• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lenovo (accidentally?) announces Ryzen 4000 (mobile) with their new laptops, $360 cheaper than Intel's part

Lenovo’s new AMD Ryzen 4000-powered Yoga starts $360 cheaper than its Intel version

AMD hasn’t even officially announced its Ryzen 4000 processors yet, but Lenovo is already offering us a first glimpse at a laptop that will ship in April with the new chips. The Yoga Slim 7 is new and improved for 2020, and Lenovo is offering two versions of the 14-inch laptop with either AMD’s Ryzen 4000 series chips or Intel’s 10th Gen Core i7.

The choice between Intel and AMD will undoubtedly come down to budget versus performance, as Lenovo is pricing the AMD version of this 14-inch laptop starting at just $849.99 compared to the starting price of the Intel version at $1,209.99.

AMD hasn’t fully detailed its Ryzen 4000 processors just yet, so it’s unclear exactly what chip will power this Yoga Slim 7. We do know that the Ryzen 4000 series is based on 7nm process technology and AMD’s Zen 2 core architecture, though. The $360 gap does suggest that AMD either has a very budget-friendly option available to OEMs or Lenovo isn’t including Intel’s budget chips in the Yoga Slim 7.

02_YOGA_SLIM_7_14INCH_METAL_SLATE_GREY_GLASS_FPR_HERO_FRONT_FACING_RIGHT_AMD.jpg

The Verge.

DESTROYA

I really hope we see more good AMD powered laptops in 2020, there were some good ones with 3000 series in 2019 but manufacturers either gimped them with single channel RAM or the TDP was set so low they never realized there real potential.
Hopefully on 7nm we see some of those restraints removed and more laptops makers use dual channel RAM.

llien

Meh at "performance or value" spin in the OP.
It looks like AMD is poised to repeat what they did in the server market: STOMP all over Intel.

there were some good ones with 3000 series in 2019 but manufacturers either gimped them with single channel RAM or the TDP was set so low they never realized there real potential.
Uh, actually:

HP had amasing x360 envy series, where even 2xxx series Ryzen's rocked.
Lenovo has T495/T595, with no compromise/corners cut.

Last edited:

DESTROYA

Meh at "performance or value" spin in the OP.
It looks like AMD is poised to repeat what they did in the server market: STOMP all over Intel.

Uh, actually:

HP had amasing x360 envy series, where even 2xxx series Ryzen's rocked.
Lenovo has T495/T595, with no compromise/corners cut.
Did you miss the part saying there were some good AMD laptops?

Azurro

Banned
I hope these new CPUs are able to offer similar or better performance than the 8750H and 9750H Core i7s. Almost any laptop with those chips is crazy expensive, it'd be amazing if AMD can change that and with more cores to boot.

llien

A bloody 8 core 16 thread CPU with Vega cores and 15w TDP. DEAR GOD.

Did you miss the part saying there were some good AMD laptops?
After BS statement of "if it's cheaper, it has to be worse" I didn't bother.

Last edited:

llien

Checked the specs again.

Ryzen 4000 (Ryzen 7 4800U to be specific) beats the best Ice Lake chip Intel has (i7-1065G7) in literally every single metric (+4% in single-thread, +90% in multi-thread, & +28% in iGPU)

thelastword

Banned
Remember all the Ice Lake threads we had with leaked benchmarks et al...….How some folk said AMD had no chance in the laptop market?

The Ryzen 4000 APU's destroys icelake and even beats the 9700k in many tests....

DESTROYA

Remember all the Ice Lake threads we had with leaked benchmarks et al...….How some folk said AMD had no chance in the laptop market?

The Ryzen 4000 APU's destroys icelake and even beats the 9700k in many tests....
Is excited as I am for these new AMD 4000U series APU’S I’ll believe that when I see some actual benchmarks and not just some slides shown at a reveal.

Top Bottom