• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you want your player avatar to sound like you, too?

Deft Beck

A lot of people create player avatars that look like themselves. But that may be the first step towards sounding like them, too.

We've all seen the videos of people using AI to make the Presidents talk about Smash tier lists and Freddie Mercury singing Björk. I think this sort of thing is a prelude to what we will see in games with player avatars.

I predict that there will be an option in future games starring player avatars to sample your voice and generate voice acting for your character. This would range anywhere from grunts, battle chatter, to full on cutscene dialogue.

Unfortunately, this is going to put a lot of people out of work. I also think it's going to sound very uncanny and may make people uncomfortable. Thus, we may only see it in a Ubisoft game, since they seem to love to cut costs everywhere; their games are at such a massive scale, yet they're so boilerplate that I can see them trying this.

I would never do this for my own projects, but I think we will see somebody try this sooner than we think.

What do you think?

Last edited:

Portugeezer

Yes

Sigma GIF

IAmRei

I once vocalist, my voice is fine, but when i talked on phone or video call, its changed to ugly sounded usual young asian here locally...

So the answer is NO 🙄
I want to escape my life in video game... Doesnt need to be all realistic.

WitchHunter

Banned
More Wayne June, Neil Newbon, Devora Wilde, JK Simmons, Andrew Wincott caliber voice actors pretty please.

Last edited:

WitchHunter

Banned
100% absolutely not, no. I don't want it to look like me either, I'm playing the game to be someone else right?
Imagine the possibilities. When you see yourself beaten to shit and thrown out of a window to land on top of a car... and you get up, go back and kill everyone :D.

No. I don't want them to look like me either...
Self-inserting never works for me, and I really dislike it.

Which is why I always wished Persona, Dragon Quest and some Shin Megami games made the protagonist an actual character, with a official name, and a flashed out and apparent personality.

It was the worst in Persona 2 Eternal Punishment, where they made Maya, one of the highlights of Innocent Sin, personality wise, a silent protagonist, for self-inserting purposes.

I understand self-inserting can be done well (I'm guessing Street Fighter 6 did, from what I heard and saw).

But it's really not for me.

Kuranghi

I'm Scottish and seems that accent makes the hoe's panties wet so probably wouldn't be a bad thing I guess, but as others said I don't want to play as an avatar of myself, that's quite bizarre really

poodaddy

I never make my character look like me and I damn sure wouldn't want them to sound like me. I'm ugly as shit and I have a terrible voice. Every time I've heard my voice it just sounds like a nasely surfer guy. Can't stand it.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
why would I want to make character looks and sounds like me? Thats boring, I‘m me all the time outside of gaming.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Ignoring the vanity part of it, it seems like it wouldn't be very wise to have a life-like replica of yourself out there.

GymWolf

Not sure if i could take any epic story seriously when my chara talk with a thicc sicilian accent tbh...

StueyDuck

A lot of people create player avatars that look like themselves. But that may be the first step towards sounding like them, too.

We've all seen the videos of people using AI to make the Presidents talk about Smash tier lists and Freddie Mercury singing Björk. I think this sort of thing is a prelude to what we will see in games with player avatars.

I predict that there will be an option in future games starring player avatars to sample your voice and generate voice acting for your character. This would range anywhere from grunts, battle chatter, to full on cutscene dialogue.

Unfortunately, this is going to put a lot of people out of work. I also think it's going to sound very uncanny and may make people uncomfortable. Thus, we may only see it in a Ubisoft game, since they seem to love to cut costs everywhere; their games are at such a massive scale, yet they're so boilerplate that I can see them trying this.

I would never do this for my own projects, but I think we will see somebody try this sooner than we think.

What do you think?
In a perfect world, yes... it would be cool to hear yourself interacting with a game world, even better using your own voice and have ai react to what you physically say will be even better.

The ramifications of teaching a model your voice and not having complete control of it yourself is far too dangerous and I'd never do that.

If EA can get hacked on regular basis cause people are sad at apex, then hacking to steal a voice would be simple

Last edited:

PsyEd

Yes of course. Some say I sound like the late Sir Roger Moore...so I would love to do some VA work for The Saint game...if there is one.

Shuko

Neo Member
Yes! I would want a 2024 AI equivalent of EA GameFace or Rainbow Six Vegas face scans, but with today's tech.

The character creator could involve you reading a couple of paragraphs to train the model, and take a few photos of your face.

Paired up with my voice in game, I can can truly be immersed in the game.

Shubh_C63

I got a great voice I have been told.

But I don't want to be reminded of myself while having an avatar. who wants to play as a thin brown indian guy anyway.

SCB3

Fuck no, I’d fit into Final Fantasy XVI and Dragons Dogma 2 with my fucking Jon Snow accent

Top Bottom