• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's discuss our favorite (NON-CHEAT) auto-leveling/grinding tricks

Nekemancer

Neo Member
My brother and I abused the hell out of this one when we were kids. In Final Fantasy 7, there was an island with a beach that would only start battles with giant worms. These guys gave a good chunk of AP, were not especially strong, and had an group hitting earth attack. So you set your team to absorb earth, equip high materia growth items with whatever you want to level, stick the confirm button down on a rapid fire controller, and hold a direction to loop on the beach, and you'd level your materia super quick. Great for mastering Alls for cash, HP+, whatever really.

In Final Fantasy 9, if Freya wins the hunt you get a Coral Ring, which absorbs lightning. In Gizamaluke's Grotto, you can climb up and fight dragons that around level 60 or so, and you're only in your teens. Using sheer dumb luck, the ring to absorb their lightning attack, and good ability usage, you can actually manage to kill one and get tons of exp. Save, repeat till you manage another kill. Eventually it gets easier and easier to win, until you're just grinding on them and you've jumped a solid 40(ish? been a while) levels.

One I only learned about relatively recently was in King's Field 2. There are a couple of spiders with only fire type attacks. There's also an armor that negates all fire damage. The spiders are placed at points where you can loop pretty much as long as you want to respawn and kill them.

These can definitely can make a playthrough really different and a lot of fun, but I never abuse this sort of thing on my first time through.

Murugo

To get to level 99 in Kingdom Hearts II, at the top of Prode Rock there's a swarm of aero riders you can take out easily with lightning magic. Leave two rooms, head back, rinse and repeat.

Edit: Should probably read the first page before posting.

I never personally tried it, but I'm told you could exploit your agility up by making something press down the W key in morrowind while you were facing a wall and come back the next day.

Duress

Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars. Grab star power up, run around kill stuff, get into battle after buff is gone, kill self, repeat.

Top Bottom