• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO Dimensions Review Thread

Raggie

That price for the amount of content (both gameplay and physical) is way off.

Then again, building Legos and playing Lego games is something I do with my husband, who doesn't play a lot of games... and he loves Portal, and The Simpsons is something we have enjoyed together since we started dating, and we both have the nostalgia for Back to the Future and Ghostbusters, and I'm an absolute nut for Tolkien and Lego Lord of the Rings is one of my favorite Tolkien games...

Argh.

That price for the amount of content (both gameplay and physical) is way off.

Then again, building Legos and playing Lego games is something I do with my husband, who doesn't play a lot of games... and he loves Portal, and The Simpsons is something we have enjoyed together since we started dating, and we both have the nostalgia for Back to the Future and Ghostbusters, and I'm an absolute nut for Tolkien and Lego Lord of the Rings is one of my favorite Tolkien games...

Argh.

Your already looking at around a $219.95 investment.

TheYanger

This sounds like a game I'd enjoy, if I could just get all the available content on a disc for $60. Instead of investing hundreds into a toys-to-life game that will inevitably be artificially supply constrained.

To be fair, it's really only Amiibos that have that problem. The other toy to life products have always been fine.

Lego Dimensions has entered into a competitive genre, with two well-established franchises already enjoying plenty of success, but it brings something new to the table and comes well supported by a back-catalogue of appealing properties. It might be the most expensive option on the market, but for our money it's also the best. It's also the finest game in the series since Lego City Undercover, and one we're looking forward to revisiting again as more content drops.

tumblr_nef0g0NRca1tvhs57o7_250.gif

Tak3n

Banned
you see if the open world is like Lego City, this this game will be brilliant, as in that game the levels were a mere side attraction, the game only really started once you finished the game, as the city was huge with so much to do...

where if this game is a hub world with levels then it will be crap, with such short levels

you see if the open world is like Lego City, this this game will be brilliant, as in that game the levels were a mere side attraction, the game only really started once you finished the game, as the city was huge with so much to do...

where if this game is a hub world with levels then it will be crap, with such short levels

There are numerous smaller open worlds each based on the different franchises. You need a character from that IP to open the gate (every time). You can see more here to get an idea of world size and stuff to do...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpMmmEQ_mgQ

The price initially, and the bricks most likely keeping it from falling to decent levels is the killer here.

I'm just glad they are still doing stand alone LEGO games like Avengers as I love them, but I'm not willing to pay up for the T2L nature of this one.

We haven't heard back about a review copy, but I'm hoping one will arrive on Monday. It looks like a neat game.

Otherwise, I'll probably pick it up down the road, because paying more than $100 for a game just isn't in my budget right now.

If the level pack only gives you an hour, you still get the open world for that franchise with other activities to do. Besides why buy this in the States anywhere but Best Buy for 20% off everything.

I think I just succumbed -- not only are all thirteen doctors there, but each of their TARDIS interiors. Fuuuuuuu...

So, please help me get this as cheap as possible -- I go to Best Buy today and get GCU for $30, pre-order the base set (comes out tomorrow?) and save 20% ($20), right? What other perks do I get?

I think I just succumbed -- not only are all thirteen doctors there, but each of their TARDIS interiors. Fuuuuuuu...

So, please help me get this as cheap as possible -- I go to Best Buy today and get GCU for $30, pre-order the base set (comes out tomorrow?) and save 20% ($20), right? What other perks do I get?

Well, what other worlds do you want to unlock? A fun pack gets you a mini fig, a micro build and will get you access to that IPs free roaming area. Keep in mind you get entry to The Lego Movie, DC comics and Lord of the Rings world with the base pack since you have a mini fig from each of those franchises in the box.

I'm interested to see the portal free roaming world.

Day one (or two actually, I'm getting my stuff from Amazon on Monday) I'm getting the base pack and the Back to the Future level pack.

8bit

Knows the Score
Best Lego since Undercover with Portal, Doctor Who and Back to the Future levels. And a new Jonathan Coulton song. I thought I'd talked myself out of buying this as well.

Well, what other worlds do you want to unlock? A fun pack gets you a mini fig, a micro build and will get you access to that IPs free roaming area. Keep in mind you get entry to The Lego Movie, DC comics and Lord of the Rings world with the base pack since you have a mini fig from each of those franchises in the box.

I'm interested to see the portal free roaming world.

Day one (or two actually, I'm getting my stuff from Amazon on Monday) I'm getting the base pack and the Back to the Future level pack.

I'm afraid that other than Chima, Ninjago, and (maybe) Jurassic World I'm pretty interested in all of them. =/ That's why I'm trying very hard not to succumb. Luckily it does roll out slowly over time, but sheeeesh. While it sucks that Disney's Infinity has Star Wars and Marvel sealed up it may be the only thing saving my wallet from getting completely murdered.

Is it too late to pre-order for 20% off from BB with GCU since it comes out tomorrow? If not, I may have to head down there and plonk down for GCU + pre-order.

Edit: Daaaamn, there's a Midway Arcade world coming? Oh man oh man. Also, I thought we were getting a cel-shaded Scooby world but I see no level pack listed -- where does that come from?

After watching some youtube videos, I think the worlds are bigger than we think. But I think the basis of the game is to explore the words and have fun. Personally, that's exactly what I want in a game like this. Sit back , explore, have fun, and experiment with different characters in worlds they would normally won't be in.

One thing that I think I will love is starting to build with lego and using my brain. Besides, after trying Disney infinity 2, I much rather build with legos outside the game than figuring out the toybox and how to build in that.

I watched some gameplay on youtube and it seems that the open world stuff is much bigger than we all think. I really loved the fact that when you buy the ghostbuster pack, you can use venkman in Wizard of Oz to zap and trap ghosts.

Wag

I'll probably pick it up sometime down the line once I upgrade to a PS4/XBone or if a PC version ever comes out. Hopefully there will be stiff discounts on the game too.

Cleve

Great franchises in this, but man the 1 hour $30 worlds and the lack of a real toybox/sandbox mode leave me doubting it's worth the investment. Maybe I'll jump in down the road.

Great franchises in this, but man the 1 hour $30 worlds and the lack of a real toybox/sandbox mode leave me doubting it's worth the investment. Maybe I'll jump in down the road.

I see the 1 hour getting thrown around a lot. I'm assuming they're slightly bigger than a typical LEGO level in the other games. Some will be an hour, some will be less, some will be more. They were never that small.

I see the 1 hour getting thrown around a lot. I'm assuming they're slightly bigger than a typical LEGO level in the other games. Some will be an hour, some will be less, some will be more. They were never that small.

IMO, from the watching the videos, I think the reviewers are rushing through it and doing the main story/campaign for that expansion pack/level. I'm assuming there will be a lot to discover & explorer outside the main story/campaign.

Cleve

Yeah, I hope there's more to it, but I'm sure some lets plays will pop up that I can check out, and these toy to life games always get crazy sales a month or so after release.

IMO, from the watching the videos, I think the reviewers are rushing through it and doing the main story/campaign for that expansion pack/level. I'm assuming there will be a lot to discover & explorer outside the main story/campaign.
Watch the video I linked above that shows the post story mode content.

One figure gets you into their world.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Best game since undercover is damn tempting. But for now I think I don't give a shit about the toys part so that just makes the game part super expensive.

And the level packs are crazy considering they have Lego in them. They look to have a similar number of parts as tiny pocket money Lego sets, which you'd pay maybe £10 for. So £30 is nuts.

Lego games have been great the last few years. I've played Lego City: Undercover and Marvel with my son and they were good games imo.
However, a bit much of the same.

I'm afraid that other than Chima, Ninjago, and (maybe) Jurassic World I'm pretty interested in all of them. =/ That's why I'm trying very hard not to succumb. Luckily it does roll out slowly over time, but sheeeesh. While it sucks that Disney's Infinity has Star Wars and Marvel sealed up it may be the only thing saving my wallet from getting completely murdered.

Is it too late to pre-order for 20% off from BB with GCU since it comes out tomorrow? If not, I may have to head down there and plonk down for GCU + pre-order.

Edit: Daaaamn, there's a Midway Arcade world coming? Oh man oh man. Also, I thought we were getting a cel-shaded Scooby world but I see no level pack listed -- where does that come from?

There will be a Scooby level as part of the main quest and then you'd buy the team pack to enter the adventure world.

This game is priced rather insanely...I can only imagine this being worth it if you're really into both Lego and toys to life games.

Maybe that overlap is massive and Warner is about to make millions. I dunno. :p

There will be a Scooby level as part of the main quest and then you'd buy the team pack to enter the adventure world.

Ah, that's cool -- and the adventure world is different or an extension (bigger) than the level? Is the
Cyberman Ship
I saw in the Doctor Who video just a level in the game and the adventure world is actually something totally different?

Also I'm hoping that Disney sees the light and lets Star Wars and Marvel be licensed in Lego Dimensions, especially since TT already have Lego games based on them -- maybe next year, once Disney Infinity 3.0 being based around Star Wars has made its splash.

kamakazi5

I forgot this was coming to Wii U as well. I thought the temptation wouldn't matter since I don't have a PS4 or XB1 but now it's coming back. Is everything able to be played co-op? The only way I could justify this is if I can play with my wife through the full game.

So..first you need one character from a brand to unlock that world. Once you've unlocked the world, any of the characters you have can then go and visit?

You need one character from that brand on the pad to enter the world but you can switch them out once you're inside the world.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
for people who have played it, does it play like a typical TT lego game? As in really cute with some really inane puzzles?

Never touched Disney and have no interest in Skylanders, but would love to know how this compares to Infinity gameplay wise

You need one character from that brand on the pad to enter the world but you can switch them out once you're inside the world.

Right. You can't just borrow a minifig to unlock that world to play whenever you want, you need a minifig from that brand to get in every time, but once you're in you can use whichever characters and vehicles you want.

I forgot this was coming to Wii U as well. I thought the temptation wouldn't matter since I don't have a PS4 or XB1 but now it's coming back. Is everything able to be played co-op? The only way I could justify this is if I can play with my wife through the full game.

Standard LEGO co-op across the campaign and the explorable worlds. I'm very happy with how much people seem to be liking the story and the humour in this. It's a big selling point for me to see these characters interacting.

Wait. So to unlock a world you only need a character from that world? There is no world piece unlock like playset pieces from Disney Infinity?

So what holds anyone to buy a cheaper "fun pack" instead of the "level pack"? I.e. buying the one with Bart which is cheaper than the level pack with Homer to unlock Springfield.

Gorki247

Wait. So to unlock a world you only need a character from that world? There is no world piece unlock like playset pieces from Disney Infinity?

So what holds anyone to buy a cheaper "fun pack" instead of the "level pack"? I.e. buying the one with Bart which is cheaper than the level pack with Homer to unlock Springfield.

The level pack also unlocks an exclusive level in addition to the adventure world.

for people who have played it, does it play like a typical TT lego game? As in really cute with some really inane puzzles?

Never touched Disney and have no interest in Skylanders, but would love to know how this compares to Infinity gameplay wise

It plays exactly like a typical TT Lego game.

Reading the Videogamer review makes it sound like this was an incredibly difficult game to score. If money is no object sounds like a great experience but it's just a bit too much of a black hole for me.

Top Bottom