• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's have a Dolan thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrizzNKev

Banned
I knew once this started showing up on tumblr it was only a matter of time. Now it's filled with LELELE RAYGE FAYCES XDDDDDDDDDDDDD and it's being made on ragebuilder and posted on GAF.

The days of funny dolan are over.

marrec

Banned
Holy fucking shit. I knew once this started showing up on tumblr it was only a matter of time. Now it's filled with LELELE RAYGE FAYCES XDDDDDDDDDDDDD and its being made on ragebuilder and posted on GAF.

The days of funny dolan are over, and fuck you people who say that jimmies shit outside of /v/.

I think it's great that people are getting pissed that this terribly unfunny meme is getting the usual meme treatment. Isn't it just another aspect of the supposed subversive nature and deeper meanings of it?

Karl2177

Holy fucking shit. I knew once this started showing up on tumblr it was only a matter of time. Now it's filled with LELELE RAYGE FAYCES XDDDDDDDDDDDDD and its being made on ragebuilder and posted on GAF.

The days of funny dolan are over, and fuck you people who say that jimmies shit outside of /v/.

This rage rustles my jimmies.

GrizzNKev

Banned

I think it's great that people are getting pissed that this terribly unfunny meme is getting the usual meme treatment. Isn't it just another aspect of the supposed subversive nature and deeper meanings of it?

The NSFW ones, you know, the ones that were disgusting and sexual and terrible, I could laugh at them just because of how stupid they were. And you didn't see them posted anywhere other than 4chan because nobody wanted to touch that kind of stuff.

Then a few people decide to spread it around, and you get this AHAHAH SOO FAHNNNY U CHEETIN ME DOLYN? LELELELELELELE let's all laugh at this and repeat it so many times nobody remembers what it was about anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LE

HuYOw.jpg

This one does what now? Puts in LE, a movie reference, and an "everything went better than expected" LE MEMEME JAOK XD!

None of this is at all related to what the original ones were about: violence, obscenity, and so forth. Just like everything else that has become popular it has been degraded to the simplest status possible to discern out of context: misspellings = dolan. Just like joke = troll, pleause = me gusta, etc. etc. etc. Its value is gone.

D.Lo

Yes it's basically over, there've been pokemon ones etc for ages, but the odd classic still pops up, and new things afterward have been influenced by it (a deliberate 'modernist' vibe in my opinion).

Jimmies will be dead soon too, mostly due to the /b/ troll on Fox News making it famous.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Yes it's basically over, there've been pokemon ones etc for ages, but the odd classic still pops up, and new things afterward have been influenced by it (a deliberate 'modernist' vibe in my opinion).

Jimmies will be dead soon too, mostly due to the /b/ troll on Fox News making it famous.

Reddit ruins everything. I feel uncomfortable going anywhere other than /v/ most of the time just because it shields me from the usual bullshit that happens around the rest of the internet. Sometimes I forget how worthless and stupid the majority of society is, and that they have no actual sense of humor and only thrive on endless repetition instead of originality.

For people who don't get it, what D.Lo has been trying to say is that reddit is the Rovio of the internet, and they do it with everything that was once funny or interesting.

D.Lo

Reddit ruins everything. I feel uncomfortable going anywhere other than /v/ most of the time just because it shields me from the usual bullshit that happens around the rest of the internet. Sometimes I forget how worthless and stupid the majority of society is, and that they have no actual sense of humor and only thrive on endless repetition instead of originality.

For people who don't get it, what D.Lo has been trying to say is that reddit is the Rovio of the internet, and they do it with everything that was once funny or interesting.
Going a bit far there dude!

Reddit has gone way downhill, overrun by stupid kids, but still has some value as an aggregator in my opinion. But that's not even the main threat, 9gag has had explosive growth and it makes Reddit look like mature adults with cutting edge taste.

This is just how trends work. Just like how kids ruined [insert musical genre here]. It's the democratisation and homogenisation of yet another formerly exclusive domain.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Going a bit far there dude!

Reddit has gone way downhill, overrun by stupid kids, but still has some value as an aggregator in my opinion. But that's not even the main threat, 9gag has had explosive growth and it makes Reddit look like mature adults with cutting edge taste.

This is just how trends work. Just like how kids ruined [insert musical genre here]. It's the democratisation and homogenisation of yet another formerly exclusive domain.

The comparison doesn't matter when all you have to do is look at the pipeline. Reddit is part of that process and just as responsible as tumblr, facebook, 9gag, and whatever else.

Karl2177

The comparison doesn't matter when all you have to do is look at the pipeline. Reddit is part of that process and just as responsible as tumblr, facebook, 9gag, and whatever else.

When I see my friends post something on Facebook, I know it's time to hipster up on move on to something new.

On another note, I just got your avatar. Clever, my good friend.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
It'll all be fine until dolan is incorporated in rage comics.

DJ88

'Good' Dolan (4chan not Reddit creations or worse - mind you I use Reddit to view the best of 4chan) is the best current-ish meme because it's both a stripped-down raw version and a subvertive parody of the Rage form. They're deliberately obscene and ugly and copyright infringing to make sure it cannot ever be mainstream.

Remember 'Race Guy'? (It was 4chan's attempt to discredit Rage face to prevent it becoming commoditised) Even though they were deliberately racist I loved that brief period. The racism was largely completely ironic, it was a parody of racism. The jokes themselves were awful, and usually tired stereotype based. Few were actually witty. But the meta-contextualism of the whole thing was magnificent.

Dolan’s main meaning is pretty much the same as Race Guy, a scorched earth policy on internet trends.

Those new ones with the original Disney art are the next step because they undo the context yet again.

Dolan is dying though because the odd 9gag ‘original’ has been turning up on tumblr etc, a few even have rage faces in them. Kids who don’t understand the meta-meaning have picked it up and run with it, so it’ll be gone soon as any form of meaningful force. Same thing is happening to Jimmy now too.

It's not really the jokes that are funny with Dolan, it's what it represents - the simultaneous evolution and devolution of language and meaning in the meme sphere. It's the Monty Python of memes, a sense of the ridiculous created by exaggerating what's already being done to crazy proportions. It just happenned that this outlet was with poorly drawn Disney characters.

Rage comics got overtaken by mundane real life activities being depicted as observational comedy. Witness the watering down of Me Gusta from what was originally meant to mean 'disgusting pleasure' (things like enjoying smelling farts) to mean pleasure of any sort, it became just another 'fuck yeah' type response. Stuff like Spiderpman had to be created to fill the void of the original Me Gusta face's meaning. Troll took off because of great Troll physics jokes, and now has been used just to denote 'asshole' as often as not.

And it all became too clean. All those traced celebrities, kids stating the obvious over and over, too many panels, boring politically correct content...

Dolan's broken, inconsistent art (stolen from a Dutch board originally if I remember correctly?), completely childish broken English, and over the top violence and sex were originally counterpoints to the swamp of meaningless Rage. Witness also 'Monkey Face!' a few weeks ago, which was a parody of the way lower-rung sites trace over anything 4chan puts out there and calls it a Rage face.

Of course Dolan has also become what it paradies, as someone said last page. And there are now a few face-value meme elements to it that are quite funny, Gooby Plz with the main Dolan face is a great punchline.

Finally someone who gets it and is able to put into words. Of course some of them completely miss the mark but the ones that do are great. People who don't get it just see things at face value. "Crappy art and awful grammar. Sucks!"

If our children write college theses on internet memes of the early to teen 2000s then I will be very sad

New Paradigms in the Study of Dolan: A Normative Critique

Funniest thing happened today. A while ago I showed my sister (who loves trolldad) some Dolan comics but she obviously didn't get it, and seemed almost angry at them.

Then while having lunch with my mum today I was browsing my phone and came across dolan, so showed her the comic and she loved it and couldn't stop laughing.

Now I don't know what the hell to think.

The NSFW ones, you know, the ones that were disgusting and sexual and terrible, I could laugh at them just because of how stupid they were. And you didn't see them posted anywhere other than 4chan because nobody wanted to touch that kind of stuff.

Then a few people decide to spread it around, and you get this AHAHAH SOO FAHNNNY U CHEETIN ME DOLYN? LELELELELELELE let's all laugh at this and repeat it so many times nobody remembers what it was about anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LE

[IMGø]http://i.imgur.com/HuYOw.jpg[/IMG]

This one does what now? Puts in LE, a movie reference, and an "everything went better than expected" LE MEMEME JAOK XD!

None of this is at all related to what the original ones were about: violence, obscenity, and so forth. Just like everything else that has become popular it has been degraded to the simplest status possible to discern out of context: misspellings = dolan. Just like joke = troll, pleause = me gusta, etc. etc. etc. Its value is gone.

Think le is in there exactly to get a reaction like that, it's meta, maang.

If the Dolan comics are about Dolan being a fucking jerk I think Disney did it better with its originals:
donaldduckyoujerk.jpg

I like the Goofy pls ones if they are well done (there are good and horrible ones with that pun) but I dont think the nearly satanic and pedophile jerk ones works that well, although some of them are funny.

marrec

Banned
It's not really the jokes that are funny with Dolan, it's what it represents - the simultaneous evolution and devolution of language and meaning in the meme sphere.

That statement is the funniest thing about this thread.

Zia

If the Dolan comics are about Dolan being a fucking jerk I think Disney did it better with its originals

Pretty much. Barks is doing backflips in his grave. Didn't know what "Dolan" meant until today. It's like Johnny Ryan or Brunetti's Nancy for unintelligent, sheltered people.

NSFW Dolan comics are worst Dolan comics. Advance upon me, brethren.

Holy fucking shit. I knew once this started showing up on tumblr it was only a matter of time. Now it's filled with LELELE RAYGE FAYCES XDDDDDDDDDDDDD and it's being made on ragebuilder and posted on GAF.

What a bizarre thing to say. How are the two even related?

Though I find Doland pretty awesome, a dedicated thread for it seems like a bad idea. I've only seen 3 funny ones so far. Everyone thinks they can make a doland comic by typing something random in Dolan spelling and ending it with pls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom