• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's convince Nintendo to go region-free!

L Thammy

Has anyone tried spreading this to Japanese users? You could explain that unlocking the eShop could give Japanese users access to more indie games. Attention on that side could get this closer to NCL.

DaBoss

I don't see them ever unlocking the eShop. That would mean that people in a region with higher prices would be able to pay lower prices using another region.

I don't see them ever unlocking the eShop. That would mean that people in a region with higher prices would be able to pay lower prices using another region.

That's really the root of the problem, isn't it? Wanting to enforce price discrimination, or rather price-gouging.

Somnid

That's really the root of the problem, isn't it? Wanting to enforce price discrimination, or rather price-gouging.

Pretty much. If they want to localize something like Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter and make it work they can't sell it like they do in Japan. Not sure there's a good solution to that. I guess they could keep the different language versions as separate software but that kinda sucks too.

Again, the PAL 3DS allows this to an extent. By switching from the Australian eShop to the UK one, I can save a fair bit on certain games.

Kater

Banned
I participated in the battle again region-locking by writing messages on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube. I informed friends and talked with some people on a Steam chat about it.
I really hope that this movement doesn't just stop or dies anytime soon and that we get from Nintendo what we in the movement as any other customer of Nintendo deserves. :)
Also, do you think that the Mods allow anti region-lock doodles on the Colors 3D Gallery?

Having the online store feature products from various regions might be exponentially more difficult than removing the region-lock, as the current state of affairs is actually the industry standard.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Having the online store feature products from various regions might be exponentially more difficult than removing the region-lock, as the current state of affairs is actually the industry standard.

That's not what people are asking for though. We want to be able to purchase the physical products from wherever and play them.

Somnid

That's not what people are asking for though. We want to be able to purchase the physical products from wherever and play them.

People should ask for it because physical-only is shortsighted. Not only will digital likely start taking over this gen, I would imagine physical has maybe 10 years left in it. We need to start thinking about these things now.

Whats up with the e3 demo request movement?

They don't understand that E3 demos are inherently unstable, aren't certified for release, and require people to watch the systems for crashes and to manually reset. Actually going through the process of certifying demos for release would further slow down development, resulting in later release dates.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, the WiifFolderJosh guy who made that inane video has now disabled comments and ratings for that video. The equivalent of taking your toys and going home. Cowardly.

L Thammy

Whats up with the e3 demo request movement?

Is it a movement, though? People have been asking Nintendo for stuff since day one. Perhaps they now feel more empowered.

Wow, the WiifFolderJosh guy who made that inane video has now disabled comments and ratings for that video. The equivalent of taking your toys and going home. Cowardly.

Didn't see the whole video, but if he did dismiss a group of twenty thousand with "you're just whiny kids" than he should expect a backlash. Don't dish it out if you can't take it.

DaBoss

Dunno Miiverse E3 comunnity is pretty much spammed with requests for the bestbuy demos to be uploaded on eshop.

You've got people here on NeoGAF doing that too. It isn't really a movement. It is exactly what Cheesemeister said. People who aren't understanding how E3 demos work.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Is it a movement, though? People have been asking Nintendo for stuff since day one. Perhaps they now feel more empowered.

Didn't see the whole video, but if he did dismiss a group of twenty thousand with "you're just whiny kids" than he should expect a backlash. Don't dish it out if you can't take it.

It's pretty much the extent of his arguing skills.

Also, his defense of removing the ability to comment and rate the video doesn't really make sense as I assume turning off ratings and comments are two separate things.

It's pretty much the extent of his arguing skills.

Also, his defense of removing the ability to comment and rate the video doesn't really make sense as I assume turning off ratings and comments are two separate things.
I've seriously never heard of this guy before that region-locking argument video was posted a page or two back. Is he some well known youtube personality or something? I just don't get why people would expect an objective view on the whole issue from somebody who right off the bat presents themselves as a die-hard Nitnendo fan.

Was that just a one-off video and is he normally more level-headed about issues surrounding the company he's attached to?

Nullptre

Neo Member
I'm beating a dead horse, but this rustled my jimmies pretty damn hard.

Po5Qffy.png

Also, there is a Japanese dub for Adventure Time, so that's one reason that may interest them (US only game).

Nilaul

I'm beating a dead horse, but this rustled my jimmies pretty damn hard.

Po5Qffy.png

Also, there is a Japanese dub for Adventure Time, so that's one reason that may interest them (US only game).
Going on holidays with your 3ds ain't your typical situation. LOL

Kater

Banned
Yesterday at the electronic store I heard a girl asking if she can play the games from here on her 3DS. The clerk checked her handheld and said to her "Sorry, but Nintendo has this Region-Lock thing and so you can't play this game on your 3DS."
She was rather disappointed.
Just wanted to share this. Nintendo loses out on money and just inconveniences people with Region-Lock.

He said that everyone should just buy a Japanese 3DS to play the games they want to play. Guy is a joke in my eyes. Or he has too much money.

Why isn't it? It seems perfectly normal to me. Why shouldn't you take some kind of portable entertainment (be it a book, a deck of cards or a 3DS) with you to kill dead time on a flight, or when waiting, etc.

Speaking of people named Josh, if you want to give a virtual pat on the back to Josh Stevens, the person who created the petition on change.org, you can find him on Twitter at @Joshawott.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of people named Josh, if you want to give a virtual pat on the back to Josh Stevens, the person who created the petition on change.org, you can find him on Twitter at @Joshawott.

Best Josh.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

At Anime Expo, we asked Namco Bandai if they will bring One Piece: Romance Dawn here since other titles have been confirmed for North America. Unfortunately, a representative said to Siliconera there are "no plans" to release One Piece: Romance Dawn in North America.

One Piece: Romance Dawn is slated for release in November 2013 in North America.

YGzDPPi.gif

DaBoss

So they changed their mind about about Evo, but that had a lot more support than this and this was more likely an NoA decision.

Well don't you look silly, lol.

The Evo thing proves Nintendo knows how to backpeddle.
He doesn't look silly. The fact that they even tried to stop the stream in the first place is ridiculous. What it does mean is that we've got to "rabble rabble rabble " our asses off to get their attention.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
So they changed their mind about about Evo, but that had a lot more support than this and this was more likely an NoA decision.

Still, it's a positive signal, regardless of how absurd it was they shut it down in the first place. Hope people continue their efforts for this campaign even if it looks dire.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I more meant his assertion that because of that Nintendo would never go back on anything like region locking. Companies flip flop all the time (Evo Q.E.D.)

The region lock problem is going to take a lot more effort than EVO, but the events that transpired here is rather awe-inspiring nonetheless.

When I look at it on the surface, the EVO situation seems to be Nintendo Legal making a stupid kneejerk decision, only to have the Marketing department smack them over the head and overrule them. So it may be a bit difficult to directly compare that to what we have here, where it's not just the legal department with their fingers in the cookie jar.

I honestly think the Smash being at EVO decision was reversed because of the breast cancer charity angle that got it there in the first place. If that got out to the mainstream press Nintendo was banning something tied-into that, no matter how tenuous that link was it would be an absolute fucking PR disaster for Nintendo.

Region-locking while crap is never going to inspire that kind of controversy
unless someone dies due to it somehow

GamerJM

Banned
I honestly think the Smash being at EVO decision was reversed because of the breast cancer charity angle that got it there in the first place. If that got out to the mainstream press Nintendo was banning something tied-into that, no matter how tenuous that link was it would be an absolute fucking PR disaster for Nintendo.

Region-locking while crap is never going to inspire that kind of controversy
unless someone dies due to it somehow

What if there's a Japan-only Wii U game about ending cancer?

Pociask

What if there's a Japan-only Wii U game about ending cancer?
Let's run it through the Regginator Release App, to see if that game would make it over or controversially stay Japan only:

1. Does game feature Mario, Link, or Pokemonz?
If yes, prepare body for publishing.
If no, eat an entire Bigfoot Pizza, and go to 2.
2. Did eating the entire Bigfoot Pizza cause gas?
If no, call up Treehouse, and make sure they take as long as possible to translate game for release.
If yes, release game silently if you can't hold it back.

I more meant his assertion that because of that Nintendo would never go back on anything like region locking. Companies flip flop all the time (Evo Q.E.D.)

They do, but region locking at least makes sense in an outdated, greedy type of way. The kind of decision made around EVO is just mind blowing, reversed or not.

DaBoss

Out of curiosity, are japanese gamers interested in region free? Since they always get the best goddies =P

The OP lives in Japan and is interested in games not released in North America. I think that Adventure Time game is one specifically mentioned, but I'm sure there are others.

Out of curiosity, are japanese gamers interested in region free? Since they always get the best goddies =P

Yes, Japanese gamers view region-locking as very undesirable, but are very hesitant to sign a petition or use their real names anywhere on the Internet out of privacy fears.

Yes, Japanese gamers view region-locking as very undesirable, but are very hesitant to sign a petition or use their real names anywhere on the Internet out of privacy fears.
Can't they just sign the petition anonymously?

I also imagine there's a decent portion of Japanese gamers who don't get certain heavily-western based games who'd like to import them, just like how the opposite is true for western gamers.

Top Bottom