• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's look back at PS3 and Xbox 360 exclusives!

Last gen is pretty much dead outside some few releases. But man what a wild ride it was, from 2005 to present we were presented with 4 generations of graphics, tons of games, changes in features and OS, motion stuff that people now don't really want to talk about and so on.

SO I though let's compare the retail games you can only get on one of these platforms over the other by YEAR so we can see how things ended up, notice any trends, or deciding which you think had the better ones overall.

Xbox 360 Exclusives 2005:

Kameo
Amped 3
Project Gotham 3
Ridge Racer 6
Dead or Alive 4
Perfect Dark Zero

Xbox 360 Exclusives 2006:

Far Cry Instincts Predator
Rumble Roses
The Outfit
Full Auto
Bomberman Act Zero
Saints Row
Moto GP 2006
Tom Clancy GRAW
Over G Fightersy
Chrome Hounds
Ninety-Nine-Nights
Dead Rising
Import Tuner Challenge
Dead Or Alive Xtreme 2

Playstation 3 Exclusives 2006:

Ridge Racer 7
Genji Days of Blade
Resistance: Fall of Man
Gundam Crossfire
Full Auto 2
Untold Legends

Xbox 360 Exclusives 2007:

Halo 3
Forza Motorsport 2
Crackdown
Tenchu Z
Kengo Legend of 9
Beautiful Katamari
Project Sylpheed
Dance Dance Revolution Universe
Fuzion Frenzy 2
Bullet Witch
Ace Combat 6
WarTech
Blue Dragon
Project Gotham 4

Playstation 3 Exclusives 2007:

Motorstorm
Lair
WarHawk
Uncharted
Heavenly Sword
Time Crisis 4
Eye of Judgement
Folklore
Formula One Championship Edition
Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction

Xbox 360 Exclusives 2008:

Lost Odyssey
Culdcept Saga
Too Human
Infinite Undiscovery
Viva Pinata Trouble In paradise
Fable II
Gears of War 2
Banjo-Kazooie Nuts and Bolts
Dance Dance Revolution Universe 2
Dance Dance Revolution Universe 3
Kingdom Under Fire Circle of Doom
Operation Darkness
Spectral Force 3
Zoids Assault
Guilty Gear 2
Scene It? Box Office Smash
Lips
You're in the Movies
Naruto Broken Bond

Playstation 3 Exclusives 2008:

Haze
MotorStorm Pacific Rift
Hotshots Golf 5
Metal Gear Solid IV
Siren
SIngsstar
Disgaea 3
Resistance 2
SOCOM Confrontation
Little Big Planet
SingStar Vol.2
Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm
Buzz Quiz TV
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue

Xbox 360 Exclusives 2009:

Halo Wars
Halo ODST
Onechambara Bikini Samurai Squad
Magnacarta II
Forza Motorsport 3
Lips Number one Hits
Indie 50 Evolution
Race Pro
Stocked
Qubed

Playstation 3 Exclusives 2009:

Killzone 2
Infamous
Cross Edge
Uncharted 2
Ratchet and CLank: Crack in Time
Demon souls
Afrika
Katamari Forever
Buzz Quiz World

Xbox 360 Exclusives 2010:

Ninety-Nine Nights II
Lips Party Classics
Crackdown 2
Halo Reach
Morphx
Naval Assault

Playstation 3 Exclusives 2010:

MAG
Eyepet
Yakuza 3
White Knight Chronicles
3D Dot Game Heroes
Gran Tursimo 5
Modnations Racers
Trinity Universe
Atelier RoRora
Heavy Rain
God of War 3
Time Crisis Razing Storm
Last Rebellion
John Daly Golf

Xbox 360 Exclusives 2011:

Gears of War 3
Forza Motorsport 4
Otemedus Excellent
HALO CE Anniversary

Playstation 3 Exclusives 2011:

Little Big Planet 2
Killzone 3
SOCOM 4
Yakuza 4
Motorstorm Apocalypse
Diagaea 4
Infamous 2
Ar tonelico Qoga
Uncharted 3
Bleach Resurrection
White Knight Chronicles 2
Resistance 3
Trinity Souls
Atelier Totori
Ratchet and Clank All 4 one

Xbox 360 Exclusives 2012:

Halo 4
Forza Horizon
Akai Katana

Playstation 3 Exclusives 2012:

Twisted Metal
Atelier Meruru
Starhawk
Time and Eternity
One Piece Pirate Warriors
Little Big Planet Karting
Ratchet and CLank Frontal Assault
Yakuza Dead Souls

Xbox 360 Exclusives 2013:

Gears of War Judgement

Playstation 3 Exclusives 2013:

Ni No Kuni
Atelier Ayesha
The Guided Fate Paradox
God of War Ascension
TLOU
Beyond Two Souls
Tales of Xillia
Hot SHots Golf 6
Mugen Souls Z
Disgaea D2
One Piece Pirate Warriors 2
Pupeteer
Gran Turismo 6

Xbox 360 Exclusives 2014:

Playstation 3 Exclusives 2014:

Atelier Escha & Logy
Magus
Tales of Xilia
Witch and hundred Knights
DrakenGard 3

Now of course, I didn't use Kinect or Move/Wonderbook games, and I didn't use consoles exclusives, but I say you can notice quite a few things starting 2011 in particular.

Overall I say I like the 360 exclusives, better, it kept up until the end of 2010, and we got some good stuff in 2011, although that was the peaking of Kinect. 2012 was slow but we got a new consoles in 2013. Though as for 2013 in terms of the PS4 it seemed to devolve into odd experiments and Jrpgs, which makes it close but makes the PS3 fall off just as the wrong time for me.

But man one exclusive in 2013 for Xbox 360. I mean looking back Kinect did WORK I mean it worked really well in terms of games and people buying them. But 2013 was also the year it's popularity was fading. But I guess the XO was preparing for lauch a year or so before so I suppose they thought the could kick start it up again.

The PS3 had a brutal first few years. I mean even in 2008 with MGS 4, all you really had that year was meh along with a failed FPS halo killer and a prologue to GT5. 2009 though it started getting good.

It also makes me question where Halo/Gears/Forza meme came from when the only time that seems to be accurate was 2011 and 2012, in which 2013 you had one game and the launch of a new consoles with a bunch of new ips and older ips that weren't Halo/Gears Forza.

Also the PS3 got quite a few of those B class Jrpgs that no one brought. I wonder why they put those on the PS3 instead of the WIi or a portable consoles. I mean Cross Edge is basically an rpg maker games, I mean go look at it.

Now imo, going off both the BEST YEAR for the 360 was 2007 and the BEST YEAR for the PS3 was 2009. The 360 in 2007 had the big hitters, mostly successful experimental and miscellaneous titles, and pretty much had something for everyone. The PS3 in 2009, had gotten the gameplay of previous attempts (that gen) right for games such as Uncharted Ratchet etc. Had a lot of variety, and had quite a few surprise gems.

Id say the worst year for the 360 would be 2014, because it was pretty much a console exclusive/third-party entry level box at that point. While the PS3's worst year is probably 2007, just bad games, meh games, nothing to really push you in, like 2 good games, maybe 3 depending on your preference I'll give it's launch a slide..

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I continually forget that Wet is a PS360 exclusive. I see it at a mate's place and think, "I should buy it on Steam!" only to later remind myself that a PC version doesn't exist.

theecakee

For me, I used 360 mostly from 2005-2010 and 2010-2013 was PS3 when I got a slim. Microsoft just went too far trying to replicate the casual market luck Nintendo had, and put all their cards in the Kinect. Sony however really pulled their shit together and made some quality games when Microsoft did this. I think the momentum from the end of the generation has a lot to do with the PS4 success.

2013 was some goat year just with Ni no Kuni tbh easily ahead of the entire 360 exclusive Library for me ������

Field Theme

Ni No Kuni was so good, one of the best games of the generation imo.

yyr

If you count digital exclusives, both consoles have lots more, especially the 360, due in large part to both XBLA and the 3500+ XBLIG (some of which were actually really good). If you count Japanese games too, 360 has something like 20+ exclusive shmups as well.

My opinion was, is, and will always be that the 360 has an unmatched, god-tier library, but also that the PS3 had enough great exclusives that owning it was a requirement. Even though many of those exclusives have been re-released on PS4, there are still quite a number that weren't and will never be. Having an arcade-perfect copy of Deadstorm Pirates...awesome.

LycanXIII

You didn't included the first Gears of War or Last of Us. When they launched they were "exclusive," there were no other ports of them.

rdytoroll

Xbox 360 was a goddamn beast the first few years, I loved my Xbox. Then the PS3 went crazy with exclusives especially in 2010/11 and going forward. At that point it was too late for me to jump in and I just waited for the PS4. I'll never forget those Xbox years though, what a great console

Some PS3 exclusives off the top of my head that didn't make it out of Japan/Asia...

Boku no Natsuyasumi 3 (My Summer Holiday 3)
Aquanaut's Holiday
Toro! Let's Party

I've got the Chinese version of Toro complete with English subtitles. Borked translation aside, it's a very endearing little game, and pretty enjoyable for a mini-game collection. Bastard hard platinum though.

delSai

Yeah there are a few games missing, like one of my favorite Playstation Multiplayer games, PlayStation All-Stars. Hoping for a sequel to get announced later this year.
Man Starhawk, Twisted Metal and All-Stars all in 2012, what a year for multiplayer.

You didn't included the first Gears of War or Last of Us. When they launched they were "exclusive," there were no other ports of them.

Heavy Rain, God of War 3, The Last of Us?

I think its cause they were remastered for ps4 but its weird cause the 360s Halos are there even though the Master Chief Collection exists so im not sure

Ni No Kuni was so good, one of the best games of the generation imo.

Definitely.

Yeah there are a few games missing, like one of my favorite Playstation Multiplayer games, PlayStation All-Stars. Hoping for a sequel to get announced later this year.
Man Starhawk, Twisted Metal and All-Stars all in 2012, what a year for multiplayer.

I'm assuming he's excluding anything that's on Vita also. Hence why All-Stars and MLB are not listed.

Zophar

The streams cross big time in 2009. 2005-08 were great for the 360 but 2009-14 on the PS3 blow it out of the water.

Trago

Man, Microsoft had a good variety of stuff before 2010. The shift in focus to entertainment apps and Kinect really hurt them.

Man, Microsoft had a good variety of stuff before 2010. The shift in focus to entertainment apps and Kinect really hurt them.

It didn't hurt them at all. That's why they did the shift. It just blinded them from seeing it wouldn't work again a second time. (Granted Kinect 2 for Xbox One did sell ok for a bit but they abandoned pushing it even before they did the unbundling.

Nosgotham

I don't have to when that's every game on the list and I didn't list any PSN/XBL titles.

for clarity's sake and a better OP i think it should be stated.

on topic: this list shows why i skipped to PS3 in 2009. thats when it started to truly dominate the games the xbox offered imo

id like to see a list of Wii exclusives by year here too!

Trago

It didn't hurt them at all. That's why they did the shift. It just blinded them from seeing it wouldn't work again a second time. (Granted Kinect 2 for Xbox One did sell ok for a bit but they abandoned pushing it even before they did the unbundling.

Guess that's one way to look at it. I wanna see them publish something along the lines of Lost Odyssey or Blue Dragon again. Up the variety and one up the competition again.

Eusis

Damn, what happened to MS after 2010. Barely any exclusives :/
Part of why I veered away from 360 then, also was getting kind of frustrated with Microsoft at that time while Sony was doing more of what I wanted (generally.) Comes and goes I suppose, the always online fiasco left a bad taste in my mouth but if money were better now I'd be more open to playing on XB1 due to the exclusives it has now and Microsoft trying to course correct where they had been going wrong. They still get to me at times, but part of that is PR speak and that's PR speak.

Guess that's one way to look at it. I wanna see them publish something along the lines of Lost Odyssey or Blue Dragon again. Up the variety and one up the competition again.

I mean the Xbox one Exclusives been decent, the issue is exclusives aren't really a thing in the market anymore.

Megatron

Now imo, going off both the BEST YEAR for the 360 was 2007 and the BEST YEAR for the PS3 was 2007. The 360 in 2007 had the big hitters, mostly successful experimental and miscellaneous titles, and pretty much had something for everyone. The PS3 in 2009, had gotten the gameplay of previous attempts (that gen) right for games such as Uncharted Ratchet etc. Had a lot of variety, and had quite a few surprise gems.

Id say the worst year for the 360 would be 2014, because it was pretty much a console exclusive/third-party entry level box at that point. While the PS3's worst year is probably 2007, just bad games, meh games, nothing to really push you in, like 2 good games, maybe 3 depending on your preference I'll give it's launch a slide..

Errr..... what?

The 360 had Halo Reach, Crackdown 2, etc. in 2010, the last year of great exclusives. I mean well, Forza and Gears were also great but we baiscally got like 1-3 games for the rest of the way and 0 in 2014 in terms of exclusives (Console exclusives yeah but that's not what this thread is)

But remember, Kinect sold like over 25 million I believe? It was off the wall, and there were if I am not mistaken 32 kinect games you could only get on Kinect, it WORKED, and I mean it worked AMAZINGLY so I can't really say I was surprised at the shift to only a few exclusives in 2011/12/13.

jelly

Lol, that Microsoft change. How disappointing. Seeing how it changes over the years to absolute sod all. Microsoft are even paying for that right now on Xbox One.

I know it would take ages so no need but XBLA had some great stuff.

Top Bottom