• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's Design a Wii U Console Revision

Converse

Banned
A PREFACE (ON FEASIBILITY): Seeing as I'm intrigued by product design and the tradition of redesigning video game consoles after a few years on the market, I got to thinking that the Wii U, which sees its two-year anniversary this November, is ripe for a console revision.

NeoGAF loves nothing more than to tell Nintendo what it should do, so while I was mentally partaking in that pastime, I figured a Wii U revision could be a potentially smart move, if done in conjunction with Mario Kart 8, Smash 4, a solid B-tier 2014 lineup (which, according to the latest financial results briefing, includes Bayonetta 2, Hyrule Warriors and X) and -- perhaps most importantly -- a big quasi-rebranding marketing push. Recently, we can point to successful PS3 and 3DS revisions. With Nintendo recently stating that they're no longer taking a loss on Wii U sales, a revision could either make console sales slightly more profitable, allow a small price cut or (if done in a more "premium" style) leave Ninty in a no-loss-no-gain-per-sale position.

Originally, I thought we might see such a thing at E3 2014, but Iwata's recent statements that Nintendo won't show new hardware at E3 potentially shoot this notion down. I'm no economist, but I reckon it's likely that not revising the Wii U saves Nintendo more money at this point. Which brings me to...

THIS THREAD: Despite my little "Nintendo should do this" ramble, this thread is not another "Nintendo should do this plan I came up with to win the console wars" thread. We have tons of those. This is a thread to dream up Wii U console revisions. Let's discuss that, but let's not come up with unrelated armchair business plans for Ninty -- we have enough of that. Basically, I implore you: please, please, please no "drop the GamePad" posts. The GamePad is the Wii U. Iwata has said time and time again they're not dropping it. And please do explain your design choices.

MY CONCEPT: So here's my Wii U revision concept.

The console: My focus here is better defining the Wii U as its own console, while recognizing its Wii and Nintendo brand heritage (with the blue disc slot and NES-style top vent, respectively). Form factor wise, anything we can do to condense is key -- it may not read very well in the mockup, but I imagine a rounded back end and flat front end so that, when viewed from above, it is actually a rough "U" shape. Though the mockup appears glossy, an Apple TV or Amazon Fire TV-style matte finish would be ideal, pending costs. Functionally, it remains the same, though we hide the ugly sync button under the front flap and nix two of the four USB ports to cut costs. We could also nix the AV port and keep it strictly HDMI compatible. I'm no engineer, but perhaps the top vent is somewhat functional to encourage cooling. The focus, logo-wise, lies on "Nintendo" and the "U" logo.

consolemockup198kp6.png

The GamePad: Some bullet points, (pasted from a previous thread on redesigning the GamePad).

--Reduce the screen size from 6.2" to ~5.0" inches. As an added benefit, this gives us better pixel density.
--While we don't necessarily need a 720p screen, I'd like to see an improvement in image quality. Specifically, correct the compression artifacts. Something proprietary is alright, but let's put resources from reducing screen size into improving picture quality.
--Keep the touchscreen resistive. It's incredibly responsive and it's essential for Miiverse drawing, a huge positive of the Wii U experience. With the presence of buttons, there's really no need for a more expensive capacitive screen.
--Remove the sensor bar. I've never seen this used, outside of a very small contingent of people playing Wii Mode on the GamePad.
--Replace analog sticks with circle pads, like the E3 2011 model, if it saves a significant amount of money. If it doesn't, simply reduce the size of the sticks and add a GameCube-style grip texture.
--Given these changes, trim and tuck the form factor as much as possible. Make it slimmer, smaller. This improves appearance and comfort and saves on manufacturing costs. The basic shape is fine though -- at most, I'd curve it subtly.
--This becomes the standard battery, or at least a middle ground between this and the standard battery (a mid-ground would give us 6 hours, which is fine).
--Do anything we can to improve the range.
--Relocate TV and Power buttons to the top-right bevel of the controller. Strike a bunch of unnecessary text.
--Just for more interesting aesthetics, make the face buttons (and maybe shoulder buttons) transparent. This calls back to the Wii Remote's transparent "A" button, which looks stellar. Transparent shoulder buttons would create a look similar to the original 3DS' bevel. Let's throw in the telescoping metal stylus from the original 3DS since we're already manufacturing them. Just a few things to up that aesthetic quality.
--Loose the gloss in favor of a matte finish, if feasible.

Bonus Features: Here's a very quick mockup to define the potential tone of the marketing campaign that would accompany this console revision -- essentially, it aims to hit the nostalgic note (I think Nintendo might be moving in that direction with its E3 "Play Nintendo" campaign) and err on the side of sleek-but-whimsical universality rather than targeting kids only. Nintendo kids have grown up and have kids, so expanding that ol' Blue Ocean to both groups makes good sense. This image is actually just a few things pasted together from Ninty's 2013 Annual Report (it's kind of hilarious how much better the design of these internal documents is compared to NoA's actual marketing).

Finally, it would be a crime to neglect the 30th anniversary of the Nintendo Entertainment System in North America, which released on October 18th, 1985. If this fantasy revision from Converse King of Nintendo hit in 2015 -- please allow me to fanboy spooge a bit -- we'd have something like this. And I would be rich:

That was a long-assed post. What do you folks have in mind? Would love to see some more concepts from talented Gaffers.

Zeppeli

Banned
2 circle pads and Vita/PSP shoulder buttons for the GamePad, along with that shape? Hell no, man. That would destroy your hands. The GamePad is fine as is. Stylus looks comfy though.

The console looking like that also draws too many parallels to the Apple TV, especially if it had a matte finish.

The Wii U as a console and the GamePad is not the issue. The marketing caused mass confusion... But yeah, U is a better name than Wii U.

Shun

The current Gamepad is quite comfortable, the one shown looks like it'd be a pain to use after extended periods.

Matte over Gloss is a definite must.

The buttons are stellar and I wouldn't want to change them in anyway if it hampers how good and responsive they are.

Not a fan of the look of your console mock up, I find it too tall and I think the current Wii U size is perfect.

Nice ideas, but things could use work designwise imo.

Flandy

Here's my Wii U redesign. I'll be waiting for you to contact me Nintendo so we can negotiate this further.
wiiuredesign.png

trinest

I think Gamepad nitpicking aside, the biggest issue about the OPs concept needs to be said.

IT LOOKS LIKE A WII AT THE FRONT.

Which isn't that the whole reason we complained casuals aren't picking up the Wii for?

Elija2

This is kinda unintentionally creepy.

I'm not a fan of the top vent (is that a pun?) on the Wii U. I also don't like the Circle Pads on the GamePad or think that the sticks should be smaller.

balohna

If they slim up the gamepad a bit but still keep it comfortable then that's kinda cool I guess. I'm mostly happy with it as it is. Games that use it well really sold me on it. Pikmin 3, ZombiU, Nintendoland.

Converse

Banned
2 circle pads and Vita/PSP shoulder buttons for the GamePad, along with that shape? Hell no, man. That would destroy your hands. The GamePad is fine as is. Stylus looks comfy though.

The console looking like that also draws too many parallels to the Apple TV, especially if it had a matte finish.

Totally Apple TV inspired, just as the original Wii was inspired by that era of Apple's industrial design. I don't really think people are going to confuse a gaming console with the Apple TV.

The current Gamepad is quite comfortable, the one shown looks like it'd be a pain to use after extended periods.

I agree with this, and the thing about it posted above. I'm a self-taught GIMP user, so much of the execution doesn't meet the vision. I would imagine the underside of the GamePad curved just like the current super-comfy version.

eww why? The Wii U is a beatiful console it does not deserve this

1) I agree. 2) Why? You know, like, for fun.

Also, thanks to the one dude who liked it. I fully expect and embrace MS Paint mockups. And the Mario eyes were inevitable (that one is Nintendo's design, not mine, just a tonal reference).

EDIT:
trinest said:
IT LOOKS LIKE A WII AT THE FRONT. Which isn't that the whole reason we complained casuals aren't picking up the Wii for?

On the whole, I do think it looks a lot less like a Wii than the actual Wii U does.

trinest

Oh I completely missed the ad. I kind of like it as a marketing brand image despite it been a bit creepy as pointed out by someone else. But Nintendo is innocent and conservative enough to pull it off.

Converse

Banned
I don't know, The Xbox 360 S and E pulled it off very well; Nintendo could too.

Funny enough, I think those were the most aesthetically successful revisions of the last generation. I do like an industrial, '80s edge to my electronics, but that's going to be divisive, of course.

Chinner

Banned
rename it t 'conservative gaming'.

animal crossing 2 launch to promote homophobia.
pokemon 3d to promote slavery
new mario game to promote racism against black people (mario jumping on little black monsters 'goombas' is a racial slur).

it will sell millions to that 20 year conservative demographic

I would take all the Wii logos off the box and everything and just put it out as the Nintendo U. All new games would just say Nintendo U on them. And put in a Pro controller too.

I would take all the Wii logos off the box and everything and just put it out as the Nintendo U. All new games would just say Nintendo U on them. And put in a Pro controller too.

Agreed. The Wii U is nothing like the Wii besides compatibility, the Nintendo U makes more sense at this point.

trinest

Nintendo needs to do like unclipable tops to their consoles, some kind of GBM style clip on thing to make it different colours.

Do a hole GBC but in console revolution. The GC sort of was that hardware wise.

With different hardware levels accessing streaming or downloading games?

Converse

Banned
Nintendo needs to do like unclipable tops to their consoles, some kind of GBM style clip on thing to make it different colours.

This would be radical. Would add to Nintendo's "fun" mantra, and make ideas like the NES concept a lot more doable.

Metalmarc

Wii U , plus Game controller pro , no gamepad. (The os may need updating a bit) previous accessories including the gamepad still work if you should want to use them.

New revision of 3DSXL maybe a little bigger screen, (JumboXL?) now with the ability to use as a Wii U gamepad, like vita

(Maybe even remove 3D again like the 2ds, but call it the
Nintendo DSU?... Bring back the folding hinges)

A stupid amount of gamecube/n64/gba/snes/nes ds(yes ds games, dont forget we'd have the new DSU to play them on) games released onto Virtual Console

Announce/gives us updates on the following

Animal Crossing U
Mario Galaxy 3/Universe or new mario title
New Luigi Game thats not luigis mansion, nor super luigi u
zelda
Maybe HD versions of your Favourite classics (go back to Mario 64 etc and upgrade)
Zombie U-2 (bono of the undead)
Resident Evil 2 Remake exclusive to the WiiU
Monster hunter frontier G

moolamb

What if you had 3 Wii U SKUs, call them:

Nintendo U100
Nintendo U500
Nintendo U900

Share the same OS, architecture, and features but different CPU/GPU/RAM power.

Games for the system would scale their quality depending on the 'power level', just like a PC has different settings. Only now the settings are chosen for you.

Forgive me if this is silly, but why wouldn't it work? Then again, I come from a poor PC background where you just play the damned game at whatever resolution you can and it always interested me how strongly the hardware specs mattered for console peeps.

StuBurns

Banned
Cut the uPad, cut $100, market it at children and the core's second console. It wouldn't hugely increase sales, but nor will anything else.

EDIT: I yes, I read the OP.

wanders

What if you had 3 Wii U SKUs, call them:

Nintendo U100
Nintendo U500
Nintendo U900

Share the same OS, architecture, and features but different CPU/GPU/RAM power.

Games for the system would scale their quality depending on the 'power level', just like a PC has different settings. Only now the settings are chosen for you.

Forgive me if this is silly, but why wouldn't it work? Then again, I come from a poor PC background where you just play the damned game at whatever resolution you can and it always interested me how strongly the hardware specs mattered for console peeps.

I'm sorry but no

Why? Fragmentation among other things

FryHole

Really, man? Not even the bold parts, huh?

Come now, Nintendo's future existence may depend on the speed at which we can respond to Wii U threads with 'drop the gamepad' suggestions.

On topic, I like the idea of a NES retro themed edition but will hold out for the SNES 25th anniversary version in 2015.

orioto

Good Art™
I agree with the OP, except for the circle pads and the marketing campaign based on nostalgia.

Nintendo will DIE if it keeps being a nostalgia company

A smaller, liter gamepad is the key for me.

And even if it goes a little farther than the thread topic, i'd still dream about a complete rebranding of the WiiU in 2015, with a cheaper WiiU called something like NESin, and a new portable (NESout), 3ds XL form factor, playing every WiiU games at smaller resolution, launched in japan as a brand new portable with massive ips (animal crossing, monster hunter, pokemon..) now also done for WiiU with WiU graphics.

wanders

Would be even more interesting if you explained to me why.

edit: saw your edit. But I'm not fragmenting anything, just the damned pixel counts and shader detail. Same game for each SKU. Same discs. Same eshop.

Developers would just go for the lowest common denominator

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Cut the Gamepad's screen to 5" so that you can use more widely available screens - should be much cheaper. Should also be lighter in general, and better for children's hands.

But make sure you keep a curved grip at the sides and back - don't just make it look a small tablet. If you're concerned about people dropping the Gamepad - add rubber protection at all edges/corners.

I agree with using a matte surface over glossy.

GPD-G5A-Gaming-Tablet-1.jpg

(Speaker placement here is bad)

FryHole

Which also have one usually? I don't get the issue here.

Looking at the gamepad, there is a bit of overkill that could do with being pared back to something a bit more minimalist. For one, there's too much text explaining the buttons - the home button has 'Home' written underneath it, the TV button has 'control', power button has 'power', all in addition to a unique icon for each on the buttons themselves. Same with + 'start' and - 'select', which could just be + and - and be referred to solely as such in manuals.

pronk420

its basically a ds with the tv as the top screen and a dvd drive so..

Wii-go!

a ds but its a wii u and it only has 512mb of flash storage for nintendos awesome internet services and large games!

seriously though think about.. wiidsu. it makes sense

Mithos

I agree with using a matte surface over glossy.
(Speaker placement here is bad)

Yes, matte over glossy, and speaker placement on handhelds in general is bad.

I'd like to see a merge of Gamecube controller and the Wii U GamePad, because the Gamecube controller is so damn good it just melts and disappears and becomes an extension of your hands.

I think the one with the text STREAM is made by a Gaffer.

wanders

Which also have one usually? I don't get the issue here.

Unnecessary labels is just a pet peeve of mine :) Let me explain clearly. Wii U Game Pad (to me) has unessary logos/labels such as the TV button which already is labeled TV or the obvious power button that's labeled power. That's redudant to me. The aethstetic isn't clean to me especially compared to phones and tablets. Almost makes it look like a toy. Almost.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Yes, matte over glossy, and speaker placement on handhelds in general is bad.

I'd like to see a merge of Gamecube controller and the Wii U GamePad, because the Gamecube controller is so damn good it just melts and disappears and becomes an extension of your hands.

I can see that one being quite comfortable. It keeps the diagonal orientation of the sticks and dpad/buttons. And curved sides.

Top Bottom