• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's all gawk at gorgeous stylized/minimalist/abstract art styles

Yes, inspired by that stylized vs realistic thread.

Mirrormoon EP
QTu0z5H.png
Z4YqTuc.png

Somerville

Fract OSC & Fulcrum

House of the Dying Sun

The Long Dark

SUPERHOT

FAR

This War of Mine

Cloudbuilt

Deios

The Swapper

Lumino City

Devil Daggers

A Place For The Unwilling

Way To The Woods

ekgrey

Lovely. Thanks for the thread. A few here I hadn't heard of. I think Lovely Planet and Firewatch would fit here, too. Maybe Paper Sorcerer?

edit: Monument Valley, of course. <3

Anno

These kind of visuals are totally my jam these days. They're just so much more interesting than all but handful of games with "realistic" style visuals. I still can't believe how amazing games like Ori and the Blind Forest and Firewatch are.

Needs more Kentucky Route Zero. Aside from the nice art style, those guys know a lot about visual composition.
Honestly, Somerville is kind of becoming my favorite low-poly sidescrolling art style. The dev was an animator/pre-vis artist on movies like Age of Ultron, and is just nailing his look

Scene-Transitions.gif

Some of those in the OP don't feel minimalist or abstract at all, like Swapper and this War of Mine. They're stylize of course, but few games aren't.

23qwerty

Some of those in the OP don't feel minimalist or abstract at all, like Swapper and this War of Mine. They're stylize of course, but few games aren't.

It's about minimalist, abstract, or stylized, not all 3 at once. And sure there's tons of stylized games but not all of them are gorgeous.

Here's a sceenshot from the MMO Wakfu

DwRKQYx.jpg

and here's a shot from Pankapu

x5YjoDx.jpg

They're kind of minimalist, quite abstract, and very stylised. I like them. I think one of the art leads is the same between the two games.

It's about minimalist, abstract, or stylized, not all 3 at once. And sure there's tons of stylized games but not all of them are gorgeous.

That's fine, I mean the games look great, but if The Swapper fits the list then so does Uncharted 4, and therefore, so does just about everything on the market today.

I don't have a problem with that though, I'm just saying it's very open.

I know you wanted to post NaissanceE.

Is that game non-euclidean? I like the look of it and a buddy of mine has an obsession with games that feature non-euclidean geometry.

That's fine, I mean the games look great, but if The Swapper fits the list then so does Uncharted 4, and therefore, so does just about everything on the market today.

I don't have a problem with that though, I'm just saying it's very open.

Is that game non-euclidean? I like the look of it and a buddy of mine has an obsession with games that feature non-euclidean geometry.
Brutalist and otherworldly, not non-euclidean though

As for The Swapper, it's all clay and hand crafted, with a textured molded look. Nothing like Uncharted in any capacity

I always recognized it as brutalist. Not familiar with the term you mentioned.

It can be explained as where the game features geometry that isn't possible in real life. Portal is the most basic example. As soon as a portal exists in the world the world becomes non-euclidean. Manifold Garden is another example, that game looks neat.

It's a description that's independent of the style of the architecture, which as you say, does appear brutalist.

Brutalist and otherworldly, not non-euclidean though

As for The Swapper, it's all clay and hand crafted, with a textured molded look. Nothing like Uncharted in any capacity

I always felt that Uncharted looked stylised though, is what I mean. It looks like a very fine oil painting, in the right light.

Shin-Ra

Surprsed Hohokum wasn't posted yet actually. My fiance and I met the guy who did the artwork for this game at our University, he gave us a code to download it too.

yPP8J64.jpg

lt519

GNOG style reminds me of Hohokum.

Also reminded me I'm excited for Overland, that out yet?

Chrono, stealth edited you on Hohokum like 10 minutes ago :p That game was amazing, music, gameplay, everything.

Come to think of it I made a thread about how awesome that PLAY promotion on PS4 was a couple years ago. Hohokum, Rogue Legacy, CounterSpy, and The Swapper. Rogue Legacy is probably the only one that doesn't fit in this thread.

Top Bottom