• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let’s talk 50 Cents Blood on the sand

havoc00

I worked on it. What do you want to know!
I could tell you how "Fiddy" promised us pale, white Brummie Devs a load of G Unit gear and the fucker never delivered on that promise...
Any good bad or fun stories related to working on it ? Any cut content was there plans for a sequel etc

havoc00

None that I remember...it was a fun title to work on and we had pretty free reign from a design point of view.
We maybe had a few too many helicopter bosses ;)
When’s the last time you went back and played it does it hold up in your opinion

SirTerry-T

When’s the last time you went back and played it does it hold up in your opinion
Probably a couple.of years back. I still think it holds up.
It's a daft, fun game, with some nice production values.

There's some clunky stuff in there though but we were a small team (compared to similar games now) and it was our first full UE title, though we had previously worked on a title based on Robert Ludlum's "covert one"...so that was sort of a dress rehearsal for the Fifty game.

It's an unashamedly "B-movie" game and I think that's quite refreshing when a lot of more modern games think they are creating fine art or "furthering the cause". We didn't give a shit about any of that, we just wanted it to look good (which I think it still does), play well and be a game you can have a laugh with.

We had plenty of diverse titles under our belt both as Rage Birmingham and as Swordfish Studios so we were confident we could deliver a decent little game.

Last edited:

havoc00

There's some clunky stuff in there though but we were a small team (compared to similar games now) and it was our first full UE title, though we had previously worked on a title based on Robert Ludlum's "covert one"...so that was sort of a dress rehearsal for the Fifty game.

It's an unashamedly "B-movie" game and I think that's quite refreshing when a lot of more modern games think they are creating fine art or "furthering the cause". We didn't give a shit about any of that, we just wanted it to look good (which I think it still does), play well and be a game you can have a laugh with.

We had plenty of diverse titles under our belt both as Rage Birmingham and as Swordfish Studios so we were confident we could deliver a decent little game.
Was it true it started as like a rainbow six game? If so how did fifty come in the picture and how did you feel when it shifted

SirTerry-T

Was it true it started as like a rainbow six game? If so how did fifty come in the picture and how did you feel when it shifted
Nope, never a Rainbow 6 game. Not to my knowledge anyway.

We had been given the Ludlum license and was prototyping that in UE3 but it never got past the vertical slice stage.
I think once that bit the dust, Vivendi offered us the 50 sequel. We had the Bulletproof assets sent over and took it from there, nothing was re-used from that game though.

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Sucks it’s going for like 50 to 100 bucks at 20 it would be a perfect pickup and it’s bc
Bro I can get it for £5 off Ebay rn on PlayStation 3.

EDIT: Honestly wild someone on this board worked on it. I was making shit posts in college about playing this game when I was like 18 or 19 like "Yo I got DJ Whoo Kid though." And we never even got it. Maybe I SHOULD get it for the culture.

Last edited:

We're in dire need of more developers with this/your mindset, SirTerry-T. There's a reason why this game has become more sought after with time.

Sleepwalker

tNsCLJk.jpg

People really will grade anything these days...

are either bc? Im pissed splatterhouse reboot isnt bc
Dunno.

Btw, here's another; Daymare 1998. It's even getting a prequel called Daymare 1994: Sandcastle.

Games like these mostly fly entirely under the radar these days.

EDIT: Wanted: weapons of fate is another 7th gen game worth checking out in the same vein.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
This game is legit so stupid that it's actually amusing. In the mind of Fiddy, it's okay to invade and commit genocide on a third world Arabic country if there is some jewelry at stake, and by god, he will get it. The fate of the universe depends on it!

H4ze

Fun game, I remember how a friend and I rented it over the weekend and finished it almost in one session.
Should have gotten a copy before prices went up, damn.

Top Bottom