• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lego City Undercover Switch cover mentions 13GB download [Up3: Full game on card]

No ambient occlusion on Switch, pop-in distance is closer too. Lower texture resolution by the looks of it, but hard to tell b/c the game's resolution is also lower.
I compared both videos side by side, Textures resolution is the same as this point on both versions.. also the pop in distance is the same, draw distance too, The only missing effect on the Nintendo switch is the DOF, also the Resolution on the NS is better than the Wii U version (720p). Trying a pixel count rigth now. But the Improvement over the Wii U version is clear.

Jeffrey

These youtube videos are fucking killing me. I'm going to assume that it is all being captured in docked mode?

Considering that swtich games have two modes, they really should specify in the video title, regardless of how obvious they think it is.

edit - WOW at the above comparison.

Is there even a consumer way to capture portable mode? Thought only dev units had video out.

These youtube videos are fucking killing me. I'm going to assume that it is all being captured in docked mode?

Considering that swtich games have two modes, they really should specify in the video title, regardless of how obvious they think it is.

edit - WOW at the above comparison.
Yes, is the only way right now.

XO2vubu.png

It's because of the whole debat about whether or not we would have to download a 13 GB patch to get all the game's content (which, it turns out, we don't). As such, as long as we didn't know, the download could both be real or not real, and the cart could be fully encompassing the game or not, with no way of knowing until someone tried.

ah cool thanks!

disappointed that load times are still bad, very interested in PC reviews/impressions. I dont see a price on steam page which is weird - it does say it unlocks in 1 hour

Ridley327

I feel like the Switch version looks better for some reason, maybe its due to the lack of DOF. You can't see the mesh of the fence on the PS4Pro version.

DOF is largely an artistic preference, though it is certainly a demanding feature in some implementations. I can see why it could be held against the Switch version as it was present in the Wii U version, but DOF is one of those effects where I totally see both sides of that fence being valid.

It seems like the most obvious difference is in the color palette, but it's hard to say if it's because they intentionally toned down the vibrancy in the port, or if the game has a more robust lighting system in place that better simulates realistic lighting conditions.

Ridley327

wow, better than expected for Switch! really looking forward to the DF video if they make one for this game.

At the risk of sounding like I'm being harsh, they'd be completely insane not to do one. It's the first simultaneous retail release for a third-party Switch game, and the Wii U version is already a well-known quantity, which makes even a three-way comparison between PS4, Switch and Wii U incredibly enticing.

I ended up getting it for about $20 on Amazon after they screwed up sending my NS on launch day. I figured for that price, it wasn't a bad way to go. A shame the official price isn't half of what it is.

I had store credit for MK8D and this game via GameStop. I ended up paying about $25 for LEGO City Undercover and about $21 for MK8D, which I think is good for what the games are. Yeah, I wish the launch price was about half of what it is. It's especially interesting since the Wii U game initially launched at $50, not $60, but Nintendo published that version, not WB.

So this is a straight port from the Wii U title that's now for sale for $20 bucks at a $60 price point? Am I missing something here?
Well, there's co-op (which I'm actually legit excited for, it why I passed the first time around)

Really though, while the price is high, it's a Lego game. And this time it's not published by Nintendo. It will be down to $20 by Christmas, most likely. These games ALWAYS tank in price, NEVER buy them day one.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
DOF is also (relative) memory bandwith expensive.

Also, is the Wii U ver. more green overall? Or just different times of the day?

Glix

Had a $25 Gamestop credit so I randomly just picked this up on my lunch and I'm booting now. Feel free to ask any questions.

(Switch rev btw)

EDarkness

Why is the car so poorly textured on the PS4P compared to Switch? The tire looks like shit on PS4P.

Could be some post processing effect that doesn't look great in still shots. We have video of the game running on the PS4 Pro, so we should have an idea of what to expect from that game.

Ridley327

It's unknown as of right now. I speculated that they may have updated the lighting engine in this version to have a more realistic rendering of lighting conditions, but without a more in-depth analysis of this version, that's simply logical conjecture.

I actually don't minid the missing DOF on the Switch version. It just feels like I forgot to put my glasses for most games that use it.

Its more green.

Glix

Docked and undocked resolutions/framerates?

I'll only be able to play undocked until much later. I'm not great at getting rez with the naked eye, but it doesnt' seem native rez to me. But it could just be because its not aliased, I'm not great at this. The UI is even all jaggy. Game looks amazing as a portable game, regardless.

I tried to manually update, and there was no update at all, so I'm not sure what the 13gb and the "internet required" on the box are really about.

WB sucks they couldn't even be bothered to print any art or instructions on the backside of the liner.

UGH - you can't change the camera speed.

Mega

Banned
Wow, the switch has literally no DOF. the fuck?

My Pre-order is still stands, bu man that is disappointing.

I see that as an improvement over heavy-handed DOF which I've personally never liked. My eyes don't see an extreme blurry haze when looking off a short distance away so I don't see why it should be that way in games simulating an open world environment.

Richie

Waiting to see if the supposed patch/update WB mentioned will do anything for loading times. If not, that'd be a disappointment but not a deal breaker. This was one of the Wii U's hidden gems, will very likely double dip at some point down the road.

Wil348

I'll only be able to play undocked until much later. I'm not great at getting rez with the naked eye, but it doesnt' seem native rez to me. But it could just be because its not aliased, I'm not great at this. The UI is even all jaggy. Game looks amazing as a portable game, regardless.

I tried to manually update, and there was no update at all, so I'm not sure what the 13gb and the "internet required" on the box are really about.

WB sucks they couldn't even be bothered to print any art or instructions on the backside of the liner.

UGH - you can't change the camera speed.

Okay, thanks. How does it run in portable mode? The off-screen footage from Nintendo World Report made it look a bit rough, though that could have been the camera.

shiyrley

Banned
Get this on Switch when the price drops and try to convince my gf to get it too and play in local coop, being able to play in both my and her home. Full screen for each player, but 30 FPS

or

Get it on PC and play splitscreen with her, only on my home, no "full screen for each player options", but 60 FPS

Zefdm61.gif

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Switch version looks solid for a quick port - skipped it on 3DS/WiiU but getting the Switch version for cheaper down the line.

Def. a good sign for upcoming Lego titles on Switch.

Jeffrey

Not too bothered by the price. It's the best lego game out there and a meaty game.

Better to offer this than that awful batman armored something back at wii u launch lol.

Top Bottom