• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your task is to redo the Wii U GamePad, what would you change/get rid off

Options on form factor/screensize/ergonomics
Range extender (something you plug in the wall to relay signal)
Hard switch to blank/turn off display.
A screen which responds to fingers like a capacitive touch screen.
Trigger buttons like GameCube.
USB charging as everyone else is mentioning it.

Battery life is already an optional accessory at a decent price.

There's no point in removing speakers when off-TV play is supposed to be the big feature of the thing, used by most games, not to mention the Wii U GamePad speakers are very good.
Thing about off TV play is if I had anyone who wanted to use the TV they would not appreciate Mario's whoops and screams during whatever they are watching meaning I either play in mute or using headphones.

- Removable screen to allow the pad to transform into a controller
- When playing on TV mode, the gamepad screen shuts off completely
- Better battery pack (Although Nintendo have done this with recent models)
- Analog placement a bit lower

Overall though, the controller is designed well. What I listed are little nitpicks. Except battery life, that one is just so bad. What is the point of off-screen play when it lasts 2 hours?

Edit:
Someone mention improving the range. I totally agree. I had issues where it was only 1 room apart and it would loose a connection.

MYE

This would be my proposal
(yeah I spent more time on this then I probably should :p)

ibbQsKcwznElky.jpg

Better look at the redesign

This would be my proposal
(yeah I spent more time on this then I probably should :p)

*HUGE IMAGE*

Better look at the redesign

I do like the general ideas presented here. I would say NFC would probably be able to be placed in the new design. You can put it right below the button space since that is filler. Otherwise, I agree.

MYE

I do like the general ideas presented here. I would say NFC would probably be able to be placed in the new design. You can put it right below the button space since that is filler. Otherwise, I agree.

I removed the NFC chip to cut costs, since they aren't really using it in any meaningful way.

SerodD

I would do something like this:

ds4mclnf.jpg

Just change the layout and the forms a bit to match the pro controler, also it should have all the current DS4 functionalities and sensors minus the RGB.

edit: Although the screen would be way smaller maybe something like 4'' it could still be used to navigate menus, maps, etc.

atr0cious

I would do something like this:

ds4mclnf.jpg

Just change the layout and the forms a bit to match the pro controler, also it should have all the current DS4 functionalities and sensors minus the RGB.

Lol who's gonna play this, ET? That thumbstick placement looks so uncomfortable.

Battery life is a big one. I can't believe that it runs out after 3/3.5 hours, even when playing Donkey Kong Country when the screen is off the whole time.

Also, I wish the A/B/X/Y face buttons mimicked the 360 layout, just so I wouldn't be confused all the time. Those buttons could also use a bit more "click" to them.

atr0cious

That why I said they should change both the layout and the controller forms, to make it more confortable and to match current Nintendo controllers layout.

Don't forget the point of the screen is to be able to comfortably play the HD games. Say what you will about the screen resolution, but Nintendo got the size just right, and going smaller really compromises that.

phanphare

Banned
Battery life is a big one. I can't believe that it runs out after 3/3.5 hours, even when playing Donkey Kong Country when the screen is off the whole time.

Also, I wish the A/B/X/Y face buttons mimicked the 360 layout, just so I wouldn't be confused all the time. Those buttons could also use a bit more "click" to them.

you mean you wish the A/B/X/Y face buttons on the 360 mimicked Nintendo's layout ;)

gemoran4

I'd remove the NFC chip, the internal battery, and the camera. I'd have the power cord for it optional (so it'd be similar to the old handhelds like the game gear, game boy color, etc where it can battery powered or powered through a cord). I think those three things along should knock off a decent amount in the cost of the thing.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
ha! I live by myself. off-TV play is fantastic and I use it all the time. I actually prefer to play some games off-TV like Nano Assault Neo. the other big use I have for off-TV play is if I want a football or basketball game on in the background but still want to get some gaming in. so yeah it's not just for people who share their TVs. just the other day I caught the 4th quarter of the Heat/Pacers game while collecting K-O-N-G letters in Tropical Freeze

ymmv of course but to make an assumption about anyone but yourself is not the best move imo

Fair points.

The Wii U was just a complete shit match for my gaming habits and genre interests, so I'm annoyed with myself for impulse buying it and a bit bitter about the whole platform/Nintendo in general. At least I only lost out $100 so from what I paid for everything to sell it off.

I just don't care much for their games anymore as I just don't like platformers, action games (W101), or JRPG ish type stuff (Pokemon, Fire Emblem etc.) anymore. And in general I'm just not into pure gameplay type games and prefer games with rich stories, characters, worlds to explore etc.

They're just a bad fit for me, despite my growing up on NES, SNES and N64, and owning every platform they put out sans Virtual Boy. They just don't fit my gaming interests anymore, and they'll never get another dime of my money for hardware. If they ever fail and go third party, I'd maybe buy an occasional game like Metroid. But I couldn't care less about Mario, Zelda, Pokemon etc. anymore.

And given how wed I am to traditional controls, and gaming on a huge TV with surround sound the vast majority of the time, their motion controls, touch screens, off TV play etc. stuff just does nothing for me. I want big spectacle focused, movie like games that take advantage of my home theater set up. Not gamplay focused, cartoony last gen graphics, lacking online features etc.

And I'm much more the norm than their fanbase, given the shit sales of the console. Maybe they can find a way to make a profit of their fanbase and kids/families with their next console--or a way to get non-gamers interested again like they did with Wii. But they're completely irrelvant to most mainstream/core gamers anymore outside of their niche of longtime fans that aren't sick of their games yet. But it is frustrating seeing them so ignoring the core gamer market when they pioneered it through the NES, SNES and N64 genres. Especially disappointing to see all the good FPS and western type exclusives dry up after stuff like Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Turok 1 & 2, Blast Corps etc. on the N64. But c'est le vie. Sony is doing a great job of matching my game and feature interests, so I'm happy to give them my money and ignore Nintendo and MS for the time being.

Damaniel

Banned
I'm nearly fine with it as-is. I'd prefer a capacitive/multi-touch capable screen, though. (More resolution wouldn't hurt, either).

nothing.

I am just joking bigger battery would be top then higher resolution, and capacitive touch i personally like the size.

Yep, this is all that needs changing, in my opinion too. Otherwise, I think it's pretty great as a controller.

I don't know if it counts, but I'd have also made the controller a fully functional tablet on it's own. Either stuff the guts of the system in the controller itself or just put a low powered tablet in there.

I don't think you can get rid of stuff like the motion controls. Those are kind of standard in games nowadays, even if they don't get a lot of use all the time.

The only concern about raising the resolution would probably be the streaming lag. I assume it would be a lot harder to stream in a higher resolution without getting hit with lag. I've used Airplay on my AppleTV and iPhone with games and the lag there is killer. The Wii U pad has almost no lag whatsoever.

OP you say that nobody can say they wouldn't have included it. However it would have probably beed the greatest move ever not to include it. If half of these suggestions people are saying were included it would have driven the cost of the console up even higher putting it into the ridiculous territory.

Everybody else has covered pretty much everything that needed done with it but the main issue is the quality of the screen and battery life.

End of the day though all the comments stating not to have it are right. They should have waited and released it as a peripheral at the end of this year when prices could be lower.

phanphare

Banned
Fair points.

The Wii U was just a complete shit match for my gaming habits and genre interests, so I'm annoyed with myself for impulse buying it and a bit bitter about the whole platform/Nintendo in general. At least I only lost out $100 so from what I paid for everything to sell it off.

I just don't care much for their games anymore as I just don't like platformers, action games (W101), or JRPG ish type stuff (Pokemon, Fire Emblem etc.) anymore. And in general I'm just not into pure gameplay type games and prefer games with rich stories, characters, worlds to explore etc.

They're just a bad fit for me, despite my growing up on NES, SNES and N64, and owning every platform they put out sans Virtual Boy. They just don't fit my gaming interests anymore, and they'll never get another dime of my money for hardware. If they ever fail and go third party, I'd maybe buy an occasional game like Metroid. But I couldn't care less about Mario, Zelda, Pokemon etc. anymore.

And given how wed I am to traditional controls, and gaming on a huge TV with surround sound the vast majority of the time, their motion controls, touch screens, off TV play etc. stuff just does nothing for me. I want big spectacle focused, movie like games that take advantage of my home theater set up. Not gamplay focused, cartoony last gen graphics, lacking online features etc.

And I'm much more the norm than their fanbase, given the shit sales of the console. Maybe they can find a way to make a profit of their fanbase and kids/families with their next console--or a way to get non-gamers interested again like they did with Wii. But they're completely irrelvant to most mainstream/core gamers anymore outside of their niche of longtime fans that aren't sick of their games yet. But it is frustrating seeing them so ignoring the core gamer market when they pioneered it through the NES, SNES and N64 genres. Especially disappointing to see all the good FPS and western type exclusives dry up after stuff like Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Turok 1 & 2, Blast Corps etc. on the N64. But c'est le vie. Sony is doing a great job of matching my game and feature interests, so I'm happy to give them my money and ignore Nintendo and MS for the time being.

well that was.....something haha

MYE

Fair points.

Refreshing to see people actually admit to want cinematic roller-coaster ride games over...apparently everything Nintendo does (?)
People complain the direction of vapid movie pretenses masking uninspired, samey game design the industry is adopting, but rarely find a specimen voicing its contribution to this popular trend.
Well there you go. Someone to agree or point fingers at lol

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Refreshing to see people actually admit to want cinematic roller-coaster ride games over...apparently everything Nintendo does (?)
People complain the direction of vapid movie pretenses masking uninspired, samey game design the industry is adopting, but rarely find a specimen voicing its contribution to this popular trend.
Well there you go. Someone to agree or point fingers at lol

I'll proudly wave that banner. I like movies, tv shows and books a lot more than I do gaming. So when I do game, I gravitate toward narrative driven stuff for the most part.

As I've gotten older, busier and more stressed out I just don't have the time or patience for mastering complex gameplay, dealing with hard games where I have to play sections, bosses etc. over and over.

I just want to veg out, relax and escape for reality a bit. Gameplay focused games require too much mental energy, hard games add stress and frustration to my already stressful life.

you mean you wish the A/B/X/Y face buttons on the 360 mimicked Nintendo's layout ;)

Mostly I wish Nintendo continued down the N64/GCN/Wii route where "A" is the primary button and "B" is secondary (something Microsoft adopted with the Xbox), It's been hard to go back to SNES-style after so many years.

phanphare

Banned
Mostly I wish Nintendo continued down the N64/GCN/Wii route where "A" is the primary button and "B" is secondary (something Microsoft adopted with the Xbox), It's been hard to go back to SNES-style after so many years.

is A not still the primary button? I'm pretty sure it is...it's just not at the bottom of the diamond

edit: also I was just teasing :p

SerodD

Don't forget the point of the screen is to be able to comfortably play the HD games. Say what you will about the screen resolution, but Nintendo got the size just right, and going smaller really compromises that.

Off tvplay is still possible with a 4'' screen, I guess it would be harder too look at, but I would prefer better hardware with a cheaper controller, even if off-tvplay takes a hit.

MYE

I'll proudly wave that banner. I like movies, tv shows and books a lot more than I do gaming. So when I do game, I gravitate toward narrative driven stuff for the most part.

As I've gotten older, busier and more stressed out I just don't have the time or patience for mastering complex gameplay, dealing with hard games where I have to play sections, bosses etc. over and over.

I just want to veg out, relax and escape for reality a bit. Gameplay focused games require too much mental energy, hard games add stress and frustration to my already stressful life.

Fair enough

Top Bottom