• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's play some Motorstorm!

JB1981

Ok. The online actually is not a total disaster. You can change tracks in the post-game lobby. You don't have to exit out. For me, the netcode has been prety solid. There's been some slowdown here and there, but on the whole everything has been pretty stable.

The game is a total rush when it works.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
JB1981 said:
Ok. The online actually is not a total disaster. You can change tracks in the post-game lobby. You don't have to exit out. For me, the netcode has been prety solid. There's been some slowdown here and there, but on the whole everything has been pretty stable.

The game is a total rush when it works.

Yeah, rush back to EB for your money back!

Actually, it was really fun. It needs help though. A *lot* of help. Microphones dropping out, lobbies hanging in limbo, hosting issues... it's pretty rough. The worst is when you get back to the lobby after a race and no one can pick a track or start a race.

Zeenbor

Just bought this sucker and loving every minute of it... Too bad I can't join the GAF game, though! :( Damn lobbies are restricted to 12. :(

Edit: Just got in1!!!!!

Cheeto

The lobby system and online functionality of this game is very lacking. I'm severely dissappointed that I held out for the US release of this game. A friends list!? Private Matchs??? Invites??? Is that really to much to ask for?

I resorted to using my PC and my 360 tonight to voice chat and find my friends in the game. Not to mention that in most of the games with over 6 people the opponent vehicles were jumping all around the track. We finally conceeded that the friend invites and whatnot will be part of the Home platform and that Motorstorm is built to support it. If it's not, then there is no excuse for this...absolute abomination. I shouldn't have to go into an Uno room on the 360 and play my PS3 with my 360 headset to voice-chat and find my friends. I'm really ticked off that none of the reviews I've read mentioned this as well and now I feel shafted out of $60.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't understand the whole "advancement" from the post-game screen.

The host is supposed to be able to advance, but if you press X (aka advance), it just shows you the character stats screen for whoever you have highlighted. There is no advance menu.

It's freaking broken. It doesn't work.

I give the game 9.5/10 and the interface design 5/10. I had a BLAST with GAF tonight.

JB1981

WhatRuOn said:
The lobby system and online functionality of this game is very lacking. I'm severely dissappointed that I held out for the US release of this game. A friends list!? Private Matchs??? Invites??? Is that really to much to ask for?

I resorted to using my PC and my 360 tonight to voice chat and find my friends in the game. Not to mention that in most of the games with over 6 people the opponent vehicles were jumping all around the track. We finally conceeded that the friend invites and whatnot will be part of the Home platform and that Motorstorm is built to support it. If it's not, then there is no excuse for this...absolute abomination. I shouldn't have to go into an Uno room on the 360 and play my PS3 with my 360 headset to voice-chat and find my friends. I'm really ticked off that none of the reviews I've read mentioned this as well and now I feel shafted out of $60.

I agree that the multiplayer setup is pretty shit, but we discussed all this well before the game came out. How did you not know?

Just played a couple games online...man is that fun, I NEED to go buy a headset badly:lol
It seemed like everybody had one except me. Still great fun!

PSNID: BowserDX.... add me I should be on tomorrow night as well

Kittonwy

Banned
I'm back in for a couple then I'll take the rest of the night off. Got some studying to do.
gladtomeetya.gif

Cheeto

JB1981 said:
I agree that the multiplayer setup is pretty shit, but we discussed all this well before the game came out. How did you not know?
I don't know actually, after playing the demo I was pretty much already sold on it and it flew under my radar. I saw the good reviews and that was it. Lesson Learned I guess.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Worst online ever. Get all loaded into a game...DISCONNECT. UNABLE TO CONNECT TO SERVER.

It wouldn't have been so bad if it didn't take forever to load your car selection and then the track.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I haven't ever been disconnected from a server, but the room disappearing after I left was strange. It only happened once.

JB1981

Y2Kevbug11 said:
I haven't ever been disconnected from a server, but the room disappearing after I left was strange. It only happened once.

I haven't been disconnected either. In fact, our last session of games went really smoothly. Don't know why you guys are having problems. My mic was fine as well (it just died near the end that's why i wasn't talking).

deejay8595

my posts are "MEH"
The game is great and fun as hell online but there are some serious bugs that need to be ironed out.

1.If your the host and after the race is over sometimes you cannot advance to the game selection screen. It forces you to cancel out your hosted game.

2.You can't make rooms password protected nor can you boot people out of the room

3.I can't see what level the host picked which causes other player to pick the wrong car beforhand

4.Sometimes the race doesn't even start and you are left looking at the camera pan around all the players waiting for the race to start. Me and 3 other buddies had to quit the entire game which lead us back to the PS3 XMB.

5.Headsets are going on and off.

6.In one game I had another players name instead of mine. Everyone in that race had the same name which caused us to all quit the game.

7. Not being able to chat in the lobby hile waiting?...Come on now..lol

Please release a patch that fixes most of this stuff. There isn't anything wrong with the core gameplay just with the presentation.

DarkAngelYuna said:
Dont bother with that, its not like I'm the only one..
That wasn't what I was getting at. I remember you were looking forward to this game.

I do like the game though despite the obvious, and hope most of you are able to bear with all the unfortunate problems to keep the community alive.

jjasper

deejay8595 said:
The game is great and fun as hell online but there are some serious bugs that need to be ironed out.

1.If your the host and after the race is over sometimes you cannot advance to the game selection screen. It forces you to cancel out your hosted game.

2.You can't make rooms password protected nor can you boot people out of the room

3.I can't see what level the host picked which causes other player to pick the wrong car beforhand

4.Sometimes the race doesn't even start and you are left looking at the camera pan around all the players waiting for the race to start. Me and 3 other buddies had to quit the entire game which lead us back to the PS3 XMB.

5.Headsets are going on and off.

6.In one game I had another players name instead of mine. Everyone in that race had the same name which caused us to all quit the game.

7. Not being able to chat in the lobby hile waiting?...Come on now..lol

Please release a patch that fixes most of this stuff. There isn't anything wrong with the core gameplay just with the presentation.

Some of those are related, like mics are on in the lobby you just can't tell cause like you said just go on and off unless you are talking about text chat which is missing and should be in there

Never had the problem where the race doesn't start or name mess up
Have had the problem of not being able to configure the race
The track is listed in the bottom left in the lobby before you pick your cars/bike.etc
Agree about passwords they need to be in there and hosts need boot power

Kittonwy

Banned
ManaByte said:
And I wanted to smash you in the face with a sledgehammer more than ever.

Hurhurhur. Taunting people in my big rig when I'm behind them and getting them to boost off the cliff or into a rock is F U N.
Indifferent2.gif

Even though the online set-up is bareboned, it turns out pretty well for those of us who just want to race, while not pain-free, it's been a lot of fun.

Anyway, I'm off for the night.
Indifferent2.gif

Well, I more or less picked up my ps3 last week for Motorstorm. So far, I'm disappointed with it.

As everyone has mentioned, the online is an absolute mess. I can't even connect to a race. I get into a lobby, and that's as far as I get. Am I missing something?

Load times are pretty long as well, which was quite surprising.

Glad I picked up VF5 though. It'll keep my ps3 warm for a long, long time :)

Oh, and my PSNID is... urMomsKrustyBox (same as my Live one) Add me!

PS360

Banned
I was most anticipating online in this game and thus far it's met my expectations. Plenty of people playing (almost 1000 at about 10pm tonight across the US servers + australian) and no lag.

There IS a different kind of lag...with loading cars for example. Takes WAY too f'ing long.

But anyway, PSN is RexWolf. Definitely will be playing tomorrow.

hardwire cable here by the way. Those of you having problems, any issues with slow D/Ls on PSN/other games?

Online seems to work fine for me, but it'd be great to be able to spectate a race in progress. Sitting in the room blows.

Man, I hope Evolution/Sony fixes all this crap asap. I've been looking forward to buying/playing this game, but with all the feedback so far, I'd rather play God of War 2 next week and wait for them to patch Motorstorm.

I can't believe they messed up. I mean, they had so much extra time to polish it, but I guess not every developer are as talented as Insomniac was with Resistance.

Kittonwy

Banned
Crackerman16 said:
Man, I hope Evolution/Sony fixes all this crap asap. I've been looking forward to buying/playing this game, but with all the feedback so far, I'd rather play God of War 2 next week and wait for them to patch Motorstorm.

I can't believe they messed up. I mean, they had so much extra time to polish it, but I guess not every developer are as talented as Insomniac was with Resistance.

Once you've made a room, it's not really that hard for people from gaf to find the room and join. It's just a problem of in-game communication, i.e. not being able to PM people or invite people or join a friend in an existing game, of course those things SHOULD BE FIXED, and I believe they can be. However, the actual online gameplay is far from being flawed, it's incredibly fun, something that should not be missed.

Kittonwy said:
Once you've made a room, it's not really that hard for people from gaf to find the room and join. It's just a problem of in-game communication, i.e. not being able to PM people or invite people or join a friend in an existing game, of course those things SHOULD BE FIXED, and I believe they can be. However, the actual online gameplay is far from being flawed, it's incredibly fun, something that should not be missed.

Yeah, that's why I'm gonna wait a bit for them to fix/add the online communication options, community features, and other minor, but annoying issues that shouldn't have been a problem in the first place...

I will buy Motorstorm. It's just a matter of 'when.'

things might get better as their server load goes down or they get more servers up as far as disconnects and glitched rooms go. the first couple of days of online games are often patchy.

good thing for me that i'm enjoying the single player so far. hopefully by the time i've seen all the tracks and had a chance to use most of the vehicles the online situation will have settled down a bit even if it hasn't been patched.

Ceb

Crackerman16 said:
Yeah, that's why I'm gonna wait a bit for them to fix/add the online communication options, community features, and other minor, but annoying issues that shouldn't have been a problem in the first place...

I will buy Motorstorm. It's just a matter of 'when.'

Same here. I'm a big PS3 supporter, but this is unacceptable. Take notes, Evo. :)

Top Bottom