• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your task is to redo the Wii U GamePad, what would you change/get rid off

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
Better battery life. I hate it when I have to stop playing because I have to charge after ~3 hours. And the Home button should be easier to reach.

I think the game pad has a place for people who want to use it... just don't make it tethered to the console.
The thing I hate is you can't start and use the console with any controller.
You NEED the Game pad to use it, then turn on the other controller and use that.
Sure, it's a little problem, but it's just cumbersome and stupid and what I would change.
I believe you can start the console and launch a game using a Wii Remote. Don't know about the Pro Controller.

jimi_dini

Capacitive touch screen would suck so much. The great drawings on Miiverse are like one of the few things that the Gamepad does right.

people wanting capacitive touch screen are out of their mind.

But sure, they should include the better battery. I got it and it's fine now.

Screenboy

Id redesign it to look more more high tech/end rather than the 'toyish' design it has now. Maybe if it was made smaller, I'd probably get rid of the gyro and the NFC part.

timshundo

Remove the console, stuff it all in the gamepad lol.

Or quadruple the signal strength between the console gamepad so I can get some sweet sweet Mario Kart 8 action from my bed in the other room [+ on the john duh].

EctoPrime

Another thought I just had is to reduce the screen on the gamepad to 400x240 but output an 800x480 image from the Wii U. Each gamepad would get the same data but only display 25% of it for splitscreen gaming. The same could work for audio, send out 8 sound channels for stereo on four controllers.

You could also have the system emulate 5 virtual console titles at the same time. 4 on gamepads plus the tv.

Converse

Banned
I quite enjoy the GamePad, but it's fun to approach this as sort of a console revision (which I would actually like to see Nintendo do -- I think it's one of the smarter choices they could make right now, given their image problems and looking at the positive effects of the PS3 Slim and 3DS XL revisions). Anyways, in a world of perfect 20/20 hindsight and dreams, here's what I'd do to cut corners and what I'd put the money saved toward:

COST REDUCTION
--Reduce the screen size from 6.2" to ~5.0" inches. As an added benefit, this gives us better pixel density.
--Remove the sensor bar. I've never seen this used, outside of a very small contingent of people playing Wii Mode on the GamePad.
--Replace analog sticks with circle pads, like the E3 2011 model, if it saves a significant amount of money. When I first saw this, I thought it was a travesty. Then I got a 3DS and found that circle pads are pretty great. If it doesn't save a great deal of money, simply reduce the size of the sticks and add a GameCube-style grip texture.
--Given these changes, trim and tuck the form factor as much as possible. Make it slimmer, smaller. This improves appearance and comfort and saves on manufacturing costs. The basic shape is fine though -- at most, I'd curve it subtly.
--Loose the gloss in favor of a textured matte finish.

IMPROVEMENTS
--While we don't necessarily need a 720p screen, I'd like to see an improvement in image quality. Specifically, correct the compression artifacts. Something proprietary is alright, but lets put resources from reducing screen size into improving picture quality.
--This becomes the standard battery, or at least a middle ground between this and the standard battery (a mid-ground would give us 6 hours, which is fine).
--Do anything we can to improve the range.
--Just for more interesting aesthetics, make the face buttons (and maybe shoulder buttons) transparent. This calls back to the Wii Remote's transparent "A" button, which looks stellar. Transparent shoulder buttons would create a look similar to the original 3DS' clear bevel. Let's throw in the telescoping metal stylus from the original 3DS since we're already manufacturing them anyway. Just a few things to up that aesthetic quality.

As for the touch screen, I'd keep it resistive, no contest. It's incredibly responsive and it's essential for Miiverse drawing, a huge positive of the Wii U experience. With the presence of buttons, there's really no need for a capacitive screen. This is just one of those parroted GAF catchphrases, like "ditch the GamePad, $200."

In response to other popular ideas being floated, I don't see how USB charging is any better than the included charging cradle. And having seen it used to fantastic effect in Spin the Bottle and Wario Ware, I'd keep the camera. The NFC chip would only go as a last ditch, just because it has so much potential and is another thing that differentiates the GamePad from its peers. Analog shoulder buttons would be last on the list if in the budget. I love 'em, but realistically, very few games have really used them.

The_Lump

Banned
Analog Triggers (biggest oversight by a long way)

Battery Life

Range (might be more related to the console)

Other than that it'd only change the aesthetics. Smaller bezel around the screen, rework the back shape to make it slightly thinner and sit flat on a table, make screen more flush with the bezel, make the whole thing Spice Orange of course and add a less tacky looking volume slider.

And other than that... it's perfect. ;)

Rvaisse

Remove the NFC chip (it could have been an add on for specific games if not used system wide)
Change the Zl/Zr buttons for Triggers
Put the +/- buttons a little higher
Make the home button flashing in different colors for notifications.
Change the sticks for concaved ones.

Small changes at almost no cost.

Edit :
Oh yeah.. Remove the rumble thing coz it sucks
Make the gamepad a bit smaller in the process.

I understand that you would lose the ability to draw detailed pictures, but I think multitouch gestures would be more useful than in-depth drawings in actual games. I can't think of any right, to be fair, but it's a trade off I'd want them to make. Both have their benefits, I suppose.

...so you want to get rid of a screen that is necessary for one of the most positive benefits of the wii u and replace it with a screen of lesser accuracy and nebulous benefits of which you freely admit you can't think of even one?

Seriously?

I'd remplace the ZL et ZR buttons with analog triggers, and I would strech the handles so that they are bigger.

There isn't much more I would change, it's a great controler, and then there are the obvious technical upgrades, like a better screen (multitouch, better resolution, OLED display, etc...), better battery life, better gyro sensors. But these are quite expensive and the console is already expensive enough and I'm sure that Nintendo did their best to find the best compromise of quality and cost.

Ahmed360

I would first make it smaller, it's just HUGE!

Also, will add a processor in there (ARM CPUs are dirt cheap), make it tick and think (OS) instead of being a slave ;) ya know, to use it separately, because currently, unless you have the Wii U on, you never touch it!

Make it run some basic games, flappy birds etc...

But, still dependent on the Wii U mothership, yet operatable on its own.

I don't mind the display, the glossy finish I would ditch, the thumbs are way too long (3DS pads would do).

That'd be cool :D

Alx

Feature-wise, not much, I think it's fine as it is. Oh yeah, the rumble, that one is bad. Either have a better one, or remove it altogether (I'm not sure rumble can be really convincing with such a big controller anyway...)
I would definitely keep the inertial sensors, because moving around the gamepad as a virtual window is a cool thing, and one of its best applications. I don't use the camera or the NFC, but I can see how they can be useful for others. And better resolution and range would be appreciated of course, but those were limited by cost I suppose.

I think the gamepad has been well designed, and the lack of enthusiasm for the WiiU is probably not to blame on its build quality or conception, but on the appeal of those features (which is bad news for Nintendo actually, otherwise they could have released an improved controller)

Rvaisse

...so you want to get rid of a screen that is necessary for one of the most positive benefits of the wii u and replace it with a screen of lesser accuracy and nebulous benefits of which you freely admit you can't think of even one?

Seriously?

Vita says helllllooooooo !
People seems to forget we already have a videogame system with a capacitive screen, and yet the benefits of using a capacitive touchscreen are still nebulous.

GamerJM

Banned
I actually really like the Gamepad itself, like I think that if it has to exist the form it currently exists in is fine. The camera, gyro, and accelerometer are all unnecessary I guess but I question how much not having them would bring down the price of the thing, which is the real issue. And honestly I like having them around.

I feel like the best way to redesign the Gamepad in a way that technically keeps it a Gamepad but also makes it a lot more marketable would be to completely change the thing into a modern-day version of the DreamCast controller, where instead of the VMU there's a small touch screen. Make it bigger than the VMU, but not to the point where it dominates the controller and makes it huge like the current Gamepad.

Also fuck capacitive touch screens. Resistive for life.

Eusis

I completely agree, I disagree that the current option ain't exactly that.
Honestly, it's pretty much in the middle, I just want to tip it over to the controller side without just taking the lame "well let's just use the Pro Controller only!" option plus I do feel it's just big enough to be somewhat unwieldy. And hell, even that could at least use a gyroscope, the Vita, 3DS, and even the Game Pad are showing that a good one can actually be really useful in games.

Although my list initially looks like it's about what Nintendo should have done with the Wii U and not just about the Gamepad, it is actually about the Gamepad :).

#1. Produce a new controller (wiimote/nav controller crossbreed) that attaches to an (optional) Nintendo 'Screen' peripheral that will be released well into the future. Named as WiiNav's, they will be more ergonomic, more accurate/tech, better rumble, included battery/no AA's needed.

#2. Use x2 of WiiNav included as Standard new controller, so no pro needed. They can be used as one in each hand or put together. Having the ability to attach or snap apart could create new genres/gameplay types thinking about it.

#3. All games must offer motion control if it's obvious to use it or standard control if fits the game better. If both options are viable, then they should be offered - see what's the difference with this and Pikmin 3 for example? Motion works well for some games and not for others, developers and gamers should/could embrace that.

#4. Spend more budget on making Wii U slightly more powerful and/or cheaper to buy in the first place.

#5. Release it with included Wii U Sports FREE pre-installed on HDD (that actually had some money/effort/better graphics & online) put into it and not that shit they've released. New gameplay could also be implemented due to the new controller. So a more accurate, deeper Wii Sports experience that would now entertain casual and 'some' core with perhaps some differing gameplay would be available at launch, free. Market and Advertise as the NEW Wii U Sports FOR FREE only available on the new Wii U Console.

#6. ALSO include NintendoLand on the Wii U FREE pre-installed on HDD. Include with all the games that don't require the Screen. Also include some games from Wii U Party/Wii U WarioWare that don't require the screen. Perhaps they could have implemented new gameplay/games in this. Market and Advertise as NintendoLand FOR FREE only available on the new Wii U Console. NintendoLand could have been a mega MEGA application that was the HOME to quirky new ideas/games/mini games via future DLC.

#7. Release some games that appeal 'initially' to the core audience (they sell the machine to the mass for you). A beefed up ZombiU (due to extra horsepower in console) and just ONE new IP that took advantage of great new graphics would help! The Zelda Wii U demo @ e3 with a mature outlook would do. Family/everyone appeal could still be overall appeal at launch as long as you cater to the core too.

#8. Fully Supported 'some' Virtual Console/'some' Classics/'some' HD Remakes from day one. Didn't need to be backwards compatible with Wii. Continued support of this at prices which don't make fans/consumers think you're trying to rip them a new arsehole.

#9. Proper hard drive/alternate memory of at least 250gb included internally. Support for plug-in memory for those who need it.

#10. NOW, release the gamepad screen as the NEW Nintendo Screen (multi-touch) as a new peripheral (note it's a Screen and not a Tablet - this should make it cheap to make and buy). There could even be options of this via either screen size, quality, market type ie. rubbery/hard wearing,different colours, slick design, better screen/battery, different sizes etc.

#11. Nintendo Screen could be attached to controllers OR used separately. It could be used within same game as assymetrical gameplay or as the only control in a Wii U game.

#12. Even though the Screen part is optional, all games, even those from launch and onwards made for the Wii U would have to designed with this in mind (if not only for off-screen play/map items which originally required a press of the button). If Sony can say to developers that part of releasing a game on a PS4 is that, where possible, a control option must be there for remote play, then Nintendo could have ensured this for Wii U - even if it had to be built in somehow to the OS requirements.

#13. Releasing this as a peripheral is not a problem imo. The Wii balance board did and was successful. It would also create new interest in the Wii U, perhaps entice more Casuals and be a combatant to Remote Play/Tablet Integration on next gen consoles etc.

The 'Screen' would be launched with USP's of:-

- Off-Screen Play to ALL games released to date and for future on Wii U including Virtual Console/Classics/HD Remakes.

- New games/modes added to existing games such as NintendoLand (games from original NintendoLand, Wii U Party, WarioWare U that required the screen) either as DLC or FREE DLC (probably to get people to buy the screen - Nintendo would probably be getting the screens at an even cheaper price than today and profit of it's hardware).

- Games* designed ONLY for a Nintendo Screen that would be cheap, easy to make and sold like ios/android types ranging from 99p > £9.99. These could be touch only or attached WiiNav's to be touch and/or analogue (this could have created new unique games/types). Nintendo could have produced a huge amount of games/apss that would fit this market type both from a control & price perspective as well as exclusives from Indies and/or pc Indie ports.

* Nintendo could have got the ball rolling year or so earlier getting many Indies on board for exclusives like Sony did so when they launched the Nintendo Screen, content would have been ready.

- Getting ios/android exclusive games (including a plethora of downported classics that are on these systems) onto the Wii U either via touch using the screen or if the developer wanted, to use the analogue sticks via attached WiiNav's if they chose to. This could mean certain ios/android games that control like shit on a touch screen would have the BEST version on a Wii U (think Gunman Clive for example).

Some advantages of this route:-

- Wii U would be more powerful and perhaps (perhaps) more 3rd party support.

- Wii U would have sold more consoles and perhaps (perhaps) more 3rd party support.

- Even without 3rd party support of AAA titles, I'm sure Nintendo would have got plenty for the 'Screen' market. In turn, some of these talented developers could become part of Nintendo.

- Nintendo would have themselves a footing in the ios/android space and understand the value proposition to consumers much better than they do now. This would have made them relevant to today's audience (casuals/kids/core/everyone).

- Nintendo could be more adventuress and less conservative with their gaming design as the 'Screen' market would allow them to scale their development accordingly and produce many many NEW ideas with the budget to fit.

- Nintendo would also have a portion of people who now would feel 'tied' to Nintendo and their products for the future. I have an iphone and haven't gone to android cos of my already purchased apps and I'm sure there's many like that and would have been like that for a Nintendo Screen.

- Nintendo would have earned more money to invest in AAA games and this would be good for all gamers.

- There are some amazing games/apps/playthings on ios/android and they would have been great on a Nintendo Screen too. Who knows, perhaps better lol!

Having saying all this, if Nintendo really would have went this route, what are the chances they'd have abused the success? How many overpriced cash-in apps that played purely on nostalgia/same characters/remakes would we have got and that was all we got?

Says it all really. Shame....

Nicktendo86

I would make the screen a little smaller to reduce the overall size of the controller, keep it resistive for costs and accuracy purposes, I have no idea why people keep clamouring for capacitive.

Improve the rumble motors.

Make the bigger battery the standard.

Matte finish.

Perfect controller.

BratmanDu

I always wonder if that port on the bottom could be used to attach a wifi dongle, for remote play over your home network, or further. Give me a decent carry case and I could happily play it on the bus, (if the bus wifi didn't suck).

Griss

I'd go in one of two directions. Both to do with how people see it vs tablets.

The first is to make it more like a typical controller, so that people don't see it as a tablet, but rather the supercharged gamepad it's supposed to be. This means shrinking the bezel hugely by getting rid of the camera and buttons on the bottom edge. Shrink the screen and shrink the buttons. Screen should be 75% of what it is now, but extend to the edge of the thing. Now give it a nice, sleek industrial design, but retain the basic shape.

That's the option I'd go for.

The other option would be to make it more like an actual tablet. Again, better industrial design and form. But this time a bigger screen, multitouch capabilities, NO BUTTONS OR STICKS and go full fucking tablet on it, even if the Wii U console is still driving the visuals. The hardcore can buy a pro controller, casuals who want touchscreen games can use the new no-button gamepad.

I just feel like the Wii U fell between two stools. Casuals are intimidated by the buttons and sticks and they think it looks goofy compared to a normal tablet; hardcore have no interest in a touch screen and they think it looks goofy compared to a normal controller.

mindsale

Discontinue Gamepad pack-ins, include a Pro Controller with a front-facing camera built in near the HOME button. Modify the e-Shop so it can be perused with analog sticks.

Kanyon

Design wise, I would have gone for something more along the lines of a PS Vita + controller grip, in matte white and obviously with the same internals as the Wii U Gamepad.

vita-grip3.jpg

Griss has got the right idea, lines up with my expectations:

The first is to make it more like a typical controller, so that people don't see it as a tablet, but rather the supercharged gamepad it's supposed to be.

It's a game controller with a built-in screen that can stream games, design it as such and embrace it. If I had time I could probably do a quick mockup in Photoshop, using the Wii U style analogue control sticks, D-Pad and buttons but I think you get the idea.

wildfire

Banned
Reduce size from 6.2 to 5.7 inches.

Resolution reduced from 854x480 to 768x480

Remove NFC Chip and antenna.

Replace the TFT tech the display currently uses with High-Performance Addressing tech.
The trade off is increased response times and motion blur for better colors and 30-40% reduction in display cost.

The_Lump

Banned
That is ditiching it

Agreed. Not packing it in the box is as good as ditching it. Split userbase and all that.

I'd really like to see a hardware revision of WiiU along the lines of the DS lite. That showed Nintendo can make nice, premium looking hardware when they try.

A sleeker gamepad and smaller console would be awesome.

mindsale

Agreed. Not packing it in the box is as good as ditching it. Split userbase and ask that.

I'd really like to see a hardware revision of WiiU along the lines of the DS lite. That showed Nintendo can make nice, premium looking hardware when they try.

A sleeker gamepad and smaller console would be awesome.

What if they could incorporate all the features of the Gamepad in different ways? Maybe software-emulate remote-broadcast to a 3DS - the feature sets between the 3DS and Gamepad are comparable. Pack in a 3DS in lieu of a Gamepad, or not sell a Gamepad with the Wii U in the event that the purchaser owns a 3DS. You could also create the potential for 3D software on the Wii U via the handheld. I'm not sure what it'd take for the Wii U to output to 3D sets, don't know if that could also be accomplished via firmware. Alternatively, they could bulk up a Pro Controller with a more robust feature set (camera, track pad, et cet).

I was going to say to remove NFC, but I think it's going to be heavily used in the near future.

I would add analogue buttons. And honestly that's it.

Maybe add another version with a 4" screen.

What if they could incorporate all the features of the Gamepad in different ways? Maybe software-emulate remote-broadcast to a 3DS - the feature sets between the 3DS and Gamepad are comparable. Pack in a 3DS in lieu of a Gamepad, or not sell a Gamepad with the Wii U in the event that the purchaser owns a 3DS. You could also create the potential for 3D software on the Wii U via the handheld. I'm not sure what it'd take for the Wii U to output to 3D sets, don't know if that could also be accomplished via firmware. Alternatively, they could bulk up a Pro Controller with a more robust feature set (camera, track pad, et cet).

The 3DS doesn't have dual sticks and it doesn't have 4 shoulder buttons

The_Lump

Banned

Well...

The 3DS doesn't have dual sticks and it doesn't have 4 shoulder buttons

There's that. Plus the userbase is still split. Meaning developers have to build to the lowest common denominator (ie those with a normal controller), meaning the gamepad is as good as ditched.
My point though was that this is not what the OP is asking. The thread is about how you would change the existing gamepad.

olimpia84

Battery life, better range and analog triggers. Everything else is perfect and as I mentioned already the gamepad is my favorite controller of all time.

Taker666

I'd have put a camera on the back as well. They could have done some interesting augmented reality stuff viewing your tv through your gamepad.

Jackano

I will remove the NFC and move to USB charging like already said.

Screen size, I will in fact reduce it and resolution too (to SD like 640x480). Cost and autonomy is the problem here.

The toggle button for shuting down the screen is a great idea too.

Top Bottom