• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lesson learned: Never order used games from Gamestop.com

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So I ordered a few used 360 games from Gamestop.com last Friday. Three of the four showed up today.

Guilty Gear 2 Overture: Completely wrecked, doesn't work.
Darkstar One: Broken Alliance: Also completely wrecked, looks like someone rubbed sandpaper all over the bottom of the disc. Doesn't work.
Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2: Not even the right game, sent me the first game, not the sequel.

Jesus Christ, Gamestop. How can you fuck up an ENTIRE ORDER? I'm beyond pissed right now.

contact customer service, let them know what occurred.

In addition, if you do every wanna get used games from GS, just do it in store. I had better service for used games in store then i did online with them.

Cbajd5

Yeah, unless you get a really good deal it's probably not the best idea to order used games from them online. Although I think you can take them into a store and return them easily or exchange them or something.

During the big sale they had when they were getting rid of the rest of their Gamecube games I learned this pretty well, since most of the good ones were scratched beyond usability. Or had a different game a few times as well. Or just had nothing in the case once.

I was in GameStop yesterday to upgrade my copy of Destiny to The Taken King. It was my first time there in a long time (I hate doing business there. It always feels so gross to walk inside). Anyway, one of their TVs was talking about used games, and how they guarantee that they will work, so I'm sure you can return it with no issue.

YoungOne

I usually have a good experience ordering from them. I don't do it online though I go through the store in which they order it and have it shipped to my house. Sent me two copies of valkyria profile psp once when I ordered and payed for one copy.

Lazulic

ive learned that from in store pickup. had a wii game that came with various food stains on the case. luckily the disk was in playable quality so I just moved the game to another unused case and swapped the cover art. never again though.

dolabla

I say never order new games as well. I ordered a supposedly brand new game for Vita a few weeks ago, only to find out when it came in the mail that it had already been opened with a "New" sticker on it.

I called them and told them that this game wasn't brand new since it wasn't in its factory shrink wrap and I wanted my money back. Heck, the case had scratches on it. I took it to the local store and got my money back. I won't be doing business with them again.

I don't understand how they can legally get away with selling opened games as brand new.

Shenmue

Banned
This isn't an issue with Blu-ray games, only DVD games which are extremely prone to scratching.

I don't hesitate to order used BD games from Gamestop at all.

BiggNife

If you're going to order used games online, do it from Gamefly. Their prices are good, they have frequent sales, and I've never gotten a faulty product from them.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
And it sucks 'cause to be honest, I'm kinda poor. $2.99 for Guilty Gear 2 is the best price I've ever seen for it, and I really want to play it. And none of the stores anywhere near me have any copies.

This whole thing just sucks. ;_; And now I don't have high hopes for the copy of Import Tuner Challenge that's supposed to be here tomorrow.

My biggest gripe with Gamespot is how they just slap a sticker (which is a BITCH to get rid of) on an open case and call it new. If I'm paying money for a new game I want the whole thing to be new, not just the disc.

I've stopped shopping there. I get better deals on Amazon and eBay anyway.

If you have a store near you, just take the games there with the packing split and if they have the games in stock there or around in the district, they can swap it out for you. You have 30 day grace with defective products, even if you ordered it from the website. It's really easy

I say never order new games as well. I ordered a supposedly brand new game for Vita a few weeks ago, only to find out when it came in the mail that it had already been opened with a "New" sticker on it.

I called them and told them that this game wasn't brand new since it wasn't in its factory shrink wrap and I wanted my money back. Heck, the case had scratches on it. I took it to the local store and got my money back. I won't be doing business with them again.

I don't understand how they can legally get away with selling opened games as brand new.

Yea, they changed this some time ago and even online orders for new games will likely get you a gutted copy. They started shipping games directly from various stores, so you are getting their gutted copy. Especially for Vita games. It's a shame, but unfortunately I don't see it changing any time soon.

I took a chance this last week as they had a huge restock with some hard to find games at good prices and they shipped 2 Wii games by dropping the disc down in a bubble mailer. No plastic game case, just the yellow flimsy sleeves to protect it, lol. Too cheap to even send a generic beat up case I guess.

Buying pre-owned games is always a losing gamble because Gamestop never informs you the condition. It happens with this gen, it happens with their new retro service. Just never do it.

RedToad64

Yea, they changed this some time ago and even online orders for new games will likely get you a gutted copy. They started shipping games directly from various stores, so you are getting their gutted copy. Especially for Vita games. It's a shame, but unfortunately I don't see it changing any time soon.

I took a chance this last week as they had a huge restock with some hard to find games at good prices and they shipped 2 Wii games by dropping the disc down in a bubble mailer. No plastic game case, just the yellow flimsy sleeves to protect it, lol. Too cheap to even send a generic beat up case I guess.
Are you saying they sent you a Wii disk enclosed only in bubble-wrap? That's crazy.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Got off the phone with customer service, they didn't even offer me a refund, just replacements (that they swore would be tested this time before sending). Which, I mean, is fine I guess. I really want these games and Gamestop has far lower prices for all of them than anywhere else. Just sucks I have to wait another week now.

And I'm still convinced Import Tuner Challenge isn't going to work when it gets here tomorrow. Either way, never using Gamestop.com ever again.

Maximus.

Yea I bought a used skyward sword and didn't think to check the condition beforehand. The disc was scratched pretty bad. I thought they inspected the games before buying them or selling them, but I guess not.

fernoca

That should be a lesson for every online retailer. For used is why you always buy from places you can see the condition.

Is like buying from someone on eBay without a picture of an used item. At least you can return them to Gamestop and get your money back.

Yea I bought a used skyward sword and didn't think to check the condition beforehand. The disc was scratched pretty bad. I thought they inspected the games before buying them or selling them, but I guess not.
They do. They just leave "badly shaped copies" as last resource. They give you kess credit if you sell an item scratched or damaged.

Yep. I think most of their used game inventory is junk that gets sent back to HQ for "resurfacing."

I ordered like 20 used XB, GC, PS2 games 7 or 8 years ago and every single one came with a "DEFECTIVE" sticker lazily covered up with a blank white sticker.

*remembers the good ol days right before the GameStop/EB "merger" where you could order games from EB online guaranteed with case and manual and get them in good shape

psylah

Not just limited to scratching, Gamestop also fucks up those retro games, as well. A guy ordered a copy of Chrono Trigger for the SNES, and when it showed up, not only was the label clearly a reproduction label (not by GS, they don't relabel carts), when the guy booted it up the board inside was a copy of Madden.

eBay is still preferable to GS at this point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puPIOND5FCw

That's weird because GameStop is usually an amazing store that I enjoy doing business with.

847999.gif

I wouldn't recommend buying used games anywhere if you can inspect them first. Probably best you go to the store from now on. As many have said you can just return them. Save yourself some trouble and take it to the store and exchange them for decent copies of the games you did want if available.

I picked up Iron Man 2 for the PSP when I was on vacation for my son. I didn't even think to check the disc but they had put Mercury Meltdown in instead. How does that happen? Not paying attention and was to busy telling me multiple reasons why I should preorder Madden. I just order from Amazon now.

That's weird because GameStop is usually an amazing store that I enjoy doing business with.

adorable-baby-gifs-blog-muchmusic-com.gif

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Got off the phone with customer service, they didn't even offer me a refund, just replacements (that they swore would be tested this time before sending). Which, I mean, is fine I guess. I really want these games and Gamestop has far lower prices for all of them than anywhere else. Just sucks I have to wait another week now.

And I'm still convinced Import Tuner Challenge isn't going to work when it gets here tomorrow. Either way, never using Gamestop.com ever again.

You can just return them in store if you're looking for a refund.

Vitacat

Wow, that's messed up. I only buy used games in person at Gamestop. I almost never buy "new" games from them, because they open them...

fernoca

Wow, that's messed up. I only buy used games in person at Gamestop. I almost never buy "new" games from them, because they open them...
Not all of them. :p
But yeah, buying used should be done in-store for any item across any retailer. Online is a combination of gambling and luck.

My biggest gripe with Gamespot is how they just slap a sticker (which is a BITCH to get rid of) on an open case and call it new. If I'm paying money for a new game I want the whole thing to be new, not just the disc.

I've stopped shopping there. I get better deals on Amazon and eBay anyway.

Yup. That was the last time I was ever in a Gamestop too. When they pulled my brand "new" disc out from a drawer behind the counter, threw it into a random case, stickered it and handed it over to me at full price... I just walked out shaking my head.

Where had that disc been? Where had the case been? If I'm paying full price, I want to know that my console is the first one that game has seen.

I go to Best Buy now with their Gamers Club discounts and Reward Zone coupons.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
You can just return them in store if you're looking for a refund.

Eh, it's fine. I'm willing to give them one more shot to get it right since, as I said, I really do want these games and they're far cheaper at GS than anywhere else. Not costing me anything but another week of waiting, anyway. If they fuck up again I'll be getting a refund for sure, though.

The End

I'm a bit spoiled at this point. PS3/4 and vita/3ds/ds games are practically indestructible. 360 games were always a bit more finicky.

DJChuy

I remember buying Yakuza 2 "brand new" online, only to discover it was opened and lightly scratched. I went in-store to get a refund, but the cashier insisted it was new. He eventually took it and slapped a used sticker over the new sticker.

Ever since then, I switched to Amazon or Best Buy. Gamestop is my last resort for Collector's Edition.

Never order pre-owned games online from a big company, they're not actually checked, cleaned or repaired, it's just stuff shipped back from stores (and honestly stores will usually ship back the worst condition garbage if they have a chance, so they don't have to try and sell it themselves). At least at a store you can request to see the condition before committing to buy.

Jazz573

Are you trying to say he's making it up? I myself can say I've never had an issue with GameStop (well, EBGames in Canada). Not saying there aren't plenty of people who've had an issue, but making fun of someone just because he had a good experience doesn't make any sense.

Not just limited to scratching, Gamestop also fucks up those retro games, as well. A guy ordered a copy of Chrono Trigger for the SNES, and when it showed up, not only was the label clearly a reproduction label (not by GS, they don't relabel carts), when the guy booted it up the board inside was a copy of Madden.

eBay is still preferable to GS at this point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puPIOND5FCw

this is wack if true, lmao

blacklabel93

Neo Member
I've never had a problem with GameStop. Granted I always go in person. They always have the best selection of old and new games compared to other major retailers

Top Bottom