• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's convince Nintendo to go region-free!

Defending Nintendo's stance on Region Locking : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr3kXe2uu-8

dlCA7rp.gif

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Is this a troll video? That "10 year old kids whining" part was ridiculous.

No, this is what happens when people are so enarmored with a company their head will perform the most inane mental gymnastics that would put Cirque Du Soleil to shame. It's fairly horrifying.

No, this is what happens when people are so enarmored with a company their head will perform the most inane mental gymnastics that would put Cirque Du Soleil to shame. It's fairly horrifying.

I can understand not caring about Region Lockiing, but I can't wrap my head around the idea of defending or supporting it. It offers no benefit to the consumer whatsoever.

Bombadil

Banned
That guy's defense made very little sense to me.

If Nintendo cares so much about measuring which markets are successful for a game, why the fuck doesn't it just launch the games in all markets at the same time, and ensure that the game comes with language support for those regions?

Drago

That guy's defense made very little sense to me.

If Nintendo cares so much about measuring which markets are successful for a game, why the fuck doesn't it just launch the games in all markets at the same time, and ensure that the game comes with language support for those regions?
The way they're handling Pokémon X/Y is how they should handle all their games; simultaneous worldwide release.

Or they could at least release all of their games within a week of each other.

Dark Rider

Signed and tweeted.

I think Nintendo look at the 3DS sales (a region locked system) and tell themselves region locking is not a major problem sales wise because our region locked handheld is selling like hot cake.

I think Nintendo will try to please us only when they find themselves bleeding on both fronts console and handheld because they will basically hanging from a cliff. For now with the 3DS printing money for them they will keep their ivory tower stance regarding core gamers.

When selling luxury products that nobody needs to survive, excellent customer service is paramount. We should absolutely be seeing simultaneous worldwide releases with as many languages as possible for as many games as possible. If official releases arrive faster than shipping for an import and prices are set reasonably, then blocking the games that never get localized becomes even more pointless. Providing region-free gaming is good customer service and drives consumer adoption of expensive consoles and a wider library to match. Maintaining region-locking and remaining anti-consumer is not what you want to do when trying to sell a luxury ecosystem.

L Thammy

The way they're handling Pokémon X/Y is how they should handle all their games; simultaneous worldwide release.

Or they could at least release all of their games within a week of each other.

Not always possible. Pokemon X/Y is text only, as far as I know, so scripts would be easy to change. Plus, it has an international company dedicated to managing the franchise. That makes globalization much easier.

Compare it to something like Zangeki no Reginleiv that's fully voiced. It would take much longer to localize. The Jump games have horrible licensing issues that would have to be dealt with; Jam with the Band would probably require changes to music before it can be released worldwide.

No. Fils-Aime shouldn't have to answer questions he's in no position to answer. I understand people are angry at stupid anti-consumer policies, but let's be reasonable.

Thats his job to be prepared to answer these questions. People shouldnt withhold questions just because of the title that an employee holds. He's an employee of a company, he's not exempt. The reason Nintendo continues to pull this shit is because the media especially refuses to hold its feet to the fire. If the game media wont then its great when fans will.

Defending Nintendo's stance on Region Locking : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr3kXe2uu-8

This is a shame because I previously enjoyed watching this person's videos. I'm almost tempted to create a YouTube account just to respond to him in his comments. I've been following his responses, by the way.

I can't say that I'm a big expert on business practices such as this, but I think many people are missing the big points. Here are some defenses I've been hearing.

Nintendo needs to region-lock so they can gather appropriate data and monitor sales between regions.
- There are probably similar versions of this argument, but I just made one from memory. The common rebuttal is that importers are a very small minority that will not affect Nintendo's data substantially. However, the quickest counter would probably be:

So if hardly anybody imports games, why bother making them region-free?
- Personally, this is a rather disgusting defense. It might not affect you, but it does affect others. The biggest offense is assuming region-lock only affects those who import Japanese games. This is much bigger than importing, especially in the case of the 3DS. People travel with the thing! What if they buy a game while on vacation? What if an American buys his/her child a 3DS while on vacation in Europe? That 3DS would be useless once they return to America. It's not as though region-locking is common consumer knowledge, and blaming the ignorance of consumers will not be effective if similar devices from competitors are not region-locked. Even in these cases, some people still cling to the argument that it only affects a small percentage of people. So? We have specific examples in which region-locking hurts people. Can you come up with a situation where region-locking helps you as a consumer?

If people import Japanese games because they are not localized, that will reduce sales of a game in a region in the event the game really does get localized. This hurts me because it reduces the potential of games to actually get localized.
- This is actually the first time I've heard this one. I'm probably using the wrong term, but this sounds like a false dichotomy. You are giving us the ultimatum between region-free and more localizations when it hasn't even been proven that there is any correlation between the two. This is all hypothetical which, to my knowledge, has no precedent. On the other hand, we have very real situations where consumers are negatively affected by the presence of region-locking. Furthermore, this argument again focuses on merely importing titles that are not localized when region-locking affects more than niche importers.

I apologize; I'm rambling by now, and I feel like I'm talking to people who aren't actively reading this thread. After all, NeoGAF is essentially united against region-locking; you all don't need further convincing. However, I think I just needed to let my two cents out. Maybe those with a YouTube account can use my thoughts.

Seriously, that WiiFolderJosh video will be the first and hopefully only time I ever get into a debate on Youtube. I'm not the argumentative type. ._.

Skyzard

Banned
I don't think it's good manners to put a figurehead on the spot like that.

That's true as well.

Though she was only asking if he could help implement it with the next console. His reaction seemed really reluctant and I assume he is somewhat aware about regional stuff.

Domstercool

Nintendo already stated they already had plans to bring those titles over and that Operation Rainfall didn't strongly influence their release. "Very SUCCESSFUL" is definitely an overstatement as far as their sales go. Simply saying "Oh just import the PAL version" and play it on your region free system is not helping the NA market.

That was one of his replies to a question abut Operation Rainfall.

This answer shows me that he hasn't done his research...

That was one of his replies to a question abut Operation Rainfall.

This answer shows me that he hasn't done his research...

*sigh* I don't know if I'll be able to make him reconsider or not. I really respect him as a person (I've been subscribed to his channel for a few years now), but I simply cannot side with him on this.

Josh makes such obvious holes in his arguments. He is saying you should buy a Japanese system for eShop access (and cheaper games) when failing to realise a region free system has a good chance of having that access anyway (otherwise, how could you buy DLC for imported games*). Then the whole save money well...if it breaks you've lost everything and you need to buy like 20 games before you pay back buying the hardware. In other words for someone who just wanted Reingielv (sp), Xenoblade and The Last story they're better breaking the region lock.

Then there is the matter of sales. NOA is losing (nay, bleeding) Xenoblade sales by refusing to reprint it. I mean in Europe you can search around and find copies for 50 Euro new still while in America the cheapest used copy will be like $70.

*-I'll give Nintendo credit here. Many (?all?) PS3 games the DLC is country specific. As in if you own UK uncharted 3, the Spanish DLC won't work with it.

Jam with the Band would probably require changes to music before it can be released worldwide.
It came out in Europe. It is keeping Rhythm Paradise and Sight Training company in the forgotten bargain bins of Saturn and MediaMarkt (I think they were less than 5 Euros even).

meppi

Not even gonna bother to respond on his channel, but that was a load a crap.
He doesn't want to "rattle our cages" yet he ridicules us as a whole because he buys a Japanese system anyway and doesn't see the problem of having to do so to play Japanese games.
What a load of bullshit.

His whole point of dehumanising the group of people and calling them "the internet" in an as dismissive term as possible was just offensive.
Been subscribed to his channel for years now, but I had no idea he was such an asshole.
The sentiment of "we all have to protect Nintendo because they are a very special company" is headache inducing as well. Not the first time I've encountered this on this very topic.
People can be so dense...

The sentiment of "we all have to protect Nintendo because they are a very special company" is headache inducing as well. Not the first time I've encountered this on this very topic.
People can be so dense...

It's disturbing when people get so protective of a company. It's like a religion to them. At least there haven't been any game dev assassinations over "betrayaltons" so far.

mclem

I do think it's fair to suggest that Nintendo are making some games no-one else really seems to be able to make; I think it's understandable to have a fear that if Nintendo were to go away, no-one would rise up to fill those gaps. Where's the large world puzzle-led action adventure like Zelda? Darksiders was the closest, and that's not that similar. Where's the exploration-based FPS like Metroid Prime? Where's the fighter/platformer hybrid like Smash? There's PSASBR, but will we see another of those?

I think that's the logic that makes people perhaps a bit zealous in defense of the company; not the company itself, but the fact that in the major marketplace, they're the only folk doing certain things.

...not that this in any way justifies the defenses, which *are* rubbish. I'm just musing on the psychology behind it.

meppi

It's disturbing when people get so protective of a company. It's like a religion to them. At least there haven't been any game dev assassinations over "betrayaltons" so far.

Absolutely.
I love Nintendo myself and never even got upset with the Wii or it's games like many others did, simply because it did get a large amount of great titles in the end, even if you had to do a bit of research and look for them sometimes.
But to blindly defend everything from 50Hz VC games to region locking...I just can't wrap my head around it.

When Iwata mentioned the region locking around E3 and stated the following:
From some people’s perspective, it might seem like a kind of restriction. However, we hope people can appreciate the fact that we’re selling our products worldwide. There are many different regions around the world, and each region has its own cultural acceptance and legal restrictions, as well as different age ratings. There are always things that we’re required to do in each different region, which may go counter to the idea that players around the world want the freedom to play whatever they want.
...I hope that game fans can understand that the industry isn’t doing this solely out of business ego. There are some reasons behind it.
I have to to say I do understand where he is coming from.
But at the same time, when someone imports a game from another region, Iwata shouldn't feel like it's his responsibility to make sure that software is cultural acceptable or has legal restrictions in the region where the publisher isn't selling the actual software to begin with.

Clearly when a consumer is willing to go through the trouble of buying items from different locations through importers, they are fully aware that those games might be created with a certain local flavour.
Like I said, I understand where Iwata is coming from, but he shouldn't feel the need to protect a very small portion of consumers from themselves.

danielcw

Nintendo said no to the Op Rainfall guys loads of times before they finally gave in. Same with Microsoft more recently regarding X1 DRM.

Campaign should continue, don't back down.

Nintendo said no to Operation Rainfall loads of times? as in once? thrice? per game?

When did Microsoft say no?

Top Bottom