• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lego City Undercover Switch cover mentions 13GB download [Up3: Full game on card]

fernoca

If the Switch can run Zelda at 1600 x 900, it should easily run this at 720p. Framerate can't be explained.

On Wii U, Lego City is one of my favorite games (and overall best Lego game), yet, Breath of the Wild also on Wii U runs better and loads faster. So maybe optimization?

Though Lego also has more characters and vehicles on screen. Breath of the Wild is huge, but it rarely has dozens of characters and cars on screen.

This also is still quite impressive how it still runs and looks as a portable game. The only other open world Lego games in portables were Lego City on 3DS and Avengers on 3DS/Vita. They both also had ton of fog, way smaller, segmented and way less stuff on screen.

Darn, was hoping to wake up to a lot more impressions. I guess it's early in the day.

Leaving on a trip late this evening and really wanted to pick this up beforehand. Guess I'll wait until after work - hopefully there are more impressions by then. I'll be cutting it close getting this downloaded on time though!

Trying to decide between PC and the Switch.. hmmm. If the Switch version is vastly inferior - it will be hard to justify. Decisions, decisions!

I was looking at this Nintendo World Report video of the coop on Switch and judging by the button prompts, each player needs a full controller each (one pair of joy-cons or a Pro Controller). This may have been obvious, especially to people who played the Wii U version, but it's a shame if they didn't at least wrangle some sort of compromised control scheme for individual joy-cons.

Ridley327

I was looking at this Nintendo World Report video of the coop on Switch and judging by the button prompts, each player needs a full controller each (one pair of joy-cons or a Pro Controller). This may have been obvious, especially to people who played the Wii U version, but it's a shame if they didn't at least wrangle some sort of compromised control scheme for individual joy-cons.
I think that they mentioned that they tried, but the open world aspects required too much camera control to be able to pull it off without a right stick.

I'm mildly curious about the impressions here. I only played a few hours on Wii U and barely remember much. The Lego games have always been kind of meh to me but this one kind of peaks my interest. It could be a good handheld game to play to unwind before bed.

I love this game but man the performance is terrible to the point of distracting on the Wii U. I'm really hoping this game can hold 30 on Switch

shiyrley

Banned
Reminder:
Lego City Undercover |OT| Schrodinger's Cart

it needs to happen pls

btw what I'm curious about is Switch's performance in splitscreen

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Reminder:

it needs to happen pls

I feel that's too platform-specific for a multiplatform release. I'm fond of Braniac's suggestion of "Building an Investigation" myself.

Reminder:

it needs to happen pls

btw what I'm curious about is Switch's performance in splitscreen

Why schrodinger? Because its both handheld and TV? (I get what schrodinger's cat is, wondering how it applies to this game - either the cat or quantum mechanics in general)

Zedark

Why schrodinger? Because its both handheld and TV? (I get what schrodinger's cat is, wondering how it applies to this game - either the cat or quantum mechanics in general)
It's because of the whole debat about whether or not we would have to download a 13 GB patch to get all the game's content (which, it turns out, we don't). As such, as long as we didn't know, the download could both be real or not real, and the cart could be fully encompassing the game or not, with no way of knowing until someone tried.

Effect

Takes a big frame rate hit when co-op is turned on it seems. At 1:12 you can see how smooth the game is in single player and then the hit when it switches to co-op. Don't think it will be worth it personally. Might be better just to trade the controller back and forth like one had to with the Wii U version. Curious if the other versions take a hit with co-op.

Now it could be a case of optimization but I think it also could be a case of the game just not being coded well from the very start. It was a launch window game for the Wii U but I don't recall if it was ever a game made only for the system or if it started off as a game for another system and then made a Wii U game. No other game at launch or since had the load times it had. So I'm willing to lean that it was a game that turned into a Wii U game. Whatever they did to make it work on the Wii U resulted in the long loading times and its something that simply can't be undone without likely recoding a large part of the game. Something that wouldn't make sense for a port.

Takes a big frame rate hit when co-op is turned on it seems. At 1:12 you can see how smooth the game is in single player and then the hit when it switches to co-op.

Now it could be a case of optimization but I think it also could be a case of the game just not being coded well from the very start. It was a launch window game for the Wii U but I don't recall if it was ever a game made only for the system or if it started off as a game for another system and then made a Wii U game. No other game at launch or since had the load times it had. So I'm willing to lean that it was a game that turned into a Wii U game. Whatever they did to make it work on the Wii U resulted in the long loading times and its something that simply can't be undone without likely recoding a large part of the game. Something that wouldn't make sense for a port.

I believe the wii u load times were blamed on a last minute change before launch of the wii uu file system or someting, a couple of other early games suffered as well (splinter cell blacklist being one) but now them still being bad on all the ports suggests its just a badly coded game

daxy

Comparing the videos, it seems like the Switch and PS4 versions are practically identical. Beyond obvious differences in resolution and frame rate, I noticed that the Switch version does not have any ambient occlusion or depth of field effects during gameplay, and objects are drawn closer to the player (i.e. pop-in takes place further away on PS4). Most jarringly however, it looks like the Switch version seems to dip sub-30 fps with some regularity in the overworld.

That switch footage looks rather nice, the game has so much charm.

Has it been confirmed that docked resolution is 720p? because youtube makes it look cleaner then that.

Ridley327

Hmmm so ps4 pro is 60fps indoors and 30 fps outdoors? Or that's what it looks like to me.

The indoors footage looks like it can hit 60 fps for stretches, but it can drop below that. I would hope that they're a locked 30 on base hardware, but the overall impression that I'm getting is that this game really isn't well optimized on any of the platforms it's releasing on. For that matter, it wasn't particularly well optimized on the platform it already released on!

Ridley327

Takes a big frame rate hit when co-op is turned on it seems. At 1:12 you can see how smooth the game is in single player and then the hit when it switches to co-op. Don't think it will be worth it personally. Might be better just to trade the controller back and forth like one had to with the Wii U version. Curious if the other versions take a hit with co-op.

LCU was originally announced via an insert with another game (I want to say LEGO Indiana Jones 2?), with the implication that it was a multiplatform title. I've speculated that since it was the first open world LEGO game to be announced that the iteration of the engine at the time is a lot older than the one that's been in common use amongst the titles released since then, as I don't believe that LEGO Batman 2 (which, funny enough, managed to come out before LCU did) has any of the loading problems that LCU has.

Jeffrey

The indoors footage looks like it can hit 60 fps for stretches, but it can drop below that. I would hope that they're a locked 30 on base hardware, but the overall impression that I'm getting is that this game really isn't well optimized on any of the platforms it's releasing on. For that matter, it wasn't particularly well optimized on the platform it already released on!
Is pc today as well? Curious how that runs. It isn't too hard to hit 60 fps with the last few lego games. Played the avengers games just fine.

LAA

Wouldn't have really minded about the game being a step up from the Wii U version graphically, but the loading times baffle me...
Thought they were due to disc reading, but guess not.

SpeedNut

So this is a straight port from the Wii U title that's now for sale for $20 bucks at a $60 price point? Am I missing something here?

Orca

Yeah I was laughing about this yesterday. The kids loved the game on Wii U but $69.99 Canadian for a four year old port with what looks to be zero in the way of work done on it is a joke.

I found there to be a noticeable difference in resolution between the PS4 Pro and the Switch.
No DOF effect in the NS version... other than that looks pretty similar. I am goint to try a pixel count.
ZU4xQ1i.png

daxy

No DOF effect in the NS version... other than that looks pretty similar. I am goint to try a pixel count.
ZU4xQ1i.png

No ambient occlusion on Switch, pop-in distance is closer too. Lower texture resolution by the looks of it, but hard to tell b/c the game's resolution is also lower.

Glix

These youtube videos are fucking killing me. I'm going to assume that it is all being captured in docked mode?

Considering that swtich games have two modes, they really should specify in the video title, regardless of how obvious they think it is.

edit - WOW at the above comparison.

Top Bottom