• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let´s play GTA5 on a CRT

Harlock

M2K0h9a.jpg
qgc5Z6g.jpg
weqm6t4.jpg
tZmbtwb.jpg
K7tCASA.jpg
dMfmLDj.jpg
Uk1JV9g.jpg
WhmMdcv.jpg
ZePe7u8.jpg
NpYB7Im.jpg

Skifi28

Is this the PS3 version? I still have nightmares about the framerate. It was supposed to be a 30fps game, but I don't remember it ever going above 24. Very cinematic though.

Is this the PS3 version? I still have nightmares about the framerate. It was supposed to be a 30fps game, but I don't remember it ever going above 24. Very cinematic though.
if you bothered looking at the very first image you'd see it's running on a PS3 :messenger_unamused:

and you can tell by the minimap it is the PS3 version

PS3 has a more solid bordered map and PS4 version has a more transparent look around it.

Last edited:
People who haven't seen a CRT in nearly two decades shitting on something they don't even remember. Until you see it in person in front of you, you can't really appreciate how pristine the motion clarity is on them. The only thing that comes close is OLED with strobing and that isn't the same because it massively dims the screen. CRT still has merit to this day, if you don't mind the aspect ratio and lower resolution. I enjoy 1920x1440 60hz on my Dell M992 and it looks gorgeous. Puts my 2020 model Asus 1440p 144hz screen to shame in many comparisons.

BlackTron

I came in excited but then realized from the first pic the PS3 UI.

Like you may as well play it on PS4 without any extra tomfoolery because even that still has the legacy aux out (I hate that they removed this from PS4 pro dammit)

I also have philps SD CRT, but for some strange reason picture isnt nearly as pixelated like on your photos. What input you are using? Scart RGB?

Anyway now I'm only using my SD CRT for 240p content (psx and nes/snes games), because 480i and 480p/720p games looks way better on my plasma 1024x768.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
People who haven't seen a CRT in nearly two decades shitting on something they don't even remember. Until you see it in person in front of you, you can't really appreciate how pristine the motion clarity is on them. The only thing that comes close is OLED with strobing and that isn't the same because it massively dims the screen. CRT still has merit to this day, if you don't mind the aspect ratio and lower resolution. I enjoy 1920x1440 60hz on my Dell M992 and it looks gorgeous. Puts my 2020 model Asus 1440p 144hz screen to shame in many comparisons.
Thank you. For being a gaming enthusiast forum, there have been so many dipshit takes as of late. We should be celebrating people doing obscure shit like this, not poo pooing it.

Harlock

I also have philps SD CRT, but for some strange reason picture isnt nearly as pixelated like on your pictures. What input you are using? Scart RGB?

Anyway now I'm only using my SD CRT for 240p content (psx and nes/snes games), because 480i and 480p/720p games looks way better on my plasma 1024x768.
Component video, 480i.
I recorded Blood Dragon in motion. Thus one works very well with CRT.

Component video, 480i.
I recorded Blood Dragon in motion. Thus one works very well with CRT.

Compoment input means you are using HD CRT, so it offers much sharper picture compared to my SD CRT. That's probably why I can't see such pixelation, because everything is blurred in 480i (Svideo or SCART RGB).

Harlock

Compoment input means you are using HD CRT, so it offers much sharper picture compared to my SD CRT. That's probably why I can't see such pixelation, because everything is blurred in 480i (Svideo or SCART RGB).
Component do a better job separating the colors signals. Is kinda of similar to RGB. Is pixeled because the TV is SD.
With Wii and component looks very sharp. Not good as 480p, mas good as 480i can be.

Component do a better job separating the colors signals. Is kinda of similar to RGB. Is pixeled because the TV is SD.
With Wii and component looks very sharp. Not good as 480p, mas good as 480i can be.

I am using a component cables on my Xbox Classic and my PS2 on my plasma, but here in UE very few CRT TVs had component inputs. If your CRT has compoment input it means it accepts 480p, so pixels on your tv should be way sharper compared to my SD CRT with only scart input. I can see such pixelation on my SD (scart RGB) like on your photos, because "pixels" (I know CRTs dont have pixels) on my SD CRT are blurred.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
This is why i hate digital foundry :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I like my old crt with full rgb scart setup for old console.
but no just no

That's how GTA5 (PS3) looks on my SD CRT, picture is way less sharp compared to your HD CRT.

SCART RGB

z2.jpg

S-VIDEO

z3.jpg

SCART RGB has way better colors on my SD CRT compared to S-video, however for some strange reason sharpening doesnt work with this scart RGB input, so picture is extremely soft. Overall I prefer S-video picture because edges are at least somewhat sharp (of course I'm talking about the impressions I get in real life, because these photos looks way different.)

For comparison that's how picture looks like on my 42 inch panasonic 1024x768 plasma.

I have not played GTA5 PS3 version in a long time, so I forgot how good it looked. PS3 version espite running at 24-30 fps was perfectly responsive and playable, IMO even more than PS4 remaster (PS4 version has insane input lag).

DSCF6714.jpg

DSCF6704.jpg

Overall these days I'm not playing on my SD CRT that much, because 480i / 480p content (PS2/xbox) looks way better on my plasma. My plasma has colors comparable to scart RGB on my CRT, but sharpness in better even in 480i, so for example I can easily read what's on the mini map in GTA SA (PS2).

DSCF6688.jpg

asdf.jpg

DSCF6695.jpg

But I want to stress that photos do not do it justice because colors on my plasma looks totally different in real life (more like in this screenshot below from PCSX2 emu).

asdf.jpg

480p component, sharpness is on another level compared to 480i on my CRT.

DSCF6659.jpg

DSCF6666.jpg

But there's one reason why I still keep my SD CRT, and that's 240p.

z7.jpg

My CRT is so bright that my camera was unable to capture the yellow colour. In real life this yellow metal slug title is perfectly saturated, but on the photo these letters look extremely washed out.

z8.jpg

z1.jpg

z6.jpg

z5.jpg

Last edited:
I bought an RG35xx and hooked it up to my Sony Trinitron with a cheap hdmi to a/v adapter. Looks and plays great! My PC is next to my tv so i can game on my CRT anytime.

YgiJtiB.jpg

Composite video isnt very good, that's why this converter was so cheap. Colors are extremely washed out, and sharpness is also very bad compared to RGB scart or component.

Last edited:

lachesis

Well, I have my ps3 connected to a CRT monitor at 720p via hdmi-vga converter, and MGS4 looks quite good…. Only 17”, with letter box to keep it look not elongated, so image is pretty small… but I can’t complain about IQ.

Killer8

There is a strange almost photo-realistic quality that CRT can bring to games that would otherwise not look particularly special in HD. This is one of those cases I think. When I played Gran Turismo 4 on my CRT last year, that was another that I think if I squinted at would look almost photo-real. I think when people say "I remember this looking better", or when a remake comes along and they say "this is what my childhood brain imagined it looking like", part of that was down to the CRT. I'm eager to try out the 7th gen Silent Hill games on a CRT, as they almost look more in line with the quality of the PS2 titles when played that way.

Top Bottom