s sets rarely got that good. And people need to realize there's other costs to sets besides molding: R&D, testing, marketing, maintaining their infrastructure, etc. The average brick is 10 cents. Lego has a 30% profit margin, I'm not good at math but that means they could sell their stuff at 7 cents per piece and have narrow profits but obviously companies need to make some Money

And before people bring up Lepin, they don't have to deal with any of those things I mentioned, and also probably steal molds and other things, which is why they can sell things at ~4 cents per piece.

It's 12.7 cents per brick in the US. That's not counting sales tax either.
270 dollars /3444 pieces = 7.8 c per piece.

You did 3444/270 and got 12.7 pieces per dollar.

It ain't as amazing of a ratio as ninjago city or some of the modular buildings but batman tax appears to be less steep than star wars tax.

Jimrpg

This looks like a great set. But out of this and Ninjago City, I prefer NC not just for the piece count but I think NC is probably one of their best designed sets. Though NC looks better from a 45 deg angle, so for display The Joker Manor might look better if you like to display them traditionally from a front on view.

As for the price, I'm not sure what people are really expecting. Do people just for Lego to produce $50 sets for 700 pieces? I mean there's plenty of those already, they just don't get an announcement thread because there's a whole bunch of them announced at once, and the higher priced sets are more news-worthy and 'collectable'.

Do people want lower priced per piece sets? Like 4 cents or 5 cents a piece? You can get that on discount. Some of the Lego Classic sets get to that price when its discounted. Perhaps they'll up the piece count across most of their boxes to provide better value. But I don't think a lot of casual customers really look that hard into piece hard, they'd probably judge value on the size of the box and whatever they see on the packaging. I think in Lego's opinion, price per piece wouldn't really drive higher sales.

Anyways I don't want to derail the topic too much, but I think the drive by price posters haven't considered the issue entirely. If The Joker Manor was $150 for example, Lego would just put out another set at $300 with even more pieces, so lowering price per piece probably isn't going to solve the 'high' cost of Lego sets.

Falchion

Looks like a ton of fun to build. If I was crazy rich, I would totally buy all these big Lego sets as soon as they come out and then donate them to a kids hospital or something after I assembled them once.

Top Bottom