• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO Dimensions (Wii U/PS4/XB1/360/PS3, $99, September 27, Trailer)

Shancake

http://www.lego.com/en-us/dimensions/

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75P7m7x0Hgc

Minifig Imgur Collection: http://imgur.com/a/x95Az#6xnqOsp

lego-dimensions-page2-portal_1128x492.jpg

lego-dimensions-page3-package_1128x492.jpg

lego-dimensions-page4-logos_1128x492.jpg

ld_gameplayscreen_01.euuia.jpg

ld_gameplayscreen_03.i7s11.jpg

ld_gameplayscreen_07.jush6.jpg

Info:

http://www.polygon.com/2015/4/9/8376101/lego-dimensions-release-date-back-to-the-future-wizard-of-oz

Polygon said:
Following this morning's leak, Warner Bros. Interactive today confirmed Lego Dimensions, a toys-to-life console game that hits Sept. 27 and will blend a variety of universes together including DC Comics, The Lord of the Rings, The Lego Movie, The Wizard of Oz, Lego Ninjago and Back to the Future.

More properties will be announced in the future, according to the press release. The game is in development by Travelers Tales Games and is coming to the Xbox 360, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4 and Wii U. The starter bundle will cost $99.99, according to Toys R Us.

In addition to the game, the Lego Dimensions Starter Pack will include the Lego Toy Pad, which allows players to transport special LEGO minifigures and other LEGO objects into the game, bricks to build the LEGO Gateway, three LEGO Minifigures, including LEGO Batman from DC Comics, Lego Gandalf from The Lord of the Rings and Wyldstyle from The Lego Movie, plus the LEGO Batmobile.

"When kids play with Lego bricks, they build beyond the singular brands, intermixing all of their favorite characters and universes, and we have come up with a way for players to experience that in games," said Jon Burton, Founder and Creative Director, TT Games. "Now for the first time in a videogame, Lego fans can play in the virtual world and in the real world — combining everything without restrictions. Imagine putting LEGO Gollum from The Lord of the Rings behind the wheel of the Lego DeLorean Time Machine in New Ninjago City — the creative play is endless."
Packs planned for release in 2015 include:

A Back to the Future Level Pack with a Lego Marty McFly minifigure
A Lego Ninjago Team Pack with Kai and Cole minifigures
Three Ninjago Fun Packs with Jay, Nya and Zane minifigures
Two DC Comics Fun Packs with Wonder Woman and Cyborg minifigures
Three The Lord of the Rings Fun Packs with Lego Gollum, Lego Gimli and Lego Legolas minifigures
Four The Lego Movie Fun packs with Emmet, Bad Cop, Benny and Unikitty characters
A The Wizard of Oz Fun Pack with a Lego Wicked Witch of the West minifigure

Additional packs to round out the 2015 assortment will be announced in the months leading to launch. Further waves of expansion packs will be released regularly following the launch of the game and into 2016.

Future expansion packs will work with the starter pack "even in the fall of next year," according to the press release.

maxcriden

We must be nearing the bursting point for the toys-to-life bubble. I'm sure Lego TTL will have its appeal, but I wonder if parents won't be getting sick of the expense and clutter.

Rosur

http://press-start.com.au/2015/04/09/lego-to-take-on-amiiboskylanders-with-lego-dimensions/

Seems that the rumours over the past few weeks are correct.

A reddit user has leaked Warner Bros upcoming toy-to-life video game ‘LEGO Dimensions’. A picture was posted of the alleged starter kit which is set to feature the game, a LEGO toy pad, bricks to make a LEGO gateway, a LEGO Batmobile as well as Batman, Gandalf and Wyldstyle.

LEGO-Dimensions-Imgur.png

Wii U only or just Wii U leaked? Might buy this if it is any good and PS4...

Ridley327

So WB is going for a game that mixes up the properties they have rights to. I wonder if this means we'll be seeing Harry Potter in the mix, too.

Wyldstyle? Is she a DJ?

Surprised Lego hasn't done something like this already, given how long Skylanders has been out.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
"When a mysterious and powerful vortex suddenly appears in various LEGO® worlds, different characters from DC Comics™, Lord of the Rings™ and the LEGO® Movie are swept away. To save their friends, Batman™, Gandalf™ and Wyldstyle™ bravely jump into the vortex to rescue their friends and fight to save all of LEGO humanity.
Let your creativity be your guide as you build the LEGO Gateway to adventure, journeying through unexpected worlds and teaming-up with unlikely allies on the quest to defeat the evil Lord Vortech. Play with characters you never thought you could see in a LEGO game together, using vehicles and weapons you never thought possible. LEGO Bad Cop™ driving the DeLorean Time Machineâ¦why not?! The Ninjago Masters of Spinjitsu fighting alongside Wonder Woman™...yes, please! Get ready to break the rules, because the only rule with LEGO Dimensions is that there are no rules.
The LEGO Dimensions Starter Pack is all you need to begin - build your base and embark on a fantastic quest. Included in the LEGO Dimensions Starter Pack:
LEGO Dimensions videogame

LEGO Toy Pad

LEGO Gateway building bricks

3 LEGO minifigures (Batman, Gandalf, and Wyldstyle)

LEGO Batmobile vehicle "
http://www.reddit.com/r/lego/comments/31zfr4/lego_dimensions/

Surprised its 100 dollars on every platform.

Wyldstyle? Is she a DJ?

Surprised Lego hasn't done something like this already, given how long Skylanders has been out.

They probably thought the videogames were enough and decided to catch up recently. They will have some strength tapping into DC as well. They are probably going to end up competing more with Disney Infinity rather than Skylanders. Well, I mean that's probably what they are aiming at anyway.

Rootbeer

Banned
Notice it lists a piece count on the box, just like LEGO building sets. Cool.

I hope the minifigures can come off the bases.

rrvv

"When a mysterious and powerful vortex suddenly appears in various LEGO® worlds, different characters from DC Comics™, Lord of the Rings™ and the LEGO® Movie are swept away. To save their friends, Batman™, Gandalf™ and Wyldstyle™ bravely jump into the vortex to rescue their friends and fight to save all of LEGO humanity.
Let your creativity be your guide as you build the LEGO Gateway to adventure, journeying through unexpected worlds and teaming-up with unlikely allies on the quest to defeat the evil Lord Vortech. Play with characters you never thought you could see in a LEGO game together, using vehicles and weapons you never thought possible. LEGO Bad Cop™ driving the DeLorean Time Machineâ¦why not?! The Ninjago Masters of Spinjitsu fighting alongside Wonder Woman™...yes, please! Get ready to break the rules, because the only rule with LEGO Dimensions is that there are no rules.
The LEGO Dimensions Starter Pack is all you need to begin - build your base and embark on a fantastic quest. Included in the LEGO Dimensions Starter Pack:
LEGO Dimensions videogame

LEGO Toy Pad

LEGO Gateway building bricks

3 LEGO minifigures (Batman, Gandalf, and Wyldstyle)

LEGO Batmobile vehicle "
http://www.reddit.com/r/lego/comments/31zfr4/lego_dimensions/

dat ™

360, PS3, PS4, Xbone, WiiU

No PC?

MrDaravon

We must be nearing the bursting point for the toys-to-life bubble. I'm sure Lego TTL will have its appeal, but I wonder if parents won't be getting sick of the expense and clutter.

Normally I'd agree, but this is LEGO, and on top of that it's any of their properties. Lego + Batman + Lord of the Rings + who knows what else? This will destroy Skylanders and Amiibo assuming they don't totally botch it somehow.

Is it like an open world Lego game you can summon Lego mini figures and vehicles?
I think the $99 price tag might be a placeholder

I'm sure it's a growing market but it's becoming a crowded one. Wonder what the current stakeholders think of this move. I think there's a good argument for a platform holder to implement a standard portal, which can then be customised with clip on plastic to make it fit within a game's universe. There's no point having 4+ of these portals if the genre is here to stay.

RickD

If it's got Ninjago in it.. My son is going to want that...
I wonder how the NFC characters are going to work though? surely you will have to buy static figures and be unable to disassemble them?

georly

So it's just a crossover TT lego game which requires bought toys instead of selectable characters? Ok. I don't see this being nearly as successful as they're probably hoping. I also see retailers getting real tired of this stuff. Now there's 4 toys to life brands in-store. 3 of which basically do the same thing (work on one game set, require a big-ol portal).

Normally I'd agree, but this is LEGO, and on top of that it's any of their properties. Lego + Batman + Lord of the Rings + who knows what else? This will destroy Skylanders and Amiibo assuming they don't totally botch it somehow.
IIRC, DI isn't doing as well as skylanders, or it's comparable and not "destroying" it despite being Disney/Marvel

kadotsu

Banned
So, this seems to be just another Tt style game but the character select menu has been turned into a NFC figure interface. I was hoping for a more build oriented LEGO game.

So it's just a crossover TT lego game which requires bought toys instead of selectable characters? Ok. I don't see this being nearly as successful as they're probably hoping. I also see retailers getting real tired of this stuff. Now there's 4 toys to life brands in-store. 3 of which basically do the same thing (work on one game set, require a big-ol portal).

As long as these things keep selling and it doesn't flood too much more, retailers love this stuff. You can't download the toys (except Disney Infinity PC iirc) so they get all the sales they can, and they sell massive amounts through kids going into the stores and loving the figures.

Klart

I wonder how expensive this will be.

I don't think they'll want to go above Skylanders/Infinity too much. Those starter packs are actually quite cheap (pretty much the same as any new retail game) if you consider you get some figures & a portal next to the game itself.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Here we go.

...But $99.99 seems a bit too much, IMHO. The figures, if priced correctly, could still sell a lot, though.

MrDaravon

IIRC, DI isn't doing as well as skylanders, or it's comparable and not "destroying" it despite being Disney/Marvel

Right, because it's a product that is already very similar to Skylanders. Whereas Lego has been a thing for most people's entire lives, and already has substantial placing in most retailers and toy stores. It's probably not going to be fighting for the same shelf space as the others, it already has one that has been hugely successful. Lego has only been getting bigger and bigger over the years. This is directly tapping into something people already have and are familiar with.

Rootbeer

Banned
i hope that it features building heavily, not just in the real world... i want to build virtual lego worlds.

since disney infinity has a big focus on its creative mode... hopefully LEGO is not bypassing this opportunity

Top Bottom