• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your task is to redo the Wii U GamePad, what would you change/get rid off

So in contrast to the fuck ton of folks saying if they were in charge the GamePad wouldn't have happened or would just can it ASAP. So please don't just say that.

Well that's not what this is about. Let's say you were tasked with changing it, not canning it.

What would you do? To achieve the right price and capabilities?

Well in my opinion, I'd ditch:

- The camera (what games even use this?)
- The gyro (the thing is too large to really feel good tilting IMO, the Wiimote was compact enough to do it nicely and it's always available as an alternative)
- The accelerometer (can't think of a great use of this, yeah pointing at the screen with it and looking around is cool, but if it's a big burden on cost, I'd say can it)

I'm also curious if Nintendo could have maybe make the screen 640x360 (it's 854x480), but Off-TV is the biggest thing about it and that wouldn't be a good trade off. HOWEVER, maybe shrinking the screen down at least would work, something matching the pixel size of the original 3DS? This would effectively allow to shrink the GamePad itself to lower the amount of plastic used.

Is rumble expensive? We have the pro-controller (that has rumble right?), this is also a killer of the battery, so it's a difficult choice as it's a good one. If the pro controller has it, maybe ditch it.

But, for additions, 1) better battery, at least identical to the newer pack released. I doubt even with the removals would really benefit the current battery. And 2), analog triggers ala GameCube (and OG Classic Controller apparently). This in turn would solve GC compatibility as numerous games used it (not to mention benefiting future games like racing games).

Wireless stays, people couldn't use the pad in another area if you forced a wired connection, too precious to ditch. So don't ever do that. Touch stays as well, very needed.

So it's a case of trimming the fat but also adding crucial things that really took the original down a few notches.

So in the end, it's a standard wireless controller with a now smaller touch screen, you get the second screen gameplay and off-TV to boot. With much better battery with less draining it and newly added analog triggers, the most wanted addition that was bizarrely not included in the first place. Oh, and add that to the Pro controller as well.

Dunno how much that would cost in the end so to allow the console to be cheaper since it's the main thing holding the price back. I'd highly assume it's much cheaper since I doubt the new battery adds near as much and analog triggers surely is cheap as well.

What say you GAF?

Capacitive touch screen
720p
Analog triggers
Switch face buttons and right control stick
No camera
Bigger battery
More curved ergomics, like a bigger classic controller
Slightly smaller overall

Tabasco

The only thing I would change is make the entire thing smaller, FFS.

That thing is fucking huge and I always feel odd using it. Make the screen smaller too, I don't really care.

Hatchtag

Banned
There isn't much wrong with the gamepad at all, sans maybe the battery and lack of multitouch. It's just that it's totally unninnovative. The only thing it has that the 3DS doesn't is triggers and a second analog stick, which both get added by the circle pad pro. There's really no or almost no concepts that can be done on Wii U that can't be done on the 3DS. So, they have this controller that they really want to tout as being super innovative, but it really isn't.

Kalnos

Banned
I don't any changes to the gamepad will really matter if there's still no software that really takes advantage of it.

DigitalOp

Banned
You would shrink the screen to the original 3DS size?....

That screen is dumb tiny. And we have to play Wii U games on it???

Give me the option to turn off the display when I'm using it as a controller. There's nothing more irritating than playing Mario 3D World with it and it's just duplicating exactly what I'm looking at on my TV, completely fucking wasting the battery. Ugh.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
I'd rather have 480p with no latency than 720p with latency.

I'd only change the quality of the screen. 480P OLED or something.

Edit: Oh, and give it haptic feedback.

You would shrink the screen to the original 3DS size?....

That screen is dumb tiny. And we have to play Wii U games on it???

Pixel size, as in pixels per inch, so what each pixel is the size of on 3DS, would be the same on Wii U, the Wii U screen will be larger obviously by default as having more pixels, of course I didn't mean the same size as the screen itself, you'd wouldn't see shit!

Makai

I don't think a gamepad redesign would have changed much. I am very curious what would have happened if they just made a $200 console w/ a Wiimote and/or Pro controller.

EDIT: yeah, I really don't think these suggestions are worth it or would make an impact.

coldone

Game pad was fine.

WiiU console was the problem.
- Put a fast x86 processor
- Move a responsive BSD like OS running on PS4

If the UI is responsive like iPhone, game pad would have been a big success. Who in this day and age wants to see a sand clock ??

Mlatador

Banned
Octagonal gates for the Analog Sticks.

Maybe better battery life while still maintaining the same weight?

Maybe even lighter?

That's really it, everything else is great.

Game pad was fine.

WiiU console was the problem.
- Put a fast x86 processor
- Move a responsive BSD like OS running on PS4

If the UI is responsive like iPhone, game pad would have been a big success. Who in this day and age wants to see a sand clock ??

Can't if after launch; any game made for this would not be playable on the currently bought consoles.

If you're going to change the hardware like that, just can the current one and go all-out, and then risk alienating your current userbase by ditching it only a year after launch, bad idea.

Richie

I'd add an OLED screen, analog triggers, much better battery life, AND sell it as its own thing, something to offer on top of the Wii U experience, not what defines it (a lá Kinect).
The console itself would have come with a Pro Controller, a Wiimote and a Nunchuck, and the additional cost of the GamePad would have gone to the hardware's power.

EctoPrime

Remove:

- Sensor bar
- NFC chip
- Gamepad power supply

Add:

- Pro controller mode toggle button (deactivates gamepad screen and wifi with huge boost to battery life.)
- USB charging ( only pro controller mode can be used until charged.)

Made it smaller to fit into a controller just barely larger than a current one, and make that the standard controller so everyone had their own screen when playing multiplayer

NintendoLand uses the camera...as does, of course, Wii U Chat.

The Gamepad gyro is significantly better and more accurate than the Wiimote's. I'd be much more inclined to use it to steer in a racing game for example than a Wiimote.

cup holders.

seriously though, there's not much that can be done without driving up the cost of a system that still isn't moving units at a comparably low price. changing the camera resolution, battery capacity, wi-fi range or whatever else means it's more expensive to make (and for a controller that still can't be found in stores, that's not attractive in the least). it's hard to avoid canning it when IMO it's part of the problem.

if they did actually redesign it without changing the price, the bulky and flat form factor is one of the biggest issues i've had with it. the wii remote felt amazing to hold, which is the complete opposite of what i've experience with the gamepad.

Remove:

- Sensor bar
- NFC chip

- Gamepad power supply

Add:

- Pro controller mode toggle button (deactivates gamepad screen and wifi with huge boost to battery life.)
- USB charging ( only pro controller mode can be used until charged.)

Completely forgot about those (can you blame me? :p), I'd say let's see where NFC goes at E3 since I believe Nintendo confirmed a showing of a game or games for it at E3.

The sensor bar is used for Wii off-TV play, but really they need to enable the gamepad to act like a Wii Classic Controller, which I have a hard time believing isn't possible.

El Sabroso

maybe just battery and octagonal edges instead of circular edges for the sticks, nothing else, the gamepad is too good

NintendoLand uses the camera...as does, of course, Wii U Chat.

The Gamepad gyro is significantly better and more accurate than the Wiimote's. I'd be much more inclined to use it to steer in a racing game for example than a Wiimote.

I don't know, is Wii U chat a big deal? Can't people just use webcams if they want? I would have to imagine most people have a computer of sorts by now and webcams are often built in (in laptops) or really cheap.

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.
Simply put, a smaller form factor. It's just a little too big -- I want my hands closer together.

I really like the GamePad, so there wouldn't be much about it that I would change. Generally, my only complaint is that I don't find the volume loud enough when I use headphones with it, so I would definitely boost the volume if I could. I suppose I don't care much for the glossy plastic, either. I could do without those fingerprints.

Other than those two minor changes, I'd keep it as is. I'm happy with it.

plainr_

-Capacitive touchscreen with stylus support
-Make it an actual standalone tablet.
-Same streaming tech but in reverse.
-Sacrifice a little bit of comfort for portability
-Detachable controls (maybe)
-Latest 2013 mobile tech

Launched holidays 2013.

I don't know, is Wii U chat a big deal? Can't people just use webcams if they want? I would have to imagine most people have a computer of sorts by now and webcams are often built in (in laptops) or really cheap.

A surprising amount of people apparently use it. The number of people on Miiverse saying, "anyone want to Wii U Chat..?" or have "sorry, no Wii U Chat" in their profiles.

mantidor

I wouldn't touch it.

That thing is perfect, I would actually have tried to go for lower GPU and CPU specs, despite GAFs and Internet rage, only to keep the overall costs down, but that is outside the OP's scenario.

Randdalf

nothing.

I am just joking bigger battery would be top then higher resolution, and capacitive touch i personally like the size.

Honestly, I'd rather have a stylus than use capacitive touch but maybe that's just me. It would certainly be nice if they made the screen flush with the surface rather than indented though, if it was capacitive.

Ditch it all together and simply make the pro controller the standard controller. The currently controller is bulky and almost totally useless.

Though a smaller version would at least help with the bulkiness of the gamepad.

I'd give it a screen with a higher resolution and use higher quality materials such as Gorilla Glass. Make the entire thing matte and a stronger battery. I'm mostly happy with it but the gloss body and sensitive screen are my biggest annoyances.

I'd give it a screen with a higher resolution and use higher quality materials such as Gorilla Glass. Make the entire thing matte and a stronger battery. I'm mostly happy with it but the gloss body and sensitive screen are my biggest annoyances.

But that would make the system even more expensive.

Top Bottom