• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Less FPS, more First Person Whatever!

It's unfortunate that some people can't physically play FPSs without getting sick (does the dot in Mirror's Edge not help?), but man don't be hating on First Person games in general! It's pretty much this generation that we got so much variety used with the First Person perspective.

More games using First Person Awareness (being able to see hands, legs, etc) is starting to become the norm which just is a nice evolution from FPSs of yore which was just a floating camera. This is a personal thing, but I just love FPS hands.

* = Not yet released

First Person Puzzler
antichamber3.jpg

Antichamber

qube.jpg

QUBE

ibpFXAuGwMweDo.gif

ibhioXYD8ORzrC.gif

Mirror Moon *

First Person Platformer (sadly lacking)
ihth8VRULPHdm.gif

ixZ0GQ0bRB2M7.gif

Mirror's Edge

You should add inMomentum to the list of first-person platformers.
11110702.jpg

It's mostly geared towards memorization and optimizing your route/timing like a time attack platformer with online scoreboards.

Also Spire (from the makers of Dustforce), first person platformer
tumblr_mladv6PW9U1s3b9x9o1_1280.png

i0L3O592ucnT6.jpg

gpu02.jpg

Purge *

First Person Brawler
iECoJmvlxWRjl.gif

Zeno Clash 2 *

iptaEQlEgj0CA.gif

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare

id84peI9Lwt0K.gif

Breakdown

First Person RPG
gsm_169_legend_grimrock_ot_pc_112811_640.jpg

Legend of Grimrock (really need to give this one a try)

First Person Horror (almost saturated)
ibkDr0Hx44spPY.gif

Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs *

among_the_sleep.jpg

Among the Sleep *

Routine1-600x300.png

Routine *

daylight.jpg

Daylight (from some Condemned and FEAR devs) *

Outlast-2.jpg

Outlast *

10313_condemned-criminal-origins-screenshots-20051029060444320_normal.jpg

Condemned: Criminal Origins

zombi-u-review-4.jpg

Zombi U

Arrival_Slender.jpeg

Slender: The Arrival

First Person Adventure
ibvvqYx38XvoUW.gif

Proteus

Some of the storytelling has been unreal and immersive. The indie scene has really stepped up for sure.

I'd have to give mad props to Gravity Bone and Thirty Flights of Loving for playing a big part here:

images

thirty%20flights%20main.jpg

Thirty Flights of Loving (a heist story told through jump cuts, really fucking cool)

DearEsther-Cave.gif

esther1.jpg

Dear Esther

6859815255_d2ce8390d4_z-613x376.jpg

FRACT *

mobd26.jpg

Memory of a Broken Dimension *

First Person Immersive Sim
Stalker-in-Crysis-627x371.jpg

STALKER

iTr2YpOJcg1QL.gif

iWVyl8QVgBFJi.gif

Dishonored

teabots5.jpg

Sir, You Are Being Hunted *

GoneHome5.jpg

GoneHome2.jpg

i1CzRg3OopiJx.jpg

iQlTugXBmiT7j.gif

Gone Home *
Here's a nice blog post about Gone Home and how it relates to other immersive sims. Which reminds me... you forgot Gone Home!
That was a great read, now even more hyped to OCD put everything back in its place.

First Person Survival
miasmata1.jpg

Miasmata-00013a.jpg

ibtJYHtHUuKiHh.jpg

Miasmata (If you're into chemistry, geography, and getting stalked by a panther monster in the night)

It can certainly add to the immersion for it being first person that's for sure!

Some of these games i have never heard of until now

Would Day Z be considered an immersive sim? You can do loads of cool stuff in it, choices, emergent storytelling yadda yadda buzz words.

BosSin

you missed out Dark Messiah: Of Might and Magic, for Brawler(ish)
and Minecraft for adventure or immersive game

I agree that the first person perspective is not responsible for what's wrong with the genre, but I really do prefer to see the character I'm controlling.

Acheteedo

The problem is the shooting, back in the days of doom, goldeneye, even Halo:CE, there was a thrill in using a gun in a video game. It was a mesmerising use of the video game medium, but it's now been over 20 years since Wolfenstein 3D and the thrill has all but completely disappeared. Shooter after shooter after shooter, it just wears away any novelty it once had. I'm not against first person games, I'm not against using guns in video games, but if your game is centered around killing enemies with a gun, then I'm now, in 2013, completely uninterested in your product.

I'll be salivating when Fallout 4 is announced, but the shooting there is only one of many aspects of that series (well, since F3), it's a means to survive and explore in the real focus of the game - the world! The focus of Halo, CoD, Gears etc is the shooting, and since the shooting doesn't excite me anymore, and there's little else in those games, then I'm left feeling nothing but apathy.

eot

Banned
Would Day Z be considered an immersive sim? You can do loads of cool stuff in it, choices, emergent storytelling yadda yadda buzz words.

I don't know if it's the right word for it because to me the word tends to signify a certain degree of simulation in the enviornment itself, but in some ways it's a multiplayer analogue to an immersive sim.

RedSwirl

Man, almost all of these are indie. The only non-shooter first person game that seems to really be in the mainstream is first person RPGs.

Lime

For some reason I have a harder time feeling attached to the virtual world if it's in first-person. I don't feel "embodied", so to speak.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
More games using First Person Awareness (being able to see hands, legs, etc) is starting to become the norm which just is a nice evolution from FPSs of yore which was just a floating camera. This is a personal thing, but I just love FPS hands.
I can not stand this because the hands and legs are in the wrong places—probably because the FOV can never be anywhere close to right without a VR helmet. Leaves me feeling like I'm a CRT TV/monitor placed on a puppet's head.

I'm all for more first person turn based dungeon crawlers, though. More games like Acquire's take on Wizardry and Etrian Odyssey, yes please. Y'all can keep everything else.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Legend of Grimrock 2 and Might & Magic X are also coming out. Also Grimoire if you're really old-school.
Grimrock and MMX are on my will-buy list but I hadn't heard about Grimoire. Thanks for the heads-up, I'll have to find out more about it.

Edit: WAIT, apparently I have heard of Grimoire but promptly pushed it from my mind because it's probably vaporware and the creator is crazy-go-nuts.

Gbraga

Ooooooh, it's from the guys behind Dustforce! That's why then, I've must have seen one of those shots before.

Dustforce is amazing, can't wait!!

SparkTR

Grimrock and MMX are on my will-buy list but I hadn't heard about Grimoire. Thanks for the heads-up, I'll have to find out more about it.

Edit: WAIT, apparently I have heard of Grimoire but promptly pushed it from my mind because it's probably vaporware and the creator is crazy-go-nuts.

hahaha, that's why I didn't back his indiegogo campaign. Still, I appreciate it's being made and if it is good at release I may give in like I did with Fez. There was a new demo release a month ago which was promising and the release is planned for September (?), but yeah the guy is pretty insane.

Forkball

I always wanted to see Nintendo tackle a real first person game. Yes, I know about Metroid Prime, but Miyamoto expressed interest in first person games at one point and it would be interesting to see what he could come up with.

Also I would not describe Dishonored as a "sim."

JulianImp

You should add inMomentum to the list of first-person platformers. It's mostly geared towards memorization and optimizing your route/timing like a time attack platformer with online scoreboards.

BTW Zeno Clash 2 comes out on April 30th. Here's some gameplay to tide you over (oh god, aiming punches!). If you haven't played the first game, you're missing out one of the craziest worlds and plot twists and the best First Person Melee in gaming yet.

Where is Skyrim, Dead Island and Legend of Grimrock? :> There was also FPP survival game released recently, but forgot the name.

And this Dishonored gif with slide through the window is amazing and yep, it lacks Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.

--
Kairo
http://store.steampowered.com/app/233230/
miasmata1.jpg

Miasmata
Is that the only First Person Survival game? Can't think of anything else. Or maybe Day Z counts into that.

You should add inMomentum to the list of first-person platformers.
11110702.jpg

It's mostly geared towards memorization and optimizing your route/timing like a time attack platformer with online scoreboards.

Fuuuuuuuck!

patapuf

You should add inMomentum to the list of first-person platformers. It's mostly geared towards memorization and optimizing your route/timing like a time attack platformer with online scoreboards.

Uuh, that might scratch my mirrors edge itch. Thx!

Is that the only First Person Survival game? Can't think of anything else. Or maybe Day Z counts into that.

There's always Stalker and, if you mod it right, Fallout NV wiht the hardcore mods.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

This looks just like the Mirror's Edge DLC. Is this a similar game?

Also, I'm always up for more first person platformers.

JulianImp

This looks just like the Mirror's Edge DLC. Is this a similar game?

Also, I'm always up for more first person platformers.

I haven't played Mirror's Edge, so I can't tell you how the games relate to one another.

inMomentum lets you pick up a lot of speed, which is very important for walljumping higher (as in really high when you're going fast enough) and clearing gaps. You also have a bullettime ability you can use for making split-second timing easier (but not by much, as I think the cronometer keeps ticking at its normal rate). The physics are skewed towards incredibly long/high jumps and amazing aerial control (ie: you can chain a long jump into a walljump parallel to your trajectory to clear a very wide gap like the one on the second screenshot), and your goal is picking up those green spheres and going through checkpoint gates until you reach the goal.

Also, there's nothing to the game other than platforming and time trials. No guards, no guns, no helicopters, just abstract levels for you to zoom about at breakneck speeds in a race against the clock.

Here're some more gameplay screenshots for those who are interested (note the GUI on the right-bottom edge of the screen):

Top Bottom