• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's appreciate Pocket PC/Windows Mobile as a solid gaming platform

Mobile (smartphone) gaming receives a fair share of good publicity in the last several month, mainly because of indie game developers making a lot of quite good games. I am very happy to hear it since I consider that this market deserves something way better than the flood of adware and freemium-broken entertainment apps. But I think we are forgetting something...

51GXD6QFFWL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
AXIM-400-K4-unit.jpg
41hF7ows-eL._SY300_.jpg

Remember these clunky little devices called Pocket PCs, by the name of Microsoft's operating system (later renamed Windows Mobile) they were powered by? They were aimed at enterprise sector and computer enthusiasts and tried to compete with Palm PDAs in early 2000s. Palm machines were less functional but way more popular due to better usability, better mobility and better price. But in the mid-2000s, Palm failed to keep up with times - their then-current OS was very limited and aged bad, their then-new OS was finished but never released, and they failed to Windows Mobile. Microsoft and its partners had their 15 minutes of market domination until consumer smartphone marked, with the help of iPhone and Android-based devices, destroyed the whole PDA/communicator market by late 2000s to early 2010s.

That was the brief course of history no one ever asked. But the topic I want to discuss now is the fact that Pocket PC, despite its focus on business (look at these tasks and appointments!), was actually one of the best gaming platforms of its time, tragically overlooked by most of people.

As you understand, in reality "Pocket PC" was just a clever marketing move since, well, TI/MIPS/ARM-based device just cannot be compared to x86 PC - mobile gadget is mobile gadget, and nothing more. But if you are talking about games, Pocket PC sure lived to its name. Did you like PC gaming in the 90s? Well, you will definitely love Pocket PC's share of games.

simcity1.jpg
simcity2.jpg

Look, it's a Sim City 2000, a commercial port by ZioSoft! It looks like SimCity, it plays like SimCity 2000 and it have no features cut (like the water system from GBA versions).

17989.gif
ultimaU1%20-%20pocketPC%20-%2001.png

ZioSoft also covered your willing of playing Ultima Underworld on the go. Being the straight carbon-copy-like port, this 3D RPG classic really benefitted from touch controls. Managing invertory, analog walking (one could also move by using D-pad if he or she wanted to) and especially battling made a perfect transition to touchscreen several years before the first popular touchscreen-based handheld (Nintendo DS) was released. It was actually really painful going to mouse controls of the original after playing the Pocket PC version.

Warlords_II_-_PocketPC_Edition_v1.02.12.png
302985.gif

Actually, there was a lot of PC RPGs ported or being adaptated to Pocket PC. I remember diving in Warlords II - Pocket PC Edition for hours and hours, and Palm Heroes (previously Pocket Heroes) was an excellent fan-made adaptation of HoMM III. These are just ones that came first onto my mind.

pockethexen2.jpg
Pocket_UFO_v1.17_beta.jpg
7NKrsA6.png

Of course there was your usual Doom/Quake/Heretic/Hexen interpreters, as well as pretty darn good clone of XCOM (Pocket UFO) and maybe the best portable version of ScummVM interpreter, control-wise. (Look at this toolbar!)

kr2.png

But do not think there wasn't any original games for Pocket PC! For example, K-Rally was a quite good and beautiful arcade racer based on touch controls which actually work wery well (you press physical buttons for throttle, break or boosts and slide the stylus on the screen as it you were dragging the car with the rope). For some reason, I really liked touch-based racing games, and I had two more games of this genre on my favourites list... but, sadly, I just forgot the names and cannot find any information online. (Another proof of the platform being overlooked...) I clearly remember one game being a parody on SW Episode I: Racer, where you had to deliver coffee to aliens.

Hyperspace_Delivery_Boy!_v1.0_ARM.gif

Speaking of deliveries, HyperSpace Delivery Boy by Monkeystone, being originally released on PC, Linux and Pocket PC, was a very fun puzzle-adventure game with light-hearted but interesting plot and dialogues and quite challenging puzzles. It was later poted to GBA by another company, as far as I know.

remhof-sep03-warfare-0.gif
spb-airislands-2.png
300807.gif

There was even a bunch of full-fledged RTS games, like Warfare Incorporated (which, again, benefitted indefinitely from stylus controls), and some interesting mash-ups like SPb AirIslands, combining elements of strategy games and city simulations with Animal Crossing-like real-time nature. It even had a screensaver mode where the game's light version was automatically lauched after several minutes of device idle so your island could live by its own. Speaking of SPb Software House, which made a lot of amasing software for Windows Mobile - I always liked their interpretations of classics like Sudoku, Xonix, Arcanoid and others... (Oh, how could I forgot - they were featured in SPb AirIslands as a way to earn resources! So that game was also a minigame colection.) but my favourite is their take on Brain Training called SPb Brain Evolution. I really liked its minigames and challengens, as well as the process of unlocking different game modes and trivia facts.

So... how much of you owned a Windows Mobile-based device back in the days and what games did you play on it? Finding forgotten or missed games for it becomes really hard due to the lack of centralised and living places to duscuss the platform, as well as the fact that nobody cares for it. And that's actually pretty sad since, as you see, there is a lot of stuff available for these devices, despite the willing of everyone to present them as business-only device of the past era. I hope that this lenghty post will somewhat helps to keep the legacy and awareness of Pocket PC's past glory.

I used to play age of empires on my pocket PC when I was in school.

aoeanimated.gif
shortkeys.jpg
age-of-empires-6.jpg
aoe3.jpg

Oh god, there was an Age of Empires for PPC? I have to check it out. Too bad my PDA is gone... maybe I should find one used - to be honest, making of this topic reminded me about all these great games and how much I would like to play them now.

Krejlooc

Banned
Ha, I had both the dell pocket PC and the HP one listed in the OP. I remember playing a master system emulator on them and being amazed. This was just before I got my GP32.

OP has my respect for exploring an underdiscussed area of gaming.

Ha, I had both the dell pocket PC and the HP one listed in the OP. I remember playing a master system emulator on them and being amazed. This was just before I got my GP32.

I had the HP one (iPAQ hx2190, IIRC), but it had a defective touchscreen with the dead zone on the center appearing after the year of usage. It wasn't very big, but it was right in the center, as a result, my PDA rendered useless after the hard reset and obligatory caibration I couln'd do. Fortunately it was on warranty so I got it exchanged for rx1950 (and a bunch of discs with games):

kZad0DR.jpg

So many fond memories about it. So many games played, articles being written, programs and modifications being applied. It also had a Wi-Fi which was practically more useful than BT of hx2190, but it lacked CF slot and its IrDA wasn't powerful enough to use it as a TV remote. The charger/data cable is what failed me - it is the reason I cannot use this PDA anymore.

Pejo

Gold Member
D6PfW.jpg

Only kidding. I had an amazing little PDA with Pocket PC at my first IT job. I had a ton of fun with that thing and a few games.

Denton

I had HP iPaq. Wonderful little device. Helped me pass few tests in university, and let me play wonderful Gameboy games like Zelda Links Awakening via emulator. And played TV shows for me on the move. Kinda like what smartphone does for me now, except this was around a decade ago.

Hell yes, I made a similar topic about gaming on the Palm, but I never even thought about gaming on Pocket PCs. I could imagine they were much more capable devices. The Palm only had a GB emulator, I bet Pocket PC expanded out to the NES and other assorted home console emulators, not to mention GBC.

How was the refresh on the screens? There was definitely a lot of ghosting on the Palm I had that made games with a lot of motion a little blurry.

Hell yes, I made a similar topic about gaming on the Palm, but I never even thought about gaming on Pocket PCs. I could imagine they were much more capable devices. The Palm only had a GB emulator, I bet Pocket PC expanded out to the NES and other assorted home console emulators, not to mention GBC.

I think it was up to SNES, although none of my PDAs was able to play SNES games, mostly because of 300 MHz processors and about 12 Mb free RAM maximum (around 20 after hard reset).

Oh, and Pocket PCs were comparable with Nintendo DS in terms of 3D rendering. Even my low-budget devices run some of 3D games (with quite nice graphics) perfectly, although the ost of them crashed on startup due to RAM shortage.

How was the refresh on the screens? There was definitely a lot of ghosting on the Palm I had that made games with a lot of motion a little blurry.

It was so smooth that I am thinking afout refresh problems of Pocket PC screens for the first time in my life.

By the way, the link to your thread would be much appreciated!

No. Just no. I think I speak for everyone who has ever had to program for Windows Mobile when I say f*ck Windows Mobile. F*ck it with a vengeance (whatever that implies). It deserves no praise, no nostalgia, no credit.

Bio-Frost

Used to have a pocket pc that I would play Doom on every once and awhile. Still think i have it if I can manage to dig it up.

I had a Casiopeia in high school around 2001. It was really cool at the time for someone like me who was into emulation and mobile gaming, but it was incredibly clunky and slow for a lot of basic tasks, and the battery life was probably a few hours at most. PocketPC was definitely way ahead of its time since other contemporary devices and even ones up until smartphones took over were missing out on a lot of what they did.

Krejlooc

Banned
No. Just no. I think I speak for everyone who has ever had to program for Windows Mobile when I say f*ck Windows Mobile. F*ck it with a vengeance (whatever that implies). It deserves no praise, no nostalgia, no credit.

I still write windows CE apps, you don't speak for me.

Alric

Oh man I bought my little Pocket PC Dell just to play "The Quest" by redshift. Totally worth it. It's now available on IOS or PC. Shame it's not on Android I'd of bought a 3rd copy with all the expansions.

320-5.jpg
mzl.zwtfifqs.480x480-75.jpg
q23shot1.jpg

Hell yes, I made a similar topic about gaming on the Palm

I've found your thread here, and I have to say that I played few of your games on Pocket PC!

17664.gif

Solskia was... I dunno, to be honest. Yes, there were quests and items and weapons and other RPG stuff, but the lack of combat whatsoever (you just tap on the enemy, then wait a minute or two to defeat it or run/use items if you're low on health), as well as some bugs connected with battling enemies, will probably prevent me from enjoying the game now. But... I remember playing this game for a fair amount of time back then. The dialogues were interesting.

air-01.gif

And I loved pseudo-Arkanoid mode on Air Hockey 3D! And, yes, as you stated in that thread, controls worked excellently.

I will try to dig out few more Pocket PC games and their names - I recently found a bunch of free CDs from computer and IT magazines I used to try PPC games from, as well as back-ups of SD card of my PDA. Maybe they will shed light on some of names and games. I remember some very Star Fox-y objective-centered 3D shooter with pretty nice visuals... I really want to remember its name.

neoflcl

Gee, sounds like I was missing out! Pretty crazy how faithful some of those ports are.

I've always been curious about Pocket PC/Windows Mobile as a whole. In retrospect, they strike me as pretty ahead of their time, and these games definitely seem to confirm that to a degree.

How was the actual OS? Anyone have any experience using these things for productivity back in the day?

Oh man I bought my little Pocket PC Dell just to play "The Quest" by redshift. Totally worth it. It's now available on IOS or PC. Shame it's not on Android I'd of bought a 3rd copy with all the expansions.

320-5.jpg
mzl.zwtfifqs.480x480-75.jpg
q23shot1.jpg

It seems that the publisher (Chillingo) removed the ability of buying the PC version from their site entirely. :(

That's actually the huge problem with buying Pocket PC/Windows Mobile software in general - a lot of companies went bankrupt, merged with other companies or just shut the distribution of the software, and very often they are doing it just because of web site update! Considering that a lot of stuff was digital-distributed only, this places a lot of software in legal limbo.

How was the actual OS? Anyone have any experience using these things for productivity back in the day?

It had its share of problems like battery life time far from being excellent or RAM leaking, but it was a pretty capable platform. Pocket Office/Office Mobile suite was dope, especially the Excel, and I did a lot of work with documents on my PDAs. Some third-party solutions like Softmaker Office (a full-fledged office suite; basicaly, Office 2003 in a pocket) or SPb Shell (multi-tabbed schedule/e-mail widget for Today screen) made the experience better, and I have to say that multimedia capabilities and multitasking were actually better than ones of the early Android smartphones (till the 2.3), considering you picked up the right software.

But it was mostly a geek toy for me.

So, after digging through my files, I remembered a bunch of other games (not all I wanted to remembe, sadly). I am actually ashamed of forgetting about the port of King's Bounty - I played through it as much as I played through Warlords II. Of course, Warlords II was more expansive and deep, but I cannot say King's Bounty was less fun.

58754.jpg
58756.jpg

Snails was a fun Worms clone which I liked more then the actual port of Worms World Party I also had, mainly because of aesthetic. And, for some fucked up reasons, its official site, http://snailsgame.com/, is now the Japanese stomatological portal. Wat.

58520.gif
329907.jpg

The company Astraware made a lot of time-killers, incuding adaptaions of PopCap classic. The Astraware game I remember the most was Rocket Mania.

720256.gif

For some reason, it, as well as, as I suppose, other Astraware games worked only on my first PDA and not on the second, despite their similarity in hardware specs and identical software/OS version. Maybe it had something to do with the processor of the first PDA being Intel XScale and the processor of the second one being the part of Samsung's system-on-chip.

312217.gif

And here's the example of 3D Pocket PC game, Chopper Alley 3D, an helicopter simulator with quite a lot of missions and quite realistic, for mobile game, controls system. As far as you see, this is N64 kind of graphics, which is actually not that bad considering the game is older than the DS, which had slightly less advanced visuals than the N64.

Top Bottom