• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's hear it for tragically underrated sci-fi flicks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fari

BNI2w.jpg
jFh3Z.jpg
2pimR.jpg

Haven't actually seen Time Masters yet, but I'll get around to it.

Brak

If anything, Dark City is overrated.

Gotta agree with this. I remember loving Dark City when I saw it originally as a teenager. I recently re-watched it and found the movie to be cliche and predictable. The visuals are still fantastic though.

Yasae

Banned
TheAbyss.jpg

I love this movie and I've never met anyone who likes it anywhere near as much as I do.

Still the greatest Director's Cut ever, I can't believe how much they butchered the film for the theatrical cut.
Indeed. Also some very strong performances by Ed Harris and Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio.

Zizbuka

Banned
So underrated that it should be a crime. If you can someday watch it with an audience, please do. That ending causes so much shock and aww, man... Love this flick.

ibyQ0QjcZSkli1.png

Loved the movie until they went underground. Then it took on a Clowns From Outer Space vibe.

Yagharek

I would nominate The Cube and The Man From Earth. Although I'm going to assume neither film is unknown to gaf or even considered obscure.

Jurassic Park, before there was a Jurassic Park:

265600_det.jpg

Oh, Westworld is the shit! Obviously low budget but it skillfully uses its means just like all great films. Simplistic but in a great way, like John Ford's westerns. Retro-futuristic but totally 1970s cheesy (which is totally badass)

I'd have to say The Terminator before there was a Terminator (dat cover)

I would nominate The Cube and The Man From Earth. Although I'm going to assume neither film is unknown to gaf or even considered obscure.

Like horror flicks, the problem with naming an "underrated" sci-fi film is that, if it's obscure, it probably has a loyal following.

iammeiam

Cube Zero might count as unknown? I've heard a lot about Cube, and then a lot about how frigging terrible Cube 2 was (which is justified since it was awful), but the third movie/prequel doesn't come up a lot.

Cube Zero wasn't the greatest movie, but I liked it well enough and it was a good recovery from the cliff the second installment had jumped off of.

Does this count?

220px-Twelve_monkeysmp.jpg

God I love this movie. I had watched it many times and loved it while not realising something about the final scene on the plane. After watching it again for the xth time I suddenly realised that thing in the final scene I had have never noticed. Completely changed the ending of the movie and blew my mind.

B.K.

stCkM.jpg

I really liked that movie when I was a kid for the giant robot fights. I don't know if it holds up today. I haven't seen it in probably 20 years. I actually forgot about it until someone reminded me of it a few years ago. You never hear anyone talk about the movie.

Kinyou

The alternate ending is much better.
Where the 'killer' turns out to be an automated system, a kind of Von Neumann machine that detects species capable of stellar engineering, sets them up with a test scenario (dying sun)identifies that as a threat and destroys them. The first group actually fails in its attempt and so the Von Neumann machine lets earth survive. When the second group gets there and succeeds, it apologizes (in the form of the 'killer') and ironically wipes out Earth BECAUSE they made it.
Sorry but that sounds kinda stupid. I'll gladly take the science vs religion approach over that.

And 12 monkeys underrated? Come on, Pitt was even nominated for an Oscar.

LayLa

There have been a few decent Asian time travel films in recent years that most people don't seem to know about (and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, of course!)

cyborgshe2.jpg

Cyborg She (2008) aka Cyborg Girl aka My Girlfriend is a Cyborg

Lonely guy meets a girl on his birthday, they hang out for a day and then she disappears.
Exactly a year later he meets her again, but this time she's more ... mechanical?
Fun sci-fi/comedy film with lots of nods to other sci-fi films, there's about 20 minutes in the middle that could have easily been cut out but the ending is really well done.

Summer_time_machine_blues.jpg

Summer Time Machine Blues (2005)

It's a very hot summer day in the science fiction club when the remote for the air conditioning breaks.
Luckily the nerds in the club have just stumbled across a time machine. All they need to do is travel back a day & steal the remote before it breaks. What could possibly go wrong?
This is a really funny film with all sorts of time travel hijinks, a whole film of scenes like that bit in Bill & Ted when they figure out how to get the keys to get Beethoven etc out of prison.

The only movie I have ever fallen asleep during.

It's in a strange place, it's terribly and utterly boring if you haven't read the book and can still be if you have. So it has to appeal to fans of the books, but then it makes so many changes (and it would lose fans no matter how close or not it was anyway).

The only movie I've feel asleep during that I remember was the notebook.

That ending of Zardoz stuck to me even to this day.

When he ages? And it keeps fading in? Is that how it ends? I forget...

Edit: and oh god brazil. If you ever want a shitty laugh watch the tv edit. How can you royally fuck up a film so badly.

Suairyu

Banned
I'd say Highlander, but for Highlander to be considered sci-fi you'd have to watch the atrocious second film, and then forget all about the second film anyway lest it taint your appreciation of the original.

Anyways, my vote would have to be Moon. Every time I mention it's existence to my friends they have the most quizzical look. It's really fucking sad.
You have got to be joking. Textbook example of a film being tragically overrated for me. Might have enjoyed it if I wasn't going in expecting a decent dose of hard sci-fi.

Instead of that, it gave me the weirdest buddy movie ever.

pringles

Sunshine's 3rd act only really bothered me on 1st watch cause I was disappointed they went that route.

On subsequent viewings when I know what to expect, I've warmed to it. The first 2 acts are AMAZING, some of the best sci-fi I've seen, easily. And the 3rd act has some really good stuff, like the guy trying to fix the cooling, and everything after Capa dons the spacesuit.. and the music and the visuals. My god, it's such a beautiful movie.

And I agree with Moon as underrated/overlooked. Not many people seem to know about it, but it's such a cool film.

Also I have to mention Deep Impact. Often gets clumped in with Armaggeddon as bad/cheesy disaster movies. Sometimes even with Deep Impact being called worse than Armaggeddon. Which is crazy. I love Deep Impact. It has awesome Robert Duvall being a hero. Young Elijah Wood escaping a tsunami. Best president ever in Morgan Freeman. What's not to like?

God I love this movie. I had watched it many times and loved it while not realising something about the final scene on the plane. After watching it again for the xth time I suddenly realised that thing in the final scene I had have never noticed. Completely changed the ending of the movie and blew my mind.
..yes? go on. What was it??

I'd say Highlander, but for Highlander to be considered sci-fi you'd have to watch the atrocious second film, and then forget all about the second film anyway lest it taint your appreciation of the original.

You have got to be joking. Textbook example of a film being tragically overrated for me. Might have enjoyed it if I wasn't going in expecting a decent dose of hard sci-fi.

Instead of that, it gave me the weirdest buddy movie ever.

Isn't it the third one thats all about the barbarian that awoke under the ice? Also the second highlander is the biggest quality drop from movie to sequel ever.

stCkM.jpg

I really liked that movie when I was a kid for the giant robot fights. I don't know if it holds up today. I haven't seen it in probably 20 years. I actually forgot about it until someone reminded me of it a few years ago. You never hear anyone talk about the movie.

All I remember is there was a bunch of tits in it. Do I recall correctly?

SmartBase

The alternate ending is much better.
Where the 'killer' turns out to be an automated system, a kind of Von Neumann machine that detects species capable of stellar engineering, sets them up with a test scenario (dying sun)identifies that as a threat and destroys them. The first group actually fails in its attempt and so the Von Neumann machine lets earth survive. When the second group gets there and succeeds, it apologizes (in the form of the 'killer') and ironically wipes out Earth BECAUSE they made it.

That...would've been a fucking awesome ending.

Event Horizon
MPW-53388

I think this one's the only WS Anderson movie I've ever liked.

The Fountain (critically panned on release)
220px-Fountain_poster_1.jpg

Hugh Jackman pours his heart out in his performance. An eternal sci-fi love story through the ages. One of the best scores with Clint Mansell. Does anyone have the director's commentary? (PM me if so)

Animatrix doesn't get enough love. WATCH IT ON YOUTUBE.

animatrix21nz5.jpg

anime_gallery_sec_ren_2hl.jpg

Second Renaissance is one of the most in-depth robot revolutions. This is all NIGHTMARE FUEL. Horrific imagery (that woman getting literally ripped to shreds is obscene), great score, memorable quotes, and the documentary approach with the narrator does wonders as a great emotional roller-coaster. The humans being made to laugh/cry because the Sentinels are poking at their brain centers has never left me, esp as now I'm a med student.

i9TBYHS4ffV0D.jpg

Kid's Story is such a good cyberpunk david vs goliath story, and I love that sketchy animation style. "Somebody tell me. Why it feels more real when I dream then when I'm awake?" This might have the most beautiful suicide scene, which isn't a spoiler since it starts that way.

ir8b3dH0Umnja.gif

Beyond+23.jpg

Beyond has this child-like naivete towards an anomaly in the Matrix, that awe and wonder ripped straight from a kids adventure film from the 80s. DOVES IN SLOW MOTION.

galmcl04.jpg

the-animatrix-8.jpg

chung01_Matriculated.jpg

Matriculated is a tragic robot/human love story. The ending is heart-breaking. The world of the Matrix here is so much more grim than the movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom