• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's recommend Video Game Keynotes and Post-mortems

dosh

The other day, I watched the awesome (albeit badly shot) IGDA keynote by Neil Druckmann about The last of us.
If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend taking a look. It's one hour long and really interesting.
You can find it here: Write with the Flow - The Last of Us Story Post-mortem.

At that point, I wanted more and started going through the free content at the GDC Vault.
Unfortunately, access to many of the most interesting keynotes videos requires to be a member which is understandable, but a bit pricey for a non-professional video games enthusiast. The slides are usually free though, so there's that.

Anyway, some of the keynotes (mostly about design, narration and visual development) I liked:

Creating a sequel to a game that doesn't need one
- Portal 2 - Erik Walpow and Chet Faliszek
Crafting Destruction: The Evolution of the Dead Space User Interface - Dino Ignacio
Beyond Horror: Art Directing Dead Space 2 - Ian Milham
Designing Journey - Jenova Chen
Classic Game Post-mortem : Fallout - Tim Cain
The Long View - Mark Cerny
Creative Panic: How Agility Turned Terror Into Triumph - Double Fine

There are also a few videos from DICE Summit, IGDA, ECGC and other events on Youtube, such as Storytelling Across Platforms by JJ Abrams and Gabe Newell.
And not video games related, but I also recommend The mystery box, another talk by JJ Abrams about narration.

So, fellow GAFfers, do you know any great keynotes and post-mortems? Let's share them.

Top Bottom