• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's look back at the Wii Shop pt. 2 - what are the best WiiWare games?

Stopdoor

Contra Rebirth is a solid game, I'm more partial to Contra 4 but there's nothing really off about Rebirth other than a bizarre plot, it has neat visual effects and cool set-pieces.

pots555

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna be the only one in the world to say this game, but here we go:

Let's catch.

Let's_Catch_Coverart.png

It's such a simple and relaxing game. You play catch with different characters and the more you play, the harder it gets. Also, you get closer to each one of them and they start telling you about their life, to the sound of a super relaxing music. You even get to try it out with an alien life form.

1245350582.jpg

Castlevania The Adventure Rebirth is SO good.

castlevania-the-adventure-rebirth-wii-028.jpg

Great old school Castlevania gameplay with a very Konami arcade style sounding soundtrack.

http://youtu.be/hZFZu3AvSSE

A great mix of classic Castlevania tracks with a great art style, strong level design and the game doesn't overstay it's welcome. Anyone with a Wii or WiiU who enjoys 2D platformers need to treat themselves to this game.

Thanks for the heads-up on the Rebirth titles by the way, might pick up Castlevania. I'm a bit bored of the Symphony of the Night style games ( as good as they are, the RPG mechanics make the combat and progression feel superficial at times ) and want something more traditional.

Thanks for the heads-up on the Rebirth titles by the way, might pick up Castlevania. I'm a bit bored of the Symphony of the Night style games ( as good as they are, the RPG mechanics make the combat and progression feel superficial at times ) and want something more traditional.

Now, semi-unrelated to the topic, if you want to play one of the best 2D platformers ever made then check out Dracula X: Rondo of Blood. It's on the Wii Shop Channel.

Now, semi-unrelated to the topic, if you want to play one of the best 2D platformers ever made then check out Dracula X: Rondo of Blood. It's on the Wii Shop Channel.

I'm actually playing through that again right now! Though it's the PSP version, which means waiting 2 minutes to get into the game after loading Dracula X Chronicles and picking the original game from the main menu, and the image isn't native.

The remake isn't half bad too, though 30fps really kills the fluidity. I don't think the new visuals have aged anywhere near as well as the even older original visuals either.

Glowsquid

Did anyone play the two M2-developed "Rebirth" titles from Konami? I think there was a Castlevania one, and Contra. Always wondered if they were worth a shot.

I thought Gradius Rebirth was a bit gash. Like, it doesn't have any huge obvious flaws, but it's a combination of many things: The recycling of past level themes and setpieces with little to call its own (the first boss even is Big Core with absolutely no gimmick to make him different from previous encounters), the mediocre aesthetics (check out dem sick explosions), how the game trimmed down cuztomisation to the point you can't even choose your type of shield (something you could do since Gradius II, in 1989)... etc. There were an handful of promising moments (the weather-changing gimmick in the first stage, the 2nd boss) and the nods to the MSX games were cute, but overall, a mediocre, dull game.

Maybe it's more fun on later loops. I heard the two other Rebirth games are much better, but I haven't played them.
----

I remember Space Invaders: Get Even looked cool at the time of release but I never got around palying it. What's the concensus.

maxcriden

Threadを反ります!ありがとうございますToadさん!

The thread came back! Oh. I'm so surprised. Thanks, TTM! I was very glad for the replies these threads did get but honestly surprised they didn't garner more responses. So I'm heartened to see so more replies now. ☺

mr_chun

Glad to see lots of people mentioning Excitebike World Rally. Definitely one of my favorite Wii games. For me, it was one of those games that I was just naturally good at; it was "that" game for me, the one that I just couldn't lose at. I don't remember losing online races. Shame that Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection is dead.

Nudull

Banned
The Phoenix Wright Wiiware ports were very enjoyable and worked well under a console dependent on a single screen (yeah, I know they were originally GBA games, but still).

Lostwinds and its sequel deserve love too, as does FF Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King/Darklord, Castlevania The Adventure ReBirth and Dr. Mario Online Rx.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Onslaught was a surprisingly solid FPS by Hudsonsoft (I think?) where you control a squad of space soldiers against bugs. It was fun and arcade-y and the missions were well thought out and "that's why you're still a kid". Definitely up there with the best of WiiWare, like Contra ReBirth.

foltzie1

It is still disappointing that Nintendo didn't implement some sort of pass through booting that would allow you to put the game icons on the Wii U menu ala the Wii download games.

My favorites are Nyx and Bit. trip runner.

Nyx was a tranquil bliss, and I could not help but love her as she flowed over those isolated lands.

Runner was kinda the opposite, it was pompous and never failed to give me an adrenaline rush.

I also enjoyed Lit and Contra Rebirth alot.
WiiWare is such an underappreciated platform; so many great games.

cj_iwakura

There's no way to get this stuff anymore, is there?

For me, it's Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles - My Life as a Darklord. Addictive tower defense, and boy does it escalate quickly.

foltzie1

There's no way to get this stuff anymore, is there?

For me, it's Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles - My Life as a Darklord. Addictive tower defense, and boy does it escalate quickly.

There most certainly is, the Wii shop is still up and it accepts CC.

Another shout-out to the Ace Attorney ports. The Wii Remote just makes them so accessible to play. It's entirely possible to just clutch the device in one hand, fold your arms over and play the game lying down lazily on a sofa, since all critical actions in the game only use the D-Pad, A and B buttons.

Threadを反ります!ありがとうございますToadさん!

The thread came back! Oh. I'm so surprised. Thanks, TTM! I was very glad for the replies these threads did get but honestly surprised they didn't garner more responses. So I'm heartened to see so more replies now. ☺

No problem - I've been wanting to revisit WiiWare now that I'm catching up on DSiWare stuff I missed. Reflect Missile is amazing!

That's someone who doesn't know the difference between the Wii Shop Channel and Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection.

Sadly I see it a lot online, people think the Wii Shop Channel got shut down. They are likely people who don't have a Wii U, or don't play Wii anymore. It's a shame.

It is still disappointing that Nintendo didn't implement some sort of pass through booting that would allow you to put the game icons on the Wii U menu ala the Wii download games.

This. I was expecting something like how 3DS handled DS/DSi software - launch from the home menu and boot straight into the firmware for DS titles.

Now that Nintendo has sorted out a pass through booting for Virtual Console Wii games, it'd be nice if they let people migrate all their digital Wii software to the Wii U home screen. Nintendo should have migrated all WiiWare and VC titles to the Wii U eShop as well like they did DSiWare on 3DS. That'd have given the best games on the service a second chance, much like how DSiWare did on 3DS in the early days, when combined with Nintendo's themed shop rack layout in the store itself. Though I guess Nintendo leaving WiiWare in "Wii Mode" does mean the shop channel will continue to stay open for both Wii U and Wii owners. But it'll be a real shame if they don't migrate the content before the Wii Shop Channel closes.

TheMoon

Another shout-out to the Ace Attorney ports. The Wii Remote just makes them so accessible to play. It's entirely possible to just clutch the device in one hand, fold your arms over and play the game lying down lazily on a sofa, since all critical actions in the game only use the D-Pad, A and B buttons.

No problem - I've been wanting to revisit WiiWare now that I'm catching up on DSiWare stuff I missed. Reflect Missile is amazing!

Sadly I see it a lot online, people think the Wii Shop Channel got shut down. They are likely people who don't have a Wii U, or don't play Wii anymore. It's a shame.

This. I was expecting something like how 3DS handled DS/DSi software - launch from the home menu and boot straight into the firmware for DS titles.

Now that Nintendo has sorted out a pass through booting for Virtual Console Wii games, it'd be nice if they let people migrate all their digital Wii software to the Wii U home screen. Nintendo should have migrated all WiiWare and VC titles to the Wii U eShop as well like they did DSiWare on 3DS. That'd have given the best games on the service a second chance, much like how DSiWare did on 3DS in the early days, when combined with Nintendo's themed shop rack layout in the store itself. Though I guess Nintendo leaving WiiWare in "Wii Mode" does mean the shop channel will continue to stay open for both Wii U and Wii owners. But it'll be a real shame if they don't migrate the content before the Wii Shop Channel closes.

That would be another headache for NERD to deal with then.

D_prOdigy

Nobody has said MotoHeroz

A feature-rich Trials-style game (from the makers of Trials) that went the extra mile with online leaderboards and whatnot.

A very very very good game that came very late in WiiWare's life and was largely ignored.

TheMoon

Nobody has said MotoHeroz

A feature-rich Trials-style game that went the extra mile with online leaderboards and whatnot.

A very very very good game that came very late in WiiWare's life and was largely ignored.

you should maybe say it's a Trials-style game from the makers of Trials :)

EmiPrime

I bought You, Me and the Cubes, Excitebike WC, WarioWare DIY and Penta Tentacles today. I already have the Konami M2 games and there's still a few more I want too.

Please stop making me panic buy your stuff Nintendo.

maxcriden

I bought You, Me and the Cubes, Excitebike WC, WarioWare DIY and Penta Tentacles today. I already have the Konami M2 games and there's still a few more I want too.

Please stop making me panic buy your stuff Nintendo.

I'll be interested to hear your impressions for sure.

Eager for more thoughts on Lit also, still never did pick it up.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I absolutely loved Cubello, a cross between a shooter and a puzzle game with stylish mnml graphics. Hoping that with the Switchs ir sensor we get a port or something.

rjc571

Banned
I'll be interested to hear your impressions for sure.

Eager for more thoughts on Lit also, still never did pick it up.

Lit's really cool. It uses a fairly familiar puzzle game concept of needing to create a safe traversal path from one point to another, but the game's unique setting and mechanics make it feel very organic and unlike anything you've ever played before, It's fairly short but the levels get pretty tricky towards the end by forcing you to be creative in combining different light sources, and blending in some light action elements as well. Also, +1 for having the coolest implementation of the Wiimote speaker ever.

maxcriden

Lit's really cool. It uses a fairly familiar puzzle game concept of needing to create a safe traversal path from one point to another, but the game's unique setting and mechanics make it feel very organic and unlike anything you've ever played before, It's fairly short but the levels get pretty tricky towards the end by forcing you to be creative in combining different light sources, and blending in some light action elements as well. Also, +1 for having the coolest implementation of the Wiimote speaker ever.

Thanks for the recommendation! It sounds like a lot of fun, and I'm looking forward to checking it out, especially since we tend to have similar taste in games.

Top Bottom