• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's cut the ******** What's your Top 3 choices for Next-Gen now?

Marathon

Sony's DrGAKMAN
1. PS3
2. PS3
3. PS3

The novelty of the Rev has worn off after going through the Wii name fiasco.

The 360 is a piece of fucking garbage. A technological turd. I don't know why Microsoft even bothered to show up at E3. They aren't relevant to the next gen console race to anyone outside of the 5-10 million hardcore Xbox/Dreamcast freaks out there. They should continue to turn their attention to Vista gaming.

Marathon said:
1. PS3
2. PS3
3. PS3

The 360 is a piece of fucking garbage. A technological turd. I don't know why Microsoft even bothered to show up at E3. They aren't relevant to the next gen console race to anyone outside of the 5-10 million hardcore Xbox/Dreamcast freaks out there. They should continue to turn their attention to Vista gaming.
I like this post.
Just for the hilarity factor.

I imagine I'll be sticking with Wii and 360 for a while until the PS3 comes down in price. Before the conference I was sure that it would be a Wii / PS3 combo. I'll still get me a PS3 for sure but it's just too steep to enter at.

Marathon said:
1. PS3
2. PS3
3. PS3

pretty much agreed. Microsoft and Nintendo looks to be in big trouble. The only thing keeping them in the game now is the high PS3 entry point.

pestul

Count Chocula said:
pretty much agreed. Microsoft and Nintendo looks to be in big trouble. The only thing keeping them in the game now is the high PS3 entry point.
You guys are fucking hilarious. $600 pricepoint pretty much guarantees the PS3 won't be catching 360 until late into nextgen.. most likely never (not accounting for a massive pricedrop next E3 that is).

Oh and..

Pre-E3:
Wii
PS3

Post-E3
360/Wii
PS3

Marathon said:
1. PS3
2. PS3
3. PS3

Hehe, youre joking right?

Too bad the PS3 doesnt have any games. :lol

Gio_CoD

Banned
1.) Wii
2.) Xbox 360
3.)

Wii looks like an insane amount of fun. Halo 3 looks beautiful and I'm really interested in Too Human.

I can honestly say that, aside from MGS4, there wasn't one game that interests me on the PS3. Couple that with a $600 entry fee, and I think I'm going to pass on Sony this generation. I just hope to God that Konami ports MGS4 to the 360. If they do, I'm buying an Xbox ASAP.

PolyGone

Banned
Sony doesn't have anything to show from Ueda-san yet. That will be the deciding factor for me probably. 360 doesn't have any games I am interested in until a big ? next year. And the Wii was by and large pretty disappointing games-wise.

I think this TGS will be more of an eye-opener.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
It was 360 and PS3.

Now its 360 and Wii.

If I can somehow afford a ps3 when the time comes,all three,but I cant see that happening now :(

scaffa

Pre:

1. Wii
2. X360
3. PS3

Now:

1. Wii
2. X360
3. PS3

Wii purchase day one, will be a nice addition next to my x360.

rod

Banned
no console is worth $600USD...as awesome as mgs4 looked...and will be...no...just no. not $600.the way sony played theyre card last E3 (pretty much clamouring that the ps3 would destroy the x360 in power) and what we see now, is graphics that look great, some average and some horrible. but id say honestly the x360 and ps3 will be SO close this gen in terms of gfx. i had little to no interest in wii, but wow have they delivered. right now tho, 360 is winning imo. they have little to no chance in japan but honestly they have so many great games coming up, and theyre SOON

so in any case, before e3 i was

ps3
wii

and now

wii (very close 2nd)
ps3

big_z

Before i was thinking ps3+wii but with the ps3 costing $650 before tax and crap i think i might pass until a price drop or two. I mean fuck you could probably buy a wii and 360 with a game each for the price of a ps3.

bengraven

Xbox360
Wii
PS3

I just didn't care about Sony before going into the conference. Only MGS4 really got me excited. Other than that, I know it will likely be multiplatform games, jRPGs, and bizarre Japanese games I could care less about (exception to these idiotic generalizations would be Jak and Ratchet&Clank).

Now that I know GTA4 is coming to the PS3 and Mercs 2 likely is as well, I don't even want a PS3. It just sounds like an expensive Metal Gear Solid machine. Halo 3, Fable 2, Gears of Motherfucking War, Mass Effect, Too Human, Condemned 2...too goddamned cool.

F#A#Oo

Banned
big_z said:
Before i was thinking ps3+wii but with the ps3 costing $650 before tax and crap i think i might pass until a price drop or two. I mean fuck you could probably buy a wii and 360 with a game each for the price of a ps3.

We have a winner...

I'm not sure to be quite honest. If Heavenly Sword does get delayed until 2007 then that leaves no reason to get a PS3 this year. The Wii is out unless Super Mario Galaxy is a launch title (please God let it be so). The 360 is out until Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey comes out (unless Lost Planet turns out to be AAA). Okami, FFXII, Super Paper Mario, GoW2 and the mountain of PS2 RPGs should keep me busy for awhile.

Cheebs

Count Chocula said:
a painful eye opener for those planning to use the 360 as a replacement for the PS3.
Look at this thread. It seems most of the people jumping from sony are going to 360+Wii. As in 360 for their western games and Wii for their eastern games.

Timbuktu

Systems_id said:
I'm not sure to be quite honest. If Heavenly Sword does get delayed until 2007 then that leaves no reason to get a PS3 this year. The Wii is out unless Super Mario Galaxy is a launch title (please God let it be so). The 360 is out until Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey comes out (unless Lost Planet turns out to be AAA). Okami, FFXII, Super Paper Mario, GoW2 and the mountain of PS2 RPGs should keep me busy for awhile.

not to mention the DS, so many good games there.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
big_z said:

Looks like you could buy wii + a DSLite for close to half the price of PS3

7Th

1.-Wii
2.-PS3

And I never cared a lot for 360 games. I know some will be great, but they're just not my style. How can I enjoy generic Science Fiction?

Before PS3 and Wii, but because of the price I'm probably going just for PS3.

I'm all for innovation, and the Wii will be great when all your mates are around, but I'd rather be playing Metal Gear Solid 4 late at night, then Mario Baseball.

TheKurgan

Before:

1) XBOX 360
2) PC
3) PS3
4) Wii

After:

1) XBOX 360
2) PC
3) Wii
4) PS3 (the price and lack of good looking games kills it for me).

bumpkin

1. Wii
2. 360
37. PS3.

Yeah, not paying 600 fucking bucks for empty promises. Never forget the Tekken teaser!

Trurl

Banned
Before the conferences:
1.Wii
2.PS3

After:

1.Wii
2.360 (really close to being number one)
3.PS3 (I won't be suprised if I never get one.)

Sony REALLY fucked things up with the price. Even if I was willing to pay $600 (which I'm not) I still wouldn't buy one for fear of it bombing. There is no way that the PS3 will be the go to place for 3rd parties.

Do we really have to keep posting our lists? :lol

Anyway:
1)Wii
2) & 3)undecided; I cant afford a PS3 but I want to see more stuff on 360 outside of GOW & Halo 3(AKA RPGS!!! HELLO???!!); I guess I could wait for a PS3. Dunno. Should make up a decision before long

Cheebs said:
Look at this thread. It seems most of the people jumping from sony are going to 360+Wii. As in 360 for their western games and Wii for their eastern games.
Don't count Sony out. It's not because there are a lot (really a lot) negative reactions about their conference that they're doomed to be third this generation. It's just a conference, maybe later this year all pieces will come to place and the PS3 will blow our mind.

And, in the past the Playstation brand/Ken has never made a large mistake. I can see Sony dropping the price, before it's launched.
It all comes down to a) Sony feel so powerful that they are arrogant enough to give the PS3 such a high price or b) the PS3 realy is very very expensive to produce. When it's a, they will lower the price, due to the negative reactions, if it's b, Sony's in trouble.

And I have to say. It seems like you see the Wii as a replacement for the PS3, because it would get eastern support. But seriously, the Wii really is ment to be a second console, 'cause it simply doesn't have next gen graphics. At your logic, with the 2 console future, the Western games should look much better then the Eastern games.

Just my 2 cents.

Matlock

Banned
From just the conferences:

360 - nothing surprising, but all the games look rocktacular.
PS3 - Nothing I'm interested in, and that price...
PSP - repeat PS3
Wii - holy crap Nintendo fangasm central
DS - repeat "Wii"

DS
Wii
PSP
PS3

Systems_id said:

You really hate western games don't you :lol

Sad.

tahrikmili said:
You really hate western games don't you :lol

Sad.
Not really, it's just that none of the western games on the 360 appeal to me at all. The gameplay vids of GoW didn't really excite me too much and Too Human looks like crap.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
The 360 has a steady stream of quality games coming like Gears of War, Dead Rising and Lost Planet but its biggest drawback is that if you don't like shooters and GTA sandboxes then your pretty much shit out of luck. You got some ping-pong, some pinatas, an average DW clone and some sports and racing. I counted the number of shooting games being promoted for 360 this E3 and its ridiculous. Its like Publishers looked at what sold on Xbox (shooters, sports and racing) and said lets throw a million of those on 360 and we should come out ok. Oh I forgot about the Star Wars strategy game but the shooters and sandbox games outnumber all other genres combined by an embarrassing margin. Microsoft isn't going to expand its marketshare with the exact same portfolio as Xbox. And Shadowrun...........got-damn you Fasa. If it wasn't for Capcom, GoW and the PS3 price I wouldn't give the 360 too much of a second look whic brings me to.

PS3 is looking pretty kick ass and would of been a clear next-gen choice if they didn't screw the pooch with the price (Too cheap is it Kutagari?). Besides the price, the games they showed off I thought looked truely next-gen. The PS3 seems to be a beast and will have games at launch that out-class 2nd/3rd gen 360 games. I'm waiting on gameplay movies and impressions from the show floor because I think the games look ace if not a little safe. PS3 would really be a no-brainer if it wasn't for the damn price. Oh and that controller is severely gimped being 2 handed but maybe they will change it once they see all the shit the wiimote can do that the DS3 can't.

Nintendo is completely in a league of their own. They know that hardcore gamers like us will be a very hard sell because of the crappy looking games (except for a select 4 or 5 games) and the controller being a virtual question mark. Most hardcore gamers want to dismiss the controller before even giving it a fair chance which is something Nintendo will have to combat in the stores with Kiosks. They WILL need a great looking game to attract the HC-gamers attention and imo the IGN Red Steel gameplay footage looks a ton better than what was displayed during the conference. If they get some games that can match or exceed that then they have a chance in convincing the hardcore gamer to at least try the controller and give it a fair shake before dismissing it completely which is what a lot of people are doing. Personally I think the Wii will be a huge hit among casual gamers I mean a HUGE hit but it still won't compete with PS3 or 360 even if it outsells them in some regions. Simply put because of the emphasis on the wii controller it will be hard to give a solid opinion on how good the wii is without playing it for ourselves.

I completely expect today for people to pick up the controller for a few minutes with negative preconceptions and become frustrated and dismiss it if they have to endure a learning curve (there WILL be a learning curve people this goes without saying). I expect there will be skeptics who have hands-on with wii and call themselves givin the controller a fair shake but I suspect they'll be the usual suspects of Nintendo detractors who won't like it and tell everyone it sucks and is a gimmick. Luckily one my closest friends will be there hangin with Rockstar on the show floor and he promises to give me the real low down on the controller without the fanboy bullshit. Right now I would rate the interest.

1. PS3 (not factoring Price its a f*ckin white wash)
2. Wii (I'm REALLY excited to try this thing and the line-up is crazy diverse)
3. 360 (3 or 4 games look awesome but can I get some diversity Microsoft? And I should kill u for shadowrun.)

I'll let you know once the conference is finished. Nintendo didnt even show 90% of its big games at its Press Event, and many will be playable on the floor.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Paradoxal_Utopia said:
I'll let you know once the conference is finished. Nintendo didnt even show 90% of its big games at its Press Event, and many will be playable on the floor.

You talkin to me? Anyone who judged the wii support from the conference doesn't have a clue. The list of support was insane especially from 3rd parties. I was more surprised at how diverse the line-up was than anything. I like a GTA Sandbox and First/3rdperson shooter as much as the next guy but when 80% of your games consist of those 2 genres then damn I don't know what to tell you. Just because thats whats hot right now doesn't mean your whole library should be like that. But since development costs are so damn high this gen I suspect most publishers don't want to take a risk on a game or genre that isn't a proven seller. Development costs will stifle innovation before power or control.

Beowvlf

Banned
Pre:
1. PS3
2. Wii
3. 360

So far:
1. PS3
2. 360
3. Wii

Even though the price is high, the PS3 still has the games, tech and future support I want, and I honestly don't think the price will prevent it from becoming a massive success in the least. MGS4, FFXIII, Heavenly Sword, Warhawk and Naughty Dog's new title are the highlights so far for the PS3, as all looked absolutely astounding. I'm still uncertain of the tilt function on the controller now, but I do like the fact that it's a combination of traditional and new, both out of the box. If it can be turned off and on in certain games, and others are specifically designed around the tilt, I think it'll be a great addition to the Eyetoy (which looked great as well).

The 360 still hasn't impressed me all that much, but it still has had a solid showing so far. The Halo 3 teaser was kinda meh though, and real time or not, I don't think the graphics on display were that fantastic or anything; very solid, but still rough around the edges. Shadowrun and Too Human as well were quite disappointing, especially the latter, which was horrid. Mass Effect continues to look great though, hopefully it'll release this year. I'm really interested in a few games that weren't at the conference though, like Ninety Nine Nights and (especially) Project Sylph, so my opinions may change depending on how good those turn out.

The Wii has disappointed me, because Nintendo's conference didn't convince me of the Wiimote. Mario looked really, really good, and I'm sure the Wii Sports titles will provide fun for a little while, but everything else shown was underwhelming. As expected the visuals on display were quite poor, and some were even worse than I expected. And far too many games looked to share the same control mechanics and/or perspectives (first person slashing, 'swipe the controller to attack!', etc.). I can't say Zelda is enticing me to get a Wii versus just getting it on GC either, as the new controls didn't impress, and the visuals aren't that much better.

Shmmeee

Pre: Wii/PS3/ 360

Now: Wii/360/PS3

To be honest, if anything E3 has shown me that I can do without both 360 & PS3, but there's no way I'm missing out on Wii Sports.

I totally agree with the FPS/GTA genre only comment above, Halo and GTA post Vice City don't interest me in the slightest, I liked the first two MGSs but that bores me now as well. I'm yet to see anything that I'd buy on PS3/360.

And far too many games looked to share the same control mechanics and/or perspectives (first person slashing, 'swipe the controller to attack!', etc.). I can't say Zelda is enticing me to get a Wii versus just getting it on GC either, as the new controls didn't impress, and the visuals aren't that much better.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I just can't see how of the 3 console you pick the Wii as have the most similar games. Everything I've seen on PS3/360 has been virtually identical, I actually have trouble remembering which games are which from time to time. I can't think of two games that look similar on Wii (Pilot Wings and Flight Game maybe?)

I agree about Zelda, but I think the fact it was obviously only moved to Wii at the last minute explains a lot. Pending impressions, Mario looks like the groundbreaking new game I was looking for this E3

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
DCharlie said:
all three are good and bad in different ways , the catch now is whether people have the cash to own all three.

To cover all the bases is becoming a more and more a challenge.

Damn, i don't want to have to spend $600 to justify my sony trolling - ah, but it'll be worth it i guess! I'd just spend it on hookers anyways. ;)

Now you`ll have to buy cheap crack whores instead. Slumming it like the rest of us.

For me:
1 Wii
2 PS3
3 360

Besides Halo 3, nothing at all on 360 interests me. PS3 has FFXIII, MGS4, Resistance, and a few others I`m interested in. Wii just has too many exciting games to name here, but here are a few: Mario Galaxy, Trauma Center, Zelda, Red Steel, RE Wii, etc etc etc.

Top Bottom